Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Matsuri

Unread 04-29-2007, 04:45 PM   #1
tahiti
Rockin' the shabanga!

After Anime Matsuri: The Pics, Reviews, Etc Thread

No pics right now, but I should get them up soon. (Or at least the ones that I promised I'd get out to people.) Anybody get pictures of my Honey-chan (Friday night), my Wonderland!Honey-chan, or my sister and I as the twins on Sunday? Thanks!

So... Anime Matsuri. I had high expectations of this con, just from the look of the website and how they were setting up things. I had some reservations regarding how they booked some of the hotel rooms, but it didn't want it to bother me too much.
My MAJOR problem with this con: NO FIRST AID. I was LIVID at the fact that there were no first aid staff on hand for this con. My sister, Goofy, got overheated and felt nauseated, and was in need of first aid. One security guard was nice enough to go and fetch an off-duty paramedic from ANOTHER EVENT. What kind of con, first year or no, doesn't have any kind of first aid? Considering how many people come, and the activities (raves, concerts, etc), it's almost irresponsible to not have first aid.
I had some other problems, like the registration line. It was a little ridiculous. It seemed like pre-reg didn't move, while the on-site registration moved a little faster. Little bit faster.
Another, barely ANY water around the areas. The only water dispensers I saw were in the dealer rooms, and when I did see them, most of the seemed to be empty, waiting to be replaced.
And why did they stop the ascending escalator on the 2nd floor of the convention? They were preventing people from going upstairs, but I didn't understand why. This was around the time of the concerts.
The rest of my complaints are little things, like the Transformers movie trailer playing over and over while in the registration line, and the lack of schedules/maps, etc.

Any fun I had at this con was overshadowed simply by the fact that when someone got hurt, there was no first aid for them on staff. Again, to me, that's irresponsible. I sincerely doubt I'll be returning to this con.

Chihiro: Daddy, are we lost?
Dad: Don't worry, I've got four-wheel drive. (Spirited Away)
tahiti is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
rednecko

I am not on Anime Matsuri staff. I have debated this on the con I help with. We don't have a First Aid or Medical staff at our con. We call in professionals to handle our emergencies because it is a Liability issue. Conventions can be held liable for what happens to con attendees being treated by "Medical" staffs. It is sometimes a choice between higher event liability insurance rates or a cool guest. We are also in a hotel. Not all convention centers have "Medical" staffs or nurses, please remember that.

How long did you wait to pick up your Pre-Registration? The lack of maps and schedules are unacceptable for any con.
rednecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2007, 08:10 PM   #3
Farasha
Spazkat

Tahiti, we have a picture of you in Alice!Hunny-chan, and I'll get it to you as soon as Lady Marion (Faye) gets it to me.

If anyone got pictures of the following on these days, I would be everlastingly grateful if you send them to me or post linkage:

Friday and Saturday: Calintz (Magna Carta: Tears of Blood)

Sunday: Tifa (Advent Children, the one with the vynil vest that doesn't match the apron and the Tony Hawk shorts)

I don't really need to gripe, since the Kingdom Hearts I Cloud and the girl he was with got ALL of my gripes, and they will probably be up on YouTube, and I will link to it once they put it up. XD

Convention Schedule
Anime Matsuri 2013 March 29-31
A-kon 2013 May 31-June 2
San Japan 2013 August 16-18

Costume Plans
Princess Euphemia Li Britannia - Code Geass
Duchess Satine of Mandalor - Star Wars the Clone Wars
Farasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2007, 08:20 PM   #4
FE Freak
buys Arda Wig exclusively

The abhorrently long Pre-reg line,paying 5 bucks for a pass,and lack of signs turned me off con wise.Everything else was cosplay related.
FE Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2007, 08:22 PM   #5
loserific
Zombie Seamstress

Overall, the con was fun for me, but I totally agree with you about the registration line. >> When my group got there on Friday at about 2 in the afternoon, we were told that everyone, pre-reg and reg, needed to stand in one line and then would spilt at one point. We waited for nearly three hours and most of the time the line wasn't even moving! When we got close enough, we saw the pre-reg line, which had almost no one in it, and jumped to it. ><;;; What is the point in pre-registration if we still had to wait in a long line??

Sorry, but it was a bit annoying. The other problem we had was the lack of schedules. On top of it all, the Awards Breakfast really made all the cosplayers that won really mad. >> Don't even get me started. xD

But even though there were some problems, it was nice for the first year. I think my group and I will be coming back only because it's the only con that we can go all three days and doesn't cost *that* much.

And as for pictures, my friend has them all. >< She will be posting them soon though. <33 Oh, and I was in the Gravitation group on Friday and Misa from Death Note on Saturday..and a little more of Gravi on Sunday. ^_^
loserific is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2007, 08:44 PM   #6
FE Freak
buys Arda Wig exclusively

We arrived there at 12 ish and didnt get our badges until 3 o clock,due to them not printing out our group's badges.
FE Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2007, 08:48 PM   #7
tahiti
Rockin' the shabanga!

From what I was told by a security guard who helped take care of my sister, I don't think Anime Matsuri even called in any kind of medical professionals to have on hand at the event. Like I said, the off-duty paramedic that helped us was at another event that was going on at the convention center.
My group and I didn't prereg, but it seemed like we waited about two hours to get badges.
My sister and her group got there Thursday night and had to wait 2 hours to pick up their pre-reg badges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednecko View Post
I am not on Anime Matsuri staff. I have debated this on the con I help with. We don't have a First Aid or Medical staff at our con. We call in professionals to handle our emergencies because it is a Liability issue. Conventions can be held liable for what happens to con attendees being treated by "Medical" staffs. It is sometimes a choice between higher event liability insurance rates or a cool guest. We are also in a hotel. Not all convention centers have "Medical" staffs or nurses, please remember that.

How long did you wait to pick up your Pre-Registration? The lack of maps and schedules are unacceptable for any con.

Chihiro: Daddy, are we lost?
Dad: Don't worry, I've got four-wheel drive. (Spirited Away)
tahiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2007, 08:55 PM   #8
RavenSkies

the thing that pissed me off the most was in the room of ages as we were waiting for the concert to start, they moved us from our comfortable spots in the middle all the way to the side. i was perfectly situated in the middle. they didn't have to move us. it should have been optional at least. also, there was hardly any gaurding of the mosh pit. it would have been really easy for someone to push past a security gaurd and climb on the stage. the whole con was very unorganized. i was dissapointed. but then again, i kind of expected it, it being their first year and all.

also, my mom and i were wrath and izumi from Full Metal Alchemist. Link me or let me know if you have pictures of us. =]
RavenSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2007, 09:02 PM   #9
HanakoWings
Bah

I arrived extremly early, waited three hours to get my badge, and was at the FRONT of the line. I was one of the first to get my badge. This con was horrible. I already whined about it at the mashharder forums. I hope it does not come back for next year. I will boycot it. This con was just to exploit people out of their money!

Only good thing i did get out of it was my new friends. We plan to do a group cosplay for A-kon for the king of fighters. Anyone who's going, are you interested? We will evetually post a list of who we need, but you can go as anyone you like.

EDIT
Also, I'll post pics of yous people in my Deviantart account, although i should probably post all con pictures here. I warn you now, Only people who i think are Godly will go up.
HanakoWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2007, 09:19 PM   #10
Farasha
Spazkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by loserific View Post
Sorry, but it was a bit annoying. The other problem we had was the lack of schedules. On top of it all, the Awards Breakfast really made all the cosplayers that won really mad. >> Don't even get me started. xD
What do cosplayers do when they get bored? They try to make the water glasses sing and play Red Light, Green Light, of course! ^______^

Convention Schedule
Anime Matsuri 2013 March 29-31
A-kon 2013 May 31-June 2
San Japan 2013 August 16-18

Costume Plans
Princess Euphemia Li Britannia - Code Geass
Duchess Satine of Mandalor - Star Wars the Clone Wars
Farasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2007, 09:41 PM   #11
loserific
Zombie Seamstress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farasha View Post
What do cosplayers do when they get bored? They try to make the water glasses sing and play Red Light, Green Light, of course! ^______^
Oh why yes, we do! xD Kuma actually had a volunteer ask him to stop with the water glasses! xD He had three different pitches and everything! But it is understandable. ^^ Ah, cosplay Red Light, Green Light...that was way to much fun. xD
loserific is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2007, 09:47 PM   #12
HanakoWings
Bah

See, red light Green light. I heard about that. Didn't see it
HanakoWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2007, 09:51 PM   #13
Space Invader
Sparkle Butt

Hokay, here we go. This is my opinion on the con, and I'm going to be totally honest:

*Disorganized. Seriously, me and the other cosplay guests didn't have a CLUE as to what was going on or what all we were really expected to do. Event and panel start times and such kept getting juggled around so that was even MORE confusing!

*Lack of schedules and maps. Having to pay $5 for a programming booklet?! I realize that full-color booklets are not cheap to print, but unless you can give them away to the attendees for free I don't see why it's necessary. Even if you want to continue to do the full-color books, please have stacks of xerox copies of the con map and programming available for people to grab if they need one. ALSO - there were practically no signs - no one knew where such-and-such room was, or even if it was the right room to begin with! I noticed on Saturday some decals had been put up on the plaques outside the rooms, but I think something more noticeable was DEFINITELY needed.

*Shutting the con down in order to get people to go to the concert was a bad idea. Not everyone wants to go to the concerts, they want to continue playing their games, hanging out in the video rooms or doing whatever else!

*The way the two dealer rooms were set up was a tad bit confusing. That middle area being blocked off was really... odd. It was just a minor inconvenience, but it's something that could easily be corrected for next year.

*The Cosplay Contest needs MUCH more in the way of organization and planning. I'll leave it at that.

On a positive note, I want to thank all the staff that helped me and the other cosplay guests out. You guys were very nice and helpful and we all appreciated your hospitality, even though I feel like I may not have had a chance to express it.

{ I N L U M I N O }
Space Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2007, 10:00 PM   #14
megumibish
I should be drawing Yaoi.

I don't have much to say about the con that has been said or will be said.

I do have pictures from Saturday thou'. Just go to my gallery and you'll find them. I still managed to have fun doing stuff not provided via the con.
Unread 04-29-2007, 11:13 PM   #15
suger_snake
Suger

one thing needs to be said
ONE bagde for Every Thing, NOT add ons that cost a total of $120
suger_snake is offline   Reply With Quote