Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 09-03-2008, 01:53 AM   #1
Jequila
Too busy

Shaved head look with makeup.

Ok, so I'm planning a Sokka cosplay.
Sokka: http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/6...12sokkagg0.jpg

I've decided I'm going to use a baldcap and create a lace hair piece for his strip of hair, so I've got that all covered... my only issue is the sides of his head that look like they've been shaved and have a 5 o'clock shadow. Is this look achievable with makeup? I've looked around and found some stuff about a stipple sponge or something, but I'm not sure if that will create the right effect. Anyone in the know about this kind of stuff? While we're at it, I'm super pale and looking at body paints. I've read the threads and was thinking of using Kryolan Aquacolour, but I'm not sure which colour... Or would it be better to try and find a dark foundation?
Jequila is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-03-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
Phantomtango1
www.phantomonabudget.com

A stipple sponge is great for creating a quick stubble, but it will be two dimensional. If you want a three dimensional look, you will have to cut up some crepe hair into very, very small bits, use a thin layer of liquid latex or spirit gum on the bald cap, and pat the bits of hair onto the adhesive using a brush. However, since you're covering a large area of the bald cap, you may find it more practical to just use a stipple sponge and makeup.

How much skin are you looking to cover? Face? Arms/hands/legs? If just your face, it's easy enough to pick up a darker shade of foundation.
Unread 09-04-2008, 02:10 AM   #3
Jequila
Too busy

Is there anywhere online where I can order the crepe hair? I'm willing to go all out for this one Would latex or spirit gum be better to use? I imagine spirit gum might look a little shiny if exposed... but I'm not sure.

Face, neck and depending on which costume I decide to do, some chest and arms. Definitely hands either way though.
Unread 09-06-2008, 01:00 AM   #4
hooraytheweird
Bad Wolf

You can buy crepe hair at any party store that sells costuming. Since it's getting close to Halloween it's possible that the seasonal (read: much better) are open, but if not, your local Party Boy should have crepe hair. If worse comes to worse, go to a Joann's or a Michaels or a Hobby Lobby and buy fake fur and use that.

In the works:

Kaoru, Ouran High School Host Club (98%) [premiered at Oni-Con '08]
Steampunk Costume, clothes (35%), equipment/props (45%) [most likely to premiere at Steam-Con San Antonio '09]

"I manned up and ate those damn wasabi balls!" "...You manned up and cried too."
hooraytheweird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2008, 04:18 AM   #5
Jequila
Too busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooraytheweird View Post
You can buy crepe hair at any party store that sells costuming. Since it's getting close to Halloween it's possible that the seasonal (read: much better) are open, but if not, your local Party Boy should have crepe hair. If worse comes to worse, go to a Joann's or a Michaels or a Hobby Lobby and buy fake fur and use that.
Ahh~ I live in Australia :'D those don't exist here. Party stores are also very limited... we don't even get those great scarecrow fangs that everywhere seems to have over there in the US. I guess I'll phone around.
Unread 09-06-2008, 01:52 PM   #6
Phantomtango1
www.phantomonabudget.com

If you can buy online, there are so many choices it's ridiculous:
Google search: crepe hair