Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-15-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
Anime_Angel_456

How to make eyes look Big?!

Hi everyone.

If u didn't know I wear glasses. My eyes seem small and I was curious if anyone knows how to make my eyes look big or normal for an American? PLEASE PM me I am going to cosplay as Deidara from Naruto and I don't want to wear my glasses. I know I could use contacts but thats not it. My eyes look weird without my glasses. >.< PLEASE PM ME!!!!!!!!!
Anime_Angel_456 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-15-2007, 08:28 PM   #2
LadiesMan217

well there are certain make-up techniques that could work for you. using lighter eyeliner will make your eyes look bigger than they would if you had a lot of dark or black eye liner. also, there are contacts which are made to actually magnify the actual size of your iris to make your eyes look bigger. if you tweeze your eyebrows back and increase the space between your eyelid and your eyebrow, your eyes will be more apparent and will look larger. it depends on what your specific problem is.
LadiesMan217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 09:02 PM   #3
bakaforce_blond
what

Using brown eyeshadow make your eyes seem a tad larger... How and where to apply it [as well as the hue], however, depend on the shape and size of your eyes. :]

Another useful tip is to use white eyeliner on the lower lid, but don't apply it too harshly, or you'll lose the effect of a wider eye.

[deviantART]

bakaforce_blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 12:41 AM   #4
greyrondo
material girl

If you highlight your browbone, that should make your eyes stand out more, making them appear larger. A thicker top line will also work, like LadiesMan217 suggested. Experimentation is the best trick, though-- you'll find something that works perfectly for your particular eyes.
greyrondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 01:39 AM   #5
kojirojames2004
Ho, ho, ho brother...

Agreed with all of the above.
Unread 12-18-2007, 10:45 AM   #6
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

I have to disagree with some of the above points. Grooming your brows can do wonders for your eyes, but if you don't have experience with it you're better off going to a professional who's experienced in it. People can massacre their brows if they get too tweezer-happy, and that takes a while to grow back.

White eyeliner tends to look a little... well, tacky. A better idea is to choose a slightly shimmery pale shadow like champagne or light gold, and use a little in the inner corners of your eyes. It's much more sophisticated-looking. Definitely do highlight your browbone with a neutral light shadow. There are also tricks using color theory that will help bring out your eye color and make the eyes look bigger-- Almay, I think, makes palettes you can buy in drugstores that are already designed to highlight different eye colors.

Probably the best way to make your eyes look bigger is to curl your lashes with an eyelash curler, add some individual fake lashes (you can also buy these at drugstores or high quality stores like MAC and Sephora), and use about two generous coats of a non-clumpy mascara. Seriously, they'll look twice as large as they do now.

Hope that helps,
Penny
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 12:02 PM   #7
FaeandMerfolk
Costumed in Wyckedness

To make them look bigger, avoid lining the eye at all because it tends to close them more, no matter what color or where you line. To create the illussion that the entire eye area is larger you need to gently shade the entire eyelid. Shaping the arch of your eyebrows does indeed help, but also use a highlight color, the lightest you have to underline the brow bone just below your brow.

It helps if you shade Medium color on the lid, darker in the crease and lightest at the brow bone. This will give an effect that brings the eye out more.

If you want to have definition that liner gives, without using the harsh lines of liner that tends to make them smaller, try usuing the meduim shade from the lid, or the dark shadow from the middle and gently blend it along your bottom lash line.

Your eye will pop!

That's my $0.02 worth,
Fae

Why yes, I am the Supreme Ruler of All Awesomeness!

Oklahoma Cosplayers Forum Communicate with Oklahoma Cosplayers and learn about our monthly events.

Director of Special Events at Izumicon www.Izumicon.com
Member of the Always Dreaming Cosplay Association And FoxMoon Productions
www.Myspace.com/CostumedWyckedness
Costume List Found Here
FaeandMerfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
Opium_Roses

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd contribute. I've had a bit of experience with theater makeup and eye makeup was my business so here it goes.

A good way to get your eyes to open up more: light pink eyeliner and black mascara. The light pink eyeliner you only apply to the bottom eyelid right behind the eyelashes, like you would with regular eyeliner. If you find this too hard for you to do, which is the case for some people because of the way their eyes are, then a little bit in the corner of the eye near the nose helps. I find that putting it on both points of the eye actually does the opposite and narrows your eyes down. It's very subtle, but it's done wonders to open eyes up and make them seem wider and more innocent.

The mascara helps to pop the lashes. If it's during the day, use a smaller amount of mascara. At night, I would use more since it's darker out and harder to see the little details like that. Night makeup is usually thicker and a little heavier, trying to show more in less light. After applying the mascara, get out the chunky bits and separate the lashed with a comb and then curl them.

Another trick, which may not be appropriate for all occassions, but a little makeup glitter in the corner of the eye (the part closer to the nose) helps too. Something like a little gold or pink. DO NOT USE WHITE. I can't emphasize this enough, white is tacky on the eyes unless it's used as an undertone on eye shadow. White eye shadow is okay in moderation. Application of white eye shadow should be done as an undertone to pop other colors on the lid or a curve, a thin one, directly above the eye lid to widen the eyes. I only recommend using white eye shadow when using light/pastel colors on your eyes (i.e. light blue, pink, light purple, yellow, etc.).

I find that if you're going for opening the eyes, eye shadow in general should be a no-go. I think that it weighs the lids down too much. Simplicity is your friend.

New words for old help.
-Opium
+Miyavi::.Jibun Kakumei
+Aoi::.Disorder Tour
Opium_Roses is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2008, 06:41 PM   #9
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opium_Roses View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd contribute. I've had a bit of experience with theater makeup and eye makeup was my business so here it goes.

A good way to get your eyes to open up more: light pink eyeliner and black mascara. The light pink eyeliner you only apply to the bottom eyelid right behind the eyelashes, like you would with regular eyeliner. If you find this too hard for you to do, which is the case for some people because of the way their eyes are, then a little bit in the corner of the eye near the nose helps. I find that putting it on both points of the eye actually does the opposite and narrows your eyes down. It's very subtle, but it's done wonders to open eyes up and make them seem wider and more innocent.

The mascara helps to pop the lashes. If it's during the day, use a smaller amount of mascara. At night, I would use more since it's darker out and harder to see the little details like that. Night makeup is usually thicker and a little heavier, trying to show more in less light. After applying the mascara, get out the chunky bits and separate the lashed with a comb and then curl them.

Another trick, which may not be appropriate for all occassions, but a little makeup glitter in the corner of the eye (the part closer to the nose) helps too. Something like a little gold or pink. DO NOT USE WHITE. I can't emphasize this enough, white is tacky on the eyes unless it's used as an undertone on eye shadow. White eye shadow is okay in moderation. Application of white eye shadow should be done as an undertone to pop other colors on the lid or a curve, a thin one, directly above the eye lid to widen the eyes. I only recommend using white eye shadow when using light/pastel colors on your eyes (i.e. light blue, pink, light purple, yellow, etc.).

I find that if you're going for opening the eyes, eye shadow in general should be a no-go. I think that it weighs the lids down too much. Simplicity is your friend.

New words for old help.
-Opium
eekers! i has a question for you about white eyeshadow! i use it as a highlight for my eyebrow. is that okay? i have tanned skin so i thought it would be since it takes a lot of pigment to show up on me... is it?
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2008, 11:46 PM   #10
Opium_Roses

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySiren View Post
eekers! i has a question for you about white eyeshadow! i use it as a highlight for my eyebrow. is that okay? i have tanned skin so i thought it would be since it takes a lot of pigment to show up on me... is it?
It should be fine, just don't pack it on so you look like a panda. o_o;; Too much can be dangerous business. A light coating to extend the eyelids is fine though.
+Miyavi::.Jibun Kakumei
+Aoi::.Disorder Tour
Opium_Roses is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2008, 03:33 AM   #11
Pomps

Unhappy

Okay so I'm Asian (but that doesn't mean i don't know how to put makeup on Caucasian eyes) and this is what i do to get my eyes to look big. First, I don't emphasize on putting a lot of eyeliner on (although a moderate amount would be appropriate) but putting lots of mascara on, if you do want to put eyeliner on then please use the smudging technique to make the eyeliner look more subtle ( Putting on lots of eyeliner actually makes your eyes look smaller). When applying mascara what you want to do is make sure you curled your eye lashes in the proper position. What you want to do is curl your eye lashes as close as possible to your eye then curl them again halfway down through your eyelash (This method is to help secure the eyelashes from "de curling" themselves once you add the mascara). Second, if you really want to make them seem bigger add a little bit of white eyeliner to the outer edges of the eyes (not too much otherwise you're going to look like the girl from the grudge ).
Third, usually this step depends on your eye color..... to be straight forward, if your eyes are blue put on eyeshadow that is darker such as brown ( the reason for this is because shades that are the opposite color from what your natural eye colors are, make your natural colors look brighter. For example: if see the color white set next to the color black, you're going to notice a big color difference so if you set your blue eyes in with a darker shade it's going to poke out more and seem like it's bigger). The same goes for dark brown eyes except instead of using dark brown eyeshadow you'd use white eyeshadow to make your eyes look bigger. I hope this might help a little this is what i usually do with my eyes, but it may not be the tip for everyone though

Last edited by Pomps : 05-13-2008 at 03:39 AM.
Pomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2008, 10:11 AM   #12
tyciol

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojirojames2004 View Post
Agreed with all of the above.
Yes, so do I, the above has my agreements.
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2008, 07:22 AM   #13
Hello Nozzy
fujoshi beeeeaaam!

I would still recommend eyeliner, but only either directly or practically right on the upper lashline. It'll make your lashes appear fuller and open up the eye a bit. It isn't necessary to line the entire length of the eye, just doing the outer 1/2 is good enough.

If you've got a nice, smudgeproof mascara, you could also try putting a coat on your lower lashes.
Hello Nozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2008, 08:32 PM   #14
limey_cricket

Use this. It is lovely and wunderbar.
limey_cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2008, 03:17 PM   #15
ArtsyFartsy
Breeder of the Domokuns

http://www.xanga.com/RiceBunny/59752...-tutorial.html

here's a tutorial for that by the lovely Michelle Phan for making your eyes appear larger using make-up.