Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Cosplay Newbies

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-14-2008, 03:34 AM   #1
ViewtifulV
opposite of BAMF

Too revealing?

I'm aware that a lot of girls like to dress down for conventions, but I was wondering what do you consider too revealing?

I want to be Talim from Soul Calibur IV, but the problem is her pants... They're completely see through, showing her underwear :OOO Too risque?

ref pic = http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/5479/talimiaf8.jpg

SEKIJITSU

If anyone sees me at AX, say "hi"! ;D even though you probably won't know who I am...

Last edited by ViewtifulV : 07-15-2008 at 12:40 AM.

Unread 07-14-2008, 09:02 PM   #2
Roi-chan
[♥] Roi

o: I never noticed that, and I was totally planning to be Talim, too!

Hm, it may be a bit too revealing, though. Perhaps if a modification was made? Like turning the underwear into shorts?

Working On;

Tohru Honda (Fruits Basket) 0%, Anise Tatlin (Tales of the Abyss) 0%

Planning

Talim (Soul Calibur II)
Meredy (Tales of Eternia)

Considering

Black Rose (.hack//Legend of the Twilight Bracelet)
Unread 07-14-2008, 09:34 PM   #3
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

I wouldn't consider that too revealing, provided that it was clear the underwear underneath wasn't actually the cosplayer's underwear. And that the rest of the costume was made of sturdy opaque fabric and well-sewn.

It's an odd thing--the better-quality your costume is, in terms of sewing and embellishment materials and type of fabric, the less you risk looking 'slutty'.
Revealing + crap = cheap attention whore; revealing + quality = confidence.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Unread 07-14-2008, 10:00 PM   #4
Elke
The Bad Guy

Many athletes (esp. cheerleaders) use a product commonly called spankies. They're basically underwear that you wear over your underwear. They come in a wide variety of colors. You'll usually find the bright colors associated with cheering gear, but if you want a pastel (which I would recommend based on the character design) you might try the women's running section at your local sports store.

But yeah, with something like that underneath I wouldn't expect people to be offended. It's really a matter of what *you're* comfortable with.
Unread 07-15-2008, 01:22 AM   #5
Ashleythedragon

As long as you do the costume really well most people will appreciate it and think it's awesome, take my mom (who can be a bit too prudish at times) for example. She saw an amazingly well done (Accurate) Thief Rikku, and thought that she was a super model or something. She said to me "She's so beautiful, her costume is really good. I wish I could tell her with ought looking weird." So if the costume looks fantastic you don't look like a slut. (Of course there are those rude exceptions of people who will hate your outfit no matter what.) Long story short the skimpier the costume needs the most work, and, most importantly, itís all up to what you feel comfortable with. If a costumes too revealing for you, you donít have to do it. (After all no ones forcing us to dress up in cosplay, right?)
Unread 07-15-2008, 02:37 AM   #6
FaeandMerfolk
Costumed in Wyckedness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post

It's an odd thing--the better-quality your costume is, in terms of sewing and embellishment materials and type of fabric, the less you risk looking 'slutty'.
Revealing + crap = cheap attention whore; revealing + quality = confidence.
Mango, I like the way you said that. It totally works.

I've also found that in the "revealing" department of con costumes that they complain and ban more people for a secure under boob showing (no matter how taped in those puppies are) than they do someone wearing something cut so low it's almost showing their naughty bits.

It's all about perception. Example, my Burst Angel costume is Cut-off Chaps and panties ( which I wear other panties underneath because I feel less exposed that way lol) but yet Sei from Burst Angel usually get's kicked out because her top shows the underside of her breasts. She wears more clothes than my character does. It's all about perception and depends highly on whether the constaffer is having a bad day or not. lol

Why yes, I am the Supreme Ruler of All Awesomeness!

Oklahoma Cosplayers Forum Communicate with Oklahoma Cosplayers and learn about our monthly events.

Director of Special Events at Izumicon www.Izumicon.com
Member of the Always Dreaming Cosplay Association And FoxMoon Productions
www.Myspace.com/CostumedWyckedness
Costume List Found Here
Unread 07-15-2008, 04:53 AM   #7
Doryuu_Kun123

you could just not have see through pants. since its close to white not see through you can go with that. people will still know who you are. but it matters if you choose you want see through.
Unread 07-15-2008, 09:10 AM   #8
FumikoSan
Shooting Star

She reminds me of a Dancer/Gypsy from Ragnarok Online ^^ So, I think it's ok, if you use quality fabrics!
Waiting List: Mayuri 50% ☆ Yukiko 50% ☆ Nayuki 40% ☆ Haruhi (Ultra Hero) 20%
Planned: Rena
Unread 07-15-2008, 10:21 AM   #9
o01101011
Just call me Digit

(another reference that shows the bottoms better
http://www.soulcaliburuniverse.com/i...nshots/163.jpg )

Obviously it is going to be based on your comfort level, but you will be showing less then the average bathingsuit would so I don't think people will consider it at all slutty, especially since it isn't just a random thrown together costume. I've gone to cons in the past where girls have simply come in fishnets and their underwear...I don't know why, but they did.

Clearly the underwear for this piece could be changed to be a bit more covering. You could even make it more decorative/covering by having the normal place the band sits and then making a second set of straps to be the ones that go up over the hip bone. That way you can choose however much you want to be covered(even short shorts if they're form fitting) and still have the same effect.
Unread 07-15-2008, 11:45 AM   #10
FaeandMerfolk
Costumed in Wyckedness

They are harem pants. A lot of harem pants have the "underwear" sewn to them either on the inside attached at the waist or outside as part of the pants so that the legs are the only thing that really show.

Think I Dream of Jeanie. Same type of pants (which was very risque for the time). The level of sheerness is up to you. You can pick a material that is completely sheer so you can see it all, or just sheer enough that you get a hint of skin tone and a band around the leg.

Why yes, I am the Supreme Ruler of All Awesomeness!

Oklahoma Cosplayers Forum Communicate with Oklahoma Cosplayers and learn about our monthly events.

Director of Special Events at Izumicon www.Izumicon.com
Member of the Always Dreaming Cosplay Association And FoxMoon Productions
www.Myspace.com/CostumedWyckedness
Costume List Found Here
Unread 07-15-2008, 07:28 PM   #11
LaurenBANG
POW!

I don't think you have to much to worry about. Like Mango said the more accurate and good quality is the less you have to worry about. This past year I did berserker rikku and I was clad in a bikini....barely. Knowing that it was revealing I spent a good 6 months working on the costume and I got nothing but compliments.

Just make sure you do a good job on the costume and your set, or make modifications if your still unsure.

Aya Brea - Parasite eve 3rd birthday
San - Princess Mononoke
Zephie - Magna Carta 2
Sorceress Edea - Final Fantasy VIII
Belle - Beauty and the beast

Deviantart||
Would you like your makeup done for a con!? Or maybe even want a prop commission!?? contact/PM me!!
Unread 07-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #12
ViewtifulV
opposite of BAMF

Wow, thanks everyone~! *o* Since I'm a swimmer and a constant beach-goer, my comfort level is pretty tolerant with anything, but I was mainly worried about what other people would think XDDD

What you guys said makes a lot of sense~ I'll just have to be extra careful when picking out my materials and work extra hard on this~

SEKIJITSU

If anyone sees me at AX, say "hi"! ;D even though you probably won't know who I am...
Unread 07-16-2008, 03:53 PM   #13
CezzaXV
OOOH! SHOCK TREATMENT!

I dont think you have much to worry about with that costume, since you're wearing trousers over the top of it, even if they are see through. It's still less revealing than your average thief Rikku, and that cosplay's much more common than the one you're doing.
Unread 07-18-2008, 05:44 AM   #14
Srayb_Aniar
Ninja Rave Nurse

Maybe some skin-colored shorts under the 'underwear' would work.
If the pants are more translucent than transparent that should work.
Unread 07-18-2008, 07:50 AM   #15
mookie-moo

I totally want to cosplay as Yoko from TTGL, but seeing as how I'm 16, I'm pretty sure I'd either be arrested, or cause someone else to be arrested. Also, my parents would lock me in a basement. So. I know how you feel.