Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1229 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-17-2007, 01:35 PM   #376
fatalinjection
that's what she said

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCosplayAnge View Post
The problem Tifa, is fatalinjection getting involved with something that she should not have been involved with from the start.

And if you really want to get technical, in this case its both parties fault and not just the commissioner. She hasn't been the easiest person to deal with, taking up a personal vendetta the way she has.

Please just let this end now. I was the one that contacted the admins to have this stopped, and that's why Heki commented here.
One of your customers IMed/PMed me because I had a similar experience to theirs. I have the right to, hmm, reply to people who contact me. I know you've had a problem doing that, but that doesn't mean that everyone is the same way. 9_9

Personal vendetta? Of course if I got screwed over by a commissioner, I'm going to warn others about the experience I had so no one else has to go through the same thing. That's common courtesy, and doing other cosplayers a favor. If that's a 'personal vendetta', then whatever.

If you want it to end, stop commenting. It's over, Heki said to stop, so just stop. :\
Matsumoto (shinigami & school uniform); Bleach
Reira ; NANA
Risa ; Lovely*Complex
fatalinjection is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-17-2007, 02:53 PM   #377
PepeluTivursky
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCosplayAnge View Post
The problem Tifa, is fatalinjection getting involved with something that she should not have been involved with from the start.

And if you really want to get technical, in this case its both parties fault and not just the commissioner. She hasn't been the easiest person to deal with, taking up a personal vendetta the way she has.

Please just let this end now. I was the one that contacted the admins to have this stopped, and that's why Heki commented here.
Then let it end, for goodness sake. There's something to be said about being the 'bigger person' in a situation.
Not that I think fatalinjection did anything wrong. But if she's such a hard person to deal with, now that your transaction is over with her, don't deal with her anymore. Don't reply to her messages, etc. etc.
Bickering with her in a public forum, threatening her with legal action and such is doing more damage to YOU than to HER. Let her talk as she likes, if you're a good commissioner and can prove it to those that commission from you, soon the good voices will outweigh the bad.
Unread 09-17-2007, 05:11 PM   #378
Chibi Chobi

Name of Commissioner: BlueCosplayAngel

Website/C.com gallery: http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.ph...00&member=7936

Character commissioned and series: Eriol Hiiragizawa - Cardcaptor Sakura - Full costume:: Cape, Jacket, Hat, Obi, Pants and Undershirt

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: Theres not that many yet, will upload more when I find them http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.ph...36&member=8841

Timeline (how long your order took to process): Took about 3 months due to the hand painting and appliqué work.

Pros: Everything was included and did fit. Everything was fully lined. Jacket has a hidden zipper. Pants are elastic waist, fit properly. Even added extra details of painting and quilting the Clow symbol onto the back of the jacket - which is never seen unless I take the cape off.

Cons: Little bit quiet with communication, however I do know that commissioners are generally busy and are not online all the time to answer questions. Hat is slightly too big around the head, but that's my fault for mismeasuring.

Comments: Very quiet person, works very hard to make everyone happy. Workmanship is very good quality. Will do business with again. She also does general upkeep of the costume for me on a regular basis. ((Note she only does this for costumes that are kept well, and haven't been destroyed while wearing. General wear and tear upkeep))

Final Grade: B+

We're all going to hell in a fruits basket...
Chibi Chobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 05:49 PM   #379
Frostmourne
Sherry Wrong

Name of Commissioner: QQCosplay

Website/C.com gallery: http://www.qqcosplay.com/FFX/ffxynasum.html

Character commissioned and series: Summoner Yuna FFX

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: None yet but I will upload some soon!

Timeline (how long your order took to process): Took about 3 weeks-1 month

Pros: Everything fit well. Excellent communication - they responded within 1 day or so with answers to any questions I had. Very enjoyable to work with and I would purchase from them again. Excellent craftsmanship and fabrics.

Cons: The skirt/obi was a wee bit big but that's something I can fix.

Comments: Very happy...this will be worn to Chibi-pa.

Final Grade : B+
Sunday : ?

Planned 2011 : Aisha Klan Klan (Outlaw Star), Ai Chan (Yatterman), Dio Brando (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
Frostmourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2007, 11:49 AM   #380
4ng31
meh.

Name of Commissioner : Miyori

Website/C.com gallery : http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?member=21835

Character commissioned and series/video game : Bridget - Guilty Gear (blue and white dress, habit, gloves, and shoes)

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item : http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.ph...2&member=61208

Timeline (how long your order took to process) : Paid February 15th, received it July 19th (5 months)

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments : While the sewing on the dress was incredible, parts of sewing on the habit could have been better. For instance, the elastic band holding the back of the habit together basically fell out after wearing it once, and I'll have to sew it back together. Also, the habit was missing the bigger cross in the middle center of it, which I had to add myself. I liked the way she did do the smaller crosses though as it gave it a beveled 3-D look. The gloves could have been a better material, preferably leather/pleather rather than the wool gloves that you can get at Walmart for a buck. And while the shoes looked good, they needed some more work to be finished, as the base boot sat too high (over the foam cover) so I had to take the boot out and cut off the top of it and re-wrap it in blue foam to match the exterior.

Final Grade : B
Unread 09-20-2007, 09:18 AM   #381
Frostmourne
Sherry Wrong

Name of Commissioner: Ajie Nugroho / Cosplay1

Website/C.com gallery: www.cosplay1.com

Character commissioned and series: Melfina - Outlaw Star

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: http://www.cosplay1.com/gallery.php?category=cosplay (In the Art of Cosplay section)
I'll upload some pictures of my own once I have batteries for my digital camera.

Timeline (how long your order took to process): About 1 month

Pros: Excellent work! Very easy to talk to/fast communication in emails. Fabric is very comfortable and the entire costume is very well made.
Extremely satisfied!

Cons: None

Final Grade : A+
Sunday : ?

Planned 2011 : Aisha Klan Klan (Outlaw Star), Ai Chan (Yatterman), Dio Brando (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
Frostmourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2007, 12:17 PM   #382
aoisakura
=^._.^=

Name of Commissioner: Kukkii-san
Website/C.com gallery: http://forums.cosplay.com/member/41723
Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.) Deidara from Naruto Wig only~~
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: Will put up soon~~
Timeline (how long your order took to process): About 2 months maybe?
Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments: Very professional, asked what my requirements were etc. Wig was shipped way before deadline and came safe. Wig was well styled. I am happy with her service!
Final Grade:A
Unread 09-30-2007, 08:22 PM   #383
fatalinjection
that's what she said

Name of Commissioner: Tenshinoitami1
Website/C.com gallery: Cos.com gallery
Character commissioned and series/video game: Risa, Lovely Complex (vest only)
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: Coming soon~
Timeline: A few weeks, at most.
Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments: I PMed her about doing a quick commission, and she took it up for me. She worked fast, kept me updated, and was overall very pleasant. Vest was delivered in-person when she took measurements for more commissions that she's doing for me. Great work on it, it looks very good! I would most definitely recommend her. ^^

Final Grade: A+
Reira ; NANA
Risa ; Lovely*Complex
Unread 10-01-2007, 02:05 PM   #384
allyunion

Limebarb

Name of Commissioner: Limebarb
Website/C.com gallery: Limebarb.com
Character commissioned and series: Naruto from Naruto
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=188883
http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/e...to_commission/
Timeline: August 3, 2003 to June 29, 2004
Pros: May have improved since my last commission, I don't really know for certain
Cons: At the time, she performed commissions on a "first needed" basis rather than a "first come" basis. Poor communication via email, not responsive. Cost for the above commission was around 350 dollars, but when requested to fix the costume, she got angry at me and refused to do so. Order was received late by 2 weeks. I ended wearing the costume for the next Anime Expo.
Comments:
Details regarding my email exchanges are in my LJ. The leg band did not hold well... it was fashioned from what seemed to be a hair band attached to a leather made pouch. The costume was too small, even though she had my correct measurements.
Final Grade: D-
Lewis Black: "There is no such thing as bad language. I don't believe that anymore. It's ridiculous. They call it a debasing of the language. No! We are adults. These are the words we use... to express: frustration, rage, and anger... in order that we don't pick up a tire and beat the s**t out of someone."

Japanese Animation and Cosplay Society
allyunion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2007, 12:48 PM   #385
Lumasnati
Wants a cookie..

Ani_BEE

Name of Commissioner: Ani_BEE

Website/C.com gallery: http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?member=38045
Character commissioned and series: Raitei no Kijin, Yami no Matsuei [Descendants of Darkness]

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item:
http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.ph...4&member=38045

Timeline: About.... 2 months? I put the request on the Spam board in Early August and she replied about a week later. The product was finished a couple of days ago and is in the process of being shipped.

Pros: Oh. My. God. Besides Nugrosjp [whom I have already commented on previously in this thread] this has got to be the GREATEST commissioner I have ever had the pleasure of doing business with. She was very polite and very kind. She stayed on top of PMs and continued to work with me through everything. She PMed me with updates every couple of weeks and showed me progress.... She did everything very professionally and worked very hard on everything.

Con: The only con, which is a small one, is the fact she doesn't have paypal so I had to resort to another form of payment. However... that does not take away from the overall greatness put forward.

Comments?:

I would HIGHLY suggest her for ANYTHING and I will be returning again for another commission in the foreseeable future! :3 Thank you so much, Ani_Bee !

Final Grade: A+ [If I could go higher I would!]

Next con Stop: Katsucon 2011~
World of Warcraft - Night Elf/Blood Elf Priest Tier 10

Lumasnati is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2007, 02:58 PM   #386
FaeandMerfolk
Costumed in Wyckedness

Just a thought here: When grading a commissioner and reviewing their work it is good to remember that while they have your measurements, they do not have you there for fine tuning and sizing details. It is not always the commissioners fault if it does not fit you great.

These are people who are working hard to give you what you ask for. Some are better than others at what they do, but it was your choice to work with them. If you really want something commissioned that works perfectly with you and is exactly what you want go with a local commissioner that you can work one on one with.

Even what you perceive as a bad commission might be wonderful compaired to others or in other people's oppinion. I think that when we get this deep into it you miss out on the whole point in cosplaying.

Why yes, I am the Supreme Ruler of All Awesomeness!

Oklahoma Cosplayers Forum Communicate with Oklahoma Cosplayers and learn about our monthly events.

Director of Special Events at Izumicon www.Izumicon.com
Member of the Always Dreaming Cosplay Association And FoxMoon Productions
www.Myspace.com/CostumedWyckedness
Costume List Found Here
FaeandMerfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2007, 04:29 PM   #387
fatalinjection
that's what she said

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaeandMerfolk View Post
These are people who are working hard to give you what you ask for. Some are better than others at what they do, but it was your choice to work with them. If you really want something commissioned that works perfectly with you and is exactly what you want go with a local commissioner that you can work one on one with.

Even what you perceive as a bad commission might be wonderful compaired to others or in other people's oppinion. I think that when we get this deep into it you miss out on the whole point in cosplaying.
Commissioning is a business. If you paid someone to paint your living room wall red, and they just threw blue paint all around, didn't do anything neatly, got it all over your carpet, etc, would you say, "These are people who are working hard to give you what you ask for. Some are better than others at what they do, but it was your choice to work with them."

Really, yes, it's our choice to work with them, but if we have an experience that we disliked, it's also our right to voice the fact that we were dissatisfied so that it can help other people make an informed decision about who THEY go to for their costumes.
Reira ; NANA
Risa ; Lovely*Complex
Unread 10-06-2007, 02:59 AM   #388
Saeru
What is life w/o meaning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalinjection View Post
Commissioning is a business. If you paid someone to paint your living room wall red, and they just threw blue paint all around, didn't do anything neatly, got it all over your carpet, etc, would you say, "These are people who are working hard to give you what you ask for. Some are better than others at what they do, but it was your choice to work with them."

Really, yes, it's our choice to work with them, but if we have an experience that we disliked, it's also our right to voice the fact that we were dissatisfied so that it can help other people make an informed decision about who THEY go to for their costumes.
This is so, but she reminds me of a point that has been distressing me, lately.

As I've been watching this thread, I've begun to worry about how VASTLY different the opinions on costumes can be. For example: A perfectly good commissioner might be given a bad rating by a tough critic, even if it is, in actuality, a high-quality piece. Wheras, in the opposing extreme, a mediocre commissioner might be given a stellar rating by a very generous critic for an average-quality piece. In both cases, a comissionee is giving a review that is accurate to THEIR beliefs, but would not be the general consensus should 100 other people commission that person. And, in either case, it could be detrimental towards a new business, should they receive a bad review, or detrimental towards a future customer, who sees a misrepresented good review.

I am going to suggest, if it's not too pretentious of me as neither a commissioner nor a commissionee, the beginnings of a concrete list of items to consider in one's review - to be as unbiased and factually-backed as possible, that I can only hope will be of help to someone.
Here are a few ideas (in addition to old ones), to get the ball rolling:

1. Timeline - I, personally, have spent months on perfecting costumes that needed research and development, so finding a commissioner who is FAST is not ALWAYS superior to finding a commissioner who might take longer. One should take into account the sewing time that is expected - but, in giving a review, the most important items to consider would involve the speed of communication responses, missed deadlines, or VAST misrepresentation of the time allotment needed.
2. Communication - Expanding upon the above, but perhaps the most important item to consider before the arrival of the actual costume. An exemplary commissioner will be considerate and friendly in their posts/e-mails, and respond at least within a few days time. Immediate responses, of course, aren't always possible...That being said, I would say that if they're keeping contact within a week of your e-mails, then they are remaining professional. Communication, of course, is also dependent upon what is agreed upon initially....especially if a commissionee expects progress pictures that the commissioner fails to deliver. If communication is not kept, then it is hard for EITHER party to be happy...the commissioner won't know what their client is expecting, and thus the client will end up with something they don't like. Therefore, in considering a communication review, make certain that you have also done your part...so you can faultlessly grade them on theirs.
3. Deadlines - Again, I'm expanding upon the timeline consideration. The responsibility of SETTING a deadline falls to the commissionee, the responsibility of KEEPING a deadline falls to the commissioner. If a deadline is promised, it should not be missed, unless agreed upon and resolved between the two parties beforehand. In this regard, communication is the key to success, as mentioned up above.
4. Accuracy - A double-edged sword, in that a commissioner can only be as accurate as the reference pictures provide, and thus relating back to communication (wow! I was right about it being important. o.o). If a commissionee has provided as many references as possible (and I, as a fellow cosplayer, can operate on no less than 5), then their review should reflect the parts on the costume they provided examples of. If a pictured item is missing, then...that's not accurate! But if one doesn't give the commissioner a reference of the back, and then complains that a design under the shoulder-blades was missing, they cannot possibly have reflected correctly on a commissioner's accuracy. It should never be expected that a commissioner would know your character, even if it seems obvious to you.
5. Materials - If communication is kept smooth, then material choices will have already been discussed. However, for many people considering the purchase of a costume, a knowledge of fabric types is understandably limited. This means that either the comissionee should research what materials they LIKE (by looking at the tags on one's favorite outfits, investigating craft stores, etc) or the comissionee should leave the fabric choices up to the commissioner. Keep in mind: IF YOU'RE LETTING THE COMMISSIONER DECIDE, YOU'RE LEAVING IT UP TO THEIR BEST JUDGMENT, and opinions between you and your commissioner may VASTLY differ. What might feel like a terrible fabric to you could be what another comissionee was delighted to receive. If you're in doubt about fabric choices, ask the person whom you commission what materials they will chose, and why they feel that is the best choice. If you don't know what you're getting, then you are taking a gamble with your costume (If you do not like what you receive and you didn't previously discuss material choices, this is NOT the commissioner's fault). Thus, be very careful in your grading on material usage.
(In my personal opinion, if it helps anyone, I will always pick natural fabrics over synthetic: Cotton over Polyester, silk over rayon, etc. These fabrics are more expensive, but their quality is worth the price.)
6. Fit - As was mentioned, creating a garment to fit a person that you have never seen is an extremely daunting task. Think of every time you go to a clothing store, and how your size can fluctuate from brand to brand. Think how long it takes to find an outfit that fits you the way you like, and then take into consideration that someone you have never met is trying to get it right on the first try. If possible, commission a costumer who lives relatively nearby, or whom you might see at an upcoming convention (to perhaps have an in-person fitting.) Also, the more measurements you can provide in your communication with the commissioner (in addition to the standard bust, waist & hips) the easier their job will be. Keep in mind, as well, that one should never take their own measurements, since one's movement in doing so will often be inaccurate. Even experienced commissioners aren't perfect with fit, however, because human beings and their body parts come in so very many sizes and shapes. I've even had costume pieces that depended upon the amount one could compress their wrist to fit a gauntlet, which is a hard thing to measure, indeed. In addition - one aspect of fit that is not very often taken into consideration is how the garment is INTENDED to be worn: If you're a female trying to dress like a male, a commissioner will sometimes lower a waistline on purpose to give the best impression for you. In such a case, a garment might SEEM to be fitted poorly, but was done so for your benefit. Make sure you talk to your commissioner about such things.
7. Price - This is a hard item to consider. One should take into account how many costumes a commissioner has created, what materials they are using, and what sort of track-record that they have. Higher charging commissioners do not always produce higher-quality costumes, however, and lower-charging commissioners aren't always 'cheap.' Until one has received their garment, it is very difficult to tell whether the price was worth it or not, but after it is in one's hands, one might consider the following: How -happy- are you with how it looks on your body? How does it feel when you wear it? How durable is it? How accurate was it? Was the commissioning experience worth it? Everything point mentioned above should factor into this grade, because if you've received something that delights you every time you think about it, and lasts for years to come, then any price you paid is a good one.
8. Pictures - A final note. If you're leaving a review, pictures speak louder than words. If you're promoting a commissioner who did an exceptional job, show how wonderful it was! If you're critiquing a costume that turned out poorly, document the details (the inside seams, the fraying edges, the missing clasps.) I've found it very difficult to see how accurate some reviews have been because of the lack of evidence, and, seeing as that a poor review could potentially devastate a business or create a backlash for youself, be sure that you can back your claims to prevent any embarrassment. It can sometimes be difficult to take pictures of an item (especially one that was received after a deadline, or the night before a convention), but it really does help any future customers decide where they'd like to go, so it's highly recommended.

I think that is about all for now. *dead tired* If anyone can think of anything else, I'd love to add it.
Saeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2007, 03:17 AM   #389
Zelos_Wilder
Time to lose some weight!

I would definitely prefer for people to wait until they have pictures to post a review. To tell the truth, it's what I enjoy the most about the reviews, is seeing how put-together the whole thing is.
Zelos_Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2007, 09:51 PM   #390
Robin Terrae
Quincy Archer

Name of Commissioner: Marika

Website/C.com gallery: http://forums.cosplay.com/member/32652

Character commissioned and series/video game:
Jacket – Fujimiya Aya (WK Glühen )

Jacket & Pants - TS! Naruto (Naruto)

Jacket, shirt, belt - Tsunade (Naruto)

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item
Aya: http://pics.livejournal.com/robinterrae/pic/00001twt

TJ! Naruto: http://pics.livejournal.com/robinterrae/pic/000es3fz

Tsunade: http://pics.livejournal.com/robinterrae/pic/000cebt0

Timeline (how long your order took to process)
A couple of months, but then again, I asked ahead of time so that there would be plenty of time for communications and because I didn't want to rush anyone. Costumes were received in time for the con they were intended for.

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments.
Excellent. Kept well informed during all stages of the process and was provided progress pictures as well. Price is within reasonable range (for the quality, I honestly thought it should have been more than what it was) and costume pieces have been worn out in the real world as well.

Final Grade: Definitely A+
Robin Terrae is offline   Reply With Quote