Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-24-2008, 02:17 AM   #1
Juego
Do you want a 2nd opinion

Watchmen: movie and comic

Since there's no current thread and the movie preview just hit the theaters, I thought I'd start something up!

So, who is putting together Watchmen stuff?

I know it may become an overdone costume, but I've decided to put together a Rorschach cosplay before the movie is released. I'm basing most of it on his outfit at the end of the comics -- outside the base -- though I may take a few color cues from the movie photos that have been released so far.

I've got all the clothing on its way and plan to appropriately weather and bloody things up -- just about every Rorschach I've seen so far is too clean! While I wait for things to arrive, I'm doing some little accessories - the sugar cubes and calling cards.

Hopefully I can throw this together before Otakon, but it may have to wait for D*C.

So, anyone else? Especially if anyone is brave enough to do Dr. Manhattan (and not wuss out and wear a tux ), lol.

Unread 07-24-2008, 06:17 AM   #2
Ironekilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juego View Post
Since there's no current thread and the movie preview just hit the theaters, I thought I'd start something up!

So, who is putting together Watchmen stuff?
I don't have time to do it this year for DC, but my boyfriend and I are planning on cosplaying Silk Spectre and NightOwl (comic versions not movie versions) for next DC. He's never cosplayed before and I aim to corrupt him.

I'll be on the lookout for your Rorschach and any other Watchmen costumers though.
Unread 07-24-2008, 07:02 AM   #3
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

And what an awesome preview it was! I've not read the comic...though my hubby and I own it. I'm afraid if I read the comic, I'll hate the movie no matter how kick ass it is. ><

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Done/Working On/Pattern/Not started

Pants Tunic Dickie Surcoat Armor Boots Belt Wig
Check out my new facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/kesracosplay
Kesra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2008, 08:49 AM   #4
insight_blue

Oh good topic! I've been thinking of cosplaying Watchmen ever since the preview came out. I'm a girl, but Rorschach is one of my favorite characters ever, and I'm debating cosplaying him at Megacon. I'm glad others are thinking the same thing. I'd love to see Watchmen cosplay!!
Tokiko Tsumura - Buso Renkin
Chrona - Soul Eater

Planned Conventions:
Megacon 2009
Jacon 2009
AFO 2009
insight_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2008, 10:14 AM   #5
Juego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironekilz View Post
I don't have time to do it this year for DC, but my boyfriend and I are planning on cosplaying Silk Spectre and NightOwl (comic versions not movie versions) for next DC. He's never cosplayed before and I aim to corrupt him.
YES! As much as I liked the movie trailer, I was rather disappointed in seeing what I consider too "modern" costumes for Night Owl and Silk Spectre. Clashes a bit with the 80s setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radleia View Post
And what an awesome preview it was! I've not read the comic...though my hubby and I own it. I'm afraid if I read the comic, I'll hate the movie no matter how kick ass it is. ><
Read it! And then, read it again! Seriously, it kicks enough ass to stand on its own if the movie sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insight_blue View Post
I've been thinking of cosplaying Watchmen ever since the preview came out. I'm a girl, but Rorschach is one of my favorite characters ever, and I'm debating cosplaying him at Megacon.
Go for it -- by nature of his costume design, he's an easy enough crossplay (guess it helps that he is short, too, lol). Then we can be dueling Rorschachs. And um, have a sugar cube eating contest or something. Hurrrr...
Unread 07-24-2008, 10:21 AM   #6
insight_blue

That would be excellent!

I really think he would be easy enough for a girl to do because he is short, and your face and hair are totally covered, so you don't have to worry about looking too girly.
Tokiko Tsumura - Buso Renkin
Chrona - Soul Eater

Planned Conventions:
Megacon 2009
Jacon 2009
AFO 2009
insight_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2008, 05:02 AM   #7
Juego

Well, I learned today that it takes 2 RIT dye (dark brown) cycles in the washer to get a 50/50 cotton/polyester trench to the same tan shade that's in the comic. I've got a before/after pic here.

Next, I'm fine-tuning the grunge/age job on the wardrobe, then will take care of the mask and small props I intend to bring. (No grappling gun this time...)
Unread 07-31-2008, 06:16 AM   #8
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

Quote:
Read it! And then, read it again! Seriously, it kicks enough ass to stand on its own if the movie sucks.

I fully expect the comic to rule...I'm just afraid of the fact that if the movie is awesome, I'll be too blinded by the bias of how seriously awesome the comic was that the movie would never live up to it.

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Done/Working On/Pattern/Not started

Pants Tunic Dickie Surcoat Armor Boots Belt Wig
Check out my new facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/kesracosplay
Kesra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2008, 06:34 AM   #9
Ironekilz

Quote:
YES! As much as I liked the movie trailer, I was rather disappointed in seeing what I consider too "modern" costumes for Night Owl and Silk Spectre. Clashes a bit with the 80s setting.
I was especially disappointed in Night Owl's Batman-esque costume, but maybe they'll look more appropriate in the context of the movie.

Anyway, nice job on the coat! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished version.
Unread 07-31-2008, 09:12 AM   #10
aavlee

I've been seriously considering going Dr. Manhattan for Wondercon... Maybe for the Masquerade? Haha, not sure if I have the guts to shave my head though. A bald cap might be an option... I think I'd opt out of the speedo and go for maybe some fitted shorts. The big question is footwear, maybe some sandals?

Last edited by aavlee : 07-31-2008 at 09:18 AM.
aavlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2008, 10:07 AM   #11
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Ha ha, I was wondering when one of these was going to show up. A little surprised it wasn't sooner!

Not actually doing any Watchmen costumes but I'm hoping to see some quality costumes come out as a result of the movie. The Silk Spectre and Night Owl costumes may not suit the 80's aesthetic, but with any luck some people will choose to do the comic costumes instead.

And if you haven't read it-- read it! Even if you wait until after the movie, and I'm pretty certain the movie can't capture all the little nuances of the comic, it is absolutely a classic and deserves your attention.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2008, 12:24 PM   #12
Juego

Quote:
Originally Posted by aavlee View Post
I've been seriously considering going Dr. Manhattan for Wondercon... Maybe for the Masquerade? Haha, not sure if I have the guts to shave my head though. A bald cap might be an option... I think I'd opt out of the speedo and go for maybe some fitted shorts. The big question is footwear, maybe some sandals?
If you flip through the comic, you'll see that Dr. M's "costume" devolves from a full bodysuit to total nudity. There's probably a variation somewhere that suits your modesty.

I'm always impressed when people go the distance to shave their head... but if you go the bald cap, be very careful to blend in that seam and make sure your body makeup matches well.

As for footwear, check the comic -- he might have shoes at one point, though I think Dr. M ditched footwear once he got to the shorts stage of his incredible shrinking outfit. If you go flipflops, look for (or alter) some in blue. And then take them off for photos?
Unread 07-31-2008, 01:23 PM   #13
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
As for footwear, check the comic -- he might have shoes at one point, though I think Dr. M ditched footwear once he got to the shorts stage of his incredible shrinking outfit. If you go flipflops, look for (or alter) some in blue. And then take them off for photos?
Yeah, I'm always a little iffy about going barefoot when you don't have to. It's... not the best option for anyone involved. So flip flops! You can always kick them behind you for pictures, and if someone catches you before you can get them off... hey, at least they match.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
Unread 07-31-2008, 01:29 PM   #14
Juego

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
Yeah, I'm always a little iffy about going barefoot when you don't have to. It's... not the best option for anyone involved. So flip flops! You can always kick them behind you for pictures, and if someone catches you before you can get them off... hey, at least they match.
Yeah, ditto on barefoot when it isn't the beach or whatever. But ever since this question has popped up, I can't get the image of Dr. Manhattan wearing blue jelly flip-flops/sandals out of my head.

Just... just for the love of god, no crocs! I don't care if they come in blue!
Unread 07-31-2008, 01:41 PM   #15
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Yeah, ditto on barefoot when it isn't the beach or whatever. But ever since this question has popped up, I can't get the image of Dr. Manhattan wearing blue jelly flip-flops/sandals out of my head.

Just... just for the love of god, no crocs! I don't care if they come in blue!
NO CROCS EVER.

Although now that it's also in my head, I'm trying really really hard not to picture Dr. Manhattan in those jellies I thought were the most amazing shoes ever when I was like five... Possibly it would look something like this?