Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1192 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-08-2007, 06:20 PM   #391
lehulei
Flutterby

I agree almost entirely, Mag, except for:

Quote:
VAST misrepresentation of the time allotment needed
Some commissioners who do so part-time have other obligations (such as school, work, or both), whereas some commissioners who do so full time take on multiple commissions at one time.
lehulei is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-09-2007, 07:33 PM   #392
Saeru
What is life w/o meaning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehulei View Post
I agree almost entirely, Mag, except for:

Some commissioners who do so part-time have other obligations (such as school, work, or both), whereas some commissioners who do so full time take on multiple commissions at one time.
*nods* Thats a good point, and one that a number of people don't take into consideration. I think what I was meaning here was that...if a commissioner says they'll have it done in two months, and then...they don't have it done for five months....they've made a great error in estimating how much time it would take them.

Granted, time estimation is HARD. o.O I'm just now starting to understand how long it takes me to make something, and I've been sewing for a while. But I think most commissioners have a GENERAL idea how much time they'll need to get the task accomplished, and could make a reasonable guess to see if they can get it done or not. *nods*
Saeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 04:46 AM   #393
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

Saeru:
I like your suggestions^^ I totally wish people would try to be objective and neutral when giving a review, or at least provide the reader with all the information they need to form an opinion. And for everyone's sake, please don't use this thread to dispute unresolved issues (unless the item is waaaay overdue and the commissioner doesn't cooperate at all.)

Talking about the timeline: I think the only relevant factor should be the deadline you both agreed upon. If the commissioner doesn't have anything else to do right now or if they have a whole workshop in China so they can shell out costumes within a day's time, that's great for you.
But if they plan ahead and spread out work over months, or start working on your order a week prior to your deadline, that doesn't mean they're unprofessional as long as they are still able meet the deadline.
(Of course, not answering your anxious e-mails wouldn't make them look good, but keep in mind not every commissioner can send you progress pictures on a daily basis. Swift communication alone doesn't make a good artist.)

The commissioner should definitely be honest about how long it'll take them to make the item, and keep you updated if it turns out they underestimated the time and effort it takes or if unexpected events keep them from working on your order. IMO, making new promises that you can't keep on a weekly basis is worse than telling the customer you need to delay or cancel the order and ask them what they would like to do.

Last edited by Kukkii-san : 10-11-2007 at 04:53 AM.
Kukkii-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 08:16 AM   #394
spanner
ల_ల

Name of Commissioner: Tessie / Rui
Website/C.com gallery: http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?member=38620
Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.): Wonderweiss - Bleach - jacket
Noitora - Bleach - Jacket
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: x x x x (just have the ones she sent atm)
Timeline (how long your order took to process): Aug 28 - Sept 14 (the day I got them in house)
Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments: I really have absolutely no complaints. She was super nice throughout the whole process and both jackets are very well made. She even included two pairs of pants and Noitora's eye patch for no extra charge. I am very pleased and would definitely recommend using her.
Final Grade: A

----------
lj ; ms
----------
spanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 08:45 AM   #395
4ng31
meh.

You guys also have to remember that this thread is basically a suggestion thread, not a guideline on who you "should" commission. It's just a collection of past commission work based on personal thoughts and opinions, hence why all reviews should be taking with a grain of salt, as all experiences are different for all parties involved every time.
Unread 10-11-2007, 11:57 AM   #396
lehulei
Flutterby

Another thing someone could consider when looking at commissioners on C.com are:
Posts per day- Someone who is active is more likely to keep better contact with you via C.com (if thats the method you choose to be updated by instead of IM, e-mail, phone, etc.).
Total post count & Join Date- Someone with a higher post count & earlier join day is *hypothetically* less likely to leave you hanging and go start another account! If they haven't been around a long time, ask if they had another name. They might have just decided that they don't like the s/n anymore, and admin has always said "make a new account" in response to people's request for a name change.
Previous Posts- ('Find all posts by ______') Do your homework! Look at their previous posts. It'll give you a better idea of their temperament towards other people. If you don't like what you see, you're probably not going to like working with them either!

Other things to consider outside of Cosplay.com;
eBay Seller Feedback- What's their eBay rating like (if they have one)? It doesn't have to be 100%, you can't make everybody happy - but look at the customer's comments. Do they show the seller as friendly? Speedy? Efficient? or Do many of them show the seller as intolerant or someone who has poor communications with their customers? (If you go to 'Advanced Search' from the main page you can click on 'Find a Member.' Enter that person's e-mail address and it will pull up their user name for you.)
lehulei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2007, 10:32 PM   #397
Takai
Ruler of the Seam-Ripper

QQ Cosplay?

So I know every cosplayer would liketo always make their own costumes, but sometimes it's just impossible to schedule everything in andmake an outstanding costume. That's a long-winded explanation for what's going on with me right now.

Last time I ordered a costume I ended up getting terrible results. I ordered a Kadaj costume from corland_sj because I was suddenly invited to a con about a month before it was held. Let's be reasonable, no cosplayer who has only 3 costumes and a sewing class under her belt can even think about making a decent Final Fantasy costume in less than a month.

So I order, received the costume about a week before the convention and what do you know, they sent the wrong one! Not only that, it doesn't look a thing like the one I wanted! Hurrah, to bad I wanted to be Kadaj not Yazoo (Yeah, I know they look very, very similar, but the costume didn't even look like Yazoo's coat! I felt more like Sephiroth with that thing on!)

I asked for an exchange, was not replied to, left negative feedback and Corland flipped out at me. I attempted to arrange an exchange, and he complied for the removal of the negative feedback, but never sent me the correct costume. I haven't heard from him since.

Luckily my sewing skills aren't terrible and I managed to salvage the costume.

Of course now I really don't want to order from another small company and get ripped off like this. I've been looking at a shop called "QQ Cosplay" but I've yet to find any reviews on it. has anyone orderd from here and gotten good results, or am I going to have to gamble with my money and time again?

The bold stuff is the only stuff that's needed xD
Takai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2007, 11:44 PM   #398
Honey Usagi-chi

You should search for the Commissioner review thread & Comissioners not to go to thread ^_^
Honey Usagi-chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 12:03 AM   #399
KwEeNofKoRn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takai View Post
So I know every cosplayer would liketo always make their own costumes, but sometimes it's just impossible to schedule everything in andmake an outstanding costume. That's a long-winded explanation for what's going on with me right now.

Last time I ordered a costume I ended up getting terrible results. I ordered a Kadaj costume from corland_sj because I was suddenly invited to a con about a month before it was held. Let's be reasonable, no cosplayer who has only 3 costumes and a sewing class under her belt can even think about making a decent Final Fantasy costume in less than a month.

So I order, received the costume about a week before the convention and what do you know, they sent the wrong one! Not only that, it doesn't look a thing like the one I wanted! Hurrah, to bad I wanted to be Kadaj not Yazoo (Yeah, I know they look very, very similar, but the costume didn't even look like Yazoo's coat! I felt more like Sephiroth with that thing on!)

I asked for an exchange, was not replied to, left negative feedback and Corland flipped out at me. I attempted to arrange an exchange, and he complied for the removal of the negative feedback, but never sent me the correct costume. I haven't heard from him since.

Luckily my sewing skills aren't terrible and I managed to salvage the costume.

Of course now I really don't want to order from another small company and get ripped off like this. I've been looking at a shop called "QQ Cosplay" but I've yet to find any reviews on it. has anyone orderd from here and gotten good results, or am I going to have to gamble with my money and time again?

The bold stuff is the only stuff that's needed xD
Getting a cosplay made can sometimes be even more of a hassle than making it yourself. You have to juggle between which place you want to make it, pay the money up front, wait a couple weeks for them to make it, worry if they are making it right and if its going to look good and fit and then finally receive it.

You are not the only one who has had outfits made, you payed and when you received it...it was nothing what you were expecting. They didnt use your exact measurements, it doesnt fit or it looks nothing like what you wanted. Its a horrible thing to go through as a cosplayer.

About a year ago i contacted this cosplay commission place and gave them my commission. It was the green suit that Integra Hellsing [from Hellsing] wore in the TV series. I gave them my EXACT measurements and told them how i would like it to fit. I payed them over 200$ up front. A few weeks later i finally got it and i thought i was going to cry. Not only did it look VERY cheap and crappy but when i tried the suit top on, it was probably 3 or 4 sizes too big!!! It was even too big for my mom! So i tried the pants on and they were just as bad. I couldnt even get them past my thighs! But i struggled with them enough that i was able to and when i did, i was stepping on the bottoms! They werent only too small but WAY too long! I was so upset and pissed so i contacted them and they said they couldnt give me a refund because it was a custom made outfit. I was so upset over that i was scared to ever give a commission again!

But i did with totally different people, and thankfully my military outfit for Integra turned out amazing. Thank jesus. I wanted them to make another costume for me but they are booked solid for months...

Now...about qq cosplay...i am worried to hell about them. I gave them a commission for Integra's black suit and of course i gave my EXACT measurements and told them how i wanted it to fit. After a week or so they finally contacted me and told me they could make it for 120$. Which sounded a little on the cheap side...that was my first worry. But i went with it and payed everything up front. They said they would start working on my suit in a week or so and they would most likely have it finished by the 18th of October.

In a week i contacted them asking if they started on it and they said they were going to next week. That became my second worry. I contacted them the next week and they said they started. 2 weeks later i ask them how my suit is coming along and if they were having any issues at all with my measurements. They said that there were no problems so far and they were trying their best to make it perfect. Now...that sounds a little fishy to me, it seems like they might actually be having an issue...so thus, my third worry. A few days ago i contacted them asking how it was coming along again, they said they were 75% done and they would send me a picture when they were finished. That was nice of them but i asked if they were going to have it done on the date they said they would. They said no and that it would take about another week. So that is my fourth worry.

I am so scared they are going to f*ck up this commission...something is just telling me they are. And i dont have time to look for a new outfit! By the time i get it, i only have 2 weeks untill the con im going to! So it BETTER be right.

I dont really know what to tell you about them though. If you look at all the costumes on their site they look VERY good but if you want a commission i would be VERY cautious about it. As you can see from my experience, everything is a little fishy and they did not meet the deadline they said they would. They are taking another week. When i get my costume, that will tell if all this worrying meant something or was pointless. If you do not need your costume soon then maybe wait for a week and when i get mine i will contact you about how it looks, fits and etc.

Hope that helped you out!
Unread 10-18-2007, 12:24 AM   #400
benihime
Kimono Queen

well sounds like (above) maybe they're not the best for comissions, but ive bought two costumes from them and i haven't had any problem, of course i used the sizes they already had

WORKING ON
Haruka (idolm@ster 2)

NEXT CONVENTIONS
A-kon in Dallas, TX

WEBSITE
DEVIANTART FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

benihime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 12:37 AM   #401
Pulsatrix

Well, to judge their quality all you really have to do is look at their costumes and the ones submitted by customers. Personally, I wouldn't order from them for certain costumes.

Finding a reliable costumer is very hard, so you should look into finding time to make your own costumes.

If you absolutely need to commission someone, try going through your social network of "con" friends to see if they know anyone that can make costumes for you. Make sure you can trust them, but don't use your friend as a middle-man in case something goes wrong. After all, you wouldn't want to ruin a good friendship over dress up.

Just as risky as finding a commissioner, you can buy a costume from eBay sellers. Most are from China and mass-produce costumes for popular series. The only problem is that some charge over $90 for shipping. The sizes aren't even custom fit and usually follow regular clothing standards such as small, medium, large, extra-large and above. If there is a problem(and there usually is about 33% of the time), the seller will probably(most definitely, but not always) fix it for you for free. It's usually accessories, but you might ask around for people that have purchased whole costume pieces.

Last edited by Pulsatrix : 10-18-2007 at 12:39 AM.
Pulsatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 12:37 AM   #402
jester44

It does sound like you're safer buying one of their pre-made costumes than getting something commissioned. Personally, I ordered an FMA Hughes costume from them last year. It came fairly quickly (maybe 2 or 3 weeks? Not sure since I wasn't in any hurry, ordered it way in advance). Overall it was very good quality. I gave custom measurements, and for the most part it fit well (pants were a bit tight). A couple of the details were off, but nothing that couldn't be fixed myself.
jester44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 01:19 AM   #403
UnknownTenshi

Name of Commissioner HonestDragonChina
Website/C.com gallery: http://stores.ebay.com/honestdragonc...meZL2222QQtZkm

Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.)
Super Sailor Neptune

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1275295

Timeline (how long your order took to process) Around two weeks.

Describe your Experience.
Pros: The bodice of the fuku was nicely made. Fabrics used were fairly nice. The outfit was fairly comfortable to wear. It was a perfect fit. An overall good ebay experience.
Cons: The gloves were made of a very cheap cotton. The aqua arm bands were too large. I ended up taking them off, sliming them down, and sewing them onto a pair of nice gloves bought at Clair's. The skirt was also far too long. I ended up having to shorten it myself. (I didn't want to send it back over something that would take me 30 minutes to do. What can I say -- I am picky!) The shipping was also a bit much.

Comments: Despite the cons the overall outfit was fairly nice. I ended up adding and changing a few things: the heart button, and I painted the silver star to gold. As stated earlier the outfit was easy to wear. I would advice sending in the detailed measurements listed on the costumes page.

Final Grade: B +

Otakon 2009:
A Canadian convention (Not sure which yet)
Touga Kiryuu or Akio Ohtori
Organic Angel Alexiel
Star Maker
UnknownTenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 02:25 AM   #404
Zelos_Wilder
Time to lose some weight!

I've had two experiences with them.
First was many, many years ago. To sew a male japanese school uniform top in a plus-size. It was wonderful. Arrived extremely quickly and was made from wonderful material, etc.

...The second time I commissioned from them was bunny ears... It was... TERRIBLE. The color was wrong, the sewing was messy, the headband was uncomfortable and cheap... Ugh.
Zelos_Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 03:01 AM   #405
KwEeNofKoRn

Well in about a week i will see if they are good or not. and im praying they are.