Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1181 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-28-2008, 11:24 PM   #751
Nandr

Name of Commissioner: Lawrara Shop/Clara Wong
Website/C.com gallery: www.lawrarashop.com
Character/Series: Kanaria and Souseiseki from Rozen Maiden (2 full costumes)
Links to pictures:
Kanaria: [x] [x] [x]
Souseiseki: (coming soon)
Timeline: I believe I first emailed her Jan 21 and the last costume came Mar 28.

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments:
This was my first experience ever commissioning a person and I have to say, it went pleasantly well. One of the costumes bought was for my sister and the other for me. Both of the costumes had such beautiful craftmanship! The material was gorgeous (albeit hot) and it was made very well. Clara answered my emails in roughly 24 hrs every time so she doesn't neglect the customer. But, because the costumes are made at a factory, buyers should be warned that they won't get progress shots. Both of the costumes were also a little inaccurate but neither of them had problems that it would detract from the pretty. The Souseiseki costume was also a little small but I'm almost positive it was just bad measuring on my end and I think I may have gained weight. All in all, the experience went well. Clara Wong is a sweet person and I thought the service was possibly the best part of it.

Final Grade: B+ (grade is thus because I thought she might have been more accurate with the designs)
Nandr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2008, 09:48 AM   #752
yunaeonSummoner
KawaiiHimeChii

Name of Commissioner- C-Chen
Website/C.com gallery- Cosbape.webs.com
Character commissioned Chii from chobits. Her opening dress Yakuta and wig and ears
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item
http://www.freewebs.com/cosbape/chi1.htm
http://www.freewebs.com/cosbape/chi2.htm
Timeline (how long your order took to process- Took her 1 week each to make each costume, but ordered it in late Febuary and got it April 25 2008

Describe your Experience.
Pros, Very Nice and sweet. Shipped the costumes before i paid her in full. Her Costumes are amazing and very stunning. Styled the wig for free for me

Cons, Didnt tell anyone she moved until she moved. Missed the orginal dateline because of her moving into a new house. The costumes make up for it. Can improve on faster communcation

Comments. Slow communcation, Costumes are Amazing. Highly recommanded. Too bad she missed the deadline of March 21st to the 23 because she was moving but recommanded and usually makes deadlines.
Final Grade: A-
yunaeonSummoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2008, 07:28 AM   #753
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

And we're updated <3
Kanira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2008, 02:17 AM   #754
wpuzzle
Dreamer Scientist~

Name of Commissioner: Cosplay1.com / nugrosjp / Ajie Nugroho

Website/C.com gallery
: cosplay1.com

Character commissioned: Simon from Gurren-Lagann (jacket only)

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: Never received.

Timeline: Paid full early November 2007, deadline was early February 2008.

Describe your Experience

Pros: Communication was good before I paid it full.
Cons:
- Extremely poor communication after I paid in full.
- He blamed me for not giving him reference pictures of the back of the jacket even when I did. Not to mention I specifically requested him to ask me first before making it if I ever forgot to include anything, or if any details at all were unclear. He did not fulfill this request, and went on to make it based on his own judgment.
- He did not send a final progress picture before shipping it even if I requested him to do so beforehand.
- He did not inform me that he had shipped it (if he did at all...).
- I sent an email of complaint regarding my missed deadline, which he never replied, until I posted on his thread on cosplay.com spamboard (before the site adopted Marketplace). He almost never replied to my emails asking him about the status of my commission, until I mentioned that I decided to file a dispute on Paypal, at which point he acted rude and told me to appreciate him more for what he had done for me. (Which made me ponder, because there wasn't a single thing he did right for me, most of which I tolerated).

***EDIT: 05/11/08***
Final Grade: N/A
Note: Received refund.

Last edited by wpuzzle : 05-11-2008 at 09:25 PM.
wpuzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2008, 03:00 AM   #755
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated
Unread 05-02-2008, 02:19 PM   #756
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadira Pookie View Post
This might be taboo, but I feel it needs to be out there because more than a few people I know have had problems.

Name of Site: Cosworx
While I know it'll seem like I'm doing this just because it's the site's store, know that I'm just staff of the forums and not the store and would do this for any other actual store.

But... Cosworx is a shop for a supply company, not a commission site. Is this really applicable here? Otherwise there could be reviews for sites like Amphigory and the like. You bought the wig and are commenting on the service. You didn't commission something specific or buy something custom made, like the thread is for. :/

I'm not going to ask that it be taken down, but ... Is this going to be open to every site out there? Would someone talking about their experience ordering boots from a company site like ElectriqueBoutique be accepted too?

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2008, 10:09 PM   #757
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi View Post
Would someone talking about their experience ordering boots from a company site like ElectriqueBoutique be accepted too?
This is where things get a little blurry. We accept reviews from eBay wig suppliers and pre-made costume/prop purchases, and sites like Amphigory and Cosworx are very slightly different. They're still a merchant offering a service, and their performance should still be recorded for the sake of prospective customers.
I do understand the weirdness of it, though. If someone offered a review of, say, Hot Topic after purchasing a Vash coat I might be a bit hesitant unless it was an online transaction.
If there are any ever real issues with listing middlemen merchants, I can certainly remove applicable reviews. But it'll greatly complicate things for eBay transactions--lolita suppliers, for instance, and the like
Unread 05-03-2008, 06:12 AM   #758
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanira View Post
This is where things get a little blurry. We accept reviews from eBay wig suppliers and pre-made costume/prop purchases, and sites like Amphigory and Cosworx are very slightly different. They're still a merchant offering a service, and their performance should still be recorded for the sake of prospective customers.
I do understand the weirdness of it, though. If someone offered a review of, say, Hot Topic after purchasing a Vash coat I might be a bit hesitant unless it was an online transaction.
If there are any ever real issues with listing middlemen merchants, I can certainly remove applicable reviews. But it'll greatly complicate things for eBay transactions--lolita suppliers, for instance, and the like
Pre-made costumes and props are one thing. A wig supplier is another. They didn't make anything themselves, you know? :/ I just think it's misleading to have a company like CosWorx in a thread for commissioners.
I mean, wouldn't it be a bit overwhelming? I've had 12 separate transactions with CosWorx that went smoothly -- would it be fair for me to submit my review for all 12 of those times? I was just buying wigs! I wasn't buying a costume somebody made, or a wig somebody styled. I just don't see it.

I think the eBay wig suppliers make a bit more sense, because they're nameless besides their auctions. But sites like CosWorx, Amphigory, or Cyperous, are established. I don't know.

Sorry for making such a big deal over this. I feel silly since it's the site's wig shop and as I said, it probably sounds like I'm only here because of that. I promise I'd cause as much of a stink if it was another company. XD My point is more it doesn't seem to be within the context of the thread. Maybe if there was another thread for things that weren't pre-made or custom items...? Haha. Then reviews for companies would fit.

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)

Last edited by Michi : 05-18-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #759
bunnygirl186
Dangerously Cute

Name of Commissioner: Clueless Case

Website/C.com gallery: http://www.cosplay.com/member/2172

Character commissioned: Yuuko Maid outfit from XXXholic wig only

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: Never received.

Timeline: Paid for it 08-02-2007

Describe your Experience
Had really good communication at first. Stated she had some problems in the beginning. But then stated she was done around christmas time and was getting ready to ship but then I heard nothing and received nothing..I sent multiple emails to both her email and cosplay.com accounts but no luck

Final Grade: F.

SDCC
Scarlet Witch- X-men
Mara Jade- Star Wars
bunnygirl186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2008, 03:08 PM   #760
lunaladyoflight
Glitter Addict

Name of Commissioner: mayurimoom / Southern Moon Creations

Character Commissioned/Series: Sailor Moon - Sailor Moon Odango Shields

Link to Pictures of Commissioned Item: n/a

Turaround Time: 1 week

Pros:Product arrived fast and looked great on the wig.

Cons: The resin gems were too heavy and the glue she used gave out. They broke after 5 minutes of wear. I reassembled them with super glue, they broke at least 4 more times.

Comments: She ships fast but her adhesive isn't up to the task of holding resin. You almost need to glue them with loctite. O.O

Final Grade: C

Last edited by lunaladyoflight : 06-09-2008 at 07:45 PM.
lunaladyoflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2008, 09:01 PM   #761
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Quote:
Pre-made costumes and props are one thing. A wig supplier is another. They didn't make anything themselves, you know? :/
But they did still make the conscious decision to present their customers with the final product; and even, were that inexplicably out of their control, customer service is a recurring theme of an element to make or break the review of a commissioner regardless of end result. They could have the best product in the world that they simply get from an excellent supplier, but if the process of acquiring it is inadequate, shouldn't prospective customers be aware?

Quote:
I just think it's misleading to have a company like CosWorx in a thread for commissioners.
I mean, wouldn't it be a bit overwhelming? I've had 12 separate transactions with CosWorx that went smoothly -- would it be fair for me to submit my review for all 12 of those times? I was just buying wigs! I wasn't buying a costume somebody made, or a wig somebody styled. I just don't see it.
But they are still a business catering to cosplayers. As aforementioned, if a significant issue arises from listing the store, I can remove it, but it's going to open rather unpleasant floodgates of review submission inspection and rejection.

Quote:
I think the eBay wig suppliers make a bit more sense, because they're nameless besides their auctions. But sites like CosWorx, Amphigory, or Cyperous, are established. I don't know.
So...being a business means that they don't deserve praise for good work, or repercussions for failed transactions? Restaurants and hotels are also established businesses, but even they have comment cards and published ratings. Not here, obviously, this is where cosplayers go

Quote:
Sorry for causing such a fuss. *^^* I feel silly since it's the site's wig shop and as I said, it probably sounds like I'm only here because of that. I promise I'd cause as much of a stink if it was another company. XD
The concern is definitely appreciated Though it probably would've been more timely when Cosplaywig (an established vendor that does not commission or individually style wigs, but provides base wigs alongside a reference picture of a character they conveniently resemble; I think their supplier may be Cyperous?) was receiving their reviews.

Quote:
My point is more it doesn't seem to be within the context of the thread. Maybe if there was another thread for things that weren't pre-made or custom items...? Haha. Then reviews for companies would fit.
While quite a real possibility, at the moment it seems like it would just degrade into a battle of the main wig suppliers; while people here would have their reviews moved and those who submit may have them turned away when they do not believe such justifiable, causing more drama than a negative Cosworx review being posted somewhere besides an easily lockable thread

As aforementioned, if there's any reason for justifiable concern, I don't have any problem with moving the review ^^ But at the moment the greater issue would be being unfair to both the reviewer and prospective customers of Cosworx. I'd think an employee of the store would welcome the addition, really Where better a place for all praises and compliments to be catalogued to solidify its reputation?

Edit: Oh, and updated!
Unread 05-04-2008, 12:03 AM   #762
cutekawaii
Cos-BUSINESS

Quote:
But... Cosworx is a shop for a supply company, not a commission site. Is this really applicable here? Otherwise there could be reviews for sites like Amphigory and the like. You bought the wig and are commenting on the service. You didn't commission something specific or buy something custom made, like the thread is for. :/
I agree. The wig wasn't commissioned to be styled, it's just a wig that cosworx bought wholesale from another supplier. This is a commissioner review thread, not storefront review thread <_<
cutekawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2008, 12:09 AM   #763
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutekawaii View Post
I agree. The wig wasn't commissioned to be styled, it's just a wig that cosworx bought wholesale from another supplier. This is a commissioner review thread, not storefront review thread <_<
The very same could be said of lolita supply shops and eBay stores, whose reviews are undisputed. Perhaps a subcategory would be most appropriate? The review relevant, but no concerns for those that might be unable to tell the difference between a commissioner and an "established" vendor
Unread 05-04-2008, 12:17 AM   #764
cutekawaii
Cos-BUSINESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanira View Post
The very same could be said of lolita supply shops and eBay stores, whose reviews are undisputed. Perhaps a subcategory would be most appropriate? The review relevant, but no concerns for those that might be unable to tell the difference between a commissioner and an "established" vendor
Well the issue is about whether or not the product was custom made. If the seller simply bought the item from another vendor, be it a wig or a lolita dress or a Naruto costume, then it's not a commission, it was a simple transaction, and doesn't belong in this thread!
cutekawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2008, 12:24 AM   #765
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutekawaii View Post
Well the issue is about whether or not the product was custom made. If the seller simply bought the item from another vendor, be it a wig or a lolita dress or a Naruto costume, then it's not a commission, it was a simple transaction, and doesn't belong in this thread!
Hence my recommendation of a sub-category ^^ The name "Commissioner" in the title hardly dictates that certain vendors should go unacknowledged for their efforts. If a "Merchant Review" subcategory is too confusing, then certainly a separate thread would be more appropriate, but if a vendor is doing a splendid or very poor job of providing their wares to customers, people deserve to know regardless of whether or not the wares were custom made
And I feel our visitors will be smart enough to know that a listing in the "Merchant" category obviously differs somehow from those in the "Commissioner."