Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 692 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-24-2007, 10:27 PM   #151
Marika

Name of Commissioner: Rain Miko
Website/C.com gallery: www.chibifiedcosplay.com
Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.): Curse Seal LV2 Sasuke (Naruto) - wig only
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: None
Timeline (how long your order took to process): First payment sent/received in October with a deadline of mid-May (she put it at May 16).

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments.: This was the first thing I ever commissioned as I was afraid to attempt the wig on my own. Initailly, everything started out good. Communication was good, and because I know I don't like to be bothered left and right while I'm working on things, I opted not to ask her for progress shots or email often asking about it. Now, I wish I had.

Last email I received was dated 4/2/2007: "Just to let you know, I got your final payment in! And I just got my camera back today (I left it at a friends house and it had to be shipped back). So you should be receiving pictures shortly." The final payment was the last $40 for labour & shipping.

Those pictures never came (hence why I have none). And as it's now May 24th, it's safe to say that the deadline was missed completely. In the initial email, I made it a point to say "mid-May of 2007 (in time for A-Kon, June 1-3) ".

Yes, I understand there's issues in everyone's lives. However, is it REALLY that hard to shoot someone a quick email to say "Just letting you know I'm running late with commissions" or "Shipped piece out on X date, should be received within X days"?

I sent an email on May 22, asking about the status of the piece and haven't heard back. Actually, I've heard nothing at all since that last email from her on April 2.

Considering that this was my first commission, I'm relatively distrustful by nature, and I scraped to get the money together to have it done ($168 is a school loan payment for me), it makes me really leery of commissioning things in the future.

Final Grade: D. Depending on whether or not I receive the piece, this is subject to change.
Marika is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-24-2007, 10:33 PM   #152
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated!
Kanira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2007, 11:08 PM   #153
Sakura_Chang
Shinimegami

marika- did you notice on her website that she's closing down? which she posted on the 12th of april.

"April 12th, 2007- **ATTENTION** I will NOT be taking any new orders! I am finishing the orders I have now, and shutting down. I no longer have the time needed to dedicate to commissioning, and I hope everyone understands that."

i hope she finishes yours and everyone elses that she promised to make =\

My keya is here. I <3 her

Working in progress costumes:
Hinata and husband's TJ Gaara
Sakura_Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2007, 11:12 PM   #154
PepeluTivursky
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura_Chang View Post
marika- did you notice on her website that she's closing down? which she posted on the 12th of april.

"April 12th, 2007- **ATTENTION** I will NOT be taking any new orders! I am finishing the orders I have now, and shutting down. I no longer have the time needed to dedicate to commissioning, and I hope everyone understands that."

i hope she finishes yours and everyone elses that she promised to make =\
Ah yes, I'm sure we all know this very well.
Unfortunately, she hasn't said a word to me since April 12th exactly. She has not been answering emails, PM's, nothing.
I'm the Azumanga Daioh/Jigoku Shoujo skirts she has on there. Good luck getting your stuff, I know I'm not counting on seeing them or my money either.
Unread 05-24-2007, 11:26 PM   #155
D-holla-J
Melodious Nocturne

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeluTivursky View Post
Unfortunately, she hasn't said a word to me since April 12th exactly. She has not been answering emails, PM's, nothing.
I'm the Azumanga Daioh/Jigoku Shoujo skirts she has on there. Good luck getting your stuff, I know I'm not counting on seeing them or my money either.

It took me threatening legal action and blacklisting her on every cosplay site I'm on to get my costume out of her, and then what I got wasn't even really worth what I'd paid for it. She seems to be finishing off her commissioning career with a bang, even though it's not a GOOD bang. I hope she never plans to start an internet based business again, because that's three people in this thread alone that she's left without.

I feel glad I even got my costume, even if it wasn't up to the cost standard and didn't include the partial refund she promised for all the trouble. I feel really bad for you guys who didn't even get them. Maybe you should do what I did and start with the threatening, it seems to be the only thing that'll get her attention.

In Progress:
Draenei Mage - World of Warcraft - 95% Completed
Fai D. Flowrite - Tsubasa - 70% Completed

Last edited by D-holla-J : 05-24-2007 at 11:28 PM.
D-holla-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2007, 11:32 PM   #156
PepeluTivursky
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-holla-J View Post
It took me threatening legal action and blacklisting her on every cosplay site I'm on to get my costume out of her, and then what I got wasn't even really worth what I'd paid for it. She seems to be finishing off her commissioning career with a bang, even though it's not a GOOD bang. I hope she never plans to start an internet based business again, because that's three people in this thread alone that she's left without.

I feel glad I even got my costume, even if it wasn't up to the cost standard and didn't include the partial refund she promised for all the trouble. I feel really bad for you guys who didn't even get them. Maybe you should do what I did and start with the threatening, it seems to be the only thing that'll get her attention.
I might just have to.
I send her an email every few days, as well as a PM, asking for my money back. I've since made skirts for the outfits so she can take hers and shove them in various places, if you get what I mean.
I've considered tracking down her real name again and getting her phone number to give her a pleasant little call over it. I don't belong to any other cosplay forums, though I suppose I could buzz my way through the LJ cosplaying communities on it.
Ugh, it almost makes me want to never commission again. And I had SO many outfits I was thinking up that I wanted to at least get bits of them commissioned. :P
Unread 05-24-2007, 11:32 PM   #157
Marika

Quote:
While knowing that others are having the same issue makes me feel a little better (not the best choice of words, but knowing others have the same problem with someone tells me that the problem isn't with me but with the other person), it's irritating to think that someone can just take someone's hard-earned cash and not deliver.

Only assurances are that I do have a backup wig I can use, and should I choose to get vengeful, I made sure to keep every correspondence with her. -_- First my PS2, mod chip, and a game, and now this. Yeah, my faith in people isn't looking too good.
Marika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2007, 11:35 PM   #158
PepeluTivursky
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marika View Post
While knowing that others are having the same issue makes me feel a little better (not the best choice of words, but knowing others have the same problem with someone tells me that the problem isn't with me but with the other person), it's irritating to think that someone can just take someone's hard-earned cash and not deliver.

Only assurances are that I do have a backup wig I can use, and should I choose to get vengeful, I made sure to keep every correspondence with her. -_- First my PS2, mod chip, and a game, and now this. Yeah, my faith in people isn't looking too good.
I'm glad you did. I have one email from her, a few PM's and that's it. Dumb me didn't think to make a copy of the contract she sent nor to keep any of the letters she sent (she sent fabric samples of the skirts early on, so I could match colors for the tops).
That's what I get for being trusting though, I suppose. Next commission I go through with, I'm keeping copies and scans of EVERYTHING I possibly can.
Unread 05-24-2007, 11:37 PM   #159
D-holla-J
Melodious Nocturne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marika View Post

Don't let it get you down. For the one commissioner on this site who lets you down, there are two or three others who will do a decent job and do it in a timely fashion. I play to commission again, and this time I made sure to pick carefully off this very thread. (I'm a beginner at this sewing thing, 2 full costumes before August isn't gonna happen, one is pushing it! )

But the fact that you kept ALL the correspondance with her is a VERY good thing. If you still have your copy of the money order or a check record, even better. Use threats of legal action if you have to, you have the grounds to do so. She shouldn't be allowed to steal peoples' money like this, it's disgraceful and gives commissioners more of a bad rep.

(I love you, all you good commissioners out there! And I'm presently looking for one of you for a Gojyo costume for August, someone who WON'T rip me off and miss deadlines, heh! )

In Progress:
Draenei Mage - World of Warcraft - 95% Completed
Fai D. Flowrite - Tsubasa - 70% Completed

D-holla-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2007, 12:07 AM   #160
4ng31
meh.

Quote:
Ugh, it almost makes me want to never commission again. And I had SO many outfits I was thinking up that I wanted to at least get bits of them commissioned. :P

Don't think like that...trust me. The first time I ever commissioned i got ripped of 300 bucks...it happens sometime, but what can you do.

Hence why this thread is here. And again, I'm pushing for a sticky on it, as it is very useful (much more useful then the "Commissioners Not to go to" thread). The fact that it could save people hundreds of dollars alone justifies the cause.
Unread 05-25-2007, 12:10 AM   #161
Sakura_Chang
Shinimegami

yeah if you still have a stub off a money order you can have it tracked(has a tracking number on it). and they have to have it cashed at a bank as far as i know.

this is exactly why i'ma keep my commission lists small. i don't want to take to many people on and get over whelmed. and i hope i never end up on the bad side of this list. =\ almost makes me scared to start my store. but it's coming xD

My keya is here. I <3 her

Working in progress costumes:
Hinata and husband's TJ Gaara
Sakura_Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2007, 12:15 AM   #162
mixaka
Granter of wishes

Wow, I feel really bad for everyone who was ripped off by Rain Miko, especially since I had a good experience with her, but I guess I got lucky. Anyway, for those having issues, I have her full name, phone, and address. PM me if you want it.
mixaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2007, 12:50 AM   #163
+Ao+
Banned

These 4 need to be added to the list
No one else needs to be hurt and ripped off!

Final Grade- Dark Dragonfly FFFF (quad F)

Final Grade-BlackCerenity FFF (Tripal F)

Final Grade- Setsuna Kou Again another tripal FFF

Final Grade Sunrise Art LLC aka wei-linden- C
+Ao+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2007, 10:35 PM   #164
livvylove
.•° Loving Life °•.

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Ao+ View Post
These 4 need to be added to the list
No one else needs to be hurt and ripped off!

Final Grade- Dark Dragonfly FFFF (quad F)

Final Grade-BlackCerenity FFF (Tripal F)

Final Grade- Setsuna Kou Again another tripal FFF

Final Grade Sunrise Art LLC aka wei-linden- C
Hey AO I think if you follow the format listed in the first post. Then it would be more helpful for people then just listing names of people and giving them a grade

here is the format just in case you missed it. People are posting each commissioner review in it's own post that way it will be easier to link it on the first page. That would probably help people out the most.

Name of Commissioner
Website/C.com gallery
Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.)
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item
Timeline (how long your order took to process)
Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments.
Final Grade:

2011 Conventions
Momocon
SeishunCon
Dragon*Con
AWA
ATL Comic Con

Deviant ArtTwitterLivejournalMyspaceTumblr
livvylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2007, 05:50 AM   #165
mylovestory
&amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;3

Oh wow, I'm really happy that I've gone to all good commissioners before.
mylovestory is offline   Reply With Quote