Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Kingdom Hearts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-19-2007, 03:36 PM   #1
Saeru
What is life w/o meaning?

The Making of Anti-Form Sora

Post1!

Look here at this guide to get to what you're looking for!

Post1: For generic Sora comments
Post2: To make a Sora wig...
Post3: Big Sora Shoes
Post4: Glowy eyes and smoke!
Post5: Materials (Makeup, straps, gloves, and Zipppers)

To see all of the pictures with little descriptions, visit:
U-E's Flickr Gallery

For my set of Finished Anti-Form Sora pictures, go here:
Sora Costume Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll use this space to talk a little bit about why I chose this costume and my experiences in it.

So we made it to Acen 2007, despite not having a car, getting sick, and loosing costume pieces. I decided that I did, after all, want to enter the masquerade, and received a lovely trophy entitling me 'Costume Master' as a reward.
Well, probably because there were 'Costume Novice' and 'Costume Journeyman' awards, too, but I like the sound of 'Costume Master.' Sounds like I should be throwing around a red and white ball and shouting 'Anti-Sora, I chose you!'

When looking back on it, neither U-E nor I can remember why we decided to suddenly do Sora and Riku costumes. As I have frequently stated online, I am mostly in loathing of Sora, and U-E swears to have no claim to the idea. We just sort of looked down one day and realized that there was a pair of Riku pants floating around the room, and that I had a Sora jacket done, and...
well, one thing led to another.

I found I rather ENJOYED running around creepily like Anti Sora, because it's my favorite of Sora's forms. Personally, if Sora got stuck in it one day, I'd be right pleased and go 'Serves you right, Sora. That's what you get for murdering people that were just trying to build their home.'
It was simple to stay in character because of the mask(one never knows when I was grinning under there), and thankfully nothing on the outfit was exceedingly uncomfortable. The shoes were even easy to walk in. ^.^

Could I see? A little. Yui was nice enough to wear Riku around to lead me, and keep congoers from bumping into me. I could breathe, too, which was a big shock to me as I expected it was going to be difficult.

I think, if there were one thing I'd like to change, I'd like to edit the pants, because they just aren't 'poofy' enough. Before I wear Sora again, there is probably going to be a re-vamp.

Many thanks to our good friend Ayaka, for the photoshoot. It turned out stellar. ^.^ Thanks also to Yui for the other wonderful pictures that I've used. It means a lot to me.

Last edited by Yui : 03-23-2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: fixed your broken links after the database upgrade, Sae
Saeru is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-19-2007, 03:37 PM   #2
Saeru

Post2: To make a Sora wig...

To keep this post in its appropriate area at cosplay.com, I moved my wig tutorial to here:
Making a Sora Wig

Last edited by Yui : 03-23-2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: fixed link ^_^;
Unread 05-19-2007, 03:37 PM   #3
Saeru

Post3: Big Sora Shoes

Sora's shoes started out as a dream I thought would never happen. In my little world of cosplay, shoes were ALWAYS bought, and then modified. Shoes were not something that one constructed...

Unfortunately, Sora's shoes do not exist. This is probably a good thing, because there would be many more cases of people injuring themselves after tripping over their own huge feet.
Personally, I didn't want to end up in the hospital.

Ever gone scuba diving? Snorkeling? Maybe just played in the backyard pool as a kid?
How about those fins.
You know, the kind that make your feet look like funny frog legs. As soon as you get out of water, you're stuck with these huge pieces of plastic and no hope of walking around without them curling up and trying to make you fall flat on your face.
This became the first Sora dilemma.

Remember how I said that purchasing that action figure was one of the best moves I could have made? Here is reason number 2: Valor's feet have this awesome little pivot built into them. It allows you to stand him, easily, on pretty much any angled surface. They're also extremely pleasant to just play with.
This concept ended up saving my Sora shoes, as I decided that I, too, would build them with a pivot. In this manner I was able to walk, run, crouch, squat, and slink about without having to worry about my thin plastic clown shoes busting or the zipper seams popping out.

So here is what I did!

I bought a pair of clown shoes. Thankfully this was easy at the time that I began, because it was Halloween. I walked into a costume store, and picked up a pair for 2 dollars. Thinking this was swell, I grabbed another pair for later use. >.> Upon getting home I realized that a pair of clown shoes were, as I suspected, extremely difficult to walk in, so I cut off the back half, leaving just the front 'hump' of the shoe. However, the front hump was too WIDE to fit snuggly over my foot, so I cut it in half again, across the center. Sora's zipper was going to need to go there, anyhow. Thus, in the end, I had two bisected pieces of clown shoe to make the front.
Bisecting the Shoe
Initial Shoe Test

It was time to move onward! The base shoes that I chose were a pair of No Boundaries Converses, available at Wal-Mart for about 10 dollars. The clown hump fit over the front of them nicely, and they were a good shape. Plus they were comfortable! Which makes them one of the few pairs of cosplay shoes I actually don't mind wearing. ^.^ To attach the clowns onto the converses, I drilled a hole through the sides just big enough to fit a Chicago screw.

Lemme talk for a moment about Chicago screws. They're not called Chicago screws here, because I'm in Chicago. Here, I believe they call them screw posts.
Screw Posts
These are the most wonderful little screws known to man. They've ended up having uses in almost every costume I've ever made, even when I didn't expect to be using them at all. They come in a variety of sizes, and, unlike the normal nut/bolt combination, you get a flat head on both sides of whatever you're screwing together(which is great for comfort purposes, especially on the inside of a shoe). These can be purchased easily at any hardware store.

Screw posts were used as my pivot, and held my shoes together.
Screwed Shoes

Having now the basic elements of my shoe, it was time to make its covering. Sora's shoes have an unusual shape to them, being something like high-tops but looking more like cloth. The color irritated me, however, since it was the same shimmery purple that was present in all the edging on my outfit: the stuff that I had used stretch velvet on. Purple stretch velvet was NOT going to make a nice, smooth shoe cover, so I tried a little something new. I liquid-stitched the velvet onto black 3mm foamies, and then trimmed it down to the exact shape it was supposed to be in.
Sewn Foamies and Liquid-stitched velvet...
Liquid stitch is a fabric glue that comes HIGHLY recommended by me.
Liquid Stitch!
You can buy it at wal-mart, or at a local craft store. As I found out, it is also very good for attaching fabric onto foamies. Be careful, as if you apply it too thickly behind a thin fabric, it WILL seep through. But if you spread a thin layer, then it adheres just lovely.
For best results with liquid-stitch, allow it to dry overnight.

So now I had a basic shoe pattern and back, but I wanted to do something a little more--adding treads.
Backpattern and Treads
This ended up being a rather complicated process overall, as I cut the treads out of 6mm foam(foamies could be used, although we had a different kind lying around), and still needed to apply some sort of coating to alleviate the 'foam' look. What I ended up doing was coating the treads in about 5 layers of 'Plasticoat,' which is a spray rubber available at Lowes. Its the same sort of stuff that people use to rubberize their truck beds, and it helped seal and protect my shoe treads. Following this, I sprayed them with my purples to give them a gradient.

I used gradients as much as possible on Sora, since he's got such a shifty color scheme. It ended up giving a lot of depth to otherwise flat places, especially on the shoe zipper. Here are my shoes at this stage, with the back cover attached and the clown part in place:
Shoe Progress...
The zipper is not yet attached to the shoe, making that the next step in my process.

These zippers were wonderful things in making Sora. Originally I had intended to use a #10 black plastic biker's zipper, but when I tested the shoe with that, the zipper completely disappeared when one stepped a foot or two away. I needed something larger, so I took one of the #30 zippers we had lying around, cut it in half, sprayed it in a gradient, and saw that it worked AMAZINGLY better. Even nicer was that the cloth tape didn't take the spraypaint, but the plastic zipper did, so the tape remained black on my now purple zipper. ^.^ These can be purchased from the following site, and, as far as I can tell, can only be purchased from here(unless you wanna spend 600 dollars on #30 zipper chain):
Giant #30 Kingdom Hearts Zippers!

But how to attach the zippers to the clown shoe? I was not about to trust ANY sort of glue to adhere a heavy zipper tape onto a plastic, spraypainted clown shoe. I considered stapling, but found it impossible to get at the right angle to do so. Thus a crazy idea was born: I would hand sew the zippers to the shoe.
Holes
96 tiny holes later, I began the process.

Getting close...
With the zipper on and the clown shoe attached, my shoe was starting to look good! I made a tongue out of more black foamies, and then retrieved my treads for the long gluing process.

I examined several pairs of shoes that were lying around, and noticed that there was a nice bead seam between the treads and the shoes. To duplicate this seam, I grabbed up some piping, painted it black, and attached it to the treads.
Gluing
The glue I used at this point was called Contact Cement, supposedly a good glue for adhering cloth to plastic/rubber. This glue was functional, although it did start to come off after several hours of wearing my Sora shoes around. I would suggest something stronger, and I will probably be using a 2-ton epoxy when I re-do my shoes. One thing to note is that powerful glues tend to dissolve spraypaint, so be cautious when gluing that you don't drip it ANYWHERE.
Contact cement, also, adheres on contact(hence the name), so I had to be EXTREMELY careful when I attached the soles to get the placement right on the first go. This took a few 'placement' runs, before I actually put the glue on. But it seemed to go well!
Shoe Tread

The only thing I had left to do was attach Sora's straps onto the bottoms of his shoes. The initial step for this had to be done BEFORE I put on the treads, since his straps disappear beneath them. In the beginning, I had wanted to use the same black material for straps that I had used in the rest of the outfit, but I realized that would require me attaching velcro to the straps so I could get my feet in and out of the shoes. It would also require extremely exact placement of his shoe-buckles, which un-nerved me quite a bit. To alleviate this problem, I went with a nice stretchy elastic strap on his shoes, which allowed me to put my feet in without ever even removing the straps.
Almost There!

At this point, the shoe is pretty much done. The only additional step that I did was to add a nib in the front, and put some trim on the edge of the zipper to cover up the thread from where I sewed it on. Voila! A Sora shoe. ^.^

Last edited by Saeru : 09-24-2007 at 04:48 PM.
Unread 05-19-2007, 03:38 PM   #4
Saeru

Post4: Glowy eyes and smoke!

This post has been relocated to the Props/Accessories forum, to help people find it better! ^.^
You can get to it easily here:
Glowy Eyes and Smoke tutorial!

Last edited by Yui : 03-23-2010 at 04:05 PM. Reason: fixed link ^_^;
Unread 05-19-2007, 03:39 PM   #5
Saeru

Post5: Materials

Beyond the Wig, mask, and shoes, there ended up being a lot of new tricks I learned in making Sora. I'd like to share them, in hopes someone else out there might benefit from my trial and error. ^.^

Makeup:

I experimented with two different high-quality black makeups(Ben-Nye and Kryolan) to decide which one would be better on the skin, and this is what I've found:
Makeup Technique and Comparison thread

Straps:

Coming soon...

Gloves:

Coming soon...

Necklace:

Coming soon...

Zippers:

I'll talk a little more about the zippers used on Sora, but for now, they can be purchased at the following link:
Giant Kingdom Hearts Zippers

Last edited by Yui : 03-23-2010 at 04:05 PM. Reason: fixed link ^_^;
Unread 06-10-2007, 01:37 PM   #6
XiggyRox

Where can you get the # 30 zippers, except from the web site?
XiggyRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2007, 02:48 PM   #7
Saeru

So far, this site is the only place I've found #30 zippers at. You can order them here, and the prices include the shipping cost:
http://orgxiii.org/zippers/order.html

Last edited by Saeru : 09-24-2007 at 04:49 PM.
Unread 06-11-2007, 03:37 AM   #8
Akibie
アリシ&

How to make the shoes is a great tutorial... but it's a little hard to understand. I dont get the cutting parts in the begginning.
And the picture of the backpattern and treads is confusing. What is the orange cloth on the backpattern?
What was the converse used for... did you keep it in the shoe?
please reply

Last edited by Akibie : 06-11-2007 at 03:49 AM.
Akibie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2007, 03:51 PM   #9
Saeru

As for the cutting...
I first cut the clown shoe in half, across the middle(asymmetrically), and then in half again(symmetrically).
The following is a very bad paint image illustrating the above.
Shoe bi-section

The orange cloth is the pattern for the back of his shoe, which is why it is called the back-pattern. It was the shape I ended up using when I glued the velvet to the foamie.

The converse was kept inside of the shoe, and all of the parts attached onto the outside of it. ^.^
Unread 06-24-2007, 11:27 PM   #10
Akibie
アリシ&

What is the material <b>right</b> above the purple treads? and what did you use to attach it?
Akibie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2007, 02:40 AM   #11
Saeru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akibie View Post
What is the material <b>right</b> above the purple treads? and what did you use to attach it?
That is piping, which is available at pretty much any craft store or at Wal-Mart. ^.^ I simply glued it on.
Seemed silly at first, until I realized that is how most shoes are really made.
Unread 06-28-2007, 07:03 PM   #12
BitingZombeh

Question.

- What exactly do you mean by foamies? Maybe I'm a bit dense (which, knowing me, could very well be the case XD), but I don't really understand what this are.

Thanks for your time.

P.S. - Oh! And I was at Acen. One of the many, many loud squeels both in the mascarade and by the escalators belonged to me. XD You're costume basically inspired me to be Anti-Form Sora next Acen. I hope you don't mind me basically using your tutorial for my wig, eyes/mask, (maybe) smoke, and shoes. Your's was so cool though. ^_^;;;
BitingZombeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2007, 07:35 PM   #13
Saeru

Foamies are sheets of relatively flat foam. I've seen it come in thicknesses from 1mm up to 6mm. You can get them at pretty much any craft store, and also at Wal-Mart.

Here is a page with some of them:
http://www.craftamerica.com/foamies.htm

I don't mind. ^.^ I'd love to see others put these efforts to work...its why I post them! Just be sure to give proper credit if you're asked.
Unread 06-28-2007, 07:55 PM   #14
BitingZombeh

Wow! Such a fast reply! Thanks!

How do you say your name, so I can give you proper proper credit if I'm asked. ^_^ XD
BitingZombeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2007, 01:40 AM   #15
Saeru

Thats a good question. *laughs*
I've always pronounced it 'Sah-eh-roo'.

If you figure out any new techniques while you're working, be sure to post them, so that I can give proper credit back! I can't wait to see how it turns out. ^.^