Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1437 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-11-2007, 03:06 AM   #211
aoisakura
=^._.^=

Name of Commissioner: nugrosjp
Website/C.com gallery: www.cosplay1.com
Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.): Sephiroth from FF7 Advent Children version
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item- Can't wear none as yet
Timeline (how long your order took to process)- Paid about 24th March, Recived 7 June
Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments:
Pros: Decent material. I had heard nothing but good things from them so I was in good expectation of my comission. Very well packaged and neatly folded and pressed. They line all their trousers and coats, they finish seams neatly and professionally. If I write email they will reply within 24 hours.

Cons: The costume was, way too small. And I'm not sure how it got that way either. I am a decently exprienced dressmaker too (Just I wasn't too keeen on wokring with leather/pvc and also lack of space in my temp housing ment I can't sew till I get a flat anyway) so I doubt I gave too off mesurements. Trousers didn't seem to have in mind the hip is wider then the waist. And the leg was too short anyway. Also the jacket. It was skin tight, without the material having any give in it. I mean that trench coat thingy is meant to be a bit flowy loose, not like a PVC catsuit minus the give.

And the guy who's wearing it is very skinny. Even with that fact the sleeves were wayy too tight too. And a inch or two too short. Also, the big design thingy on front of his trouser panel was some stange shop bought bling type belt buckle, not accurate at all.

Also one strange thing- the middle section of his trench coat (we'll call it that for now) is made of lining material not leather/pvc (whatever it's made of I think its leather look pvc) not too sure why it's like that. Also, the patterned kinna panel of leather on his tummy bit is not there at all. And the straps are not made of leather like they are meant to be, but of cloth. And gloves were non existant, or the silver thingy he has around his wrists. And the shoulder armour plates were made of some padded soft material, not armour like at all. The coat fastening big silver things down the coat was missing too (Which my ref piccys clearly showed.)

Basically I think alot of it goes to not chosing the right material. S/he chose a very stiff leather look PVC, while to me it looks like it is a softer material. (The way it sticks to Sephi's body, the way it flows when it's hit by wind/in pictures, the way it crinkles where its pulled in by a belt etc- And this is with me not ever played the game or watched AC, as this is a present for my OH who loves him, I know nothing of the actual chara so it's not even my expectations but simple observations I made looking at the photos I found and gave to him/her) That's (probably) why it's probably too tight. If it was made of a softer pvc/leather it would have been better and most of these problems would not have risen. And also maybe their strength is in cotton and other soft fabrics as they seem to excel at those designs. (as like with me I really only deal in cotton and soft fabrics, I have never worked with PVC and don't really trust myself to either, but I have sold alot of PVC trenchcoats and tops and whatnot in a store I used to work at so I am aware of types of PVC and leather)

Another thing, no progress photos at all. I would have to pester them through email and on here to get anything. (And that being said I never usualy pester for progress shots, just 2 months of hearing nothing of my costume I paid alot for made me start worrying) I recived a total of 1 progress photo (not ver clear either) In the whole time. Also missed their own set deadline. I don't mind, this costume debutes next year if any, but they should not give deadlines they can't keep. I really wish they gave me more then I would have been able to point some of these bad points out before hand.

Overall: I am very dissapointed with the whole thing. It was quite a bit of money, I wouldn't have minded even paying a bit more if it meant they would use better quality fabric/make it more accurate. This whole matter has stressed me out quite a bit and it's sad, as I was looking forward to it. I have emailed comissioner and I hope we can sort something out.

Final Grade: B- (Negotiating with the comissioner and will psot whn matter is sorted)

Last edited by aoisakura : 06-12-2007 at 01:47 AM.
aoisakura is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-11-2007, 03:40 AM   #212
phantomthief
It was fun, wasn't it?

Eep >.< Yeah, I noticed those things looking in his gallery (his profile says "m" so I'm going to call him a him from now on)...

The two cloth costumes that he finished at the same time look as nice as the rest of his work while Sephy looks a bit... off. I'm a little worried about sizing since mine is supposed to be pretty tailored. >.>;;;

I hope you can get some kind of resolution on this. Good luck!

~Ari-chan
Unread 06-11-2007, 03:42 AM   #213
aoisakura
=^._.^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomthief View Post
Eep >.< Yeah, I noticed those things looking in his gallery (his profile says "m" so I'm going to call him a him from now on)...

The two cloth costumes that he finished at the same time look as nice as the rest of his work while Sephy looks a bit... off. I'm a little worried about sizing since mine is supposed to be pretty tailored. >.>;;;

I hope you can get some kind of resolution on this. Good luck!

~Ari-chan
Yeah, well hope yours fit properly, I have read the reviews on here all say a bit small so it might be a bit small X_x
Unread 06-11-2007, 03:50 AM   #214
phantomthief
It was fun, wasn't it?

Well, the general consensus is...
1. Perfect Fit
2. Perfect Fit
3. Too large (XD)
4. Perfect fit
5. Too small
6. Way Too small

Well, we'll see in July I suppose >.>

~Ari-chan
Unread 06-11-2007, 04:00 AM   #215
aoisakura
=^._.^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomthief View Post
Well, the general consensus is...
1. Perfect Fit
2. Perfect Fit
3. Too large (XD)
4. Perfect fit
5. Too small
6. Way Too small

Well, we'll see in July I suppose >.>

~Ari-chan
True, hope I get something sorted....I thought the weird one was someone had one perfect one too large same mesurements... 0_o
Unread 06-11-2007, 04:16 AM   #216
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoisakura View Post
I thought the weird one was someone had one perfect one too large same mesurements... 0_o
That was me :3 And it was definitely a bizarre situation. Both were dresses, made of the same material with the same zipper in the same place and I never updated my measurements in between orders; simply gave over a new project directly after receiving the first without question.
I mentioned that it was too large when I sent a confirmation email, but it was never mentioned in return. A shame, really, since the style of the outfit really doesn't providethe possibility of discreet pinning, but it was still excellently made.
Best of luck, Aoi!

And we're updated!
Kanira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2007, 04:45 AM   #217
nugrosjp
costume maker

OPEN apology Request :

Hello there Aoi sakura ..
I really want this work out for both.. Measurement data is very vital in this kind of business, I know it and I also crosscheck from given photos.All is correct according my opinion. But all of it, as a commissioner I think it is all my fault m_ _m , I hope you can accept my apologizes for all wrong thing to your costume.
I have sent you an email to you. I hope you can accept the terms that I give to you and accept it as a goodwill of mine.

Best regards
Ajie

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=74302

or you can start with my website at
WWW.COSPLAY1.COM

or just drop me an email labalaba_terbang@yahoo.com

Last edited by nugrosjp : 06-11-2007 at 05:49 AM.
nugrosjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2007, 08:15 PM   #218
4ng31
meh.

Name of Commissioner : Nugrosjp (Cosplay1)

Website/C.com gallery : www.cosplay1.com

Character commissioned and series/video game : Agito/Akito from Air Gear - Jacket and Pants

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item - Really bad photo...lol

Timeline - Paid March 28th, Received costume today (June 11th)

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments. - Not much commnication during the process, but there really wasn't any need for it. When I did ask questions and send e-mails, they were answered promptly, and all my concerns were handled as well. Outfit is great, only cons I have are the pants are a little tight around the waist, but it's tolerable so no big deal, and the jacket could be a little longer (below my waist), but again, no big deal. Fast shipping. Will be wearing this at Otakon

Final Grade - A
Unread 06-11-2007, 11:25 PM   #219
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated ^^
Unread 06-13-2007, 02:32 AM   #220
aoisakura
=^._.^=

Name of Commissioner : Li Jianliang
Website/C.com gallery : http://members.cosplay.com/member/63436/
Character commissioned and series/video game : Soi Fong Battle suit version top only
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item - Ew I look very ugly in this ;_; (but it's the best I have!)
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/CIMG0871.jpg

Timeline - Contract signed April 1st ->April 20th (or so not 100% sure now but it was quick!)

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments.-
Very friendly, quick email relplies, fast work. Was way before the deadline which was quite short anyway. Very resonable prices. The item was great with good quality fabric and a good design.

Final Grade - A+
Unread 06-13-2007, 02:37 AM   #221
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Name of Commissioner:Nakamura_kun
Website/C.com gallery: www.freewebs.com/vintagedolly
Character commissioned and series/video game: A VintageDolly oringinal YingYang Kimono.
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item:http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.ph...2&member=76487
Timeline (how long your order took to process):4 days
Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments.:The Kimono was amazing beautifull material and very affordable. I got it very quickly, and overall impressed.
Final Grade: A

note: This is a supplement post for ninja_princess ^^

Last edited by Kanira : 06-13-2007 at 07:26 PM.
Unread 06-15-2007, 03:30 PM   #222
Rjr3412
o-iii<0

Name of Commissioner - Nugrosjp
Website/C.com gallery - www.cosplay1.com
Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.) - Fai Flowright - Tsubasa Chronicles: Coat, Shirt thing, pants and gloves
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item - http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1129832
Timeline (how long your order took to process) - ~March 30th - June 12th
Describe your Experience.
Pros - Did an excellent job. Very accomadating to additional requests. Answered questions promptly and accurately. Knew exactly which measurements were needed and fit to them exactly (wow!) Used good materials for a good interpretation of a rather difficult costume (only one reference thing for the coat.) Good price and made it within my requested timeline.
Cons - Very few I can think of, and none really at fault of the commissioner. Took a little longer than estimated, but they did a good job and were within my timeline. Very nervous about supplying my own measurements, my first commission, but it is extremely well fitted. There were a few small details different, but I'm not competing or anything and am happy with it.
Comments - Did a good job. Met my schedule and requests, good price and good materials. Can't think of much else.
Final Grade: A
Rjr3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2007, 05:19 PM   #223
MaryRyanBogard
A misfit among misfits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanira View Post
If you feel other people may be successfully warned of or recommended to your commissions through the relation of your experiences, than I would, were I you ^^ If they have utterly disappeared and/or retracted from the commissioning front, however, "opening old wounds" certainly wouldn't be neccessary ^^ Thank you for your help, though!
You're welcome.

As it turns out, none of those commissioners I dealt with are currently taking orders, though two (one good, one bad) are still online. I still would rather not reopen old wounds, so I won't review the bad one (or even say who it was) even if they do start taking commissions again. The good one, well, not only is not currently taking orders (though she does claim that she will again eventually) but as I mentioned earlier has also changed how she takes orders due to high demand. Therefore, my experience with that person is likely way different that anyone else's was or would be. I guess I'll post a review her in a different post later.

Ginny Weasley and the Midnight Magic Party- the closest thing to a website I have right now.

Last edited by MaryRyanBogard : 06-15-2007 at 05:20 PM. Reason: fixed missing tags
MaryRyanBogard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2007, 06:09 PM   #224
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated!
Unread 06-15-2007, 07:24 PM   #225
ai-honey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumei View Post
Name of Commissioner: www.kawaiiwigs.net

Website/C.com gallery: www.kawaiiwigs.net

Character: Wig of Franziska von Karma/Karuma, Mei (Phoenix Wright 2/Gyakuten Saiban 2)

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: Haven't even gotten a progress shot...

Timeline (how long your order took to process): I first inquired around early/middle of Feb 2007. It took a while, and finally ordered, paid and signed contract around the last week of Feb 2007. Wig was due May 20th. I have gotten nothing yet. And May 25th is the date of the con I was supposed to wear this wig to.

(The reason why it took so long for me to pay and sign the contract was because she would answer her emails around once a week, and I had to actually ask for her PayPal address so I could pay her as well as the contract.)

Pros: Website was clean, looked professional, even had a contract.

Cons: Deadline missed completely. I do not try and bother my commissioners because I know they have work, college, a life, etc. I did not contact this commissioner until after sending the payment and contract signed back to her. Then on May 12, figuring the time was right to ask for a progress shot. No reply. I emailed once more on the 18th, and again on the 20th, asking civilly if the wig was done, that I request it be airmailed to me as said in the contract when the wig was not done on time or such. I have still received no reply, and I fear I will not be able to wear the wig and costume to the Fanime Con on May 25th. I am still awaiting a reply. I understand that life gets people down, but how long does it take to shoot an email back, especially with a contract?

Communication has been nil since I have paid. I am trying my best to contact her now, but I have received nothing.

Final Grade: D (I may or may not change the grade depending on if/when I get the wig.)

For now this is a tentative review, but I feel it is fair to let others know both good and bad sides of commissioners.
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, I know it won't make you feel much better but I think she's been really sick lately..

Anyway, since I comissioned two wigs off of her I might as well leave my review. ^^

Name of Commissioner: kawaiiwigs

Website/C.com gallery: http://kawaiiwigs.net

Character commissioned and series/video game: A Chii from Chobits wig and a Sakura from Cardcaptor Sakura wig.

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: Sakura and Chii.

Timeline: December 06 - March 07.

Describe your Experience: I contacted Amanda around December time about a Chii wig. I was delighted to finally find a free comissioner who would have a wig done for by March. I then decided a few weeks later that I wanted a Sakura wig and she said yes and I was ecstatic. Since I paid in January she managed to get both these delightful wigs completed and sent (I also live in the United Kingdom) so that I got them in time a good few days before the convention. I was so pleased and as you can tell they're wonderful wigs.

Pros:
+ Beautifully styled wigs.
+ Good communication. Purhaps a little slow at times, but people don't live by their computer. ^.~
+ Good competitive prices!
+ Lovely genuine person.

Cons:
I honestly can't think of any. xD I'm in the middle of organising a Sailor Moon Wig with her right now. ^^

Final Grade: A+
ai-honey is offline   Reply With Quote