Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 07-21-2008, 07:45 PM   #1
hinata-hime

hello sailor!

Hehehe, you guys have got to be sick of me and my disturbing themes by now.
past ones:
irish - ended up looking kinda tap-dancer-esque.
German- lets not go there
scottish- was yummy, I got paid in strawberries for pictures!

anyways, I am back, but this one was inspired by something more than my heritage and crazy ideas. Well, both my brothers are Navy, my mother is retired navy but still kind of works for it. My grandfather is retired coast gaurd, my uncle is retired army and several of my cousins have gone into the army now. With this so close nit in my family (we're all pretty tight together) I'll move on to the big thing. My great grandfather, who was very important to my mother, was NAVY, a sailor, and it's approaching her birthday and his death-anniversery.

I wanted to do a sailor loli for her more than anything, she's pretty wiped out around both dates, and I want to do cheer her up.

-I was wondering about what you guys would do for colors, I'm thinking like yellow, Navy blue, and white? or that and like, a black wool kind of style jacket? you know, resembling the style of their pea-coats?
-also I was wondering about hat/bow thing, Which would be better, a hat sort of like the sailor hats? or a like a navy colored bow?
-And shoes? I was going to wear my combat boots (they are my mom's old ones, still nice and shiny, and they are ankle boots.), or should I just find like a pair of mary-janes?
-Also, this may seem funny, I was thinking about adding the kneck peice, though it may seem a bit 'school uniform' ish, my brother (whom I'm staying with right now) When he wears his whites, it's pretty much a big peice of it (not that you can take it off anyways, but...) So, kneck thing? no neck thing?

I'm kind of on edge about this because of all the family and stuff, so my mind has been blank when it comes to it. Sorry if some of these seem really silly.
hinata-hime is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-22-2008, 12:39 AM   #2
Meiki

Sailor Lolita is pretty damn common actually, so you're not crazy! Here's a guide: http://community.livejournal.com/egl/3330572.html And here are some examples ganked from my own personal stash:

One
Two
Three
Four(the back of the previous outfit)
Five
Six
Seven
Eight(An example without the traditional sailor-collar look)
Nine(More pirate than sailor I guess, but still sea fairing, and it shows off that hat)
Ten
Eleven(A little more school girl, but an alternative color combo)

-I like the traditional navy x white myself, or black x white, simple and classic. You could do a pea-coat, it might be a good idea depending on what time of year you wear it.
-I like tiny sailor hats! They're so cute! But you could also wear it with normal lolita-style hair accessories as well, it's pretty much up to you!
-Hm...I'd almost say that could go either way as well. I prefer more typically loli footwear myself, but you could probably get away with the boots.
-I like the sailor collars, it makes them instantly recognizable as sailor-themed. But again, it's a personal choice, the eighth example is a really good example of how to go for a more subdued sailor look.
Meiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2008, 10:00 AM   #3
*Le*

well Meiki pretty much said everything.

I donít have much to add except my opinion on your shoes.

I would suggest dont wear combat boots. boots are fine, but not combat boots, it'll just kill the whole outfit. Try something more girly (for lack of a better word) ^_^
*Le* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2008, 10:19 AM   #4
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

You can sometimes find cute nautical-inspired shoes at Pin-Up Girl. Rose Chocolat also has a variety of really cute shoes, although there's nothing that really screams "sailor" in there. I wouldn't go with combat boots, either: they don't fit either the nautical or the lolita aesthetic.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2008, 06:29 PM   #5
TheLadySummoner
LaLiLuLeLo?

I feel like Victorian style lace up boots would look cute with a sailor lolita. Something like these:
http://www.amazon.com/Victorian-Leat.../dp/B000E90AZW
~Operetta - Monster High

Planned Costumes:
~Princess Zelda - Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
~Madoka Kaname school uniform - Puella Magi Madoka Magica
TheLadySummoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2008, 11:02 PM   #6
kalasha

Has anyone seen the sailor outfit on the back of GLB #1 in English?
Where is that from?
kalasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2008, 12:00 AM   #7
Kaimana Scarlet
I needz frills moar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalasha View Post
Has anyone seen the sailor outfit on the back of GLB #1 in English?
Where is that from?
I know the left hand one is Milky Ange

I'm not sure about the other one
Halloween skirt: 50%
BlackxWhite Lolita w/ parasol: 100%
Kaimana Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2008, 12:43 AM   #8
Meiki

I think the other was Metamorphose, someone totally correct me if I'm wrong though.
Meiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2008, 03:50 PM   #9
hinata-hime

Danke! Hehe, the only thing I was a little... annoyed with on the lj guide was that they all look like school-uniform kind of things, but they do kind of help. Thanks for the help though!

Ladysummoner: Those really would work (well something sort of like that) so I think I'm going to... alter my combat boots a little! YAY!

Danke!
hinata-hime is offline   Reply With Quote