Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 11-09-2008, 10:16 PM   #1
cgmangotiger
28:06:42:12

HELP! [Identifying pattern and design for costume]

I really want to make Blind Mag's costume from "Repo: The Genetic Opera" during the song "Chase the Morning" (and I have REF pics to show) but am having the hardest time with fabric and design. Since the pictures aren't the brightest, I can't figure out what she's wearing.

The pattern either looks floral or a design similar to THIS! As for the design, I'm not sure if she's wearing a type of surcoat with the waist designed like a corset that ties, leaving an opening in the middle, and a black corset underneath with a black skirt... Or if the dress is one piece with a corset over.

I've been looking for hours and am shot!

Your help is highly and greatly appreciated.

REF PICS:
1: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...splay/40-1.jpg
2: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...cosplay/41.jpg
3: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lay/file-2.jpg
4: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lay/maghd3.jpg
5: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lay/maghd6.jpg
cgmangotiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-10-2008, 12:27 AM   #2
goblinqueen
Sexy Shoeless God[dess]

It is a dress with a corset, though I can't be sure of what the pattern looks like on the dress.
I would do a search on Alex Kavanagh, the costume designer. She's more then likely to dicussed her concepts in interviews. Things like the time periods that influenced her will give a huge clue as to what fabrics and designs she used.
Unread 11-10-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
alterationsbyem

Hello, I am doing the cosplay for Miss Sweet Poison. For this cosplay I would recommend doing McCalls 5232, using the scoop neck pattern and making it floor length. Adding some detail for the front opening corset look and some detail at the top. For the "cape type object" I would do something along the lines of this...

Lets start in the middle, the corset, for an easy not so real corset you can use McCall 4952, its a pirate pattern but the corset is a good base. Using pattern McCall 4997 use the skirt of this to get your drama, attach it to the corset as needed. Next is tricky. Using the Bolero jacket pattern from McCall Pattern 4450 elongate the boddice, alot, make the coat and then pin to the corset, cut excess. Attach the the hood from Pattern Butterick 4050, altering the patter for a longer, layed down hood.

Fabric is key for this. Look right now to find the perfect spiderweb, its probably on sale now.

Makeup, wig and contacts you are good to go.

Let me know if you have any questions. Good Luck!
Unread 11-10-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
cgmangotiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblinqueen View Post
I would do a search on Alex Kavanagh, the costume designer.
Ah, I didn't know that. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alterationsbyem View Post
Hello, I am doing the cosplay for Miss Sweet Poison. For this cosplay I would recommend doing McCalls 5232, using the scoop neck pattern and making it floor length. Adding some detail for the front opening corset look and some detail at the top. For the "cape type object" I would do something along the lines of this...
Wow, thank you for this information and all the patterns! That's really informative!

I see that you do commissions, and since you seem to know what you're doing, out of curiosity, what would you charge for making this?

I can definitely do the underdress no problem, (since it looks like a corset and skirt) but it's the coat that's difficult.
Unread 01-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #5
Deadlikeme22

Hello there I'm also creating this costume for a convention in August and have found the pattern pieces that were suggested great but if your like me and like things a little simpler Ive found a way to make it work. If you join the Repo! The Genetic Opera Forum there is a posting of this outfit in the visual creation sections (under Nathans at home outfit) With this you will see that the dress is actually a rope that is a dark purple snake skin (the texture is stretch velvet) that has a corset on the outside of the robe and the inside, its also appears to have a zipper which stops under the bust line.

now for the patterns, simplicity 5840 (the blue robe on your top left) is the closest cape/rope pattern with sleeves that is workable, the sleeves are too large and will have to be made tighter (just measure your arm and go from there) The hood will have to be enlarged (a mock up will help) now getting a huge zipper, this is optional of course but will keep with the original design

The underneath corset is hard to see but is most likely laced up in the back or has a side zipper, it is boned in the very front but I think you could go any way with this one.

the outer corset is the only actually black piece on the dress and consists of a shiny detail in the front then goes to a dull black for the rest of the piece, the pattern is simplicity's 2847 Its kinda hard to see but "D" and "E" wear a short front tied corset that stops under the bust line and before the waist. as for your legs and feet, I'm not to sure about that, you could wear an under skirt of dress, good luck fabric hunting and I hope is all goes well,

cheers!
Deadlikeme22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
cgmangotiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadlikeme22 View Post
Hello there I'm also creating this costume for a convention in August and have found the pattern pieces that were suggested great but if your like me and like things a little simpler Ive found a way to make it work. If you join the Repo! The Genetic Opera Forum there is a posting of this outfit in the visual creation sections (under Nathans at home outfit) With this you will see that the dress is actually a rope that is a dark purple snake skin (the texture is stretch velvet) that has a corset on the outside of the robe and the inside, its also appears to have a zipper which stops under the bust line.

now for the patterns, simplicity 5840 (the blue robe on your top left) is the closest cape/rope pattern with sleeves that is workable, the sleeves are too large and will have to be made tighter (just measure your arm and go from there) The hood will have to be enlarged (a mock up will help) now getting a huge zipper, this is optional of course but will keep with the original design

The underneath corset is hard to see but is most likely laced up in the back or has a side zipper, it is boned in the very front but I think you could go any way with this one.

the outer corset is the only actually black piece on the dress and consists of a shiny detail in the front then goes to a dull black for the rest of the piece, the pattern is simplicity's 2847 Its kinda hard to see but "D" and "E" wear a short front tied corset that stops under the bust line and before the waist. as for your legs and feet, I'm not to sure about that, you could wear an under skirt of dress, good luck fabric hunting and I hope is all goes well,

cheers!
Yeah, I am a part of the Repo boards and Alex talked with me personally about the costume. The simplicity pattern will work perfectly and is a lot easier to work with other than having to talk multiple patterns and sewing those together. Since I'm not a great sewer, the easier the better. And elongating the hood shouldn't be a problem, the arms I might need my mom's help (She'll have to help with regardless.)

For fabric, the closest I could find was; http://www.denverfabrics.com/catalog...px?ItmID=PP880 (What do you think?) And for the corset, I was planning on getting a clincher with hoops.

And thank you for your help!
Unread 12-15-2009, 08:27 PM   #7
ldrmas

Hello

Wow you got a lot of replys from people who really know what they are doing, that's great! I would love to see the costume when it is finished. Please wish me luck as well cause I'm going to try my own hand at this, so let's hope for the best.
ldrmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2010, 06:50 PM   #8
Vanar Bloodmire

the Fabric of her coat

the fabric is a shinny floral/geommetric patteren i took a image and brightened so i could tell my friend so that i could make the coat for her.

hope this helps
Vanar Bloodmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #9
MikuChu
perfect with cookies

its kinda hard to see the pictures ^_^;; but im guessing either of these could work for it:
[x]
[x]
MikuChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
pigtailedgirl99
Pigtailedigirl99

Not sure if this thread is still active, but here is the fabric for the cloak.

http://www.denverfabrics.com/catalog...x?ItmID=DDD352

If you want more info and assistance, check out www.repo-opera.com and hop on the boards. They are extremely helpful and there is a ton of reference pics and construction tips there.
Hope your CTM Blind Mag is coming together!!

Andi S.
pigtailedgirl99 is offline   Reply With Quote