Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 99 votes, 4.62 average.
Unread 08-21-2007, 12:54 PM   #5266
caisse
the sugoi princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurouni_Ina_Box View Post
^.^ Because for her, she's only just thinking about doing it. She's already said she'd rather do something more stylized than the character first...though I'd love to see her cosplay this character's mother; she'd be absolutely gorgeous as that character's mother.

Besides, it's not like I was going around going, "I'm going to do x variant of Y character at Z con", so she really wouldn't have known otherwise.
Yeah, very true. Haha. You two would look good as mom and child, I'm sure! :3

katsucon 2012
friday;; feferi peixes [homestuck] | ramona flowers [scott pilgrim]
saturday;; stocking anarchy [pswg] | catherine [catherine]
sunday meenah peixes [homestuck]

caisse is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-21-2007, 01:54 PM   #5267
Lucifer

My personal pet peeve regarding cosplay: Being talked down to in regards to your own costumes, usually by people who can't sew a straight line.

I had a 'friend' once tell me a costume I wanted to do was 'simple and basic', to which I had to ask if we were looking at the same costume at all. I even had an confrontation with a cardboard gundam's friends who felt a need to verbally insult all seamstresses in a costume contest line, and state that no 'girl' could ever do what their friend did (make a gundam out of cardboard).

I don't bite. Ok, that's a lie. I totally bite.
Lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 03:38 PM   #5268
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer View Post
I even had an confrontation with a cardboard gundam's friends who felt a need to verbally insult all seamstresses in a costume contest line, and state that no 'girl' could ever do what their friend did (make a gundam out of cardboard).
Wtf. Either they were doing it for the lulz or just being ignorant /m/orons.

Only Featherweight can make cardboard Gundams look good. :/
Angathol is evolving!
Congratulations! Your Angathol evolved into Independent Badass!
Future Costumes: Deedlit : Record of Lodoss War | Saber : Fate/Stay Night | Aya Shameimaru : Touhou Project | Nozomu Itoshiki : Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Angathol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 04:58 PM   #5269
LizardMandy

Quote:
I even had an confrontation with a cardboard gundam's friends who felt a need to verbally insult all seamstresses in a costume contest line, and state that no 'girl' could ever do what their friend did (make a gundam out of cardboard).
What...the HELL? None of them are up on my photo gallery yet (gotta debut them first) but I'd have to say that I've done some pretty damn good-looking props and armored costumes, all by myself, and I'm a girl.

GRR! Sorry, I'm not technically a raging feminist but...well I'm an IT major, I deal with a male-dominated environment every day at school and spend most of my time proving I can measure up to them...guess that touched a nerve. ><;;

So my peeve? I'd say sexism at cons...most obviously the need for people to hit on me regardless of what costume I'm wearing. Covered neck to toe in a crossplay that admittedly doesn't make me look masculine, but does minimize any curves or indication that I'm female, and still I have guys throwing lines at me. *sighs*

I never have to deal with that sort of attention in my everyday life, why is it the boys at conventions feel the need to try out their bad pickup lines on me at conventions?
LizardMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 06:05 PM   #5270
zipperhead535
The Norwegian Cosplayer

PEEVE - Men who think they can stalk you or do whatever they want to you because you are dressed as their favorite character.

I tell you men, This Aeris is going to be carrying a TASER and MACE! I've been groped, tackled, had my braid ripped out, pulled around, tickled, cornered, and stalked while i was cosplaying as Aeris!

I hate how men's manners dissapear when they step through the con doors. I don't like it - it feels like they target me because my speaking english sucks XD

zipperhead535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 06:51 PM   #5271
makotohanabi
Chuu?

zipperhead535: if anyone does that to you, tell the first staffer/hotel employee you see and have that jerk ejected from the con. Tasers and/or mace are probably against the con rules and would only get you in trouble.

current peeve is humidity. Have props that are still drying after 2+ hours. Then I have to wait 2-3 hours after it's dried to put on the sealer.
Unread 08-21-2007, 06:52 PM   #5272
zipperhead535
The Norwegian Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by makotohanabi View Post
zipperhead535: if anyone does that to you, tell the first staffer/hotel employee you see and have that jerk ejected from the con. Tasers and/or mace are probably against the con rules and would only get you in trouble.

current peeve is humidity. Have props that are still drying after 2+ hours. Then I have to wait 2-3 hours after it's dried to put on the sealer.
But the thing is those suckers run away after they do it - and then I cannot find them again. :/

zipperhead535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 07:22 PM   #5273
Fire Lily
Jack of Most Trades

Quote:
I had a 'friend' once tell me a costume I wanted to do was 'simple and basic', to which I had to ask if we were looking at the same costume at all. I even had a confrontation with a cardboard gundam's friends who felt a need to verbally insult all seamstresses in a costume contest line, and state that no 'girl' could ever do what their friend did (make a gundam out of cardboard).
And you smacked both of them upside the head, right? People who insult people out of ignorance is one thing, but insulting someone based on sexism or elitism is just wrong. But then again, those people shouldn't even merit your attention...they're just envious or oblivious.

www.firelilycosplay.com
Fire Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 08:07 PM   #5274
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

Ugh. I HATE when the mediocre cardboard Gundam cosplayers insult well-sewn, embroidered, painted or otherwise not armor costumes. Being able to make a cardboard Gundam does not make you better than someone who is able to make a fully-lined, fully hemmed and finished Rose of Versailles gown.

People like that really irk me. On the other hand, being able to make said RoV gown does not make you better or worse than a well-made Gundam.

Different people have different strengths. One may be able to pull off a Gundam but can't sew to save their life, and the one who can sew like the most professional seamstress may not be able to style a wig better than a blind three-year-old. I've seen it. Not being able to do one thing isn't going to make you better or worse than any other cosplayer. We all have our weaknesses.
Envel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 05:37 AM   #5275
Moon_Fish

The pachaging some of these really expensive rinestones come in is crazy. I just spilled half the box after hacking away at the plastic cover. All this just to make sure noone steals little pieces of glass. -__-;
Shampoo ~ Ranma 1/2
Giroro pj's ~ SGT Frog
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2011
Seishun Con 2011?
Dragon Con 2011
AWA XVII
Moon_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 08:03 AM   #5276
Lucifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Lily View Post
And you smacked both of them upside the head, right? People who insult people out of ignorance is one thing, but insulting someone based on sexism or elitism is just wrong. But then again, those people shouldn't even merit your attention...they're just envious or oblivious.
Yeah, unfortunately one can't change another's tune, even if reality shows otherwise. The Gundam (and his friends) even stated during a previous con that they lost because the judges were girls (myself being one of those judges), so I had a joyous time in line with them on that second go round (ironically, myself taking home BOS in -that- contest).

I just think people should show more respect to all forms of sewing. From a Trinity Blood costume with insane detailing, to someone who makes a costume that most would have just bought instead (i.e. suits, jackets, etc).

I don't bite. Ok, that's a lie. I totally bite.
Lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 08:42 AM   #5277
Tikki
AMA Cosplay Dept. Head

Quote:
My personal pet peeve regarding cosplay: Being talked down to in regards to your own costumes, usually by people who can't sew a straight line.

I had a 'friend' once tell me a costume I wanted to do was 'simple and basic', to which I had to ask if we were looking at the same costume at all. I even had an confrontation with a cardboard gundam's friends who felt a need to verbally insult all seamstresses in a costume contest line, and state that no 'girl' could ever do what their friend did (make a gundam out of cardboard).
I find the cardboard gundam comment really funny. I'm a girl, and I've made four mecha costumes (one with my bf) and I didn't need to touch cardboard to do any of them... One even had working breast missiles...
Not to mention one of the coolest Transformers costumes I've ever seen on line was made by some female cosplayer out in Texas a few years ago. Starscream never looked so awesome! You couldn't tell the gender at all!
And a husband/wife pair I know made a sweet looking GaoGaiGar costume that totally rocked! And that's one huge giant robot...
So any time someone makes comments like that, I can point and laugh at their ignorance. There's plenty of female mech costumers out there and having just as much fun with it.
Tikki
Street Fighter Revival Part Deux @ Otakon '07: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu6cdoHDShQ
Street Fighter Revival Part Troix @ Otakon '10: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_DG8q0KT3g
Tikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 08:49 AM   #5278
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

Quote:
Yeah, unfortunately one can't change another's tune, even if reality shows otherwise. The Gundam (and his friends) even stated during a previous con that they lost because the judges were girls (myself being one of those judges), so I had a joyous time in line with them on that second go round (ironically, myself taking home BOS in -that- contest).

I just think people should show more respect to all forms of sewing. From a Trinity Blood costume with insane detailing, to someone who makes a costume that most would have just bought instead (i.e. suits, jackets, etc).

Well, rest well knowing those butt heads probably won't ever end up with a good, worthwhile girlfriend. At least I don't know any self-respecting girl who'd put up with a douche like that. *Shakes head.*

The only time I have anything against judges is when the judges have no idea how to sew, or do cosplay in the least. You don't have to be a chef to know what tastes like shit, but when it comes to cosplay, there are just certain things you CANNOT respect how hard they were unless you're a cosplayer who's been around the block a few times yourself. Whereas a seasoned batch of judges may say "Wow, I can't believe how well you fitted that!" or "I can't believe you even fully lined it!", the less-experienced judges are giving me things like, "Oh, wow, you look exactly like the picture!" "You even pose like the picture!" Excuse me? I thought that the CRAFTSMANSHIP judging had to do with my CRAFTSMANSHIP, not how much I pose like the picture. The experienced judges are asking how I'm figuring out patterns, how I'm keeping odd or "floating" pieces stable or balanced. The less experienced ones are asking me questions like, "Why did you pick that character?" Why does it matter why I picked this character? Are you going to give someone who says, "I love this design and character" more points than someone who, says, say "Oh, I really just wanted something to make and happened to stumble across this picture..."

Needless to say, the inexperienced judges gave away at least one award to a costume that the cosplayer did NOT even make themself! This is why you're supposed to ask HOW it was made, not WHY the cosplayer wanted to make it.

So, in short, my peeve is inexperienced judges. I can understand that cons may be hard-up to get someone to give up their entire Saturday (And in some cases, Friday and Saturday) to judge the cosplay competition, but when awards start getting handed out to things that were made by someone else or even *gasp* store bought, that's just ridiculous.
Envel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 09:32 AM   #5279
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikki View Post
One even had working breast missiles...
I am intrigued. Please elaborate on this. XD
Angathol is evolving!
Congratulations! Your Angathol evolved into Independent Badass!
Future Costumes: Deedlit : Record of Lodoss War | Saber : Fate/Stay Night | Aya Shameimaru : Touhou Project | Nozomu Itoshiki : Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Angathol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 09:42 AM   #5280
sam vimes
A real live wire

Yet another pet peeve of mine is seeing people running all about the place at a con. I don't mean those that run because they're late for a panel or the like (although you should make an effort to be punctual and avoid having to do this), I mean those who are "having fun" by sprinting full speed through crowds like a gaggle of jackasses. Has anyone else noticed this phenomena?

Please keep in mind that it is never a good idea to try to run through a crowd, especially when so many people are carrying easily broken/bulky props. Have a little common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote