Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Cosplay Newbies

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-28-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
Ursula
Ursula the sexy sea witch

how do u make a good ursula costume

any ideas for me im a newbie
Poor unfortunate souls its sad so true they come flaying to my cludron crying spells ursula please and i help them yes i do. Now it's happened once or twice someone coudldn't pay the price and im afraid i had to rake cross the cols. but on a whole i've been a sanit to those pr unfortunate souls!!!!!!!

Unread 05-28-2008, 02:49 PM   #2
abominableerror

xDD
Are you looking for something along the broadway costume or something closer to the movie?
Unread 05-28-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
Ursula

ursula costume

movie
Poor unfortunate souls its sad so true they come flaying to my cludron crying spells ursula please and i help them yes i do. Now it's happened once or twice someone coudldn't pay the price and im afraid i had to rake cross the cols. but on a whole i've been a sanit to those pr unfortunate souls!!!!!!!
Unread 05-28-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
KittyCanuck
Ph.D. in Horribleness

Here's a couple tips to help you out on Cosplay.com:

1. Post a reference image of the costume you want to do. While Ursula is a popular character, not everyone knows who she is or remembers exactly what she looks like.

2. Let us know exactly what parts of the costume you need help with. What have you tried so far, and what are you having problems with?
For example if you are looking for pattern ideas to modify into the bodice, ask for that, if you're looking for suggestions on how to make the tentacles stay up, ask for that. The more specific you are, the better people can help you! ^_^

<---- I'm the dinosaur, not the dude.
Unread 05-28-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
Ursula

this is my frist time making a ursula costume any seggestions
Unread 05-28-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
KittyCanuck
Ph.D. in Horribleness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
this is my frist time making a ursula costume any seggestions
Yes, my post right above yours listed 2 suggestions for you.

<---- I'm the dinosaur, not the dude.
Unread 05-28-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
Ursula

i want it to kind resemble my avatar
Unread 05-28-2008, 03:35 PM   #8
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Now try KittyCanuck's #2 suggestion?
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Unread 05-28-2008, 03:38 PM   #9
Ursula

i cant keep the legs on the body they keep falling off and i cant find a wig to go with the costume
Unread 05-28-2008, 04:19 PM   #10
o01101011
Just call me Digit

what are the legs made out of? How are you attaching them? Giving details about what you have done, and what you have yet to do, might help people....a lot. Detailed posts are your friend when needing to know how to do something.
Unread 05-28-2008, 04:50 PM   #11
strawberrykitte
Justice will previal

I know someone who did an amazing job cosplaying as Ursula her name is Crazy Flower. Look her up and check out her pictures. If you like what you see, you can try pming her and polietly ask her for her advice. I'm sure she will be happy to help you out if you do that.
Italy- Hetalia
" Sing from your heart, no matter what the consequences, Love who you want and be who you wish to be, Live for you and all those around you, Share your love with the world."

Unread 05-29-2008, 04:07 PM   #12
abominableerror

I can't really help you out that much with the movie one, but here are some videos of...um....drag queens play Ursula.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OViZVf8Lnv0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijAqcNIRXDw

....yeah.

Anywhoo, it looks as if they both made the tentacles out of the same fabric used for the bodess part and attached a dress to hang out as a disguise.
Unread 05-29-2008, 05:04 PM   #13
Crazy Flower
C-Flo in the Hi-zouse!!

Since I've already been mentioned, I might as well throw some tips in.

I will warn you right now, movie Ursula is hard. The two things you will need is money and time. Sewing skills are a plus, but that can be learned. It's not a costume to be done quickly. Mine took about 4 months and at least $300.

Like KittyCanuck said, the first things you need are reference pictures. (plural) One picture is not going to be enough, especially if you want all angles. Taking a video and screen-capping it will do as well, but you need several angles to see how things are going to work out.

Two, as also mentioned beforehand, details are important. Describing your problem in one sentence is not going to help people who want to help your problem. What would also help, is if you had a picture of progress to see your problem directly. I can't help you unless you tell me what you need help with.

Three, there's the issue of practibility. In the movie, her tentacles are her legs. It can be applied by one of two ways: the first way is doing it the way that the video in the post above me shows, putting the tentacles about waist high and using the skirt to move in. The second is attaching the tentacles around the ankles and inhibiting movement, but going for a more accurate look. This limits your options and you have to consider weight around the legs.

So, if you are interested, people here are going to need a detailed responce of what you're having problems with. (Pictures of your problem is a plus, but not required) Then we can see about how to apply it to your costume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyHawke78 View Post
C-Flo and her magical behind...
THE WORLD'S BEST SUPERPOWER!!!

Last edited by Crazy Flower : 05-29-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Unread 05-29-2008, 06:18 PM   #14
Moon_Fish

You'll have to be more specific on WHAT you need help with. Don't just expect a whole walk through. Like Crazy Flower mention above, movie Ursula is hard, my friend (Also an ursula cosplayer) and I found that out halfway into the costume so decided to change the disign and go with the broadway design, but still use some elements from the movie like the colors and the wig.
I will say this though, be sure you are committed to doing this and you have the experience, don't spend a ton on the supplies and then decide you don't want to do it anymore or find out that you can't do it.
Shampoo ~ Ranma 1/2
Giroro pj's ~ SGT Frog
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2011
Seishun Con 2011?
Dragon Con 2011
AWA XVII