Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 09-30-2007, 07:36 PM   #1
almyki

Fan Plus Friend

EDIT: Eeeehhh?? For some reason, when I wrote 'Fan Plus Friend', it changed into 'LUMBERJACKED!', what in the world?! I don't know what's up with that, but I at least changed it back in this post (but the title still seems weird). Anybody know what's up with that?

I've read lots of off-hand comments in numerous threads that Fan Plus Friend is a pretty good store to buy from, but since my parents really don't trust the internet very much, I was hoping that I could scrap up some more in-depth info/reviews for the shop before I bothered my parents to let me buy from there (yeah, can't even use my own money for stuff if they don't like/trust it :sigh: ). So, let the questioning begin!:

How is the service, in general? How long does it typically take to get your package (I live in US)? Problems with shipping/receiving items? No mistakes?

How is the quality? How about as compared to typical brand-name?

Are the sizes and custom-fits accurate/do they fit you? How often do they have sizing problems in orders (from what you've heard/personal experience)?

If I'm afraid of sizing problems, is there anything I could do that might help? Would buying items that are slightly/a size bigger than my body size possibly help (too big seems better than too small), or would it just not look good if the items aren't form-fitting enough?

I heard that the petticoats are questionable, at least in terms of comfort. I was considering buying at In the Starlight instead, whose petticoats I've heard good things about. Should I?

I'm mostly afraid of wrong sizing, because there's nothing that can predict that %100, and I'd still have to pay for the shipping/handling back if I wanted it fixed (which I think is totally bogus if it's 'their bad', but I think that may be typical of online clothing stores, so I guess I can't get too irate >.o ) .

Anything else concerning their clothes, how you liked it or their fashions or anything like that, are totally welcome too!! Thank you for the people who answer this,

<3 ali

Last edited by almyki : 09-30-2007 at 07:40 PM. Reason: The word 'LUMBERJACKED!' changed into 'LUMBERJACKED!', I changed it back.
almyki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-01-2007, 06:45 AM   #2
Kiko
Btssb addict

It is a hit or miss with fan plus friend.

Last edited by Kiko : 10-01-2007 at 11:42 AM.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2007, 04:16 PM   #3
almyki

So I've heard. Thank you. But do you know (or think) exactly (or generally) how many times they 'hit' as compared to 'miss'?

Also! One other question: Does anyone know if I can request them to change little stuff, such as switching the color of accenting ribbons from pink to black, or the lace on a skirt of theirs from black to white, etc.? Does it cost extra for little stuff like that?

<3 ali
almyki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #4
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Put it this way... the reason they come up as LUMBERJACKED! is because a few years ago, there were so many complaints and negative posts about them. It's up to you whether you want to take the chance; some people are quite happy with what they get and some are very unhappy.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2007, 05:58 PM   #5
Kamifan
cosplayer in training

I purchased a lovely skirt from there. It is black with a bustle in back. The fabric is easily washable and is durable ( poly cotton blend).

As for changing small details, just let them know what you want changed. I don't think is costs more but it depends on the fabric they use instead. I have seen it done before but you should e-mail them just in case.
Kamifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2007, 10:16 PM   #6
I.N.K.
Lo hicimos, We did it!!

I: I've never bought from them, but I thought I could help with your size issue. If you're really paranoid about the size, you should get a larger size in general, that way if it doesn't fit perfectly it'll be too big and you can just take it in where it's needed. It's always easier to take in than let out.

Next Convention:
Anime Mid Atlantic '10
Nekocon '10

Side Costumes:
Ouka Saki Some ni Keri
-Asagi
-Tsunehito
-HIDE-ZOU
I.N.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2007, 01:11 AM   #7
Zennousha

Shipping is cheap and swift, so there's no downside there. It takes a week to sew, which is pretty standard. Prices are quite good, considering. However, make sure you take extra care into the measurements. Also, despite what most sites say, get a bit of breathing room in your measurements beforehand. My top came out perfectly sized, but the groin region of a pair of pants were far too tight.
Zennousha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2007, 09:35 PM   #8
panda0920

Well I was thinking about buying this dress to wear on a Sunday to a convention. It's an EGL dress party sort of thing, but I was wondering can this place be trusted when you buy from them. This is the page to the dress I want to buy:

Also I want it in the dark blue color:
http://www.fan-store.net/servlet/the...%2C/Detail
panda0920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2007, 06:26 AM   #9
Petiteprincess1
More Frills then a Couch

I recently purchased something from there for my little sister's birthday. She is just getting in to Lolita so I did not want buy her brand. Well this was my first purchase from an off brand store, the fabric was nice but the lace was rather gross.
Petiteprincess1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2007, 06:27 AM   #10
Petiteprincess1
More Frills then a Couch

Oh also the sizing was a bit off from the mesurements I sent it was a little to big.
Petiteprincess1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2007, 07:28 AM   #11
vroomboom
Pocky Leech

I've ordered from them several times. Overall i think their service is really good! Shipping is swift, sewing time is about 1 week (standard), and the materials are decent (not see-through). The only thing i really dislike about their work is the lace they use.. But nice lace is quite expensive.

One thing to be aware of when you order is their standard height!! They make all their clothes to a standard height of 5'5 or soemthing close. So if you're shorter (like me), make sure to let them know! I didn't know this the first time i ordered.. and my coat arrived much too long for me.

I hope this helps a bit!
vroomboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2007, 09:13 AM   #12
Donfoxy
Is restarting her gallery

I just made my first F+F order. To be honest I like the dress ^_^ but I felt the information they put on the site could be alittle more detailed. I ordered my dress in september and it came this monday >_>;;;; so the event I needed the dress for passed.

If you plan to order from them make sure you order within enough time before you need it.
The quality is good. Everything is handmade so I noticed a few of the stiches look like something my sewing machine would do which sucks TT^TT; And its long @__@;; it said: Standard lenght: Knee lenght so I figured it would touch my knees and sorta goes past it..hopefully a petticoat would help that out?

Still debating if I will order from them again. I might just take my chances and make the rest of my dresses.

Also some of the lace is creme O_o; I ordered pink with white lace and some of the lace above the white is creme O_O didn't know that.

Last edited by Donfoxy : 10-17-2007 at 09:17 AM.
Donfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2007, 11:39 AM   #13
Petiteprincess1
More Frills then a Couch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donfoxy View Post
I just made my first F+F order. To be honest I like the dress ^_^ but I felt the information they put on the site could be alittle more detailed. I ordered my dress in september and it came this monday >_>;;;; so the event I needed the dress for passed.

If you plan to order from them make sure you order within enough time before you need it.
The quality is good. Everything is handmade so I noticed a few of the stiches look like something my sewing machine would do which sucks TT^TT; And its long @__@;; it said: Standard lenght: Knee lenght so I figured it would touch my knees and sorta goes past it..hopefully a petticoat would help that out?

Still debating if I will order from them again. I might just take my chances and make the rest of my dresses.

Also some of the lace is creme O_o; I ordered pink with white lace and some of the lace above the white is creme O_O didn't know that.
They make all their clothes to a standard height of 5'5. So thats maybe why it was big on you.
Unread 10-17-2007, 05:39 PM   #14
Donfoxy
Is restarting her gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petiteprincess1 View Post
They make all their clothes to a standard height of 5'5. So thats maybe why it was big on you.
Ah I wish they would have mentioned that >_>;;;;
Donfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2007, 07:47 AM   #15
kotsuki
Kotchi :COUGH:

It does mention it on their 'View measurement help' page but I realize that this link is not present on the pages for all their items for some reason >_>

http://store01.prostores.com/fanplus...andardsize.htm