Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 160 votes, 4.89 average.
Unread 05-17-2008, 02:57 AM   #1
danayoki

Rude cosplay comments?

Hmms, well I thought this would be a fun idea...since I am a lil' bored right now ^_^
I was just wondering if anyone had had any rude cosplay comments that somebody said to them. Maybe not on Cosplay.com but in cons or out in the public ^__^

So umms....when I was buying zips for my Kairi cosplay, I sorta took out the zips for coats and jackets...this lady saw me and asked me what I was using them for. I said a dress, and she told me to use the thinner zips made for dresses. I told her that this dress is going to be made into a cosplay, and I started telling her what it is, and she just plainly ignored me. She sorta said "whatever you say" and walked away o_0
What about you?

Last edited by danayoki : 04-25-2010 at 11:44 PM.
danayoki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-17-2008, 02:59 AM   #2
Katsumiyo
Homework Vigilante

That's not so bad; she just didn't know that Kingdom Hearts has ridiculously enormous zippers. Though she seemed a little offensive, I think she was just trying to help.
In Progress | Vault 34 Jumpsuit | Sniper Wolf
Planned | Catwoman | Snow White
Cons | ALA | AOD | Cherry Blossom Festival | Fanime
Katsumiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 03:25 AM   #3
Tallus
Koitsu wa, ore no BANKAI!

Did you try to explain that huge zippers were part of the outside design? That they weren't meant to be as much functional as they are decorative? I've had to go so far as to draw stuff for people sometimes.

As for comments I've received myself...I think the absolute worst was the mocking tone I got from a Starbucks chick once. I was with a friend, on the way to an arcade, and I was wearing the strap between my knees that Iori Yagami wears (King of Fighters, the very game we were going to play there.) We stopped at a Starbucks and the first thing I get is a cocked eyebrow and a "Why are you wearing that?"

"Homage to a video game character I'm going to use in half an hour to beat this fool senseless." *thumb to my friend*

She still laughed awkwardly. I think people need to get out more and realize there's more to life than "omg....shoes" and purses and American Idol.
Tallus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 07:46 AM   #4
SanaK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallus View Post
Did you try to explain that huge zippers were part of the outside design? That they weren't meant to be as much functional as they are decorative? I've had to go so far as to draw stuff for people sometimes.

As for comments I've received myself...I think the absolute worst was the mocking tone I got from a Starbucks chick once. I was with a friend, on the way to an arcade, and I was wearing the strap between my knees that Iori Yagami wears (King of Fighters, the very game we were going to play there.) We stopped at a Starbucks and the first thing I get is a cocked eyebrow and a "Why are you wearing that?"

"Homage to a video game character I'm going to use in half an hour to beat this fool senseless." *thumb to my friend*

She still laughed awkwardly. I think people need to get out more and realize there's more to life than "omg....shoes" and purses and American Idol.

Hahahahahaha. I've gotten so used to workers in restaurants, food courts and the like that I can't remember, but I'm sure they gawk. One time, someone told me I looked like crap.
SanaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 07:54 AM   #5
kowaipanda

I was attending a convention but I didn't cosplay. I was sitting and drawing on a table and I overhead a group of guys chatting.
guy 1- did you take her picture?
guy 2 - no... her face was ugly... only her hair is pretty.
*both guys laugh

O.0! guess this rude conversation wasn't for my ears... but that's pretty mean!
kowaipanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 08:26 AM   #6
aliceinbox
starvin cosplayer T_T

last time at a convention me, my friend and bunch of other cosplayer were walker on the side walk couple guys drove by and yelled "freaks"
i found that very rude >.> they don't even have the guts to say it to our face
Unread 05-17-2008, 09:22 AM   #7
ItsIna
It's Ina

That sucks that she just plain ignored you. x_x It wasn't exactly a comment, but it was a rude gesture on it's own.

Anyway, I don't think I've gotten any rude comments, since I've only cosplayed... three times so far? xD I'm sure I definitely got at least a few somewhere along the line, but I usually just forget about it and don't let it bother me if they were just being rude for the sake of being rude.
ItsIna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
radioheart
eat the rich

"Isn't it too early for Halloween?"

Anime North 2014

Friday: Breakfast Princess - Adventure Time
Friday night: Leela - Futurama
Saturday: Cruella de Vil - 101 Dalmations (1950's Pinup Version)
Sunday: Leela - Futurama

Need makeup done at a reasonable price?
www.tabithapaxton.com

radioheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 10:50 AM   #9
kuko-chan
Waterbender Extraodinaire

There was one time I was walking to a J-pop dance in the heart of Toronto's downtown club district and there was a Sasuke cosplay walking a bit ahead of me. As I passed by a couple of bouncers in front of another club, I overheard one of them saying "Doesn't that guy [Sasuke] look like a giant Pepsi can?" and they both started snickering. I hate how people feel the need to make snide comments about complete strangers. Geez...
Although it did give me an idea for when I have to cosplay Sasuke next weekend. I'm going to be deliberately carrying a can of Pepsi around pretending I'm a spokesperson or something. Sometimes you just gotta laugh WITH them to make yourself feel better.
Unread 05-17-2008, 10:50 AM   #10
Ashbrie
SUDDENLY MIRACLE TRAIN!

I've been called fat, ugly, and been ridiculed for really minor costume details on sites outside of cosplay.com. Eh, what can ya do?

I remember this one time at a con, my friends and I were waiting for an elevator in a hotel. I think we were dressed as....our Medusa costumes? I think. And a hotel worker was came up and started talking to us in this really blatently condesending tone, asking us stuff like "What superpowers do you guys have?" and "Did you guys see Goku? Was Goku there?" since that was obviously the only anime he's ever heard of.

I think I said something like, "Oh, DBZ isn't very popular at these conventions ^____^" which...isn't entirely true, but it confused the hell out of him and shut him up. Ahaha...

Other than that, as far as I know, I haven't been mocked at cons or anything. At least not to my face. >_>;;

Edit to add: Oh yeah, I've definitely heard "It's not halloween!" type comments too. OH HO, HOW ORIGINAL~

Last edited by Ashbrie : 05-17-2008 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Afterthought
Ashbrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 10:58 AM   #11
radioheart
eat the rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnEdibleSeed View Post
Edit to add: Oh yeah, I've definitely heard "It's not halloween!" type comments too. OH HO, HOW ORIGINAL~
I know. They think they're so witty.
One time when I was in Wal Mart, I was walking around with a wing on and a witch hat, because I wanted to see if they were okay (plus, I was going to buy them) and some lady was like, "Isn't it too early for Halloween?"
Me: "Well, if it's early, why do you still have your mask on?"
Shut her up. XD
I know, it was sorta mean, but it just came out.

Anime North 2014

Friday: Breakfast Princess - Adventure Time
Friday night: Leela - Futurama
Saturday: Cruella de Vil - 101 Dalmations (1950's Pinup Version)
Sunday: Leela - Futurama

Need makeup done at a reasonable price?
www.tabithapaxton.com

radioheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 11:12 AM   #12
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallus View Post
I'm not sure that only total ditzes would inquire as to why any sensible person would go around wearing a strap between their pantlegs. :P

If you're going to go out in public looking abnormal, people are going to treat you as if you're abnormal. It's something that cosplayers need to either accept or deal with in an appropriate and civil manner.

Yes, I've gotten comments before, but you learn to take them in stride. After all, wearing a fur-trimmed coat and polyester pants and carrying around some kind of crazy wizard staff doesn't exactly make me look like a respectable member of society, and I don't expect to be treated like one while wearing it. Yes, "cosplayers are people too," but everyone knows that if you're not conforming to societal norms or expectations (and this goes for attire), you won't be treated with as much respect as someone who does. Although it is a bit disconcerting that conformity is considered crucial enough that someone would notice something as minor as an oddly positioned strap on your pants, sometimes people can't help but laugh awkwardly when obscure references or hobbies are explained to them, and I wouldn't hold it against them.
Angathol is evolving!
Congratulations! Your Angathol evolved into Independent Badass!
Future Costumes: Deedlit : Record of Lodoss War | Saber : Fate/Stay Night | Aya Shameimaru : Touhou Project | Nozomu Itoshiki : Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

Last edited by Angathol : 05-17-2008 at 11:21 AM.
Angathol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #13
LegendaryCouple
There are two people

There were two that I can remember. One was said about my friend, another almost got a guy decked.
The first one, I was doing a group cosplay. We did a fun little tweek with two of the characters and j-rocked and lolita-ed them somewhat. Well, as I was walking by, I heard someone mutter "I don't understand why she's cosplaying with failures like that." I stopped, glared at the person, and stormed off. I was very upset with that whole ordeal.
The second one happened at Comicon 2007. There was a booth babe for the Quentin Terintino (forgive my spelling. I'm not much of a director person) that was an actual amputee with the gun as her leg. I was so amazed at the fact that she was willing to being in the public's eye, knowing full well that everyone was looking at her lack of leg. As I was floored at her guts, I heard a guy, rather loudly, say "They have the gun on the wrong leg."
Er..wait.. what??? I'm sorry, let's cut off her other leg, replace the old one, and put the gun on the new stump! I almost decked him for being heartless like that.
LegendaryCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 11:45 AM   #14
Ashbrie
SUDDENLY MIRACLE TRAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioheart View Post
I know. They think they're so witty.
One time when I was in Wal Mart, I was walking around with a wing on and a witch hat, because I wanted to see if they were okay (plus, I was going to buy them) and some lady was like, "Isn't it too early for Halloween?"
Me: "Well, if it's early, why do you still have your mask on?"
Shut her up. XD
I know, it was sorta mean, but it just came out.
Hahaha Ouch~

I find it kind of weird that I have only received these kind of comments while there is a con going on, and not the one time I cosplayed in my own home town for no reason.

Then again, I only did it once, and I live in a super-hippie-liberal town with a lot of crazy stores and stuff. Heck, Rikku and Paine running around town is normal compared to some of our more wild crossdressers! ^^

Blah and now I'm slightly getting off topic. What I'm trying to say is: if you really have the urge to run around in cosplay for no reason but don't want to be harassed a lot, find yourself a hippie-liberal town :P LOL
Unread 05-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #15
Rock nam Lee
Saiyan Photographer

I think I might've had one or two comments at cons, but they were nothing big or offensive really... Though people making rude comments on the internet somewhere, and there's a number of people from this website that like to be part of that...
Rock nam Lee is offline   Reply With Quote