Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-05-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
temari-chan-yay
omfgichaichaparadise

Exclamation Archer Bow Tutorial ((and arrows))

Ok I found a couple of people asking how to make an archer bow for their cosplay. So here is a simple tutorial to help you guys out. I will add pics as soon as I can get some XD

Materials needed:
String (No yarn it will not work)
A piece of wood that can bend (you can buy it at your closest homedepot just ask for assistance thats what I did)
Paint (optionla its only if you want to paint it)
Super glue or hot glue

1. Gather your materials XD

2. If you are going to paint it I suggest you do it now before you continue. Don't forget to let it dry XD

3. Tie the string on both ends of the bow tight enough to make it bend to your length. But don't bend to too much it will break under too much stress.

4. Take the Super glue or Hot glue and put some of it on the string for extra support to keep it there.

5. Clap because you're done!

Sorry, the bow is NOT FUNCTIONAL. I can put a tutorial up for a functional one BUT cons won't let you bring it in. Only non-functional ones can.

EXTRA:

Okay time to make the arrows! XD
Materials:
Thin wodden poles ((You can buy it at your nearest Michaels))
Feathers or paper. ((I prefer feathers for a cool look))
Super glue or Hot Glue
Wonderflex (Or plastic I suggest wonderflex though))

1. Again, gather your materials.

2. Paint before you continue please.

3. Super glue or hot glue the feathers onto one side of the arrow.

4. Let it dry.

5. Form your wonderflex (of course after heating it) or cut your plastic (w/e you use) to a point ^ taht looks like an upside down V.

6. Hot glue or Super glue it onto the other side of the bow.

7. Clap because you are done!

I hope this helped you guys out atleast a little bit. ^^
The point in cosplaying is to not only be someone else for a day, but it's for having fun, comparing cosplays, eating (lol Choji), running around glomping your favorite people (and sometimes strangers), taking pictures, avoiding fan boys/fan girls, and the most important reason of all! To run up to a random Kakashi cosplayer, steal his Icha Icha paradise, running like hell to get away, and shouting "HA! I CAN READ IT NOW!"

I'll be at Otakon 2007!
Temari: 99.1%
My own character: 65%

Last edited by temari-chan-yay : 05-05-2007 at 05:56 PM.
temari-chan-yay is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-05-2007, 11:08 PM   #2
Hydraskylar
...promise...

hey could you please post the tutorial for making a functional bow? i think my con will allow it as long as the arrow is not functional
Hydraskylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
LizardMandy

Some conventions won't even allow a non-functional bow like the one you describe. The wood is under tension from the string and if it snaps it could hurt someone.

I'd suggest cutting a notch in both sides of the wood to loop the string through rather than just tying it, for added stability.

And then of course, check that this sort of faux-projectile won't be outlawed at your convention.
LizardMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
sacredtrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by temari-chan-yay View Post
Ok I found a couple of people asking how to make an archer bow for their cosplay. So here is a simple tutorial to help you guys out. I will add pics as soon as I can get some XD

Materials needed:
String (No yarn it will not work)
A piece of wood that can bend (you can buy it at your closest homedepot just ask for assistance thats what I did)
Paint (optionla its only if you want to paint it)
Super glue or hot glue

1. Gather your materials XD

2. If you are going to paint it I suggest you do it now before you continue. Don't forget to let it dry XD

3. Tie the string on both ends of the bow tight enough to make it bend to your length. But don't bend to too much it will break under too much stress.

4. Take the Super glue or Hot glue and put some of it on the string for extra support to keep it there.

5. Clap because you're done!

Sorry, the bow is NOT FUNCTIONAL. I can put a tutorial up for a functional one BUT cons won't let you bring it in. Only non-functional ones can.

EXTRA:

Okay time to make the arrows! XD
Materials:
Thin wodden poles ((You can buy it at your nearest Michaels))
Feathers or paper. ((I prefer feathers for a cool look))
Super glue or Hot Glue
Wonderflex (Or plastic I suggest wonderflex though))

1. Again, gather your materials.

2. Paint before you continue please.

3. Super glue or hot glue the feathers onto one side of the arrow.

4. Let it dry.

5. Form your wonderflex (of course after heating it) or cut your plastic (w/e you use) to a point ^ taht looks like an upside down V.

6. Hot glue or Super glue it onto the other side of the bow.

7. Clap because you are done!

I hope this helped you guys out atleast a little bit. ^^
nice tut. I would try it out but i have lots of home-made bows.anyway this will surly help out a few people.
sacredtrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2007, 06:03 PM   #5
Frozendice

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Bow-and-Arrow is a really good tutorial on how to make a functional bow. It's a guide that would usually be for someone who was making a bow in the wildreness or from raw materials so some of the steps can be skipped with a quick trip to your local hardware shop. Also if you don't want the bow to be functional you can also follow this tutorial, you just dont' need to be as serious, eg. the bow could have knots in the wood, the arrows could be longer/shorter, you could string it with whatever string you want.

When making the fletching(arrows) if you use a wooden dowel get a few feathers from a craft store also. Cut half of the soft part of each of the feathers off, so now you have the other half which is the soft part still attached to the hard "stem". Now take some tool and carve out slots in your dowel, fill that with glue, and stick the "stem" into the the slot with the glue. It will hold and all you'll be able to see is the soft part of the feather. Do this on 3 sides. It looks great.
Frozendice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2011, 05:05 PM   #6
TdotAkiChan
I am but A Lonely Angel

i think this'll come in handy in the future so thank you

~~Tenshi Akiyama ( IY OC since 2005)(天使秋山)~

love comes from the heart and soul, not from the eyes ku ku ku (|@ミ@|)

The heart is tainted only by our own hands.
TdotAkiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 03:53 AM   #7
The_Wolverine
Wes Mercer

i make the handle of the bow out of wood and then the "arms" of the bow out of aluminum from home depot and just bend the arms into shape so you dont need to string them for good pics. i have pics on my account under green arrow. it was really easy.
The_Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote