Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Costume-Con

Unread 10-01-2008, 12:31 AM   #1
KwEeNofKoRn

Arrow Thinking about attending?

My group and I are thinking about attending this con.

What makes CC fun and a great con? What are the most fun activities? How is the experience? Is it a con you would highly recommend?

Unread 10-01-2008, 01:10 PM   #2
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

I'm a bit biased, but IMO if you're nuts about making costumes it's the BEST CON EVAR.

It's all costumes, all the time. Some features:

- multiple masquerades (regular sci-fi/fantasy/everything else masquerade, historical masquerade, single pattern competition, fashion design runway show and competition)
- awesome themed parties every night
- almost everyone is in fantastic costumes 24/7
- tons of really interesting panels and workshops (this past year included lacemaking, hatmaking, electronics for costumes, leatherworking, movable wings, Chinese Opera costumes, sari-wearing, Elizabethan costume, and lots more).

There's also various tours before and after the con (usually Thursday and/or Monday/Tuesday), to local attractions and fabric stores.

CC is seriously my favourite convention. Everybody is so fun and friendly and very welcoming to new faces. It's fairly small, so there's a real community feel, and it's fairly low-key and relaxing despite everybody rushing to get their costumes done for the various masquerades. XD

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
trixyloupwolf
A LONELY kitty

^^;; i would go if i knew how to go there ^^;;

and had some friend with me ^^^;;

i love costume
you guy are sooo lucky ^^

were no one is...there i should hide and awaite.....
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...1_edited-2.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...600x120-v4.jpg
trixyloupwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
KwEeNofKoRn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasm-hime View Post
I'm a bit biased, but IMO if you're nuts about making costumes it's the BEST CON EVAR.

It's all costumes, all the time. Some features:

- multiple masquerades (regular sci-fi/fantasy/everything else masquerade, historical masquerade, single pattern competition, fashion design runway show and competition)
- awesome themed parties every night
- almost everyone is in fantastic costumes 24/7
- tons of really interesting panels and workshops (this past year included lacemaking, hatmaking, electronics for costumes, leatherworking, movable wings, Chinese Opera costumes, sari-wearing, Elizabethan costume, and lots more).

There's also various tours before and after the con (usually Thursday and/or Monday/Tuesday), to local attractions and fabric stores.

CC is seriously my favourite convention. Everybody is so fun and friendly and very welcoming to new faces. It's fairly small, so there's a real community feel, and it's fairly low-key and relaxing despite everybody rushing to get their costumes done for the various masquerades. XD
Thank you very much! That definitely will help us decide! And can you wear any costume at this con? Or is it specific styles?
Unread 10-01-2008, 09:43 PM   #5
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Anything you want. It doesn't matter if most people there don't know who you're dressed as, they're all about the costume. We wore obscure Suikoden IV costumes there two years ago and got fawned on because I made armor and swords and the others had all this detail on their costumes.

It is a much more mature crowd than any anime con you've ever been to, though, so be prepared. No squeeing fangirls running through the hallways trying to get boys to kiss so they can go "oo yaoi!" (and may I say, thank god for that)

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2008, 09:50 PM   #6
KwEeNofKoRn

Ok thanks!

And a more mature atmosphere with no loud annoying fangirl brats?! Oh man we may just attend now! xD
Unread 10-01-2008, 11:14 PM   #7
kairislife
resting in the moonlight

im going!!!

but not to glout but i get in free tho.... it going to be my first year there!

sry 4 miss spelled wrds typing on the wii
kairislife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2008, 01:27 AM   #8
RaDragon76
Outlaw Robin

The thing I enjoy about this con is that everyone is really interested in costuming and it doesn't matter what type of costume your wearing. The other plus for me is the fact that the crowd is much more mature than the crowds at anime conventions and the panels are great too. Hope you decide to come.
Unread 10-21-2008, 01:47 AM   #9
KwEeNofKoRn

Well its looking to be like a really great con! If we all are able to, we are definitely going!
Unread 10-22-2008, 02:37 PM   #10
MithLuin

It's very local for me, so I am looking forward to going I'm a little nervous to take an amateur-looking costume there, since.....well, yeah. But I like that it's open to all fandoms.
Saturday: C.C., kendoka (hakama/gi)
Sunday: ???

Costumes:
Trisha Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist) worn at: Katsucon 2008, 2010, AnimeNEXT 2008, 2009, Anime USA 2009, Otakon 2012

C. C. (Code Geass) - cart version from end of R2.
worn at: Katsucon 2010, Otakon 2012

Costume In Progress
Seras Victoria (Hellsing Ultimate) Pink Seras at Anime USA 2009

mithluin.livejournal.com
MithLuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2008, 10:47 PM   #11
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

I want to emphasize to people that you don't have to be afraid of going to Costume-Con even if you don't have the most super sparkly Awesome Costume to End All Costumes. XD It's a really inspiring, fun con even if you're just wearing comfy hall costumes and learning stuff, hanging out and going to parties.

Don't feel pressure! I didn't compete at my first CC, and I still had a fantastic time.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2008, 08:11 PM   #12
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Same here. I thought it would be intimidating, but it was nothing but laid-back and friendly. Everybody was so cool! And I actually took notes at panels. NOTES. I learned stuff!

Looking back, I feel rather silly for being even the slightest bit intimidated about competing. I'm totally competing in 09, and I may do more than one competition in 10 since it's in my backyard! But even if you don't compete and just want to stare at all the pretty costumes, you're in good company. We're all going to appreciate costumes, learn about costumes, and show off costumes, whether we're novices or masters.

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
Unread 10-23-2008, 09:31 PM   #13
RaDragon76
Outlaw Robin

Don't worry about it at all. I was scared to death when I attended my first Costume Con but quickly found out there was nothing to worry about at all. The people are friendly, very interested in costumes and are, in general, very accepting of anyone in any type of costume. You'll learn tons at the panels and have a great time I'm sure. You don't have to compete or anything just enjoy the costumes around you and ask questions if you've a mind too. The people won't bite and they'll be happy to answer your questions.
Unread 10-28-2008, 11:49 PM   #14
LadyoftheThread
stitcher of fantasies

Hope itís okay if I add some questions here. :-) Iím excited that Costume Con is finally close enough for me to attend next year but since Iíve never been to one before, I was wondering about how some things work.

One of the things I'm curious about is how scheduling is for the con. When do events usually start happening on the first day and end on the last day? Iím trying to decide if I should arrive a day in advance and/or stay until Monday.

Also, Iíve looked over the masquerade rules and was wondering about the divisions. I think I remember once reading in a thread somewhere on cosplay.com that contests at anime cons are considered regional. And that divisions there are independent of divisions at Costume Con and World Con masquerades, which are considered international, so you can start again at novice. Is that correct?

Iíve won a lot of craftsmanship awards (mostly from hall contests for craftsmanship only rather than masquerades) and compete at Masters/Craftsman level at anime cons. But having seen some photos from this yearís Costume Con, I highly doubt Iím ready for that level at Costume Con, especially if I wanted to try the Historical Masquerade. ^_^; Thereís still a lot of things I havenít tried yet (for example, I still havenít attempted a corset or hoopskirt although Iím planning a costume with those for next year).
Next conventions: Anime Boston 2011, Costume Con 29
LadyoftheThread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 07:19 PM   #15
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Oh man! It'll be great to see you in Baltimore, LadyoftheThread!

I've only been to one so I can only speak to that one...programming started mid-late afternoon Friday and there was not a ton of programming on Monday, but there were field trips to local costume/sewing related tours on Monday. But considering that Sat and Sun are FULL DAYS, it's always worth it to try to make it for the whole thing. And then there's the Friday Night Social.

As far as skill divisions? Email the director. Easiest way to clear it up, just in case each director has a slightly different take on how to weight your awards. They'll probably be happy to encourage you to compete up a level since that's always legal to do, but I was in the same boat as you last time I asked - I didn't WANT to be in Master yet, I was just verifying that I was Journeyman. I know I can compete in Master if I really wanted to, but I don't want to! Not yet!