Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1079 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-16-2007, 08:41 PM   #286
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated!
Kanira is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-17-2007, 10:52 AM   #287
lapseof__reason
mo money = mo cosplay

Name of Commissioner: nugrosjp

Website/C.com gallery: www.cosplay1.com

Character commissioned: Rena Ryugu from Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...shi-manga1.jpg

Items commissioned: Dress, hat, wristbands

Link to picture: Will update with these asap

Timeline: First contacted them around the beginning of June, received the costume this morning.

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments.
During the entire commissioning process I was extremely nervous. Mostly because this is my first commissioned costume EVER for my first cosplay EVER for my first con EVER. xD I was getting quotes from a bunch of different sites, and his had gotten back to me extremely fast saying he could get to work on it right away and have it done by my deadline of July 9th (I'm wearing it for Otakon).

Pros; Excellent work. The quality of just everything is amazing. The dress is made of a sturdy fabric (I'm not fabric savy, I wouldn't know) and fully lined with something...silky (satin? I don't know. xD ) The bows (which I though would have been done in satin or something) are beautifully done, and they came up with an ingenious way for back bow to stay up instead of drooping over. The wristbands definitely surprised me. They're AMAZING quality, I honestly was expecting just two pieces of cloth sewed together to make a circle. As for fitting, it does fit well, it's actually a little bit loose in some places, but I'm almost one hundred percent positive it was my fault. I used pretty uh "primitive" methods to measure myself.

Cons; I only have on problem with the whole commission, and that's the hat. If you look at the reference picture, the hat is all white with a strip of black separating the two halves of white. On the hat I got however, the part under the black line is blue, not white. I'm really not sure where they got that it was blue from but...eh. Life goes on!

Final Grade: A-
ღ mami tomoe - pmmm
ღ genderbent!cecil palmer - wtnv
lapseof__reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2007, 11:37 AM   #288
4ng31
meh.

Name of Commissioner - LimeBarb

Website/C.com gallery - www.limebarb.com

Character commissioned and series/video game
- Full costume and wig for Bridget from Guilty Gear (Falcoon version)

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item - http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.ph...0&member=61208

Timeline - Payment sent March 15th, costume received July 16th (about 4 months)

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments. - As anyone who has seen the Falcoon art of Bridget, they will know exactly how "intensive" the design is, so finding a commissioner with the ability to even take the project on was tough. LimeBarb said they would in fact do it, and have it here before Otakon...in which they delivered on both fronts.

The costume was packed extremely well when it arrived.

The main dress is beautiful. It fits incredibly and the skirt length is perfect without me even giving them a measurement for how long I wanted it to be. All the fabric used looks amazing and the accuracy of everything (cross placement, designs, etc...) is so good, it's scary

The habit was a bit short, and kind of hard to put on while wearing the wig, but these are minor gripes and in no way take away from the overall costume.

The wig though, was just sent as a wig. The color was spot on, and the style of it was also great, but there was no real style attempts put into it, which isn't an issue, as my girl styled it very quickly last night.

The gloves could have been a little tighter, but the cuffs look incredible.

To sum it up, I guess I would say that the every thing having to do with fabric and sewing is incredible. All the pieces of the costume are usable, but they really shine in their work with sewing.

Final Grade - A

This will be worn to Otakon!

Last edited by 4ng31 : 07-24-2007 at 12:25 AM.
4ng31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2007, 11:56 AM   #289
KurzesHaar
Nemo nisi mors

Name of Commissioner: Lillyxandra
Website/C.com gallery: http://www.firefly-path.net/

Character commissioned and series/video game: Sun Shang Xiang from Dynasty Warriors 5, whole costume

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: The items she sent me:http://www.firefly-path.net/gallery/...Com/comm60.php what I had to remake myself:http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1138770

Timeline: I emailed her in July of 2006 and made the first payment (1/3 of the total cost) after we had agreed on the price. My deadline was by AUSA in mid November 2006, but I gave her a date in the beginning of Nov to make sure it got here on time. She shipped it to me a week after AUSA.

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments: In the original email she sent me back, she said she would have no problem completing the costume by my deadline and we agreed on a price considering she was going to do embroidery on the costume, as well as some painted details. She only asked me for a few measurements (bust, waist, hips, height, that's it!) but I sent a long a few extras to ensure a proper fit. I asked her in many emails if she ever needed more measurements and she said no.
I hadn't heard a thing from her by the beginning of October, so I sent her an email asking about the progress and when she wanted me to send the second 1/3 of the payment and reminding her my deadline was in a month. She said she was progressing on it well and that I could send the payment.
On November 1st I emailed her again and she responded saying the costume was basically finished except for a few minor details and she would be sending it out soon and asked me to send the final payment. I did and asked her to email me when she'd sent the costume out. I didn't hear from her until November 12th when she said she would be sending the costume out soon. It arrived about a week after the convention and didn't fit at all.
The pants were way too tight (aka couldn't fit them on) and when I held them up to me, the pants went to my ankles when they're supposed to be capri pants that end right below the knee! I had to remake the pants myself and only used the top portion which she had store bought anyway. The top was also way too tight around my hips, but too big around my bust and was made without the slits in the front and side, which luckily made the top fit after I cut those out, but I had to tailor the top to fit my bust. The black shirt underneath was also store bought and not particularly accurate. The headband was originally about 5 inches wide, and my forehead is definately not that large XD.
Also, almost everything was painted on, not embroidered.
Overall, I remade half of the costume, using my own materials and got no money back, and didn't receive it on time, even though I wouldn't have been able to wear it anyway. The craftsmenship of the costume was fairly decent, but the measurements were waaaaay off (I'm apparantly 6 ft tall, with 28" hips, and 38" bust...)

Final Grade: D+
KurzesHaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2007, 03:45 PM   #290
Lumasnati
Wants a cookie..

Name of Commissioner: Tenshinoitami
Website/C.com gallery: http://forums.cosplay.com/member/563

Character commissioned and series/video game: Fai D Flowright [Shirt only]

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: [Will come soon]

Timeline: 3 weeks

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments:

Okay. At first, I was scammed by Blaandy... so I rushed around to find a commissioner... Luckily, I found one, Tenshinoitami. She was very kind to me at first and she was willing to take the timeline that I set down. I had the commission started before the 4th and it was mailed to me Monday July 16th.

I gave her the same measurements that I gave to Nugrosjp. [Love that commissioner!]. When the deadline came, she sent the package to me. [I just received it today] and I opened it up to find that:

1. The shirt is WAAAAY too short in the front. It's supposed to stop at the waist, not above the navel.
2. There were supposed to be gloves. There aren't any.
3. Everything is the right color, but it doesn't fit AT ALL across the chest and back...
4. The zipper gets stuck.
5. I was hoping for a better fabric... It feels... very stiff.
6. The collar is too tight. I think I nearly suffocated. ^^;;
7. The sleeves are HUGE. OO;

This costume would be better for a boy my age who was 3 times skinner and had his head turned around on his body. ^^;;
I do appreciate and understand that this was a rushed commission, but I wonder if the commissioner saw the reference pictures close enough.

Final Grade: D. so now I have to scrap Fai for Otakon and start over for AUSA.

Next con Stop: Katsucon 2011~
World of Warcraft - Night Elf/Blood Elf Priest Tier 10

Lumasnati is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2007, 10:52 PM   #291
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Had some catching up to do! ^^; Updated!
Unread 07-19-2007, 09:01 AM   #292
Northern
Master in the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkuseruRokusesu View Post
Name of Commissioner: Tenshinoitami
Website/C.com gallery: http://forums.cosplay.com/member/563

Character commissioned and series/video game: Fai D Flowright [Shirt only]

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: [Will come soon]

Timeline: 3 weeks

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments:

Okay. At first, I was scammed by Blaandy... so I rushed around to find a commissioner... Luckily, I found one, Tenshinoitami. She was very kind to me at first and she was willing to take the timeline that I set down. I had the commission started before the 4th and it was mailed to me Monday July 16th.

I gave her the same measurements that I gave to Nugrosjp. [Love that commissioner!]. When the deadline came, she sent the package to me. [I just received it today] and I opened it up to find that:

1. The shirt is WAAAAY too short in the front. It's supposed to stop at the waist, not above the navel.
2. There were supposed to be gloves. There aren't any.
3. Everything is the right color, but it doesn't fit AT ALL across the chest and back...
4. The zipper gets stuck.
5. I was hoping for a better fabric... It feels... very stiff.
6. The collar is too tight. I think I nearly suffocated. ^^;;
7. The sleeves are HUGE. OO;

This costume would be better for a boy my age who was 3 times skinner and had his head turned around on his body. ^^;;
I do appreciate and understand that this was a rushed commission, but I wonder if the commissioner saw the reference pictures close enough.

Final Grade: D. so now I have to scrap Fai for Otakon and start over for AUSA.

Wow...Im sorry you had such a bad time with that costume, but I do have to correct you on one tiny little thing. Not sticking up for the commissioner, hell no, what she did stinks, but she is right about the waist...the technical waist is measured at the smallest part of the waist....unfortunatly, that is right above the navel for most people, it could also be the reason why her proportions were so off, probably didnt take in account for the bust. Personally I would contact her and have her remake the costume for you properly, maybe ever use a dummy instead of eyeballing the size, which is what it sounds like she did >.<

Anime North 2012
Friday: Toothless Hoodie
Saturday: Millitary Lolita
Sunday: Soubi- Loveless

youji_kudou_@hotmail.com
Northern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2007, 05:21 PM   #293
Mokuba
Squishy

Name of Commissioner: Obscured Reality
Website/C.com gallery: http://www.obscuredreality.com
Character commissioned and series/video game: Black Mage Arc from FF3 (just the robe)
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: I never got it
Timeline (how long your order took to process): Started Jan '07
Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments: I asked them if they could make Arc's black mage robe, which was in 3 parts, around early Jan. I was given the approval after sending in my measurements and payment (via money order).

On March, I asked for progress reports on my costume and they said that they'll be done by AnimeNEXT (which is when I needed it). I sent numerous emails regarding its progress every month and everytime they replied, they said it would be done. By May, I received a reply from them saying that they mistakenly placed my name under an order for an Org XIII coat. They apologized for the mix up and promised to get my costume done prior to July 6.

By the fourth week of June, I was beginning to worry why my costume haven't arrived yet. I sent an email about it and found out that one of the members of OR "disappeared,
and with him having all of our projects PLUS the sewing machine and serger, i haven't been able to work on anything since the end of may
". I then asked whether or not any commissions have been halted and have not heard from them since.

It's been 2 weeks since AnimeNEXT and I haven't received any word from them. I sent them an email about a week ago and still nothing. Geh. $200 lost on nothing. Never buy from Obscured Reality!

Final Grade: F-

Anime Boston Dealers Security: 2010-2011
Otakon DRLP: 2009-2013
Mokuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2007, 11:51 PM   #294
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated!
Unread 07-23-2007, 04:58 PM   #295
Missha
Super Turbo Nerdy.

Name of Commissioner: Dream-Angels
Website/C.com gallery: http://www.dream-angels.net
Character commissioned and series: Claire Redfield, Resident Evil: Code Veronica (Her vest)
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...r/100_7574.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...r/100_7575.jpg

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1184644
Timeline: May 2007 - July 2007 I believe
Pros: Very friendly people and service. My vest fits perfectly, and was done so well, it looks like it just came out of the game.
Cons: I have no complaints
Comments: I would get another commission done by them anytime. They are most willing to help with anything and all you have is friendly people, friendly service, and an excellent costume for a very reasonable price.
Final Grade: A+

Last edited by Missha : 07-23-2007 at 05:02 PM.
Missha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2007, 07:25 PM   #296
4ng31
meh.

Name of Commissioner - Minuberry

Website/C.com gallery - http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.ph...0&member=36116

Character commissioned and series/video game - Simca from Air Gear (dress only)

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item - http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.ph...8&member=64612

Timeline - First contacted her on June 12th, and picked up the costume Thursday (July 19th) in person at Otakon.

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments. - Amazing. I was highly impressed, and my girlfriend loved it. It was lined, sewed perfectly, totally accurate...just amazing. Store bought quality. Very communicative, and an extremely nice girl. And to deliver such an amazing costume in such short time for a great price...I seriously couldn't ask for more. So much potential! Not a single con...none.

Final Grade - A+
Unread 07-23-2007, 09:32 PM   #297
4ng31
meh.

Name of Commissioner - Dream-Angels

Website/C.com gallery - http://www.dream-angels.net/

Character commissioned and series/video game - Halloween Town Sora from Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix (full costume)

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item - http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.ph...4&member=61208

Timeline - Got the quote on May 19th, and received the costume on July 18th.

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments. - Having dealt with DA in the past, I knew what to expect from their work. Finished product was excellent, although they forgot the boot covers, which forced my girlfriend to build a pair of Christmas Sora shoes the night before we left for Otakon...which might have been a blessing in disguise as they turned out incredible. Everything else was a perfect fit, accuracy was right on, and the fabric choice was great as well. Plus I love the way the legs pieces were done...so much nicer than having to wrap the pants with cloth.

Only downside was the boot covers were forgotten, but all is well and everything worked out fine.

Final Grade - A
Unread 07-24-2007, 12:10 AM   #298
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated with a new layout to accomodate the growing list ^^ Please let me know if it's too inconveniencing! I've kept the old layout saved so if this one meets character limit or it proves too complicating, will find a different way to solve things.
Unread 07-24-2007, 08:05 AM   #299
Mimette
Mistress Citrus

I just wanted to confirm that it seems that Buggirl2002's ebay store has been shut down as has the username. That doesn't mean she isn't operating under another name now or another website, but I think it should be noted. If I find her new username I will definitely put it up here.
Mimette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2007, 09:33 PM   #300
Usachan
cosplay dreams come true

I know I wrote here a while back giving AnnAnime a C+, well I would like
to change my grade to a D- I am disappointed to say that she never did
come around with giving me my costume. Which by the way I probably
won't ever see my costume ever again or plan to use her for anything again.
Usachan is offline   Reply With Quote