Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Other Costumes

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-25-2007, 12:11 AM   #46
AuroraHermione

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
Sadly, what's preventing me from cosplaying HP or LOTR is the movies. If you tried doing a book costume, people will look at you funny and wonder why you didn't just copy a movie design. I don't LIKE the movie designs, particularly LOTR as I detest the movies, but these days, everyone's into movie recreation instead of going back to the books to do their own design based on author description only. Sigh.

Outside of those two major works, I've never personally thought of doing a book costume because I'm a visual person. What gets me interested in a costume is seeing it. A description in text is not enough to get me excited about a costume no matter how vivid and well it's described or how immersed I am in the book. However, I have done book costumes for others. I did a MordSith (Sword of Truth) last summer for a friend of mine who went to DragonCon. I have yet to see the pictures of her in it, though. She makes the perfect MordSith, she's diminutive and cute with a long braid and yet hides so much evil behind that package.

...so if anybody was at DragonCon last year and saw a MordSith, I'd like to know!
LOL I remember back in 7th grade I was Hermione for Halloween. Totally book based (as this was 2 years before the movies were released and there were no reference images out yet). It was a black robe and cloak. Noone knew who I was until I told them XD I did get in a bit of a fight with a girl over how to pronounce Hermione's name (we were both wrong... I said Her- me- un and she said Her- mone). That was one thing the movie cleared up XD

AuroraHermione is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-25-2007, 06:33 AM   #47
Ironekilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem Akimichi View Post
OMG! Another Death Gate Cycle fan! *proposes* Be my Alfred? XD There's not enough of us. You can find a few fanarts and such around the net -I know one person who used to do some stuff, but she's been pretty silent for the last year or three ;_;-, but not nearly enough for such a worthy series. I still haven't read the last book though. It's not in our library(s) and not available at our bookstore, but then, I live in a small town so thats not saying much. I'll have to order it online when I get the money. We should get a DGC cosplay group together somehow. They all have unique character designs and outfits that would be so much fun to do, especially with the Patryn/Sartan hair.... */ends rant*
Well, I'm not totally averse! I'd just have to read the books over again to refresh my memory. ::Realizes with shock that it's been over 10 years since she's read them:: Wow, time sure flies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem Akimichi View Post
Love your Elf Quest icon, by the way
Thanks!
Unread 06-25-2007, 10:05 AM   #48
Lady Link
Sleep Deprived

After I finish my current Link costumes, I'm making an Arthur costume from Keys to the Kingdom (oh, so much Garth Nix love) I dunno if I'd ever wear it to a convention though, or just laugh when someone asks me why I have clock hands, gauntlets, a trident, etc. in my closet. XD

Aaaand, a bit wishful, but I'd loooove to do a big cosplay group of the main characters from Roger Zelazny's Amber series. Of course, I don't know that many people into cosplay/costuming. So maybe a small trio of Corwin, Merlin, and Random? (Cause they're my favorites.)
Lady Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2007, 12:04 PM   #49
Razia
*whistles*

A few years ago, I saw someone cosplaying as "The Rowan", the main character in an Anne McCaffrey book of the same title I bought at a thrift store YEARS ago because I loved the cover art, but I never read it ... but I still recognised her. The costume was kind of poorly made, but I just thought it was so cool to see someone attempting that costume, that I had to take a picture of it. I even chatted with her a bit about why I recognised her because I figured she'd find it amusing--naturally, she recommended the book, but of course I still haven't read it XD

I'd love to see someone attempt Dark Tower characters--if it was a group, and done well, I think they'd be pretty recognisable, especially if "Susannah" was in a wheelchair.

Planned costumes for MAGfest, 2008:
Elena/Reno (with the b/f)
Walter Sullivan (from Silent Hill 4)

Costumes I'll hopefully get around to some day, but God only knows when:
Sephiroth
Dawn
Edea
Milla/Sasha (with the b/f--from Psychonauts)
Sally (from Nightmare Before Christmas)
(subject to change ... repeatedly =P)
Razia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2007, 04:59 PM   #50
Desse
Adepta Sororitas

Ooooh, now you guys have really tempted me. I've been intending to make plunderhosen and doublets for the ren faire this fall for my husband and I and now you've got me considering an alternative.

Vin & Kelsier from Mistborn, by Brandon sanderson
www.brandonsanderson.com

Amazing book, with the squel coming out this August, and the Mistborn have the coolest cloaks. ^^ Not to mention Vin usually ends up in her underwear during the fight scenes so that should be fun.
Rule #104- Our loyal and honorable members of the Adeptes Astartes are to be referred to as Space Marines, not "Spam in a can"
2008 Costumes
Human form Homura from Karas - Adjusting the pattern
Super Secret Costume Con 2009 masquerade entry - Planning
40K Commissar - Planning

Desse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2007, 12:53 PM   #51
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scortia View Post
Partially yes! ^^
Rem: Oh yes, a Persian would be awesome... Just walking behind me all con and I'd be like "FOR GOD'S SAKE, QUIT STALKING ME ALREADY... " and then throw in some sort of huuuuuuge spoilers from Susan Kay's "Phantom" just to confuse people. :P
O_O Dear lord I can't believe I found someone else who's read that book! It took me ages to find a copy since it's out of print. It's *SUCH* an amazing book!
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2007, 01:05 PM   #52
Obsydian

Someday I'd love to cosplay as the Lady Blue from the Apprentice Adept series <3
Obsydian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2007, 01:47 PM   #53
Scortia

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonekoMiyabi View Post
O_O Dear lord I can't believe I found someone else who's read that book! It took me ages to find a copy since it's out of print. It's *SUCH* an amazing book!
Yeah after finding it on eBay for $100 I was lucky enough to locate a wonderful fan's free downloadable ebook version. They REALLY need to do the reprint for that book! The publishing company is just,... stupid apparently.

But alas, Erik will always be an opium-smoking puppy lover for me. Loved 95% of how Susan Kay represented him.
Unread 06-26-2007, 03:11 PM   #54
vampirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Link View Post
Aaaand, a bit wishful, but I'd loooove to do a big cosplay group of the main characters from Roger Zelazny's Amber series. Of course, I don't know that many people into cosplay/costuming. So maybe a small trio of Corwin, Merlin, and Random? (Cause they're my favorites.)
An Amber group would be awesome! I think there's been like one Corwin at Dragon*Con once.
vampirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2007, 04:46 PM   #55
Pantsu_chan
So dericious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharysa View Post
OH MY GOD I LOVE YOU.

I would LOVE to see a dragonrider or a harper walking around somewhere!
LOL! I think it would be a lot of fun to do the dragonrider Thread-fighting gear or even something more casual....maybe loosely based off of the paintings in "People of Pern" and descriptions in the "Dragonlover's Guide." A roving Harper would be pretty awesome too...especially if you have the harp/pipe/drum! If/when I go to Dragon*con in the next few years, I'll definitely do some Pern cosplay!
Oren Pierre Alfonso (Kamen Rider Gaim)
Marie Antoinette (2001 Takarazuka Rose of Versailles)

Team Awesome <333!!
Pantsu_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2007, 07:24 PM   #56
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

I just finished Dan Simmons' Hyperion, and a Shrike cosplay would be... woo, that would be awesome. Ambitious, and awesome.

--PD
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2007, 11:04 PM   #57
questionablekri
Mystic Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyKittyMulu View Post
Ok, Abarat cosplay would make me just about die of happiness.

I'm DYING to cosplay Lirael. Seriously. I neeeed to.
more:
Aravis from The Horse and his Boy
Alec from the Nightrunner series
someone from the Keys to the Kingdom series. Seriously. I LOVE that series.
Aja Killian from the Pendragon series
someone from the Lost Years of Merlin series <3
Tris from Circle of Magic she's my favorite.

I could go on and on about this XD
Yay! Another Nightrunner person! Lynn Flewelling's going to San Diego Comic Con this year and I'm hoping she likes my Mardus. I'm so worried about it already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razia View Post
I'd love to see someone attempt Dark Tower characters--if it was a group, and done well, I think they'd be pretty recognisable, especially if "Susannah" was in a wheelchair.
This is part of the reason I'm trying to get more of my friends to read DT, so I can have a DT cosplay group. I'm currently trying to get a Roland, Alain, and Sussanah to do a Wizard and Glass group. (most likely doing Cuthbert because he's awesome.)
Anastasia: Anastasia (gold dress)-10%
questionablekri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2007, 12:52 AM   #58
Viveeh
necrocarnival

I would like to do my own version of Cyradis, from David Edding's book The Seeress of Kell..
Viveeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2007, 03:10 PM   #59
Nightengale37
Becca Du

I love the original Phantom of the Opera book and would love to see a red death costume from the book. Though I do like the versions in the Webber musical and the movie, still it would be nice to see another take.

And The Persion, that would be really funny and awesome, except that no one would know who he was :-(

I haven't ever read Susan Kay's "Phantom" though and now I am all interested!

Last edited by Nightengale37 : 06-27-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Nightengale37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2007, 10:53 PM   #60
Moonlit Child
popcorn pumpkin puff

OMG. So my brother and I will apparently be doing Lude and Johnny from The House of Leaves for Otakon this year. He's going have a tape-measurer with him and everything! And a copy of the book. We're going to try to make the "Really Obscure Anything" photo shoot on Sunday. Today rocked, just for getting him to agree to do it.

The only thing that's missing is somebody to do Thumper.

Last edited by Moonlit Child : 06-27-2007 at 10:55 PM.
Moonlit Child is offline   Reply With Quote