Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 677 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-05-2007, 09:25 PM   #256
phantomthief
It was fun, wasn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonchildThorn View Post
Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments.
Well, it was fast and everything and I'm ecstatic about how it looks, but there were some hidden cons to the whole outfit. My metal she used on my costume was RUSTY. Like... the costume had been sitting around in a puddle somewhere. The clasp on the dress is rusty, I'm pretty sure the belt buckle is getting there, and the pin for the armband is completely rusty. (I know this for sure- I cut it off and sure enough the entire back of it was silver. -_-; )
That's a health hazard O___O
PLEASE tell me they're giving you some kind of compensation for that.

~Ari-chan

Unread 07-06-2007, 12:03 AM   #257
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Dream Angels
www.dreamangels.net
Katia, Lost Kingdoms/Rune: Full Costume
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...151846copy.jpg
Payment sent August 2006, Received July 2007
Pros: The accuracy on this piece is undeniable. Everything from the individual, nonsensical markings to the fabric choices were absolutely impeccably done. The construction was 99% absolutely stunning, it was comfortable, well fit and again fantastically accurate; even the cut and fall of the fabric was exactly perfect. Exactly. They were great work with, immediately responsive and very accommodating.
Cons: Strangely, despite the fact I placed my order 11 months before the due date, they still pushed it back by three weeks. I do understand that they are a business and order the work they receive by priority, but it did seem a little ridiculous. Thankfully I had requested a due date of exactly three weeks before the convention, so it arrived the day before I left. If I had requested it to be due right before the con as most customers do, I would simply have been without a costume despite having given them almost a full year to complete it. While the construction on the fabric and even the plastic-assembled hip-ornament was breathtaking, the two buttons at the top of the cape broke before I had a chance to wear it outside and I had to glue them not only together, but to the collar. Then it wouldn't stay up because they had provided a single fastener in a poor place so I had to velcro it upright in the hotel room. If it had been received on time, I would have known of these problems soon enough to give them proper solutions, but as it was if I hadn't had glue and velcro immediately available I simply would've had a poorly assembled costume.
Comments: Despite all the whining in the cons above, I still highly, highly recommend them to everyone. From my understanding it is just two of them who do this sort of work, and one of them was out of the country which is why it was delivered so late. While this is a poor excuse considering the 11 months they had to work with, they definitely came through above and beyond expectations and I look forward to working with them again in the near future--they are definitely trustworthy.
Final Grade: A

Last edited by Kanira : 07-06-2007 at 04:27 AM.
Kanira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2007, 04:25 AM   #258
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

AnimeAngel
Akari Mizunashi and Aika, Aria: Wigs (2)
Akari, back
Akari, front
Aika, front
Payment sent January 2007, Received June 2007
Pros: Very swift, professional communication and very accomodating. Obviously a very hard worker and very well versed and experienced in what she does; very talented, kind and enjoyble to work with overall.
Cons: Despite the fact we agreed on a June 1st due date in email, there was apparently a mis-interpretation where she believed our due date was July 1st, which would've been right in the middle of the convention. We received them both three weeks late just two days before we left, and they both showed signs of rush.
Aika's braided extensions are a noticeably darker shade of blue, and the poor packing attempt of taping the wigs down almost ruined them. She attempted to tape the wig heads to the bottom of the box they were being transported in, and when the tape came lose it attached itself to the hair.
The pictures shown here are after each wig was carefully groomed, but Aika's was practically reconstructed to salvage it. One of the stubs could be clearly seen as it was standing straight out from the wig with the braid poorly hanging from it and it took some interesting pinning, hair spray and styling to put it together in an acceptable manner, though it is still way too short. No attempts were made on the bangs at all, but that too was managed.
Akari had been either trimmed scandalously short in the back or was just unsuited to the hairspray which styled her; either way, as can be seen in the first image, it was so thin the wig cap could be seen quite clearly beneath it. A third possibility is she simply used the cheapest base wig she could find in order to make a bigger proft. This could've been solved through adding additional wefts, but since it was received three weeks late I wasn't able to do so myself and hadn't thought she would send it out in such an interesting state.
The hair ornaments used for Akari were an odd gold-painted metal sheeting of some sort bound with hot glue which kept peeling off. In the pictures provided they have been replaced with yellow-painted paper, the hats were sewn on by us.
Comments: While there were quite a few exceptions made to the quality here, I believe it can all be greatly blamed on the time frame. Had it not been for the miscommunication I have a feeling she would have put much more time and effort into the final product; she does amazing work with her own wigs and I have no doubt that if everything had been clearly understood, there wouldn't've been any problem with these.
Final Grade: B

Last edited by Kanira : 07-09-2008 at 01:44 AM.
Unread 07-07-2007, 04:06 AM   #259
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Katie Bair
Katia, Lost Kingdoms: Wig
All Angles
Front
Side
Back
Payment sent December 2007, Received June 2007
Pros: Amazing. Simply amazing. When I placed this order in December I was skeptical; Katie has a long, long to-do list which she updates daily and posts publicly dating all the way back to orders placed in 2005. I let this intimidate me and commonly emailed her asking for updates and reassurance, but my concern was misplaced. It was received exactly on time, despite the fact she not only created the wig and the smaller decorations but allowed me to ship the larger ornament which was created by another commissioner and built it directly into the wig itself at no extra cost or issues with the schedule.
She is amazingly professional (she's been in this business for many years, and I applaud her for her perseverance), a fantastic person AND commissioner. There are far too many excellent things about this experience to list.
Despite having issues with spam bots, filter monsters and an overly busy schedule her replies were always swift and informative. She packed the wig in two levels with supportive layers of foam, plastic protection and hair nets to assure it was received in perfect condition, which it did without a doubt.
After hearing stories about her she was the only one I felt I could trust with this project, and I proudly proclaim I feel this was a correct assumption. I cannot praise her enough for all her hard work and astounding talent; some could say this was quite a monetary investment, but I believe it was beyond worth every moment and every dime.
Cons: None, whatsoever, at all.
Comments: I recommend her to anyone and everyone ^^ From my experience, there is simply no one better to go to.
Final Grade: A+

Last edited by Kanira : 07-26-2007 at 11:45 PM.
Unread 07-07-2007, 01:07 PM   #260
delicatexflower
Burnin' the floor

Name of Commissioner: Xavietta
Cosplay.com gallery: http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?member=23115
Character commissioned: Juri Arisugawa (Revolutionary Girl Utena: Movie version) Jacket top only.
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item:

Font
Cuffs
Timeline: Paid April 26 2007- Received July 6 2007
Pros: The pictures don’t do the jacket justice. Xavietta followed all my specific requests exactly from what type of materials and colors I wanted to be used, all the way to where to put each button at. She really worked with me and took note of everything I asked for. Not to mention she was prompt with replies to every single one of my PMs and never made me feel as though I was bothering her with my constant check ups. Her price was also very reasonable, only charging me $85 (shipping included) and allowed me to do installed payments. Whereas, most commissioners would have charged me at least $100.
Cons: Honestly, I can find nothing wrong with the piece. Everything is practically perfect.
Comments: It took me months to decide who I should commission for this piece, and I’m really happy that I choose Xavietta to take on this commission. I highly recommend her to anyone.
Original kimono character
delicatexflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2007, 06:57 PM   #261
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Oops, forgot to let you know I updated ^^;
Unread 07-08-2007, 01:39 AM   #262
Panda Usagi

Name of Commissioner: Amethyst Angel
Website/C.com gallery http://www.amethyst-angel.com/
Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.) Azula from Avatar the last airbender
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item; Azula
Shoe, Leg seam , ankle cuff , Shoe 2, Skirt, pants, belt , Shirt, Top Inside 'cape'
Hair thing Hair thing, side
All together
Timeline (how long your order took to process) Here's the fun part.
1/31/2007- I send her info to get a quote
2/09/ 2007- gets back asking if I still want the quote and the the due date is no trouble. It shouldn't be the due date is June 29th.
25 of Feb - I get my quote.
05 Mar 2007- she send me paypal info, I pay her the same day.
Paypal trouble
3/14/2007- trouble clears and I send size info
16 Mar 2007-last I hear of her until I email her.
From this point on I hear almost nothing even when I email her. Maybe three emails saying "it's in my work queue" between then and when I email her a nasty letter (6/2/2007)
I hear back from her say day (-_-) saying "sorry about lack of email, blah, blah, blah." Says she's just now stating on mine.
I get an email from her ever two days or so about my cosplay and things are looking up. It gets here Wed Jun 20. I try it on. Fitting is poor. There are mistakes in the make -see comments- I email her that same day. I have yet to hear from her.

Describe your Experience. She seemed pretty cool at first. And I was happy that she'd work with a first time buyer like myself so nicely. But lack of emails got to me and when the cosplay did come it was not worth the money I paid! The 'shoes' were she tighter fabric sewed onto the pants. Backwards. Left foot on right leg -_-. ankle straps were to tight (seems small but it really messed me up with you know WALKING!) pants were two big, also made it hard to walk (everything was to big) and it was just a sloppy job all around. (Keeping in mind this isn't really a skin tight costume it should still fit!)
I haven't sent the last payment yet. And she hasn't answered any emails.

Edit; Emailed me again a few weeks ago, explained about the con rush holding up her e-mail (not the costume just getting back to me about how awful it was).
She offered to do another costume/fix mine for me witch I'm iffy about at best. I think I'm to nice and will wind up sending last payment -sighs-
Final Grade: D-

Edit: Finally got photos up.

Last edited by Panda Usagi : 11-18-2007 at 11:26 AM.
Unread 07-08-2007, 06:27 PM   #263
fatalinjection
that's what she said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Usagi View Post
Name of Commissioner: Amethyst Angel
Website/C.com gallery http://www.amethyst-angel.com/
Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.) Azula from Avatar the last airbender
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item; None right now. I'll try to add them later.
Timeline (how long your order took to process) Here's the fun part.
1/31/2007- I send her info to get a quote
2/09/ 2007- gets back asking if I still want the quote and the the due date is no trouble. It shouldn't be the due date is June 29th.
25 of Feb - I get my quote.
05 Mar 2007- she send me paypal info, I pay her the same day.
Paypal trouble
3/14/2007- trouble clears and I send size info
16 Mar 2007-last I hear of her until I email her.
From this point on I hear almost nothing even when I email her. Maybe three emails saying "it's in my work queue" between then and when I email her a nasty letter (6/2/2007)
I hear back from her say day (-_-) saying "sorry about lack of email, blah, blah, blah." Says she's just now stating on mine.
I get an email from her ever two days or so about my cosplay and things are looking up. It gets here Wed Jun 20. I try it on. Fitting is poor. There are mistakes in the make -see comments- I email her that same day. I have yet to hear from her.

Describe your Experience. She seemed pretty cool at first. And I was happy that she'd work with a first time buyer like myself so nicely. But lack of emails got to me and when the cosplay did come it was not worth the money I paid! The 'shoes' were she tighter fabric sewed onto the pants. Backwards. Left foot on right leg -_-. ankle straps were to tight (seems small but it really messed me up with you know WALKING!) pants were two big, also made it hard to walk (everything was to big) and it was just a sloppy job all around. (Keeping in mind this isn't really a skin tight costume it should still fit!)
I haven't sent the last payment yet. And she hasn't answered any emails.
Final Grade: D-
I never sent my final payment, and I'm not ashamed about it. She missed my deadline completely, and overall when I got it it seemed very rushed, and there were stains on the shirt. Pretty gross. I was disappointed because she'd had such great reviews over the years, too. It sucks that she's doing this to people now.
Matsumoto (shinigami & school uniform); Bleach
Reira ; NANA
Risa ; Lovely*Complex
fatalinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 02:20 AM   #264
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated! ^^
Unread 07-12-2007, 01:21 AM   #265
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Limebarb
www.limebarb.com
Katia, Lost Kingdoms:
All Angles, glowing
Example 1
Example 2
Payment sent November 2006, Received February 2007
Pros: Excellent quality, communication, price and speed. She offered to have it light up at no extra charge and provided such, made it lightweight enough to wear in a wig and even rigged it (as seen in pictures) to be attached to aforementioned wig, despite the fact I didn't actually request such. Would've had quite a problem if she hadn't, though; it was so great to feel like she was looking out for me while still doing excellent work ^^ And she did!
Cons: Not a thing!
Comments: When I placed the order I'd said I didn't need it until March, only to proceed to annoy her in December about it so I could get it to my wig-maker. She shipped it out almost a full month early, just because I'd made an error in timing things between commissioners at no extra cost and no risks taken in the quality. I had no right to ask for an early delivery, and yet she provided it without trouble or complaint; I will never be able to thank her enough ^^

Last edited by Kanira : 07-12-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Unread 07-12-2007, 03:39 PM   #266
MaryRyanBogard
A misfit among misfits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanira View Post
Payment sent November 2007, Received February 2007
Don't you mean November 2006?

Ginny Weasley and the Midnight Magic Party- the closest thing to a website I have right now.
MaryRyanBogard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2007, 04:42 PM   #267
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryRyanBogard View Post
Don't you mean November 2006?
Yes :> Silly me! Thank you!
Unread 07-12-2007, 11:06 PM   #268
fatalinjection
that's what she said

Name of Commissioner: BlueCosplayAnge
Website/C.com gallery: Website Cos.com gallery
Character commissioned and series/video game: Luppi (Bleach)
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: None, haven't received it.
Timeline: I paid her May 25th, and she told me she could have it by Otakon (though expected to be done with it much earlier).
Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments: Hadn't heard of this girl before, but her gallery was pretty big and her stuff looked rather nice, so when she PMed me with a quote that sounded reasonable, I figured I'd go with it. At the time, since she said she had a lot of free time to make costumes, I mentioned that if she got it done by AMA (Jun 14th), I'd be totally grateful but I understood that was a very short time, so I totally understood if she couldn't, and I'd just wait to wear it at Otakon. She told me she would be finished with her other comissions in a couple days, so she'd give it a shot.

Time came for the convention, and I hadn't heard from her at all, so I figured she hadn't gotten it done, no big deal. Got home from the convention, still heard nothing. Ended up getting a little antsy (since she'd really given me the impression that it'd be a quick commission, and I wasn't hearing ANYTHING from her), and emailed her just asking if she'd started on it yet. She said she had, and she'd email progress pictures that day or the next day. Waited a few days, got nothing, emailed her again. She finally sent pictures of the pants, also saying she'd burned her hand, and as such had been slowed down a bit, but that she had the rest cut out and it'd be finished by the next day. I waited about a week after that with no response, emailed her again as the convention was fast approaching. She didn't email me back.

I PMed her on here, since she'd been signing on rather frequently but apparently ignoring my emails. She finally emailed me back then, saying that it was done and that she was just finishing up some seams & that she'd send pictures that night & ship it out the next day. (This was on the 9th). Never sent pictures. I PMed her yesterday (since, again, she'd been signing on but not replying to my emails or sending me any pictures) with a pretty nasty PM. She signed on tonight, didn't respond, email me back, OR send me pictures. I just sent her another PM about how she should at least have the decency to respond to her paying customers when their convention is 5 days away, pretty much. All throughout this time that she's not been responding or has been 'slowed down because of her burnt hand', she's been uploading photos of HER new costumes & props and such, so obviously that was a lie or over-exaggeration. At this moment, I would not recommend her to ANYONE. At this point, if she doesn't rush-ship my costume, it most likely won't arrive in time.

EDIT: Her 'husband' just responded to my PM, saying her mother had been in the hospital the past few days & that's why she hasn't shipped it out, but that he'd overnight it. We'll see if I actually get it or if that's just another excuse.

EDIT 2: Costume was received on time, but ended up being so inaccurate I had to do a LOT of work to it in one night before the convention.

Final Grade: F, may change if, I don't know, she actually responds to me or I get my costume. I honestly am considering taking her to court if I do not recieve it in time. :\ EDIT: Definitely F. Wouldn't recommend her at all.

EDIT: Starting on this page, she's replied in a very nasty way, including finally threatening to SUE ME FOR SLANDER FOR TALKING TO HER OTHER CUSTOMERS, LOL.
Reira ; NANA
Risa ; Lovely*Complex

Last edited by fatalinjection : 09-15-2007 at 03:44 PM.
Unread 07-13-2007, 09:10 AM   #269
chaos_magician
Mummies Alive!

fatalinjection: OMGZ!! I asked her for a commission as well but I didn't send the money since I wanted to see if she would respond frequently..the only time she responded was when she sent me her address to ship payment under her husbands name 0___0..after that I sent her a few e-mails but she never responded..it's a good thing my gut feeling told me otherwise... I do hope you at least receive it...I got scammed once & I never received any of the costume...she's still on the c.com forums & goes under the name of chico here's her link: http://members.cosplay.com/member/2179/..
apparently she's scammed several others here on the forums as well & on Gaia..she is still on the commissioner's thread so to everyone pls avoid her at all costs! my final grade to her is an F and if there was a grade any lower I would put that...I really hope you receive your costume in the end *crosses fingers* I really find the whole thing to be disgusting..I mean you offer your services & cheat honest ppl.. Why do this to ppl who are putting their complete trust in you & stealing their hard earned money..I really hope they're all punished in the end ><

MY DEVIANTArt : http://kimimaro-21.deviantart.com/
chaos_magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2007, 09:34 AM   #270
fatalinjection
that's what she said

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_magician View Post
fatalinjection: OMGZ!! I asked her for a commission as well but I didn't send the money since I wanted to see if she would respond frequently..the only time she responded was when she sent me her address to ship payment under her husbands name 0___0..after that I sent her a few e-mails but she never responded..it's a good thing my gut feeling told me otherwise... I do hope you at least receive it...I got scammed once & I never received any of the costume...she's still on the c.com forums & goes under the name of chico here's her link: http://members.cosplay.com/member/2179/..
apparently she's scammed several others here on the forums as well & on Gaia..she is still on the commissioner's thread so to everyone pls avoid her at all costs! my final grade to her is an F and if there was a grade any lower I would put that...I really hope you receive your costume in the end *crosses fingers* I really find the whole thing to be disgusting..I mean you offer your services & cheat honest ppl.. Why do this to ppl who are putting their complete trust in you & stealing their hard earned money..I really hope they're all punished in the end ><
Oh, trust me, if I don't receive it, she won't be getting away with it. I'm not one to just let $140 go down the drain and say "Oh, well, I just won't commission her again." Hellll no, I'll take it offline and make SURE I get my money back.

Sorry that you got scammed, though. I've heard about some other people getting scammed by that girl, too...
Reira ; NANA
Risa ; Lovely*Complex