Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 12-12-2007, 02:05 PM   #1
Sephina
The red pink spider

First Dress

I know that there is a major flaw right off the bat. I probably should have gone with something more Loli for the shirt underneath, but I was wearing it out to go visiting on halloween, andf that shirt is super warm despite the fact that the fabric is so thin. Yes the skirt covers my bum, and it does go down to my knees. My fiancee has been too lazy to take pictures of me actually wearing it so the dummy is going to have to work.

http://sephina-darkwinds.deviantart....ress1-69706799
http://sephina-darkwinds.deviantart....ress2-69706939

Oh! And the dummy is a little larger then I am now so it looks a little tight on the dummy but it isn't on me. Also, there's a really adorable mini top hat that goes with it but the camera blurs it too much to post the pictures.

Please be gentle it's my first dress.

Unread 12-12-2007, 02:23 PM   #2
Clueless Case
unce unce unce!

The lace looks to be synthetic. What kind of lace did you use? I also think the amount of the corset lacing is a bit too much.

Taking Wig Commissions
Clueless Case is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2007, 02:25 PM   #3
Petiteprincess1
More Frills then a Couch

I really do not like that cheap looking lace its really ewww. You should never by dollar lace, it usualy always looks bad. The corset lacing amount is too much.
Unread 12-12-2007, 03:41 PM   #4
Raenef

I also think the corsetting is a bit too long.
While the lace is cute (cute little hearts!), most "hardcore-lolitas" will view it as cheap because it is not cottony nor soft-looking. ^^;; Also, the lace on the top does not flatter. I think you should've had the lace gradually fade as it reached under the arms. (Do you understand? Sometimes, I don't communicate well. ^^;; )

If you are worried about cost, http://cheeptrims.com/ is a wonderful place to buy lace.

For example, I think this lace would look cute as you used it and it's only $1.20/yd. :3

Overall, it looks like a nice "lolita costume" than a lolita dress. You're going the right direction, though!

Last edited by Raenef : 12-12-2007 at 03:46 PM.
Raenef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2007, 04:59 PM   #5
DigitalDeviance
Fakir: Jedi Knight

» I pretty much agree with everyone else. The shape of the middle of the corset is not flattering, perhaps it is too long, and the lace seems cheap, more like something you'd put on the edge of a pillow than a dress.. For some reason, the white material near the top just looks strange; probably beacause it's a JSK.

You did a good job, though! Keep it up!
Unread 12-12-2007, 10:58 PM   #6
waterdancer

just as an added ting, i found some nice lace on cosplaysupplies.com =3
waterdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 07:16 AM   #7
Sephina
The red pink spider

Well thanks everyone, I did use a pattern out of Gothic Lolita Bible and they had th same sort of lace, and I used the measurements that they gave for the corset lacing so I figured it'd be ok.

And the lace does gradually disappear under my arms, Like I said on the dummy it just doesn't looke right for some reason...
Unread 12-15-2007, 09:55 AM   #8
milkandcookie

Congratulations. a very impressive first dress I must say. you obviously followed the instructions very carefully. Looking forward to seeing your next 'creation'! Best of Luck. do show us the shirt when you get round to making it.
milkandcookie is offline   Reply With Quote