Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 673 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-19-2008, 01:58 PM   #616
LugiaP2K
Shaman King Cosplayer

Name of Commissioner: NekoMimiChan

Website/C.com gallery: http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/84403/

Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.): Hao Asakura’s Earrings from Shaman King
Reference picture: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...Earrings-6.jpg

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: Front - http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ringsFront.jpg
Back - http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...rringsBack.jpg
Me wearing them - http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...nnEarrings.jpg
Her picture of them - http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1399155/

Timeline (how long your order took to process): Started contact over PM’s on Jan. 28/08; earrings were finished on Feb. 6/08; received Feb. 19/08. Less than a month in total time.

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments: This commission went very smoothly and was a nice change from my last one. Communication was always good, and she would reply to my messages within a day or two. I was updated frequently with all steps of progress, and she promptly contacted me with any questions she had. Also took all of my requests to heart, such as ensuring that the earrings were clip ons instead of regular ones. The earrings are very lightweight as I requested, as well as being concave. The snacks she included as a bonus to the earrings was a nice treat as well.
The only con is that the earrings are a bit bigger than I thought they would be, but it’s not a major issue.

Final Grade: A
I’d definitely go back to her again for anything I need. Great communication, fast worker, and a great product.

Anime North 2014 (May 23-25)

Yoh Asakura (Shaman King)
Hao Asakura (Shaman King)
LugiaP2K is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-20-2008, 01:21 AM   #617
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated! ^^
Kanira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2008, 05:02 PM   #618
Visual Prince
Boku ga KIRA da.

I'm hoping this is the right thread for this? D:

I was looking into getting a wig on eBay, but there have been a few times I've checked here regarding wigs and/or costumes and have seen people say "Oh, so-and-so is really bad quality. D:" Or something to that extent...

It's an L [Death Note] wig, seeing as I don't want to dye my hair black, after finally getting it back to white [following AX07].

The "Shop" is titled "Professional Only", and the wig is about $26.

L WIG

That is the wig I was looking into.

Has anyone else ordered from them?

Thank you!

Edit I suppose the linking to ebay isn't allowed? D: Or..something.. ._.; -Hasn't been to the forums in ages-

It's for a good cause. D: GenCon '08.

Last edited by Visual Prince : 02-20-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Visual Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2008, 05:04 PM   #619
fatalinjection
that's what she said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visual Prince View Post
I'm hoping this is the right thread for this? D:

I was looking into getting a wig on eBay, but there have been a few times I've checked here regarding wigs and/or costumes and have seen people say "Oh, so-and-so is really bad quality. D:" Or something to that extent...

It's an L [Death Note] wig, seeing as I don't want to dye my hair black, after finally getting it back to white [following AX07].

The "Shop" is titled "Professional Only", and the wig is about $26.

L WIG

That is the wig I was looking into.

Has anyone else ordered from them?

Thank you!
Lern2readthread
Matsumoto (shinigami & school uniform); Bleach
Reira ; NANA
Risa ; Lovely*Complex
fatalinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2008, 05:27 PM   #620
Visual Prince
Boku ga KIRA da.

There is no review for any group by the name of "Professional Only", so, even if I do read all of the front page, where most of the information is listed, it wouldn't be of much use. =\

It's for a good cause. D: GenCon '08.
Visual Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2008, 05:28 PM   #621
fatalinjection
that's what she said

Quote:
There is no review for any group by the name of "Professional Only", so, even if I do read all of the front page, where most of the information is listed, it wouldn't be of much use. =\
But this isn't a thread for asking about those kinds of things.
Reira ; NANA
Risa ; Lovely*Complex
Unread 02-20-2008, 05:43 PM   #622
livengood
Jojofags-r-us

Quote:

The search feature is your friend.

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.ph...ofessionalonly

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=123825

Also, it's professionalonly. One word, not two.

It's not hard to use the search feature dear.
AC Paradise Deviantart
livengood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2008, 12:05 AM   #623
TheTabbers
Rockman Nerd

Name of Commissioner: Amethyst Angel
Website/C.com gallery: http://www.amethyst-angel.com/

Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.): Dark Protoman.EXE, from Rockman.EXE/Megaman Battle Network. It was the entire costume (helmet, cuffs, armored vest, boots)
Reference picture: http://starnine.manaexe.com/wow/085.jpg

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: http://starnine.manaexe.com/wow/ouch.jpg you can see the giant-helmet sliding around in action here. I had to lean back for photos, in order to SEE.
http://starnine.manaexe.com/wow/group.jpg a lovely look at the boots. If you look closely, you can see my black socks I wore on the heel. This was after the bottom of the boot fell apart...before I even went to the con!

Timeline (how long your order took to process): Commissioned Jan06 for Otakon that year. Didn't get it till a week before Otakon...07.

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments: It started out smoothly. Great contact, down payment sent. She even posted a tutorial on her LJ that was based around the helmet for my cosplay. However, a couple of months before the con, I emailed her, asking for an update. No answer. I prodded her several times on LJ about it, no answer.
She got back to me the day before the con, saying it would not be complete. She had issues, and forgot. Okay, fine. I had a backup costume. I asked for it to be done of Otakon07, since that is the only con I regular attend.
Well, I let her be till about march, and started sending emails, asking how things were going. No answer. Prodded on lj again. No answer for awhile. Finally got an email about...may? She barely worked on it. She had the helmet done, and the cuffs only constructed. I sent her the last payment (I only had to pay for the shipped. She didn't charge me the rest for being a whole YEAR late). Got it barely a week before Otakon.
The costume?
Well, it was pretty, I'll give it that.
Practical? Not in the least. The helmet opening was way too small. I had to cut it open in order to get it on my head. And while the opening was small, the inside was too big. the helmet would flop around, and cover alot of my face.
The vest armor was too small. it wouldn't seal up in the back, and I couldn't move.
the leg armor was fused at the ankle, and the "sole" of the boots was that very thin craft-foam sheet you can get at art stores. Needless to say that broke instantly. It was impossible to walk in, and even more impossible to get around the con in. (Otakon has stairs, you know...)
It's like since she wasn't getting paid for my cosplay because of the lateness, no care went into the sizing of it. At all.

Not to mention, the whole costume hurt like hell. I wore it for a max of 4 hours the whole weekend.

Final Grade: F
Frankly, I wouldn't recommend her to anyone. Running a 'business' of any kind, you can't pull this crap. As a graphic designer in the field, I totally understand rough deadlines. But, even if you make mistakes, you have to own up to them and still do a good job, least is wreck your reputation. Not to mention, don't take on too many projects you can't handle at once. And this is what happened here.
NEVER order a full cosplay from her, and order props at your own risk. Until she learns to acutally keep good contact AND manage her time properly. To be honest, she seems more interested in making tutorial books. ...
TheTabbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2008, 12:01 AM   #624
AsuraRevenge
Pursuer of Beauty

Name of Commissioner: DizzyLizzy
Website/C.com gallery: http://lizzy.agentsofcosplay.com/gallery/main.php
Character commissioned: Zero Princess Wig (Saga Frontier)
Links to picture(s): http://lizzy.agentsofcosplay.com/gal.../zeroprincess/
Being worn (ignore the human): http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...o/IMG_6563.jpg
Timeline: January 5 (start) to February 20 (received) - Received first progress pictures on 1/28/08 and finished pictures on 2/2/08

Describe your Experience.

I absolutely love Lizzy! I went into the commission knowing that she has a great reputation when it comes to wig design and was not disappointed. She has a very quick reply time on e-mails and is generally an awesome person to talk to. She is also very patient and accommodating when I was tight on my budget and had to pay in installments.

There were very few reference pictures for my character, but the finished ("Handlebar Wig" as Lizzy would say) product sent to me was absolutely beautiful and well worth the cost! I also adore the bath salts and the handwritten note of thanks I received. She even went through the trouble of making the headpiece out of tiny beads!

However, what truly made me a fan was that she was extremely open to suggestions (though I am afraid that I didn't really have too much) and warned me ahead of time of other things she was having trouble with. She said that she was not happy with the thickness of the wig, so I was worried about how thin it was going to end up. However, I was pleasantly surprised by how beautiful it came together. (Nothing to worry about from this angle, Lizzy!)

Pros: Everything. After this, I'm not sure if I could ever go to a different commissioner for wigs...

Cons: None whatsoever.

Grade: A+. I contacted her as a commissioner, but by the end of the commission, I felt like I had made a friend. Sharky!

Last edited by AsuraRevenge : 02-22-2008 at 12:15 AM.
AsuraRevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2008, 01:39 AM   #625
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated :>
Unread 02-22-2008, 12:07 PM   #626
4ng31
meh.

First, let me start by apologizing to GreyCat over the whole fuss that was thrown a few pages back...my apologies.

Name of Commissioner : Dream-Angels

Website/C.com gallery : http://www.dream-angels.net/

Character commissioned and series/video game : Albel Nox - Star Ocean 3 (top, bottom, gloves, and stockings)

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item : http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/100231/

Timeline (how long your order took to process) : First contacted them about in on July 31st. Took a month for them to send me a quote for pricing. First payment was sent on August 28th, 2007. Item received January 3rd, at the con I was supposed to wear it at (wasn't finished in time to mail it out...)

BTW, this should have been the first warning...the sloppiness of the e-mails and conversation.

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments. - This entire process was a disaster. After not hearing from them for literally months, unless of course it was for another commission my girlfriend wanted done for Ohayocon, Anna begins to start to contact me a week before the con, telling me that there might no tbe enough time to have it finished and shipped out in time to get here before the con, and that she will bring it with her. This is of course basically a week before the con, and then they fall off the map again. I have no replies to my e-mails, no cell phone numbers to contact them...nothing. Just a hope that she will in fact show up with them, and that everything is well made and fits properly. Well made...that's a joke.

First off, lets look at the skirt piece - http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/7787/img0979xc4.jpg

That's it. A plain piece of cloth...not hemmed, not with gold fabric around the edges...o no, just fabric paint...which hardened so it'll probably never lay flat...with elastic strips to tie it together. Not elastic all the way through, just 2 small pieces barely sewn on the edges. I could have made this better myself, and I can barely sew...now, compare that piece to the price breakdown from the delayed quote : 95$. 95$ for a piece of cloth, some fabric paint, and 2 small pieces of elastic.

How about the stockings - http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/2231/img0980za0.jpg

Notice that nice piece of tape residue still on there? Did I mention the bottom of the stockings weren't finished at all? No seems, no hems, nothing...granted they fit in the boot, but if you chrage me $35 for stockings, I expect them to be, ya know, stockings, not to pieces of fabric sewn together, open on both sides...

The gloves were a joke...no finishing touches on the top, seams were ripping everywhere...fingers were "jumbled" up at the seams...granted, you can't see much of this in pictures, but to me, it was a joke...o, and they were $90.

The only good part of this costume was the shirt/top. But again, instead of properly finishing it, there were 2 small pieces of elastic to tie the neck together in the back.

O, and the prop that sits on the back of the costume? It was made from matte board...like, the stuff you frame posters and such with? 70$ for poorly painted matte board.

The belt? The gold which was supposed ot have "belt loops" on it? A piece of yellow fabric poorly sewn together. The actual belt (red part over the yellow)? A piece of thin rope...like, come on. I had to run to Wal-Mart the morning of the con to get a replacement.

There are so many things I want to say right now about this. The fact that I pushed you guys as some of the best commissioners out there and then you shit on both me and my girlfriend (that review is coming later). The fact you asked us to put up reviews for the previous costumes you made for us for exposure (in which were missing pieces as well), in which we still did. The fact I paid almost 300 dollars for this catastrophe of fabric and have the nerve to ask me to my face if "everything was alright?" knowing damn well both these costumes were pieces of shit. The fact that others are telling me now that you don't care how these costumes come out because you're getting out of cosplay anyways...yet are still screwing over buyers? I did my best to help you guys get exposure on here and help you get as many commissions as possible, but that ends now.

Do not buy from Dream-Angels.

Again, I apologize to everyone that I got into it with over their quality and such, I was in the wrong.

Final Grade : D...just for the fact that you did deliver something...

Last edited by 4ng31 : 02-23-2008 at 12:40 AM.
4ng31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2008, 12:36 PM   #627
fatalinjection
that's what she said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka BMz View Post
and then you shit on both me and my girlfriend
As myself as Dream Angels don't sh-...nah, too easy.

In all seriousness, I'm really sorry they screwed you over, and me too. Very disappointing.
Reira ; NANA
Risa ; Lovely*Complex
Unread 02-22-2008, 08:02 PM   #628
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated <3
Unread 02-23-2008, 07:05 PM   #629
xxmossgardenxx
Amahime

Name of Commissioner: Miyori
Website/C.com gallery: http://www.geminatevisions.net/index2.html
Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.)Tifa AC version.
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: None yet. Will have some very shortly
Time line (how long your order took to process): June of 07 to February 08
Describe your Experience.

Pros: Amazingly talented Seamstress. Even though the beginning was rough, she was amazing to work with and was very kind and understand. The outfit is accurate to a tee. Nothing even slightly out of place. A perfect replica.

Cons: It started in June of last year. I contacted Miyori about doing a commission and she gladly accepted. However I had her on a tight time line.

The first time I received the outfit it was not what was expected. It was a rush job, and there were quite a few things wrong. Hem not sewn, threads...basically a mess.

At first I was angry, but I soon realized that it was not her fault, but rather my own. I had requested something in a ridiculous time line, so she could not be blamed at all for it. She is a busy girl in school, and I had expected too much in that short amount of time.

In the end I was the one at fault for this mess. Never Miyori, and I as a commissionie accept that.

I contacted Miyori a day later, asking if it was possible to have it redone, with a larger time line. She accepted and agreed to only charge me for materials. A fair trade and I couldn't be more happy we did. I just wish I had more to pay her. And I think I will.

Comments: I couldn't be more happy. I finally got the outfit I have tried to get for two years now, and finally without being ripped off. The sew job and everything is amazing. Nothing is to complain about, and I would gladly work with Miyori again if she would allow it XD I could not recommend her more!

Final Grade: A+++++

~*Upcoming Con*~
Anime Boston 2014
xxmossgardenxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 01:01 AM   #630
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated \o/