Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 177 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-15-2008, 10:19 PM   #46
Ghost613
Your face is a Geostigma!

Just an update:
The following link has been added to the front page under "How can I cut bangs into a wig?"
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=138993
Ghost613 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-03-2008, 10:15 AM   #47
KnuxieChan
Thunderbolt's Bitch

I've got a quick question. What if you want the wig hair to lay closer to the sides of your face?
Major Raikov (Metal Gear Solid 3)
Kazuhira Miller (Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker)
Joltik (Pokémon Hoodie)
Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil 4)
Marik Ishtar (YGOTAS)

----------------------
KnuxieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 05:43 PM   #48
Ghost613

You could probably achieve that by using hot water or a blowdrier to "straighten" it and make it more flat. Or possibly some pomade to weight it down.
Unread 03-07-2008, 07:39 PM   #49
Risami

what kind of hair spray can you use on wigs?
Risami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #50
Ghost613

Any old hairspray. Aquanet works pretty well. You can get it at any old Dollar General.
Unread 03-13-2008, 11:34 PM   #51
Jacaranda
Spastic Sagittarius

Might I suggest adding copic-dying as an option on the front page? KittyCanuck described the process in a way that seemed similar to the sharpie or FW ink methods, and there were pictures posted as well.

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=120368&page=2

Also, Saeru's tutorial for Anti-Sora's hair is pretty useful, as the spiking method can be applied to just about anything.

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=112871
Jacaranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2008, 04:24 PM   #52
Lucc

When I get my wig, dose it matter if I dye it then cut it to the proper length or vise versa? Will it affect the final product?
Lucc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2008, 04:26 PM   #53
Tsusho
Gyakusetsu Tsusho

No, either way will not affect the final product. However, it would be easier to just cut the wig first then actually dye it so that you do not need to mix up more wig dye for parts of the wigs that will be cut off anyway.
Unread 03-16-2008, 05:10 PM   #54
lunaladyoflight
Glitter Addict

I never use a human-hair hairspray on wigs. It doesn't hold as well as a wig spray which is specially formulated for synthetic hair. In my experience it holds much better.
Unread 03-16-2008, 05:55 PM   #55
Ghost613

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaladyoflight View Post
I never use a human-hair hairspray on wigs. It doesn't hold as well as a wig spray which is specially formulated for synthetic hair. In my experience it holds much better.
Warning: Frank and insensitive Ghost has been unleashed!
This is not true, to be blunt.
Wigs es plastic! They need no "special" hairspray product designed specifically for wigs, because more than half the time those "special" hairsprays are a scam. Wigs are non porus: regardless of whatever extra ingredients are used in this wig spray you speak of, they aren't going to absorb any of it, so it's useless. Regular cheap, Texas big hair approved lacquer only hairsprays such as Aquanet is quite simply the best hairspray to use.
(And yes, I have used both. And yes I have years of experience. And yes, unlike you I'm not pimping my business by making things seem harder than they really are).
Unread 03-16-2008, 06:35 PM   #56
lunaladyoflight
Glitter Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost613 View Post
Warning: Frank and insensitive Ghost has been unleashed!
This is not true, to be blunt.
Wigs es plastic! They need no "special" hairspray product designed specifically for wigs, because more than half the time those "special" hairsprays are a scam. Wigs are non porus: regardless of whatever extra ingredients are used in this wig spray you speak of, they aren't going to absorb any of it, so it's useless. Regular cheap, Texas big hair approved lacquer only hairsprays such as Aquanet is quite simply the best hairspray to use.
(And yes, I have used both. And yes I have years of experience. And yes, unlike you I'm not pimping my business by making things seem harder than they really are).
I never said they absorb anything. Since this is part of my degree (Theatre production in design for costumes, wigs, makeup and props), my wig professor told me that Wig Spray was better to use than hairspray. For just the reasons you stated. Hairspray is meant to bond to porous fiber, wig spray is made for NON-porous fiber.

Plus some human hairsprays are non water soluble, and will NOT wash out completely if you goof up a style. Leaving you semi-screwed. Wig spray is completely water soluble. Also Wig sprays have less alcohol in them and is less damaging to wigs (think your dye job washing away). Wig spray also doesn't leave a heavy buildup like hairspray.

I have to know all this because it's part of what I do.

And I'm not pimping my wig business, people come to me because they want me. I've had to drop my own costumes for an upcoming con because of how many wig commissions I have.

Also remember that some people would rather pay a professional to get it right, than try it themselves and be unsatisfied.

Last edited by lunaladyoflight : 03-16-2008 at 06:45 PM.
lunaladyoflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2008, 06:58 PM   #57
evaunit01berser
Banned

honestly ghost, i'd take luna's advice over yours anyday. you get crazy defensive over things she says she does. i didnt hear her say you HAVE to use a certain dye, but if you want your wigs to look like crap, well...thats your thing
evaunit01berser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2008, 07:11 PM   #58
MissShanksALot

*nods* I'm a beginner with wig styling, but I still can tell who is in their right mind when it comes to this stuff. Also, galleries prove everything. ^_~
MissShanksALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2008, 07:51 PM   #59
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

She's very right about alchohol drying out wigs. It's why you don't want to over-dye a wig. I learned this first hand with my first Chrno wig. I've had it since 2005 and have dyed it twice and re-styled it multiple times using normal hairspray and the wig is pretty much shot now.
It was only until much later did I read about how drying alchohol was on wigs. -_- Ah well, live and learn.

And nowhere did I see Luna pimping out her business since anyone can walk into a wig supply store and buy wig hairspray. :-P It's not a commissioner only commodity.
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2008, 07:52 PM   #60
Ghost613

Honestly, I don't care. This isn't a stupid popularity contest. I don't care who's advice you take. I made this thread so people could get help with their common questions, not so you could all insult me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShanksALot
Also, galleries prove everything. ^_~
Um excuse me but... what?