Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Seeking Cosplayers

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-27-2007, 03:06 PM   #46
John2p0
CosplayNoobExtraordinaire

j0, g33k from the indy area. 20 minutes west of it, anyway. who's goin to Acen 07? anyone? anyone? holla and represent the circle city!

Unread 05-01-2007, 02:36 AM   #47
LunarAlchemist

I'm a Hoosier Otaku,too! I'm not 'ashamed' to admit it, I just ignore people when they ask me if I'm "one o' them there weirdoz who likes 'em 'ere animez" lol. >_> I've never been to a con before but I really want to check out GenCon Indy '07 and I'm still desperately searching all over the net for other anime-oriented cons around Indiana. I've just recently had my heart set on making a TenTen (Naruto) cosplay, but I don't even know if there are hardly any anime cosplayers at gencon--I've seen the StarWars fans over the years,though--and even worse I'm really shy and self-conscious (sp?) about being judged by the public. Any seasoned gencon vets want to fill me in on all gencon has to offer? I've been to the official site and all that but I want to hear from someone first hand! PM me with details, or if you wanna be my otaku buddy! X3

Last edited by LunarAlchemist : 05-01-2007 at 02:38 AM.
LunarAlchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 02:34 PM   #48
AVAAntares
Sewing = 1/2 (Battle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarAlchemist View Post
I just ignore people when they ask me if I'm "one o' them there weirdoz who likes 'em 'ere animez" lol. >_>
You know, despite the hype about farmers and hicks, Indiana is actually a pretty progressive place. The million-plus population of Indianapolis is hugely diverse, and the city hosts one of the largest and strongest theatre/fine arts communities in the country.

I've lived in Indiana for more than a quarter century (that'll tell you how old I am... *cough*), in both metropolitan and VERY rural areas, and I've never received any serious flak about cosplay or being an anime fan. In fact, most of the people I talk to think it's neat, or at least interesting, and almost all of them ask to see photos. I even had a local newscaster take my name and contact information because he heard us talking about making costumes, and he wanted to pitch the idea of a cosplay special to his boss! I also had the director of a local theatre company ask if we wanted to put together a costume fashion show to show off our creations.

It's all in the attitude. People will be interested in it if they think YOU think it's worthwhile!

End of lecture.

www.AndSewingIsHalfTheBattle.com
いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい
"Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it." Maimonides
AVAAntares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 04:12 PM   #49
D-holla-J
Melodious Nocturne

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVAAntares View Post
You know, despite the hype about farmers and hicks, Indiana is actually a pretty progressive place. The million-plus population of Indianapolis is hugely diverse, and5= y父`wZj}pZ=5argest and strongest theatre/fine arts communities in the country.

I've lived in Indiana for more than a quarter century (that'll tell you how old I am... *cough*), in both metropolitan and VERY rural areas, and I've never received any serious flak about cosplay or being an anime fan. In fact, most of the people I talk to think it's neat, or at least interesting, and almost all of them ask to see photos. I even had a local newscaster take my name and contact information because he heard us talking about making costumes, and he wanted to pitch the idea of a cosplay special to his boss! I also had the director of a local theatre company ask if we wanted to put together a costume fashion show to show off our creations.

It's all in the attitude. People will be interested in it if they think YOU think it's worthwhile!

End of lecture.

Eh, I can say that really depends on where you are! I'm in New Castle, and I feel like pretty much the only anime fan in the entire /city/. Half the time when I bring up anime, the person I'm talking to doesn't even know what it IS!

I really think we should try to plan a meetup in Indianapolis. I'm feeling really isolated and lonely, being the only cosplayer I know of in my town, I'd love to get together with some like-minded people.

In Progress:
Draenei Mage - World of Warcraft - 95% Completed
Fai D. Flowrite - Tsubasa - 70% Completed

D-holla-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2007, 04:09 PM   #50
random_person
Retareded_Cosplayer

i'm in a very small town Redkey i'm the only cosplay i know too lol

PM me if you want one

Cons:
Ikasucon (Fort Wayne, IN) - August 10th-12th, 2007
random_person is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2007, 11:50 PM   #51
D-holla-J
Melodious Nocturne

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_person View Post
i'm in a very small town Redkey i'm the only cosplay i know too lol
Hey, you're only about an hour from me! Neato!

In Progress:

Unread 05-03-2007, 10:27 PM   #52
random_person
Retareded_Cosplayer

ya i go to new castle all the time lol i live about 30 mins or more from fort wayne lol

PM me if you want one

Cons:
Unread 05-05-2007, 07:30 PM   #53
My Name-a Borat
n00b

I live 50 miles NW of Indy in Crawfordsville. C'ville is one of those hick towns. There are at least 30 churches downtown, lots of abandoned buildings, and most people don't even *know* what anime is.

I am definitely going to GenCon! I'm still in high school, so my parents won't let me go to Ikasucon.

Will many people be cosplaying at GenCon?
My Name-a Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2007, 01:09 AM   #54
D-holla-J
Melodious Nocturne

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name-a Borat View Post
I live 50 miles NW of Indy in Crawfordsville. C'ville is one of those hick towns. There are at least 30 churches downtown, lots of abandoned buildings, and most people don't even *know* what anime is.

I am definitely going to GenCon! I'm still in high school, so my parents won't let me go to Ikasucon.

I wish I could go to GenCon, but I'm already going to Ikasucon and trying to convince the parents to lend me a hand in getting the funds to fly out to Nan Desu Kan in September. Friends there and all. But I might drop by GenCon for a day, just to say hi to people!

In Progress:

Unread 05-07-2007, 02:46 PM   #55
AVAAntares
Sewing = 1/2 (Battle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name-a Borat View Post

Crawfordsville, home of Lew Wallace! (I'm a Ben-Hur fan. I've even cosplayed from it!) And Crawfordsville isn't all that backwater -- I mean, you have interstate access, Wal-Mart, fast food restaurants, and other amenities. I used to live in a town that was half an hour from the nearest big box store, and the only "fast food" was from the gas station mini-mart. (Actually, I vastly prefer small towns to big cities, for a lot of reasons that I probably shouldn't go into here...)

GenCon isn't a huge cosplay venue -- they do have a Masquerade, but they change how it's done every year or two, so (my theory) it's not as big or developed as it could be. There will be a few people there in costume, but not NEARLY as many as you'd see at an anime-specific convention. Also, the rules may have changed since last year, but there was only a very small Masqerade category for "anime/other".

We're still debating whether or not to go to GenCon. We'll probably decide at the last minute.

www.AndSewingIsHalfTheBattle.com
いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい
"Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it." Maimonides
AVAAntares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2007, 03:21 PM   #56
Delmontey

hey! small towns are sometimes fun...and your description sounds exactly like dana indiana, they closed the town grocery, the only place for food is the gas station, closest town to goto a grocery is kyuga

Love is forever,
Life is not.
Delmontey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2007, 04:26 PM   #57
MelanBlueFangir
Metallic Nightmare

Heh, I"m not from Indiana per se, but I go to Indiana State in Terre Haute :P I'll happily be attending ACen *ack, con streeeeesssss! X_X* I probably won't be able to afford to go to GenCon, since its right when I'll be loading up all my stuff to move back into the dorms :S
Unread 05-08-2007, 07:16 PM   #58
random_person
Retareded_Cosplayer

i wanna go to a-cen XD

the other day i was in indy and i went to the I-max and seen 300 lol

PM me if you want one

Cons:
Unread 05-13-2007, 12:04 PM   #59
random_person
Retareded_Cosplayer

so how was a-cen?

PM me if you want one

Cons:
Unread 05-19-2007, 06:45 PM   #60
My Name-a Borat
n00b

Y'know that fire that was in Crawfordsville a couple weeks back?
One of those places that burnt to the ground was a thrift store where I bought some of my costume pieces. -_-

Possible (Far) Future Cosplay
Haine Otomiya, The Gentlemen's Alliance Cross
Julia, Cowboy Bebop
Meroko, Full Moon Wo Sagashite

[/color][/font][/center][/size]
My Name-a Borat is offline   Reply With Quote