Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 383 votes, 4.90 average.
Unread 08-20-2007, 07:21 AM   #5236
Runi-Chan
*pondering*

Peeve; Me. Why am I getting irritated because one of my friends is thinking about doing the same version of the same character that I'm planning? Maybe it's because she got into the series only recently, and I've got that irrational "better fan than you because I've been following it longer" thing coursing through my brain. Which I should really get rid out, lickety-split.
Runi-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-20-2007, 07:32 AM   #5237
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inked~Wrong View Post
even though I know I'll get looked down upon from not doing an 'Anime' outfit
Wait, what? People still do that? That's strange. I always thought that J-rock/J-pop costumes were just as welcome at anime conventions as anime, manga and video game costumes. As far as I've seen, it's mostly been people cosplaying from genres outside of the Japanese bunch that have been picked on (American cartoons/comics/films, etc.).

Now, if you see someone running at you full-tilt at a con, stick your arms out, try to step out of the way, or make some sort of physical indication that you don't want them to hug/touch you, because they might not hear (or listen to) you at first. If you don't see it coming, there's probably not much you can do about it. Your "do NOT glomp me" sign may have been misread as a "glomp me" sign from afar, too.

If a group of people decided to drag me to the ground with glomps, I'd start using a bit of force (or a very loud voice. Don't be afraid of sounding "mean" if they're clearly invading your personal space - give 'em hell for it). A hug is one thing, but glomping someone to the point of her falling down and breaking parts of her costume is another. :/ I'm not condoning beating the crap out of someone just because he/she hugged you, but when someone's crossed the line, you have to deal with it appropriately.
Angathol is evolving!
Congratulations! Your Angathol evolved into Independent Badass!
Future Costumes: Deedlit : Record of Lodoss War | Saber : Fate/Stay Night | Aya Shameimaru : Touhou Project | Nozomu Itoshiki : Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Angathol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2007, 10:08 AM   #5238
caisse
the sugoi princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurouni_Ina_Box View Post
Peeve; Me. Why am I getting irritated because one of my friends is thinking about doing the same version of the same character that I'm planning? Maybe it's because she got into the series only recently, and I've got that irrational "better fan than you because I've been following it longer" thing coursing through my brain. Which I should really get rid out, lickety-split.
I think I'd be just as annoyed, too, though. xD Why not try and convince her to do a different costume if you really don't want you two being the same thing?

katsucon 2012
friday;; feferi peixes [homestuck] | ramona flowers [scott pilgrim]
saturday;; stocking anarchy [pswg] | catherine [catherine]
sunday meenah peixes [homestuck]

caisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2007, 10:59 AM   #5239
LizardMandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angathol View Post
Now, if you see someone running at you full-tilt at a con, stick your arms out, try to step out of the way, or make some sort of physical indication that you don't want them to hug/touch you, because they might not hear (or listen to) you at first. If you don't see it coming, there's probably not much you can do about it. Your "do NOT glomp me" sign may have been misread as a "glomp me" sign from afar, too.
Geez people are rude aren't they? I can't imagine people having ROOM to run full-tilt at a convention. I guess if one does and ignores your head-shaking arm-shaking "stay away!" body language, the best thing to do is once they get close enough, shove them to the side while you go to the other side - redirect momentum, don't resist it.

This is making me glad that my mascot-style costume this year is Lizard Man, he's not really cute enough to get fangirls, I hope. (Except me.)

My peeve right now is boots. For some reason I thought it was going to be a good idea to buy some faux suede and make my own boots. Six hours straight of working on it yesterday have me wondering about my sanity. o.O;;
LizardMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2007, 11:29 AM   #5240
CherryBomb
Here to devour your moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Clover View Post

I also hate when people claim that a cosplayer is the "best ___ ever" or "better than the original".

Better than the original? Seriously, WTF?
Word. I've heard of some people saying a certain Jack Sparrow costumer was better than Johnny Depp himself! How can you possibly portray a character better than the actual person who brought the character to life?!?
......That thought makes my brain hurt.
CherryBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2007, 11:39 AM   #5241
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
Word. I've heard of some people saying a certain Jack Sparrow costumer was better than Johnny Depp himself! How can you possibly portray a character better than the actual person who brought the character to life?!?
Rofl, I heard about that.

Johnny Depp is the ORIGINAL Jack Sparrow. :P

(But he didn't make his own costume! OH SNAP)
Angathol is evolving!
Future Costumes: Deedlit : Record of Lodoss War | Saber : Fate/Stay Night | Aya Shameimaru : Touhou Project | Nozomu Itoshiki : Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Unread 08-20-2007, 12:00 PM   #5242
KomoriChu
~Neopet Fursuiter~

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardMandy View Post
This is making me glad that my mascot-style costume this year is Lizard Man, he's not really cute enough to get fangirls, I hope. (Except me.)
XDDD Haha, all mascot costumes are invitations for glomps, no matter what the character! Be very, very wary.
Unread 08-20-2007, 01:53 PM   #5243
*Kai*
Giga-what?

On the skimpy note ((late, but I haven't been on in a few days. xD)): A few of my costume are skimpy-ish, but true to the character that I am trying to portray, like Winry or even Kuja.

However, I make sure to work out and ensure that I am fit for the costume. Plus, like Kuja who wears a THONG, I took some creative liberties and used a white bathing suit bottom with the purple "thong" pieces sewn on over it to give the illusion of actually wearing one but no risk off my bum hanging out. ^^;;

Lately though I have been doing more "clothed" people like Kadaj and now I am working on Rosiel and Link. ^^; I only do characters that I actually like, not because they wear "barely there" clothing. =P

As others have already mentioned, as long as you're comfortable with the attention you WILL receive and are of course OF AGE!! ((I have 5 sisters and will be damned if any of the under 17 ones walk out in just a fur tube top and thong))

Oh well, end of my little .02, now to my peeve.

I jsut moved, so everything is packed up. T_T I have the urge to sew but have to get everything settled first and I really don't know where I am going to be able to set my work station up. T_T

~Kat

Current Con(s) for 2013:
  • Animate Miami
  • Megacon
  • Florida Supercon
  • MetroCon
  • Dragon*Con
  • Chibi-Pa

*Kai* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2007, 02:10 PM   #5244
zipperhead535
The Norwegian Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
I am guilty of saying that - and in my opinion I liked their version better and his acting. Personally I really don't like Johnny Depp as a person or an actor so him doing one of my favorite characters just doesn't really make me like him any better. I told Sithcomaro that I thought he was better then the real Johnny because he's got tons of videos on youtube of his Sparrow cosplay that I find hysterical. While I just find Johnny Depp annoying.

zipperhead535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2007, 03:13 PM   #5245
Danzikumaru
Walk me to the Graveyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperhead535 View Post
I am guilty of saying that - and in my opinion I liked their version better and his acting. Personally I really don't like Johnny Depp as a person or an actor so him doing one of my favorite characters just doesn't really make me like him any better. I told Sithcomaro that I thought he was better then the real Johnny because he's got tons of videos on youtube of his Sparrow cosplay that I find hysterical. While I just find Johnny Depp annoying.
The logic of this baffles me. Jack Sparrow didn't exist before Johnny Depp put on his outfit and started acting like Keith Richards. How can you like someone's portrayal better than the person whom practically invented the character? He's just ACTING like Johnny Depp's interpretation, it's the same thing...

Danzikumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2007, 03:23 PM   #5246
HanakoWings
Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzikumaru View Post
The logic of this baffles me. Jack Sparrow didn't exist before Johnny Depp put on his outfit and started acting like Keith Richards. How can you like someone's portrayal better than the person whom practically invented the character? He's just ACTING like Johnny Depp's interpretation, it's the same thing...

It happens. Try not to think to hard about it or your brain might explode. If you had any idea how many of those weird little "WTF" explanations I have going on for me this little logic baffler would be nothing.
HanakoWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2007, 03:45 PM   #5247
zipperhead535
The Norwegian Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzikumaru View Post

There is a method to my madness. I don't like Johnny Depp, never have, never will. I don't like how Johnny acted as Jack - it was annoying. But SC added his own interpretation to the Jack Sparrow character. I liked that. That's that. If you do not understand it, I cannot help you any further.

zipperhead535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2007, 03:48 PM   #5248
Runi-Chan
*pondering*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megzy-chan View Post
I think I'd be just as annoyed, too, though. xD Why not try and convince her to do a different costume if you really don't want you two being the same thing?
^.^ Because for her, she's only just thinking about doing it. She's already said she'd rather do something more stylized than the character first...though I'd love to see her cosplay this character's mother; she'd be absolutely gorgeous as that character's mother.

Besides, it's not like I was going around going, "I'm going to do x variant of Y character at Z con", so she really wouldn't have known otherwise.
Runi-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2007, 04:02 PM   #5249
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator

Quote:
There is a method to my madness. I don't like Johnny Depp, never have, never will. I don't like how Johnny acted as Jack - it was annoying. But SC added his own interpretation to the Jack Sparrow character. I liked that. That's that. If you do not understand it, I cannot help you any further.
Quote:
...How can Jack Sparrow be one of your favourite characters when you hate the way he was canonically portrayed? How can you like someone's imitation of a character but not the real thing, and still claim that he's your favourite character? Surely you must like Jack Sparrow when Johnny plays him, because otherwise he wouldn't BE one of your favourite characters.

There is no method to your madness. :/ I honestly think it's insulting to Johnny Depp to say that you'd prefer an imitation over the man who created the character. If it weren't for him, Jack Sparrow wouldn't be nearly as popular as he is now.

Did I mention that Johnny got an Oscar nomination for Best Actor for Jack Sparrow? BEST ACTOR? Jesus, give him some credit.
Angathol is evolving!
Unread 08-20-2007, 04:24 PM   #5250
Danzikumaru
Walk me to the Graveyard

Quote:
I don't see his own interpretation. I see him dressed as the character as Johnny portrayed him, and I see him sauntering about and slurring like Keith Richards. Jack's unique fashion sense and manner of speech were not created by the screenwriter or the director, as with many movie characters. The things that made Jack unique were created by Johnny Depp. That is why he got the oscar nom in the first place.

Danzikumaru is offline   Reply With Quote