Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-18-2008, 01:00 PM   #1
Schuldig_
Optical illusion

Lord of the Rings, anyone?

I've noticed that there are quite a few LotR cosplayers around, but no thread for them... so why not make one? I thought it could be fun to know a few things about you, such as:

1. Do you cosplay as certain characters from the book/the movies, or do you have an OC?
2. What got you into the fandom and when did you start cosplaying from it?
3. The movies - what do you think? Great inspiration or totally off?
4. Any particular race (Elf, Hobbit, Man...) you prefer cosplaying? Why?

Of course, we can talk about just anything else as well. It was just a suggestion. But to be a good sport, I'll go first.

1. I have my original character. She was born on a LotR forum which I sadly don't frequent anymore, and developed over the years. Her name is Ethuil, which is Sindarin for "spring", and she's a Vanya. Since there aren't really any Vanyar in Middle Earth, it's pretty easy to improvise her manners and outfits since no one can say anything about it. *g*
2. I've been a fan of the books since I was a child, but it wasn't until I, around the age of 20, learned about the various Tolkien societies that I started cosplaying, as most members made their own costume. I got lots of help from a friend and was hooked, and the interest for costuming slowly trickled into anime and manga as well.
3. I think, at least costume-wise (let's leave out the killing of Haldir and the addition of Arwen on Glorfindel's horse, shall we? ), that they are great inspiration. They have captured the individual traits of each race well, if you ask me.
4. I am an Elf, through and through. It mostly has to do with feeling more connected to them than any other race, plus, I love trees.

"Don't engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man." (Crawford, courtesy of Aoe, in this case)
Schuldig_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-18-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
TariElensar

1. Do you cosplay as certain characters from the book/the movies, or do you have an OC? I've never "officially" cosplayed anything LotR except for Halloween in 8th grade. I went as good old Legolas. Closet cosplay ftw. I basically have an OC now - Tari Elensar. On the off chance I feel mortal I'm Egarwen the Thirsty. Long story behind that name.
2. What got you into the fandom and when did you start cosplaying from it? *hangs head in shame* I jumped in after the movies came out. I can't lie about that. However, I went beyond the Orlando Bloom is hot fangirl phase and..yes. My only "cosplay" was the 8th grade Legolas one. One day I hope to cosplay as Beleg Cuthalion from The Sil/Children of Hurin. He is, hands down, my favorite character in the history of ever.
3. The movies - what do you think? Great inspiration or totally off? Love, love, LOVE the costume work. Love the sets, the actors, most everything...except for the whole Arwen bit and the random Elves at Helms Deep, like you said. lolWHUUUT.
4. Any particular race (Elf, Hobbit, Man...) you prefer cosplaying? Why? I cosplay Elves since I have the most in common with them imho. That and they have some gorgeous costumes to work with. I'd like to cosplay a Hobbit one day, but the feet would be too difficult for my limited experience.

Any tips for Elf ears that don't look really fake? I found some stuff on alleycatscratch.com/lotr (really great site btw) but I'm wondering if you'd tried anything else that worked well.
TariElensar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
TwilightAmelia

1. Well, as you can see from my sig, I've cosplayed Eowyn before. Not for a convention, but because a few of my friends and I decided to go to the opening of RotK in costume. It was my first huge sewing undertaking, and I still have the dress. It still fits, too, maybe even better than it did when I first made it. ^^ I gave myself a Quenya name once, but I didn't create a character around it. =P

2. I started reading the books because my dad and I were at a movie one summer and saw the very first theatrical poster for LotR...the one with Frodo looking all ominous with the Ring held out in front of him. I had to ask my dad what it was from, and we got home and he gave me his old, well-loved set of the books. I finished them long before the first movie was released.

3. Movies? I loved them. I recognize that there were a lot of changes (I feel sorry for poor Glorfindel. He gets cheated out of every attempt to movie-fy LotR.) but I think that its impossible to adapt a book to the big screen without changing some things. Great books do not necessarily equal great movies.

4. I guess if I had to choose a race, I'd choose the Elves. Who wouldn't? But character-wise, I'd much rather play Eowyn. She's such a strong character, one of the few developed female characters in the whole series, and she does amazing things even within the limits of her humanity. Eowyn=LOVE

EDIT: TariElensar: Check out this site. Ardani.com

I'm getting my ears for my Zelda costume from this site. Their prices are very reasonable, though I'm not sure how well they blend. I think its still recommended that you use liquid latex to make the ear tip look more natural, but these people specialize in LotR and other fantasy styles. =D

Last edited by TwilightAmelia : 02-18-2008 at 10:28 PM.
TwilightAmelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2008, 05:31 AM   #4
Schuldig_
Optical illusion

TariElensar, there's no shame in getting into the fandom via the movies. The only thing that really makes my skin crawl is people who did it and then think they're experts (you know, the "Orlando Bloom said Legolas was X years old, so he's X years old!!" people...) But that could be because I'm a Craig Parker (Haldir) fangurl myself.

On the ears issue, I can only agree with Squeeagie - liquid latex works wonders. I rarely use it as I tend to set my hair to cover the edges anyway, but for more elaborate hairdos, it's a must. It's easy to work with, too.

"Don't engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man." (Crawford, courtesy of Aoe, in this case)
Unread 02-19-2008, 01:13 PM   #5
X_x_Vegan

1. Do you cosplay as certain characters from the book/the movies, or do you have an OC?

I've never cosplayed as any of the characters, but I've wanted to even before I knew what cosplaying was I've always wanted to be Luthien or Glorfindel (poor Glorfindel, always getting left out)

I think it was when I was when I was in the seventh grade that I first saw about 30 seconds of the film on TV, and walked away, about a year later, I read the books and LOVED THEM. I watched th movies soon after. I then read Unfinished Tales and The Silmarillion which quickly became, and still is, my favorite book, I must have litterally read it over one hundred times over the past few years O.O Seriously

My favorite story has to be Of Beren and Luthien It's so romantic, and I also love the stories about Numenor.

Like others have said, costume-wise, the movies are great, and I realize that you can't make the movie exactly like the book or else it would have been 30 hours long (which I wouldn't have minded) but I still miss some parts from the book : ( but overall I still enjoy them. I really enjoy more of the history of middle-earth, pre LotR, then the actual movie plot, more interesting I think.

I've always like the elves more. Just their secrecy and the mystery around them make them interesting. Plus, most of the Silmarillion is about them.
X_x_Vegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2008, 01:47 PM   #6
makotohanabi
Chuu?

1. Right now I'm working on a elf maiden costume, she doesn't have a name. I did borrow a friend's Coronation Eowyn costume at Dragon*Con last year.

2. My dad is a hardcore Tolkien fan and he read the storied to me and my sister when we were young. One of his happiest moments was being able to have a pint at Tolkien's favortie pub in Cambridge. My first time cosplaying was Dragon*Con when Yotan let me borrow her Eowyn costume so I could march in the parade. My elf costume has been planned for several years, but I wanted to make sure I had the skills to make it properly. LOtR is my dad's main fandom and I would get an earful if I messed it up. I'm hoping it will be complete for Balticon (Memorial Day weekend).

3. The movies are inspiration for the costumes only. I wanted to beat my head against the wall during the movies. Still annoyed they cut Tom Bobadil.

4. Think I will do another elf cosplay in the future since I have to buy the ears, and want to get my money's worth. Also like the elves I'm a lot older than I look. Thinking about Goldberry or Nellas for Costume Con next year. One of my friends has a Witch King costume, so I might make a Durnhelm costume.
Unread 02-19-2008, 02:37 PM   #7
U_ne_korn
Kiwi Cosplay!

Gosh you guys make me feel oooolllld!! I read the books when I was 10, pushing 13 years ago now. Man they are a hard slog! I'm from NZ, so like everyone else in the country I went completely ballastic about it when the film crews arrived. :-D I actually did four nights of extra work (I mean, so did practically everyone else in the country, but you can see my face in the final cut, so I'm happy). I think that the movies are fantastic movies, if you take them at face value. I think that in some ways, they DID massacre the source material, but then again, all movies do. But I'd also have to so, some of the scenes would have just been TOO BORING to watch in film. I mean, the Council of Elrond ALONE would have been 3 hours. And frankly, if they had structured Frodo being captured after Shelob the way the books had, there would have been a riot.

My only foray into cosplaying Tolkein (I don't count extra'ing) was when my friend and I ran a semi-costumed marathon of all extended editions as part of our Tolkien club. May I just point out, that this is a really good way to never want to see the films again? I sewed up a corset top in one evening from a pattern I already had, wore it over a poets shirt and a long skirt.

I think if I did a full scale cosplay, I'd probably do one of the Rohirrm, probably Eowyn. I'm kinda stuck on that style of costumes at the moment. The patterns you can by in NZ now have lots of imitations of LOTR costumes.
U_ne_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2008, 02:41 PM   #8
Schuldig_
Optical illusion

I'd love to make a Goldberry costume! All the fun one could have just designing it! *salivates*

Funny, it seems like we're all Elves in here so far... Elves rock!

U_ne_korn, where are you in the final cut? Now I have to go look (which I'm good at; I've worked with LotR cons so we always sit and pick out all the extras we know. *g*)

Unread 02-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #9
U_ne_korn
Kiwi Cosplay!

In the bit where Frodo, Sam and Smeagol are about to head up the stairs, where the big light comes out of the Witch-Kings' castle. When we cut back to everyone in Gondor looking at the light, I'm one of the civillians in a crowd scene, but I'm right up the front. I really need to get a screen shot if I'm going to keep gloating about this!!
U_ne_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2008, 03:41 PM   #10
Enk
Keeper of the Ninja Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuldig_ View Post
I'd love to make a Goldberry costume! All the fun one could have just designing it! *salivates*

Funny, it seems like we're all Elves in here so far... Elves rock!
Yes they do, and they are tall too Though I have more of a hobbit figure, but a 6-foot hobbit, not so much

I love Silmarillion elves, especially Feanorians. They are so beautifully tragic. I also have various incarnations of Yavanna and a green wizard that could very well be her in human form.

I've loved LotR since I read it the second time (the first time I had no appreciation for it because it was for school). From then on it was a slow gradual envelopment that was peaked by the films (hype and people crawling out of the woodworks).

I love the movies like I love the books. They are telling the same story in two completely different ways and that is perfectly alright. Everything about the books was great and everything about the movies was great. It inspired a string of essays in my university career that compared the translation of a novel to a film/play with a script to a film/play.

Elves, particularly Silmarillion elves. They are a race of battle and passion and rawr unlike the elves of LotR who mostly just want to return across the sea. One of these days I do want to replicate one of Elrond's costumes from the movies though.
I tend to base my costumes more on artwork (Jenny Dolfen in particular) than the movies.
Unread 02-19-2008, 04:35 PM   #11
Schuldig_
Optical illusion

U_ne_korn, it's okay to brag. Most of the "dead Elf's left leg" I know do, too, and they didn't even get a face shot. *g*

Enk, I look more like a Hobbit than an Elf, too... but here's to pretending!

Unread 02-19-2008, 05:06 PM   #12
TwilightAmelia

I'm too short to be an elf. =P So while I admire and respect them...Eowyn is my homegirl. I should put that on a T-Shirt. ^^;;

And U_ne_korn...thats totally awesome that you were able to be a part of the movies. *imaginary glompage* I'd brag too, if I were anywhere in a movie.
Unread 02-20-2008, 08:02 PM   #13
LadyAmaryllis
Asparagus Eater

1. I cosplay Arwen, mostly, but I really love Eowyn too. I think I look more like Eowyn. But since I'm in love with Aragorn I like to do Arwen ;___;
2. I read the books in fifth grade, which was...uh...like twelve years ago, something like that. I was a little reticent about the movies at first, because I thought they might lose the feel of the books, but was pleasantly surprised. One of the strongest fan-moments of my life was the movie prologue to Fellowship, with Galadriel talking, with THAT MUSIC playing...I was awed and overwhelmed.
3. Oops, I already answered this question. I do think the movies lose a little bit of the hobbits-eye view that the books had. I also don't like what they did with Arwen (being Glorifindel, then later "tied to the fate of the ring") but what else were they going to do? She had to do SOMETHING if she was going to be the love interest of a major character. I can't really fault them for her randomness.
4. No particular race. Just favorite characters.

Yay Lord of the Rings! I'm glad we started a thread on it. I've done the Arwen Mourning Gown, Eowyn Shield Maiden, and Arwen Rose Dress, but all three were when I was very new to cosplay and I'm not really happy with any of them. Top of my LOTR list presently is a re-do of my Arwen Mourning gown, but it won't happen for years. I put my Masquerade commitments at the top of my list and that doesn't leave room for much else. ;_;

Last edited by LadyAmaryllis : 02-20-2008 at 08:04 PM.
LadyAmaryllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2008, 01:06 PM   #14
s-meisters
ImpressΩmega

I think it would be pretty awesome if someone cosplayed as their LOTRO character ^^. It's OC and pretty creative. I'd cosplay as my character, but my guy looks lame so >.>.
Unread 02-21-2008, 01:34 PM   #15
Schuldig_
Optical illusion

LadyAmaryllis, I think your costumes are gorgeous.

And yeah, the movie prologue completely swept me off my feet as well. Just the thought that someone was taking all my favourite childhood stories and making a movie... I had no idea at the time just how big LotR was, and I was rather alone in my fandom until I was around 21, so I thought it was huge that a movie producer would even bother with it. *g*

S-meisters, I have yet to play LotRO, but I would love to some day (read: when I have time and money). I take it you play? Would you recommend it?