Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 98 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-12-2008, 08:48 PM   #1
Kirotighta
Lolita Apologist

Official "Is this Lolita?" Thread

From looking through this forum I find a lot of posts asking "Is this lolita?" And I myself have posted one. I thought it would be nice to have a thread specifically for those questions, that way we needn't clutter the forum with them. If I knew how, I'd ask for this to be made a sticky and become the official thread, but I don't know how to, so if one of you does, please do so. ^_^

I'll start.

This dress is a nice quality, and is obviously just begging for a petty coat, so I think it would be possible to alter it to a lovely lolita dress. However, I am very concerned about the pattern. I've never seen a lolita in that type of pattern, and I'm worried that altering it would be pointless.

Last edited by Kirotighta : 11-25-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Kirotighta is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-12-2008, 09:12 PM   #2
secretmirror180
From Planet Korin

First off, I think this thread is great. It really saves clutter and should be sticky-ed.

Now on the the dress. It should be okay with some altering. The pattern itself is very nice and is okay with lolita.

I think it might be a bit long, but that might just be the photo and my bad estimation skills. The lace is kind of strange and sort of looks cheap. I suggest getting rid of it and maybe putting a smaller (like 3/4 of an inch or smaller) black cluny lace in it's place.

The waist also seems a bit low, but that could be since I think the dress is really long. The lace on the collar, however just looks tacky IMO and shoud just be taken off completely if you don't alter the cut.

The collar is really oddly shaped. Is it triangular? I suggest getting rid of it all together and making the top square cut.

Zelda (30%), Shampoo Neko-hanten(90%), Akihabara maid outfit
Plus a kajillion outfits & wigs for friends & family...-_-

---
One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other. - Jane Austen
secretmirror180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2008, 10:45 PM   #3
Kirotighta
Lolita Apologist

It sounds like more trouble than its worth lol Thankfully I had the thought to ask experienced lolita opinion before I decided to bid on it.
Unread 11-13-2008, 05:23 PM   #4
meisaiho
Mei

I'm not a professional opinioner ^^; but I say go for it! I really like this patterning, and with some alterations and ideas, who knows what great results may come from it.
meisaiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 03:26 PM   #5
chaosgoat
sassy seamtress

Is that vintage? Because it's screaming "1950s Cocktail" to me and I would have to hunt you down for altering it in any major way :P

But in seriousness, the pattern would be fine for Lolita, but the cut of the top part of the dress looks all wrong.
chaosgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2008, 05:21 PM   #6
Kirotighta
Lolita Apologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosgoat View Post
Is that vintage? Because it's screaming "1950s Cocktail" to me and I would have to hunt you down for altering it in any major way :P

But in seriousness, the pattern would be fine for Lolita, but the cut of the top part of the dress looks all wrong.
It is vintage, actually, but I didn't bid on it, so don't worry, I won't be doing anything to it lol
Unread 11-16-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
Kirotighta
Lolita Apologist

Yay! They made it a Sticky! Now all I have to do is figure out how to change the "unofficial" to "Official"
Unread 11-16-2008, 11:52 AM   #8
xturntofade

Could this be lolita?

So, I don't actually own anything lolita and I'm hoping that will change. The problem is that currently, I have no money. However, I just found this in my closet. It is actually a top and a bottom. Is there any way I could turn this into an acceptable lolita outfit? For example, adding another layer to the skirt? Or would I just be laughed at? xD
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...la/Japan/1.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...la/Japan/2.jpg
xturntofade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 01:05 PM   #9
secretmirror180
From Planet Korin

Quote:
Originally Posted by xturntofade View Post
So, I don't actually own anything lolita and I'm hoping that will change. The problem is that currently, I have no money. However, I just found this in my closet. It is actually a top and a bottom. Is there any way I could turn this into an acceptable lolita outfit? For example, adding another layer to the skirt? Or would I just be laughed at? xD
I think you also posted this on the egl community, no? I agree with what they say. The skirt is too short and probably isn't able to achieve the fullness of lolita and the corset is a little iffy imo.

---
One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other. - Jane Austen
Unread 11-16-2008, 01:18 PM   #10
surprise!
Fluff Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by xturntofade View Post
if you sewed some more white to the bottom of the skirt, it might work, it owuld make it long enough and a nice ruffle might give you enough fabric to get it in a nice cupcake shape. the corset is a little blah, but it might look nice dyed a dark red...

Hypergleam.com
surprise! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 02:05 PM   #11
RoxyDirKaoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretmirror180 View Post
I think you also posted this on the egl community, no? I agree with what they say. The skirt is too short and probably isn't able to achieve the fullness of lolita and the corset is a little iffy imo.

I agree on this. And the fabric is not what you'de use for Lolita either. It's a cute dress though. ^_^
Unread 11-16-2008, 02:23 PM   #12
xturntofade

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretmirror180 View Post
I did. xD
Thanks for everyone who responded. I'm think I'm just gonna have to find another way
xturntofade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2008, 06:29 PM   #13
ImNewHere
The new guy.

I am wondering if the ones I have in my gallery are actually lolita or not, and if so what kind? As of right now I stick with calling them lolita inspired.

I also hit more conventions than most people do, so if you see me say hi. Chances are I'll be selling DVDs in the dealer room.
ImNewHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 11:40 AM   #14
secretmirror180
From Planet Korin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNewHere View Post
I am wondering if the ones I have in my gallery are actually lolita or not, and if so what kind? As of right now I stick with calling them lolita inspired.
No offense, but I really wouldn't call your outfits lolita or even lolita inspired.

For one, it seems like your make-up is too heavy while lolita tends to have a more natural tone to it.
Also, please no cat ears. Generally speaking it is very costumey and isn't widely accepted as lolita. I wouldn't wear them until your coordination skills become better.
You need a petticoat. None of the skirts seem like they have the right shape. Remember, lolita is generally a bell shape.
In my opinion, the boots don't match with any of the outfits. But that's just my opinion. I also suggest waering knee socks or over the knee socks instead of the tights you are wearing.
The outfits themselves are very costumey. The red itself seems to have misplaced lace while the pink just seems like a dress with a japanese top and a skirt. The black also seems to have bad quality lace.

---
Unread 11-19-2008, 06:40 PM   #15
ImNewHere
The new guy.

Thanks for the advice. Like I said, I am not sure. The cat ears were for Halloween, but I will remember not to use them. They were made for free for costumes for a con, and I have some friends who want to do a lolita gathering, but since I am included in that I want to do it right, and I am really nothing more than a noob at it. I will take all the advice I can, including where to buy, what to get, etc.

I also hit more conventions than most people do, so if you see me say hi. Chances are I'll be selling DVDs in the dealer room.
ImNewHere is offline   Reply With Quote