Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-10-2008, 01:04 AM   #1
Dango!
Perverted Milk Tea Fiend

Corsets!

Alright, I hope this is the right place to ask this.

I've been looking into making a corset for my cosplay, but apparently corsets are not the easiest things in the world to make. >_>' The boning scares me since I cannot do that sexually or costuming-wise.

So is there are place/commisioner who can make a good, white corset that happens to (magically) be under 100 dollars? 200 dollars?

Thanks guys. <3
Dango! is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2008, 05:39 AM   #2
Elycium
Applique ate my soul

That depends a lot on the style of corset you're going for, but this website has some nice ones. http://www.timeless-trends.com/silkcorsets.htm
Unread 09-10-2008, 09:11 AM   #3
Goddess Iduna

If you still want to try and make one yourself, corsetmaking.com has all the supplies you need.

I second timeless-trends. But if you want an over bust corset, you're better off making one yourself, because you won't be able to find one under $200. And if you do, it'll probably be poor quality.
Goddess Iduna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
chaosgoat
sassy seamtress

My mother used to make corsets for Victorian era costumes... From watching her construct them, I'll go ahead and say unless you have a lot of time and patience, I'd just buy one. There are a number of sites that have reasonably priced, decent quality corsets online.
chaosgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
DeathOfSoul
Epic Mustache

On Threadbangers they have a simple corset making tutorial (no boning needed). Just not sure if you can use how they made their's to look like the one you need. Good luck!

Tumblr

(Wow what a bad SN. I made it up several years ago and thought it sounded cool. |D Oops.)
DeathOfSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #6
Dango!
Perverted Milk Tea Fiend

@DeathOfSoul: :'D That's perfect! Thank you! Boning makes me sad. xD I'm sure I can alter it so it's just for my ribs and not for my boobs. :'3

@All: thanks for all your help too. :'3
Dango! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 09:48 PM   #7
DeathOfSoul
Epic Mustache

No problem ^^ I'm happy I was able to help.

Tumblr

(Wow what a bad SN. I made it up several years ago and thought it sounded cool. |D Oops.)
Unread 09-14-2008, 02:53 AM   #8
chrysalis
Lurker....

Are there any other sites for corsets that are worth recommending?
Unread 09-30-2008, 10:33 PM   #9
Emi's_Rage

http://darkdiy.blogspot.com/search/label/corset

has a REALLY good tutorial on making an "under the bust" corset.
Oh, and as a reference, the "Xiphoid" ares she mentions is the area underneath the middle of your cleaveage.

There ya'are!

Awesome posum!
Emi's_Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2008, 07:07 AM   #10
sanriochica333

Ahh craftster has a corset tuturoial http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=122286.0 it uses the idea of boning though with hard plastic ~o~

And good luck
sanriochica333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2008, 12:48 PM   #11
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathOfSoul View Post
On Threadbangers they have a simple corset making tutorial (no boning needed). Just not sure if you can use how they made their's to look like the one you need. Good luck!
Sorry to say, but that's not really a corset; it's just a lace-up bodice. Unless you only care about the lace-up look it's useless, as without boning (and with those dinky one-piece eyelets) it won't give any shaping or support.

For shaping and support you MUST have boning. The best is steel boning; plastic can work but it often warps and deforms with body heat so it is not ideal. A good quality steel-boned corset (that will smooth your shape, reduce your waist and support the bust) will usually run you $150 at the absolute minimum.

Boning shouldn't be scary; you're basically just sewing a long narrow pocket or channel and then inserting the bone. The easiest way to do this is to fold over the seam allowances and stitch them down to make a boning channel.

The corsetmakers LJ community is a great resource; check their memories for all sorts of info.
http://community.livejournal.com/corsetmakers/profile

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2008, 07:09 PM   #12
Sephirayne
Ranger from the North

Hi, just came across the thread. So Happens that I make corsets. I'll be starting my corset business in the new year and I'm willing to take on commissions. All mine will be done with steel boning so it will give you the support you need. If you are after just a basic corest then I might be willing to make you a deal for one thats $200 (not including postage).

If you are interested please pm me.
Sephiroth(Dissidia FF and Classic) - Abel Nightroad(Empire, Early AX white jacket, AX Artbook and Gold Armour with BOOK O' DOOOMM) - Cain Nightroad(Trinity Blood Artbook) - Madam Red and Undertaker(Kuroshitsuji) - Lucius Malfoy (Harry Potter films) - Legolas(Lord of The Rings Films) -

Trinity Blood - when one Nightroad is never enough. Experience it for yourself today!
Sephirayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2008, 01:46 AM   #13
DeathOfSoul
Epic Mustache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasm-hime View Post
Sorry to say, but that's not really a corset; it's just a lace-up bodice. Unless you only care about the lace-up look it's useless, as without boning (and with those dinky one-piece eyelets) it won't give any shaping or support.
I understand that, but since it was just for a cosplay, and I didn't think she would mind not having to shape her body, I thought it would suffice. >.>

Tumblr

Unread 10-02-2008, 05:43 PM   #14
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

NP, sometimes people need shaping depending on their figures and didn't know if the OP was looking for decorative or functional, so just wanted to clarify. Sorry if it came across harsh.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2008, 11:45 PM   #15
DeathOfSoul
Epic Mustache

Oh, not at all. I understood ^^ I just wanted to clarify why I posted what I did.

Tumblr