Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Other Costumes

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-21-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
Rem Akimichi
Webcomiker & Costumer

Cosplay from Books

I've seen a few of these around, and of course there's the entire Harry Potter genre, but what about other books? Who do you have on your cosplay to-do list from plain ol' fiction books? Not movie or animated film versions. It's a lot harder to be recognized when there's minimal to no character art for them, but it would still be great fun.

My own want to/to-do list:

{X} Aziraphale- Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Prattchet
{X} Sabriel (Aborsen outfit)- Sabriel by Garth Nix
{X} Suzy Turquiose Blue, Mondays Tirce (with disposable wings)- Keys to the Kingdom Series by Garth Nix
{X} Moon Child- Neverending Story by Michale Ende (I want to convince a guy to go as Atreyu, green skin and all like in the book)
{X} Reepicheep- The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
{X} Petra Arkanian (battle school outfit)- Enders Game by Orson Scott Card (if I can find an Ender and a few others from his Jeesh)

OH! And I knew I forgot one!
{X} Haplo- The Death Gate Cycle series by Margret Weis and Terry Hickman, complete with a black Dog plushie (or maybe a real dog if I ever get one...)

I know there have got to be other cosplaying bookworms out there, so lets see those lists!

They have served me well.

Last edited by Rem Akimichi : 06-21-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Rem Akimichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-21-2007, 06:48 PM   #2
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

This is where you get to test your creative abilities. You're literally building blind. Your imagination is the only limit. Potter lost that when they became movies, but here you have a clean slate.
TFC

Rules for life: Rule #7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are.
Anime Midwest Anime Chicago Chicago Comicon
Anime Iowa
tfcreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2007, 06:53 PM   #3
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

I've seen a few DragonLance cosplayers, a couple of Discworld (I have one or two planned myself from that series) and... um, that's all I can think of right now.

If you do Aziraphale, you must have a Crowley.

A good idea is to pick a character who's widely recognizable for distinctive details-- a very notable outfit, unusual physical characteristics, etc. Or group them with other people so they're easier to identify: Violet Beaudelaire by herself (I'm not talking the movie version, here) might not get much notice, but if you have a Klaus and Sunny, and possibly a Count Olaf, then you're golden.

--Penny
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2007, 07:15 PM   #4
vampirate

My dad and I are planning on having Discworld costumes for Dragon*Con. And Penny better join in the fun and make herself and Angua costume.

I'd really like to make a Phedre inspired outfit(from Jacqueline Carey's books).

And Rem, I just have to say that I would love to see Reepicheep!
vampirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2007, 07:19 PM   #5
questionablekri
Mystic Oracle

I'm currently working on a book based cosplay myself. Duke Mardus from Lynn Flewelling's Nightrunner series. It turns out she'll be at the con I'm going to no less! I asked her about her thoughts on cosplay on her LJ and she responded enthusiastically. It'll also be a first for her. So yeah, definetely NO pressure whatsoever >.> It's pretty extensive and all. Amor and a helm o'doom, black mideval outfit, the whole deal. I hope it'll turn out good.
I also have another cosplay from the series, and surprisingly enough it was a closet cosplay. And not a cheapo looking on either, so at least I have something to fall back on if Mardus isn't done.

Other book cosplays I'm going to do are:
Cuthbert Allgood- from Stephen King's Dark Tower series.
Birigette or Nynaeve- Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. (I may also be helping out my friend with a Mat cosplay as well. )
Violet Baudelaire- Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (I know there's a movie but it'll be from the book designs.)
Anastasia: Anastasia (gold dress)-10%
questionablekri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2007, 07:26 PM   #6
Rayonea
Stubbornly Optimistic

Book cosplay is LOVE. Oh yes, it is. I have about a MILLION picked out to make eventually. And I love to see someone I recognize from a book. Just so I can fangirl at them. :3

I'm working on Sarra Liwellan right now (from Exiles: The Ruins of Ambrai by Melanie Rawn). Lined up to do in the next couple years:

Mord-Sith in all three leather outfits (red, white and brown) from The Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind
Shota the Witch woman, from the same series
Fenchurch from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy (as soon as I figure out how to walk on air)
Alanna from Tamora Pierce's book of the same name

I also have a few Grimm Fairy Tale character's picked out, but I'm not really sure if they count as "book" cosplay. ^_^
Unread 06-21-2007, 08:01 PM   #7
BotMan

Cool!!!I always want to cosplay from these books...
Century Rain
Revelation Space
Chasm City
Diamond Dogs, Turquoise Days (my fav one is Diamond Dogs xd)
Pushing Ice
and Zima Blue And Other Stories, all by Alastair Reynolds
BotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2007, 08:12 PM   #8
Scortia

YAY for Aziraphale! Everyone's favorite gay angel... if he had the parts to be male. :P

I'm doing a Phantom of the Opera based more upon book illustrations than anything. Have a purely imagined Remus Lupin costume... would love to do more in the future.
Unread 06-21-2007, 08:46 PM   #9
Pantsu_chan
So dericious!

I've wanted to do some Dragonriders of Pern cosplay for a VERY long time...

And ANY Ender's Game cosplay is SO made of win! That would be SO much fun to do!
Oren Pierre Alfonso (Kamen Rider Gaim)
Marie Antoinette (2001 Takarazuka Rose of Versailles)

Team Awesome <333!!
Pantsu_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2007, 08:53 PM   #10
Rem Akimichi
Webcomiker & Costumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
If you do Aziraphale, you must have a Crowley.
I knooooww. A Crowley is a must, especially since he would make my dorky cosplay recognizable as cosplay and not just a really odd sense of fashion. I really really hope I can make some cosplaying friends in the new place we're moving to, because at the moment they are severly lacking in close proximity to me, and I need people to coerce...er...beg to cosplay with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayonea View Post
Fenchurch from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy (as soon as I figure out how to walk on air)
Alanna from Tamora Pierce's book of the same name
ALANNA! Oh please do. I'm still contemplating doing Tris from the Circle series of hers, but seeing an Alanna would be so awesome. Or, for that matter, I think I would melt from love for anyone who did a Numair and Diane cosplay couple.

And for Fenchurch, maybe you could get clear heels/soles or such so that it appears that way Though you're out of luck on what to do about sitting and touching things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scortia View Post
YAY for Aziraphale! Everyone's favorite gay angel... if he had the parts to be male. :P

I'm doing a Phantom of the Opera based more upon book illustrations than anything. Have a purely imagined Remus Lupin costume... would love to do more in the future.
I think he figures out ways to be gay even without the parts XD And YAY! for Phantom cosplay. I love PotO, the book, movie, and musical, so seeing any Phantom cosplayers would be great. You should get someone to do the Persian with you

They have served me well.

Last edited by Rem Akimichi : 06-21-2007 at 08:55 PM.
Rem Akimichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2007, 09:01 PM   #11
Irenthel
I like kitties.

Mord-sith and Sabriel cosplayers...

I can die happy now...

Horo (Spice & Wolf)
Aegwynn (Warcraft)
Ada Wong (Resident Evil 4)
Dana Scully (The X-Files)
Mint Berry Crunch (South Park)
Lucy Stillman (Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood)
Irenthel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2007, 09:05 PM   #12
_jedi
I've got a jar of dirt!

I've contemplated possibly doing Alanna or Tris (as other people said) from Tamora Pierce's books. I've been called by both names at one time or another. Mostly because of the whole red-headed thing.

But I want to see Sabriel cosplayers! The outfits are very specific and would be noticeable to anyone who's read the series.
Unread 06-21-2007, 09:07 PM   #13
kelldar
kelldar the barbarian

I've done Ozma of Oz from the original Oz books, and Lessa from Dragonriders of Pern.
I had at some point wanted to do a Serafina Pekkala costume from His Dark Materials, but I doubt I'll ever get to it!

(edit: I knew I forgot one! Also done Susan from Discworld, LOL)

Last edited by kelldar : 06-22-2007 at 09:07 AM.
kelldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2007, 09:14 PM   #14
Danzikumaru
Walk me to the Graveyard

Most Trinity Blood cosplay you see is actually cosplay from the novel based on the original illustrations by Throes, not the anime or manga, which are oftentimes much more simple looking.

Danzikumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2007, 09:15 PM   #15
Gwydion
Cardboard is Love

I'd love to try it someday, if only to see how I'd fair with little (or no, as the case may be) artwork. So long as I have some description to go by, I think it'd be fun making it my own, even if it wouldn't necessarily be recognized by others.

Princess Eilonwy from The Chronicles of Prydain series sticks out first as I absolutely love the books, and I really like her character - and though The Black Cauldron is technically her animated, it's different from how the books describe her so I'd be ignoring that, lol.
Prince Alexander, King's Quest VI - 75% done
Gwydion is offline   Reply With Quote