Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-15-2008, 02:08 PM   #106
Amethyst Angel
Hoop Skirt Fetishist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavietta View Post
Semigloss: lol I'm more for acuracy than comfort too xD but my friend HP...if it's not comfortable she won't wear it

Amethyst angle: !! that looks totaly cool I want to remake my sword now I don't like mine at all lol what material did you use to sculpt the handles?

Apoxie Epoxy putty. You can find out about it here:

http://www.avesstudio.com/Products/A...ie_sculpt.html

Amethyst's Prop Blog
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cosplayer's Prop and Armor Compendium
I'VE NOW GOT STYRENE FOR SALE!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my NEW ETSY STORE!
Amethyst Angel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2008, 11:14 AM   #107
Naxul
Nothing is true.

my goodness- everyone's swords and nariko's are amazing here! ^^

I'm planning on making Nariko & her sword(s) for fanime (in may). I was just wondering a few little things before I really start. Could someone please give me a few pointers on her swords? I've dealt with one crazy transforming sword before (Lightning, FFXIII) but nothing that seperates. I've read all the posts in this thread but I was just wondering how you guys securited the magents in the swords--- I'm just dead afraid they're going to fall off and it'll fall appart. I might have more questions when I actually start the sword, lol..

I was also wondering about the wig-- her hair in the ponytail does like, this clumping thing, almost like dreadlocks but neater then dreadlocks:

http://www.thumbbandits.com/images/O...o_HS_sword.jpg
idk what to do about that but just maybe lots of hairspray? lol I just like that look she's got with her hair and I want to replica it as best as possible.

Many thanks for the help & I still love everyone's Narikos/Swords!

Feel free to PM about any old thing! :3
Naxul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 12:14 PM   #108
Melima331
Chaotic Neutral

My boyfriend and I did not make my swords separate for the reason that we were afraid they would fall apart (and this was my first prop, I didn't want to get too involved). I do think it is awesome when you do make them separate, though. I may make the two swords to go with my large one, but I don't think I will make them attach. I used the insulation foam method to make the sword, but I really do hate bondo. I found it hard to work with and hard to make smooth (although it did make my sword strong and it protected it from heavy damage).
I still want to fix my wig to make it look more like the pics, however, I am also a newbie to wig styling as well. There's still a few things I need to fix before the next con.

Cosplays: Nariko (Heavenly Sword), Rikku (FFX, Berserker, Black Mage, Samurai, Songstress, Detroit Red Wings, Dark Knight), Catwoman, Astrid (HTTYD), Sango (Inuyasha)

Possible planned cosplays: Daenerys (Game of Thrones)
Melima331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 09:44 PM   #109
TheRedBombshell
Emily Strange's Alter Ego

Nariko- costume update

I know i haven't posted since the beginning- but here's an update.
The wig- http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1385926
I'm dreading her side strands of hair, and i have to straighten out her pony tail, but its almost done! (Thanx Xavietta for commissioning the circlet)

The outfit is done, but don't have a picture of the rest- yet!
http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.ph...9&member=76091

The hip armor (thank you Xavietta for the pattern, and permission) is almost done. My friend logan is helping me, so it's more of a collaberation.
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1388781

The sword is done by AA- she mentioned it on this thread. She does excellent on her work and fully recommend her for commissions.
http://proplady.livejournal.com/tag/nariko+sword
TheRedBombshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2008, 01:47 AM   #110
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

Naxul: I used insulation foam for my swords and imbedded the magnets by carving out holes for them and gluing them in with 2 part epoxy/resin. It works really well with the foam and so far has held my magnets in place really well

Red: I love the progress of your costume, your kimono top looks comfy I can't wait to see the rest The sword Amethyst made is for you?? Lucky..I think it looks fantastic. And I love how you copyrighted the belt armour xD
Xavietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #111
Melima331
Chaotic Neutral

Xavietta: Did you use bondo on your sword? How did you make it so smooth? I love the detail on it.
RedBombshell: I love the wig! I can't wait to see it finished.

Cosplays: Nariko (Heavenly Sword), Rikku (FFX, Berserker, Black Mage, Samurai, Songstress, Detroit Red Wings, Dark Knight), Catwoman, Astrid (HTTYD), Sango (Inuyasha)

Unread 01-24-2008, 11:44 AM   #112
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

Melima331:To reinforce the foam I used mod podge and cheese cloth, so I used this stuff called glazing putty to fill in the square grid pattern the the cheesecloth left behind. The putty is like bondo but it's a lot thinner and you use a plastic smoothing tool and it scrapes of the extra. It cures in 10-15 minutes and sands really smooth. I should have used a few coats of gesso after that though because in person you can still see the grid pattern on the sword lol it sort of bothers me
Unread 01-29-2008, 12:07 PM   #113
TheRedBombshell
Emily Strange's Alter Ego

Melima331: thank you. It didn't turn out so bad...
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3...ig_finish1.jpg...'course, being that it was my first time with a wig- I didn't fit the wig to my head. >_< instead it was to the manequinn. I worked it out with TONS of hair pins ^_^ I saw the idea of actually dreading the hair in this thread, and went for it. Didn't turn out so bad.

Xavietta: The copyright was necessary to those needed to be credited where it was due. So many times, people steal pictures and claim it to be theres.
My legwarmers, not precise, but they did the job for the time being:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3...n/DSCI0005.jpg

This was the result of the costume:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3.../DSCI0273a.jpg
TheRedBombshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2008, 12:05 AM   #114
Hypnotic Taboo

Hi, I'm interested in cosplaying as Kai. I was wondering if any of you have advice on how to make her crossbow. I've never made a prop before but, I want to give it a shot. Please help me.
Hypnotic Taboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2008, 08:42 AM   #115
miyavilover666

Okj quick question Nariko in the game her trim is purple but in the concept art it is green. would it be better to go with the game light purplr or the green?
Also do you think that it would be okay for me to just put my hair up and use a massively long hair peice extention for her hair becouse mine will be Neon red at the time, and very long so it will blend with the extention well.
Tuxedo Mask- Sailor Moon 45% done
Kaworu- Evengelion 90% done
Dr. Stein- Soul Eater 49% done
Secret Cosplay- Something Secrety (lol) 25% done
Hime- Princess Resurrection 75% done
I was featured on Otaku House Representing America, check me out here!
miyavilover666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2008, 08:52 AM   #116
miyavilover666

another question (probly a stupid one) but can anyone give me a good tutorial on how to make Nariko's sword (just to let you all know if this has allready been answered sorry) I want to make it but i am new to props. I am also in the middle of making Zack's sword (FFVII) so any sword amking help would be highly appriciated
Tuxedo Mask- Sailor Moon 45% done
Kaworu- Evengelion 90% done
Dr. Stein- Soul Eater 49% done
Secret Cosplay- Something Secrety (lol) 25% done
Hime- Princess Resurrection 75% done
I was featured on Otaku House Representing America, check me out here!
miyavilover666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2008, 11:38 AM   #117
Melima331
Chaotic Neutral

The hair piece idea is cool if you can get the right colors (that's what I do for my Rikku costumes). There's a tutorial I used-the link is on one of the earlier pages. If you do use bondo-practise first. It is difficult to work with, but it does make the sword very durable. It was also our first time making a massive prop (My boyfriend helped me make it).
As for the color, it's basically up to you. I did purple, but if you use the concept art, that's ok too.

Unread 03-08-2008, 06:36 PM   #118
Semigloss
somewhere in between

so it's getting close to Sakuracon and i need to start my brother's "male nariko" costume...he wanted something like a sarong that just wraps around his legs several times but i advised him against it. i talked him into sort of a samurai skirt, but i can't seem to find any patterns for it. ideas, anyone?
Unread 03-08-2008, 11:46 PM   #119
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

Miyavilover666: I agree with Melima331. If you're natural hair will blend OK with the extension I say go for it, definitely easier than a wig lol also it doesn't matter what colour the trim is. The concept outfit and the in game out fit have other differences too, but no one will notice. I say go for green just because only one other person has and it's something different

Semigloss: If you watch the Special Features on the game they show concept art of a male Nariko, it's pretty cool. Maybe you could do something like that. I can't remember right now exactly what it looks like though lol You could do something like what the other clansmen wear, sort of a long tunic/vest but make it asymmetric like Nariko's skirt and kimono top: you could have only one sleeve to the vest and have the bottom hem of it swoosh down (for lack of a better word lol) to one side. I don't know how leg warmers would look on a guy though, but I'm not sure how to make that more masculine lol

On another note, I'm seriously considering remaking my Nariko wig and sword. The wig, as everyone might know, was ruined long ago and I want to make a better more accurate one. I just moved to Florida and my sword, unfortunately, got broken in 3 places in the move so I want to remake that as well, only better xD I want to get people's opinions though, should I do it?
Unread 03-09-2008, 01:18 AM   #120
Semigloss
somewhere in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavietta View Post
Semigloss: If you watch the Special Features on the game they show concept art of a male Nariko, it's pretty cool. Maybe you could do something like that. I can't remember right now exactly what it looks like though lol You could do something like what the other clansmen wear, sort of a long tunic/vest but make it asymmetric like Nariko's skirt and kimono top: you could have only one sleeve to the vest and have the bottom hem of it swoosh down (for lack of a better word lol) to one side. I don't know how leg warmers would look on a guy though, but I'm not sure how to make that more masculine lol
hummm that's an excellent suggestion, only i don't actually own the game or a ps3...maybe you could post some pics? i couldn't find by google search.