Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-05-2008, 04:00 PM   #1
yokotei
Overthinker

linen vs. linen look fabric?

looking at the jo-ann website, they offer linen and amaretto linen-look fabric. is there any differences beside price?

i'm interested cause i bought the wrong color/wrong fabric for a pleated skirt :P
NYAF
Zenkaikon
yokotei is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2008, 05:46 PM   #2
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

"Linen-look" is going to be some kind of synthetic blend. Looking at the Amaretto brand, it is 50% poly, 50% rayon. It may look like linen, but it probably won't behave exactly the same way or be as comfortable to wear.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2008, 02:46 AM   #3
Satine

Ick, basically "linen look" means it's a bit slubby and nubbly with an uneven weave and maybe a few pills. Basically what good quality linen doesn't look like

If you want a fabric to have that nubbly effect and be less prone to crushing then the fake stuff is the way to go. However if you are after linen because of the other properties (breathes and is comfortable to wear) then go for the linen.
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
yokotei
Overthinker

sounds like one of those ugly tweed suit-coat things. except not as sturdy :P

i'm definitely going for the crisp look. thanks for the advice.
NYAF
Zenkaikon
Unread 10-06-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
_Kumi-chan_
Rumiko Takahashi fangirl

Amaretto is actually an excellent fabric to work with if you're not interested in spending $15 a yard on your material and you're looking for a particular style of woven. The pants for my Shampoo costume and for my boyfriend's Romeo!Ranma were both made from amaretto. It drapes nicely, isn't too heavy, and doesn't tend to wrinkle easily. I didn't notice issues with it breathing, though I assume similarly-weighted linen would breathe better.
A friend of mine used it for her traditional Japanese style top, and it turned out fantastic. I've also seen it used to make Howl's coat (Howl's Moving Castle, the lavender and pink one).

I wouldn't use it for pleating, though. It's hard to press sharp creases in it (helps keep the wrinkles away, at least.) It's too soft. I wouldn't necessarily use linen either, just because it's so expensive and you can get less expensive, nice quality fabrics that will pleat well. But that's up to you and how much you want to spend.
The top in my avatar is made from linen, and I can say that I'm glad I spent the money. That was partly a case of necessity, though; I couldn't find anything in the right color and weave except that particular linen.
Next up...
In Prog./Upcoming: Various groups/projects/upgrades Ranma 1/2
The Mirror Card Captor Sakura Rapunzel Tangled EVE WALL-E
Tenchi & Ryoko Tenchi Muyo! Parn & Deedlit Record of Lodoss War

Last edited by _Kumi-chan_ : 10-06-2008 at 10:30 AM.
_Kumi-chan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2008, 08:13 PM   #6
Bahzi
Hi gaiz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kumi-chan_ View Post
Amaretto is actually an excellent fabric to work with if you're not interested in spending $15 a yard on your material and you're looking for a particular style of woven. The pants for my Shampoo costume and for my boyfriend's Romeo!Ranma were both made from amaretto. It drapes nicely, isn't too heavy, and doesn't tend to wrinkle easily. I didn't notice issues with it breathing, though I assume similarly-weighted linen would breathe better.
A friend of mine used it for her traditional Japanese style top, and it turned out fantastic. I've also seen it used to make Howl's coat (Howl's Moving Castle, the lavender and pink one).

I wouldn't use it for pleating, though. It's hard to press sharp creases in it (helps keep the wrinkles away, at least.) It's too soft. I wouldn't necessarily use linen either, just because it's so expensive and you can get less expensive, nice quality fabrics that will pleat well. But that's up to you and how much you want to spend.
The top in my avatar is made from linen, and I can say that I'm glad I spent the money. That was partly a case of necessity, though; I couldn't find anything in the right color and weave except that particular linen.
Seconding, I like the Amaretto linen-look fabrics, particularly because it's a blend and doesn't wrinkle a lot. They come in some nice colors too, and as said above, they drape nicely. Most of them aren't 'nubbly' IMO, in fact, sometimes I can't tell which is linen and which is the Amaretto when people put them back in the wrong spot until I un-drape the bolt and look at the label.

Also, off-topic, but NICE Ashitaka Kumi-chan! <3
Bahzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2008, 11:41 AM   #7
yokotei
Overthinker

well, i can definitely keep that in mind for some other projects, but right now i'm looking for something that will pleat well ( school girl skirts= death and rebirth)
NYAF
Zenkaikon
Unread 10-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #8
RaDragon76
Outlaw Robin

I favor linen over linen-look myself. Linen holds pleats well and you can iron nice sharp ones into it. The only problem with linen is that it wrinkles like mad but as long as you have access to an iron that is only a temporary problem.