Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photographer's Marketplace

Closed Thread
Unread 11-12-2008, 09:43 PM   #1
numberninedemyx

Question Which camera for cheap?

So my crappy camera just broke a few months ago and I need a new one. So If anyone is selling one for under $200, and is a good one, that would help me out so much!

Unread 11-16-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
Shiroi Ookami
Professional Ninja

Just an FYI,

If your looking into buying a new camera soon, I would wait until the day after Thanksgiving when the retailers sell everything for ridiculously cheap. Don't buy the ones you have to wait in line overnight for, they are always the cheapest models the store can buy and you'll be disappointed.

A few quick things to look for:

Megapixels: Look for at least a 7 or 8 Megapixel camera. If you can find something higher within your budget you should look into it.

Zoom: Only look at "optical" zoom. This is the actual zoom of the lens as opposed to the camera enlarging the image. You should look for at least 3-4x zoom, which should not be hard in your price range.

Brands: Look first at Canon and Nikon. Panasonic and Fuji should be next. Sony makes good cameras, but you'll be paying more for both the camera and the memory. Same with Olympus.

If you have any more questions PM me and I can answer any questions you might have directly.

Good luck with your search,

-Shiroi

Currnet Cosplays:

Pridelands Sora - Commissioned from Cosfurs

Upcoming Cosplays:
Anbu Black Ops - Naruto
Human Paladin - World of Warcraft
Snow Villiers - Final Fantasy XIII
Unread 11-17-2008, 08:55 AM   #3
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

I am confident that retailers will be providing heavy discounts on Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving) to Christmas, so try to wait it out. For $200, you can buy a camera new.

Look into the Canon Powershot A series. They are well-regarded for value, and you can get some models for around $180-$200.

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon
Unread 11-17-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
stefaniecat
Camera Cat

Quote:
Look for at least a 7 or 8 Megapixel camera. If you can find something higher within your budget you should look into it.
Seriously 7-8 MP or bigger? Don't get caught in the more is better. Sensor first. Everything coming out new that isn't 'novelty camera at the check out lines' is more than adequate.

Who really prints bigger than 8x10 anyway? (And you can do 18x24 and much bigger if you know what you're doing with a 6mp camera)
Unread 11-17-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
sklathill
Evident Maniac

It's hard to get something that's not 6+ megapixels these days. Also, monitor size is the new print size. 20+ inch widescreens are pretty common these days.

Also... this year's set of Black Friday ads are pretty tepid. Certainly nothing interesting on cameras yet.

If you'd like to keep track of the ads, check out http://bfads.net/
Freelance freelancer: music composing, writing, photographing, and gaming for slightly less than an eternity...
Unread 11-18-2008, 10:04 AM   #6
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sklathill View Post
Also, monitor size is the new print size. 20+ inch widescreens are pretty common these days.
That depends if the person set a high resolution with that monitor. At 6 megapixels in high-quality mode, that usually results in an image that is more than 2048 pixels horizontally at 100% size. The average person's monitor is probably not set that high. My laptop's maximum resolution is 1400x900. I can't even fit my 6-megapixel images (100% size) as desktop wallpapers. 6 megapixels is probably going to be sufficient for web or display needs, unless one is a designer or photographer. The average person is probably not going to notice.

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon

Last edited by Eriol : 11-18-2008 at 10:09 AM.
Unread 11-18-2008, 12:04 PM   #7
sklathill
Evident Maniac

Yeah. My old (old!) 3 megapixel camera pumped out stuff at 2048 x 1536, which is just slightly more than the new high-end standard for monitors, which is 1920 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200. Still, one rarely gets pixel level detail because of the way sensors and demosaicing work. If you want pixel level detail, you're either resizing down or you've got a foveon based camera (Sigma brand). Me, I'm happy with how much better my 10 megapixel images look when resized down to web viewing compared to ye olde 4 megapixel from back in the day...

Back to the megapixels... you can't get a 6 megapixel camera anymore. Looking through salescircular.com, the only $100 dollar cameras available are either 8 or 9 megapixel. We can't get less megapixels unless we go specifically for an older, refurbished or used model.

For me, it's less about rules of thumb like less megapixels and more about camera A being better than camera B. The vast majority of cameras out there are me-too cameras. Some $150 Fuji is basically the same as some other $150 Olympus is the same as some other $150 Pentax. And then you have good ranges of cameras, like the Fujifilm Finepix F series which are pretty similar to other stuff... but they have that awesome sensor which makes them markedly better than the competition in low light. Or the Panasonic LX3 which has a good sensor coupled with a unique and awesome zoom lens. Or the Canon A series which is similar to the competition, but generally gives much more and easier to get to photographic control... plus the option of custom firmware to make that thing really fun to play with.

Okay, now I'm rambling. But anyways, when someone asks me for a rec, I ask him what he wants, then I tell him, "Get _this_ camera." The way I see it, there really are only a few cameras out there that address specific needs. Most of the stuff out there is: just a camera.
Freelance freelancer: music composing, writing, photographing, and gaming for slightly less than an eternity...
Unread 12-02-2008, 05:13 PM   #8
numberninedemyx

thanks guys! helps out a lot! looked around, and saw some great ones! mom's gonna buy me one that i saw. YAY!!!
Unread 12-02-2008, 08:23 PM   #9
Tenchi Fan
The PENTAX guy

Budget cameras (sub $150) article. Cameras from $90 to $148 tested.