Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.85 average.
Unread 08-02-2006, 12:41 PM   #31
KariWolf
wandering in darkness

this thread will be very useful..never sewed before in my life.....this will help me alot..thanks guys!!!
And my body that crouches in the shadow.

Not all who wander are lost.
KariWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-03-2006, 11:35 PM   #32
PinqFuu
Masochist Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleryth
Came across this term the other day, and didn't find it on sewing.org.

What is a French-felled seam?

I don't know if it's the same as a French seam or a flat-felled seam, or if it's a French seam that's been ironed over and then sewn (felled?).

This page has a picture and talks about it a little bit (http://www.amefird.com/puckerwoven.htm), and although I'm usually good with understanding diagrams, I can't quite figure out how one would actually sew that. All the searches in google for "how to" and "french felled" kept bringing up references of a "how to repair your outdoor equipment" book review. :/

EDIT: Ok, I think I figured it out (I took some paper and folded it and pretended it was fabric).

How useful is this stitch? It seems rather permanent, and only for something that you know fits exactly due to the way it's folded over. I think they might be handy on something like a yukata or kimono since it's very straight lines with little variation.

Does anyone use French-felled seams?

French seams are usually required for delicate fabrics like a chiffon. Something that tears and frays REALLY easily or a light a weave. The normal French seam is when you place wrong sides together and sew 1/4" and then fold it back over right sides together and sew 1/4". That way you encase the seam in on itself.

A felled seam, regular flat felled or a french felled, means you stitch on the outside for extra protection. High priced jeans use flat felled seams for denim. A french felled would just be added protection as well, since you've made a small pocket for the seam inside your garment with your french seam, to anchor it you'd press it towards the back of the garment and stitch on down the edge that isn't sewn. You probably wouldn't do that for a fancy chiffon garment, but maybe if you were making a very lightweight jacket with outside stitching accents that would match.

Hope that helps, my measurements may be a bit off, I'm going by memory and I don't use these types of seams frequently. Just remembering from class.
Unread 08-20-2006, 12:56 AM   #33
AJREDDSON
Banned

Y’all forgot one important term:
darn•ing v. intr.: That mess of thread, cloth, and occasionally blood and small body parts men like to call “Sewing.”
AJREDDSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2006, 07:09 PM   #34
SpaurhSpoor

Oh I find a good resource that shows you what kind of sewing needles to use on certion fabrics. http://www.wwwearables.com/savvy/needles.htm

Always try to be nice people and don't allow hate to destory your heart and your joy of life.

Currently working on my first cosplay as Lafiel from Crest of the Stars. 1% finished
SpaurhSpoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2006, 07:10 PM   #35
SpaurhSpoor

Oh I find a good resource that shows you what kind of sewing needles to use on certion fabrics. http://www.wwwearables.com/savvy/needles.htm

Oh I'am sorry that I double post by mistake, can so remove this post please. Thank you.

Always try to be nice people and don't allow hate to destory your heart and your joy of life.

Currently working on my first cosplay as Lafiel from Crest of the Stars. 1% finished

Last edited by SpaurhSpoor : 11-28-2006 at 07:13 PM.
Unread 12-01-2006, 08:01 PM   #36
KillaBeeSwarm
Calmer than you are.

My hand and machine sewing skills are limited so this thread is perfect.

SpaurhSpoor: the link you gave didn't work when I tried it Is http://www.wwwearables.com/technique...ng_needles.htm the correct link?
KillaBeeSwarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2007, 11:55 PM   #37
SpaurhSpoor

Thanks for putting up the correct link, Killabeeswarm.

Unread 03-27-2007, 05:59 PM   #38
KillaBeeSwarm
Calmer than you are.

Any one have any resources describing how to do a stay-stitch by hand? I know where and why, but not how. I think it's something really simple about doing a stay stitch by hand that I'm missing, and it's preventing me from figuring it out.
Unread 04-03-2007, 08:49 PM   #39
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

If done by machine, stay-stitch is just the regular stitch, so I'd assume it's a normal stitch by hand, as well. Just like running stitches or something, but probably a bit smaller and closer together.

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2007, 03:16 PM   #40
KillaBeeSwarm
Calmer than you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleryth View Post
If done by machine, stay-stitch is just the regular stitch, so I'd assume it's a normal stitch by hand, as well. Just like running stitches or something, but probably a bit smaller and closer together.
Thanks Eleryth.
Unread 05-12-2007, 02:40 PM   #41
AtashiStar
Tamaki, you womanizer!

Does any one know how to sew gores in fabric? I need to make my Sloth cosplay (link 1) "kink out" when it hits my knees like in the anime (link 2.)

Total n00b talkin' here. So please go a little bit easy on me in the explaination.

Last edited by AtashiStar : 05-12-2007 at 02:43 PM.
AtashiStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 03:59 PM   #42
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtashiStar View Post
Does any one know how to sew gores in fabric? I need to make my Sloth cosplay (link 1) "kink out" when it hits my knees like in the anime (link 2.)

Total n00b talkin' here. So please go a little bit easy on me in the explaination.

The gore is just a big isoceles triangle of fabric (a base and two equal sides). This is how I would do it:

A. Decide how big you want the circumference of your hem to be when it's done

B. Measure the current circumference of the hem

C. Decide how many gores you want to put in - for example, if you decide on six that would be two in the front, two in the back and one in each side seam

D. Calculate (B - A)/C. That will give you how long the base of each triangle should be. If you are picky about measurement or are going to use lots of gores, you will have to take into account seam allowances. Then the calcuation is (B - A + 2x(#of gores NOT going into a seam)xseam allowance))/C.

E. Measure from the hem to your knee (or whereever you want the gore to start). This is the height of the triangle.

F. On your pattern paper, draw a line for the base (the length from D). At the mid-point of the base, draw a line perpendicular that is the length from E. Draw lines connecting the top of this line to each corner of the base. There's your basic triangle. From this, don't forget to add a seam allowance at the top and sides and add some on the bottom for the hem (I'd add at least 2" for the hem - always easier to shorten than lengthen, and you may have to trim the edge to get the right curvature).

G. Make equally spaced slits (and/or split seams) around the dress - same number as number of gores. Definitely a situation to measure twice (if not three times!) and cut once! Just a suggestion - I'd try gores in the side seams first to see how it looks before I actually cut the dress to accommodate the other gores.

H. Pin gore into slit. Sew up one side, across the top (you will not have a perfect point, but should be close) down the other side. Once you are happy with how it looks, sew back and forth a little bit (.5" or less) across the narrow end of the triangle to strengthen it - there's a lot of stress on that point. Repeat for every gore.

If looking at a pattern will give you more confidence, the Simplicity Jack Sparrow pattern, oops! I mean, "generic pirate costume" (anyway, #4923) has gores in the coat. But they're really not that hard to do! Good luck!
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2007, 11:05 PM   #43
SpaurhSpoor

How have a few tips on those who never sew before as well, if you are having trouble figure out how much fabric you need, bring the pattern to fabric store and ask the sell person for help. That why you will not buy up so much fabric you really don't need and write down on pattern or post-it how many yards use for the pattern.
Also here are two great links that teach you how to sew and other important information on sewing.

http://www.taunton.com/threads/

http://besewstylish.taunton.com/n/bl...g=besewstylish

Last edited by SpaurhSpoor : 05-15-2007 at 11:07 PM. Reason: grammer error!
Unread 06-13-2007, 04:09 PM   #44
SpaurhSpoor

Oh, I got a great tip if don't want to cut the oringal pattern and don't have roll of tracing paper. Use copyer paper instead and scrotoh tape to make copy of your pattern.

Unread 07-23-2007, 10:23 PM   #45
Ender_06
O.o

Do you guys use 3 or 4 thread overlock stitching? Ive been wanting to, to keep the edges of the fabric from fraying... but my machine won't do it (the closest thing I can get are triangles....) And how much would a machine that does that cost?

Nebraska's first anime convention:
Anime Nebraskon
www.animenebraskon.com

ARX-7 (Arbalest) worklog (5%): Here

Future cosplays:
Sousuke Sagara and Arbalest - Full Metal Panic
Kurosaki Ichigo - Bleach
Minami Ikki - Air Gear
Sai - Naruto Shippuden
Ender_06 is offline   Reply With Quote