Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-21-2007, 09:48 AM   #1
KaoruKamiya
May all your bacon burn

Anyone know how to make fake chains?

Its for Homura from Sayuki, those chains, I don't really have the time to actually weld the chains, nor the money at this moment, but I don't want the chains to look fake either, should I go ahead and just weld the chains to the arm bands or make fake ones? And I don't have time to order wonderflex either, so any ideas?
  4. Hinata
  5. Gothic Lolita
KaoruKamiya is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-21-2007, 10:15 AM   #2
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Reference pics would help, but I was in a good mood so I looked it up myself.

From what I could tell, the thing that would look most realistic is to buy a spool of thick wire (check out a hardware store or get armature wire from an art supply store), cut lengths, and use pliers to shape them into links. Then the wire could be attached to the bracers on his wrists. It would take a long time, though, depending on how long that chain actually needs to be. I'm trying to think of other materials you could have handy that could be shaped and, say, spraypainted silver or something, but right now I'm a little fried.

--Penny
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2007, 09:31 PM   #3
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

You can buy a length of chain at any hardware store.

They usually have it in different sizes, too.

Just go in and ask someone to help you, for the most part (unless they're the kind of Home Depot idiots I always run into) they'll show you right to it and help you measure and cut a length you want.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2007, 01:58 AM   #4
verdatum
Extremely registered user

if it needs to be lightweight, the plastic chain can be spraypainted metallic, and it does quite well. Cheap too. Hardware Store For Teh Win!!

Personally, I need to custom make or mod a chain through pewter casting techniques. This is to get the harness chain for Ryuk's Holster (Death Note).
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~pg1/ryuk/...;20(Small).jpg
I gotta either bond those little skulls onto links of the chain, or create pewter chain links with the skull and intersperse them with regular chain links. It has to be strong and sturdy, so that's why I'm leaning towards bonding the skulls onto real chain. And the technique is gonna be wild, however I finally go about it. It will probably involve a two-part silicone mold.
Unread 03-22-2007, 03:12 PM   #5
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

I know wildly involved projects are your thing, Verdatum, but for less ambitious people there are always skull beads, which you can find top-drilled. Those can simply have an eye pin stuck through them to be linked with the chain.

Good call on the plastic chain, though. I'd never have thought of that.

--Penny
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
Unread 03-22-2007, 03:42 PM   #6
whoamiinside
Kitsune

Your best bet would probably be going to a craft store and looking for the chains in the jewelry department. They usually have thin chains, cheap that you can make custom lengths for yourself. Trust me. Me and my friends are very hands on.
whoamiinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2007, 09:54 PM   #7
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Uhhh...Homura's chains are about three to four FEET long. Not jewelry chain. Not custom chain. Plain manacle chains at a very long length.

I'm telling you, go to the hardware store. They have metal chain, and it's not heavy. Playground chain, dog-leash chain, all kinds of chain. On big spools. Or at set lengths. Not expensive. Very easy. My friend has done Homura and that was how she went about getting about a four foot length of chain - honestly, she said making the manacles for her wrists was the harder part!

(see the metal chains: http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=419372 - GreenFire says they're cheaper than any alternatives and not heavy!)

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com

Last edited by CapsuleCorp : 03-22-2007 at 10:23 PM.
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2007, 08:14 AM   #8
verdatum
Extremely registered user

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
I know wildly involved projects are your thing, Verdatum, but for less ambitious people there are always skull beads, which you can find top-drilled. Those can simply have an eye pin stuck through them to be linked with the chain.

Good call on the plastic chain, though. I'd never have thought of that.

--Penny
Hey wow, this is a really neat site! The skulls look awesome, but are a bit small. however, this may solve my earring dillema. Joy
Unread 03-23-2007, 01:05 PM   #9
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdatum View Post
Hey wow, this is a really neat site! The skulls look awesome, but are a bit small. however, this may solve my earring dillema. Joy
FMG is totally awesome; I go to them for virtually all my jewelry needs (and I make a crapload of jewelry). I figured the skulls would be a little small, but I also figured I'm not the only person out there who'd be willing to compromise the size so as to not have to forge my own! But I'm glad it may be of some help to you.

--PD
Unread 03-24-2007, 06:59 AM   #10
eBay Sniper
Sanguini Draculae

eh, awesome with this knowledge i can make a con-safe Vampire Killer (since most cons wioll not allow actual leather whips) based off of the 2D Castlevanias, YES!

2014 cons: Whatever happens down in Pensacola or where ever life takes me!

Deviant Art - http://scarlet-impaler.deviantart.com/
Facebook - www.facebook.com/marluxia.tepes
eBay Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2007, 11:48 PM   #11
whoamiinside
Kitsune

You could always look at chains for chaining dogs to yards. I'm going to be hitting up my local pet store for collars, I'll have to check how heavy they are...they're probably heavy though so nix that. But yeah, after going to look for chains for my Ritsuka costume, hardware store chains will probably work.
whoamiinside is offline   Reply With Quote