Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photographer's Marketplace

Unread 03-27-2008, 03:24 AM   #1
sklathill
Evident Maniac

Sigma lenses for Nikon @ Amazon

A couple lens deals I came across...

(Because I know most of you don't care about the Sony stuff...!) ^^

Some interesting lenses that are more interesting because they work on film cameras and digital "full-frame" cameras like the old Kodak cameras or the new D3...

The Sigma 15-30 is a very good lens that gives just a bit more wide-angle kick even on typical APS-C sensor size digital cams... and is an ultra-wide angle on film cameras. And it's surprisingly cheap from Amazon... just 240 bucks. I had fun with this lens back in the film days it's a very good lens.

link: http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-15-30mm-...04819& sr=8-4

The Sigma 24-60 2.8 is another interesting lens that works on film cameras while giving a rather decent range on digital SLRs. Given the choice between a 28-70 and a 24-60, I'd go for the extra wide angle, personally. The difference between 24 and 28 is really quite huge, with 24 being an almost decent wide angle on digital, and 28 just isn't. (Actually, that 28mm would be almost exactly a "true normal" defined as the diagonal of the image sensor... and actually that 24-60 would give me a field of view very similar to the 35-80mm that was my very first standard zoom lens... my first zoom lens was actually a 50-135mm 3.5... weird, but I loved that thing. ANYWAYS...)

Back to the lens... that's a really decent lens. I personally though it was a better lens than the Sigma 24-70 2.8 and Minolta 28-75 2.8 / Tamron 28-75 2.8... and at 200, that's a really darn good price for a standard zoom constant 2.8.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-24-60mm-...048 19&sr=8-2

Also, it's on Amazon, but it's sold and shipped buy Cameta Camera... Might be an unfamiliar name, but I've dealt with Cameta a number of times over the last 2 years and find them to be a very good company.

Hope this helped anyone who's interested in expanding the lens collection.
Freelance freelancer: music composing, writing, photographing, and gaming for slightly less than an eternity...
sklathill is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-28-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
VashtehCrampede

Quote:
Originally Posted by sklathill View Post
A couple lens deals I came across...

(Because I know most of you don't care about the Sony stuff...!) ^^

Some interesting lenses that are more interesting because they work on film cameras and digital "full-frame" cameras like the old Kodak cameras or the new D3...

The Sigma 15-30 is a very good lens that gives just a bit more wide-angle kick even on typical APS-C sensor size digital cams... and is an ultra-wide angle on film cameras. And it's surprisingly cheap from Amazon... just 240 bucks. I had fun with this lens back in the film days it's a very good lens.

link: http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-15-30mm-...04819& sr=8-4

The Sigma 24-60 2.8 is another interesting lens that works on film cameras while giving a rather decent range on digital SLRs. Given the choice between a 28-70 and a 24-60, I'd go for the extra wide angle, personally. The difference between 24 and 28 is really quite huge, with 24 being an almost decent wide angle on digital, and 28 just isn't. (Actually, that 28mm would be almost exactly a "true normal" defined as the diagonal of the image sensor... and actually that 24-60 would give me a field of view very similar to the 35-80mm that was my very first standard zoom lens... my first zoom lens was actually a 50-135mm 3.5... weird, but I loved that thing. ANYWAYS...)

Back to the lens... that's a really decent lens. I personally though it was a better lens than the Sigma 24-70 2.8 and Minolta 28-75 2.8 / Tamron 28-75 2.8... and at 200, that's a really darn good price for a standard zoom constant 2.8.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-24-60mm-...048 19&sr=8-2

Also, it's on Amazon, but it's sold and shipped buy Cameta Camera... Might be an unfamiliar name, but I've dealt with Cameta a number of times over the last 2 years and find them to be a very good company.

Hope this helped anyone who's interested in expanding the lens collection.
Id just like to add, that these are both nice lenses, but the 15-30mm has a really large front element, (think prosumer camera, but monstrous lens), and you might be better off with the sigma 18-50mm, as opposed to the 24-60mm, as 36mm really isnt wide in film terms.
18-50: http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-18-50mm-.../dp/B0002P19O4 (its a little bit more expensive, but you'll probably appreciate the wider angle, more than the extra 10mm on the long end :P.
VashtehCrampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2008, 12:25 AM   #3
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

This bears watching, because Nikon will announce their latest collection of lenses over the next couple of months.
Meaning there are going to be many companies dumping some of their older glass to make room for their new glass to compete with the new glass from Nikon.
Obviously, there will be corresponding glass for the Canon sides, too.
I just hope the prices don't get too ridiculous.
TFC

Rules for life: Rule #7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are.
Anime Midwest Anime Chicago Chicago Comicon
Anime Iowa

Last edited by tfcreate : 04-29-2008 at 12:29 AM.
tfcreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2008, 12:37 AM   #4
Tenchi Fan
The PENTAX guy

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfcreate View Post
This bears watching, because Nikon will announce their latest collection of lenses over the next couple of months.
Meaning there are going to be many companies dumping some of their older glass to make room for their new glass to compete with the new glass from Nikon.
Obviously, there will be corresponding glass for the Canon sides, too.
I just hope the prices don't get too ridiculous.
TFC
Canon Price Increase ?
Unread 04-29-2008, 02:27 AM   #5
shiroin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Fan View Post
general economic trend....
shiroin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2008, 09:39 AM   #6
bishop27
Banned

also, it's out here and should be out in the US relatively soon... the Tokina 11-16 2.8 has gotten some really great reviews... sharpness is supposed to be on par with Nikon's new 14-24 but it apparently does have a bit of a CA problem... another down point is the short focal range (11-16).... BUT i don't mind doing some PP to get rid of CAs because this lens is ONE THIRD the price of the 14-24... so one third the price with an easy to fix distortion and just as sharp?!?!?! sounds like a winner to me!

i was supposed to pick one up already but i'm waiting a bit to see if they will have any "used" (brand new but with no warranty)....
bishop27 is offline   Reply With Quote