Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1029 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-26-2008, 05:29 PM   #1126
dorkodile
Dork King

Name of Commissioner: BeutifullyC/ d q
Website/C.com gallery: http://www.cosplay.com/marketplace/member.php?uid=89936
Character commissioned and series/video game: The cape chain + brooch for Subaru (From Tsubasa RC)
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: None.
Timeline (how long your order took to process): I made the order in early September, it never came.

Describe your Experience.
I made the order in September, requesting for the item to be done in what I remember was 3 weeks. Now I understand that it was a rather short time frame, and I'm located overseas, but I was willing to pay for whatever additional shipping there is. So I sent an email over to d q, asking her if it's possible to have it done and get it to me within my deadline, stating very clearly in my first email that I'm located in Singapore. She said yes, it's possible, quoted me a price which I thought was reasonable, asked for more picture references and I did that all. Email correspondence was quick (I practically get a reply every few hours), I made my payment with Paypal and that was it.

Here's when the horror started. She said she could give me a preview photo the Tuesday after that, so I waited. On Wednesday there was no reply, so I sent an email. The reply I've got came a few days later saying that her internet was bummed. I said, alright, but where are the preview pictures? Her internet being bummed shouldn't mean all battery operated electronic devices in her house were too, so there's no reason why there shouldn't be a photo.

And then she took another one week to reply, and that was when I filed a Paypal dispute. She got back to me half a day later (it's amazing how good her timing was, eh?) claiming that I shouldn't have done it since I'm located overseas and I didn't tell her (which I did in my very first email. The shipping address on my Paypal account states so too), and that she'd already mailed out the item.

But considering the date that she mailed it out to, it was one day AFTER the deadline that I've given her, so I went ahead with the Paypal thing anyway, and insisted on getting a refund. Paypal could only manage to give me a partial refund due to a lack of funds in her account. But fine, better than nothing, and while I wasn't very pleased, I could live with that. Left her a negative review on the Marketplace and went about with my life.

EXCEPT even until today, I'm still getting harassment emails from her etc etc. And that brooch she said she sent? It's almost December now and it's STILL NOT HERE. Even surface mail would have reached by now.

Final Grade: F- (if there's a grade lower than that, I'd give it.)
dorkodile is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-28-2008, 01:16 AM   #1127
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated!
Kanira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2008, 12:37 PM   #1128
Shiroi Ookami
Professional Ninja

Name of Commissioner: LegacyOfMadara

Website/C.com gallery: http://www.cosplay.com/marketplace/s...ct/4595/cat/21

Character commissioned and series/video game: Chain Shackle for Wolf Link from Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item:

Timeline (how long your order took to process): I placed the order in late September and I received my item by early November.

Describe your Experience:

From the first time I emailed him with my request, I felt very confident in his abilities as a prop maker. After paying for the commission, he got the needed information from me and began work on the bracer almost immediately. He kept me updated throughout the commission and was very kind in replying to my messages. When he sent my bracer, it was packed very well with lots of packing foam and air packets to prevent it from being damaged during shipping. Overall, my bracer fits and works great and I am very happy with my experience!

Overall Grade: A+

Currnet Cosplays:

Pridelands Sora - Commissioned from Cosfurs

Upcoming Cosplays:
Anbu Black Ops - Naruto
Human Paladin - World of Warcraft
Snow Villiers - Final Fantasy XIII
Shiroi Ookami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2008, 02:15 AM   #1129
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated :>
Unread 12-02-2008, 09:19 PM   #1130
phoenixn7g

Name of Commissioner: Alicia Hollenbeck A.K.A lapixystix or tofudevil

Character commissioned and series: Izuna, Unemployed Ninja

Link(s) to picture(s) of your commissioned item: Will update if it ever shows up

Time line: - August 08- Currently. I needed it done for Otafest 09.. She said she would have it done by halloween...

Pros: None.

Cons: She "lost" contact with me too much... went about 21 days in btwn talking to me.... not impressed

Comments: I contacted Alicia through Alchemy on Etsy.com. She assured me that she could make my costume in time for halloween, even though I don't need it until May 09. She was very nice in the begining and we talked every few days about how far my costume was done. Out of the blue, after she said she would finish crocheting it, she stopped replying to my emails. I waited 21 DAYS before receiveing any response from her... and I only got the response after I set up a Non-Delivery Report So she apologized and said she had "moved". She neglected to tell me this before... and she said that the new owner of her old house said that the package got returned for some stupid reason (?) and she was going to pick it up. I was still weary... but after she talked to me about 3 more times, I told Etsy that the problem was solved. She said she was going to email me when se sent the costume....

Now... I havent talked to her in 19 days. No costume. No contact. I even googled her to see if I could find other contact information

GRADE: F- ( unless one of these days I actually get the costume... which I doubt.... )

EDIT: I never did get the costume, but she was promptly kicked off of etsy. As horrible as it sounds, my parents tracked her down to where sheworked and emailed her boss explaining the situation. I'm pretty sure she got fired.

Last edited by phoenixn7g : 05-09-2010 at 12:53 PM.
phoenixn7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2008, 10:01 PM   #1131
keitaro849

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiZ View Post
Commissioner: SakuraLee
C.com gallery: http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/m73703/
Character commissioned: Dejiko paws (hands and feet) from Di Gi Charat
Pictures: http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...n/IMGP1295.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...n/IMGP1297.jpg
Timeline: A little over two weeks from the day I paid her.
Describe: SakuraLee is one of those wonderfully dedicated commissioners willing to go the extra mile for her client’s happiness. This young lady contacted me the day I posted my ad in the Marketplace and, right from the start, communication was great. Despite the gaping time difference, SakuraLee answered all my emails within a day. This kind commissioner sent me many progress shots throughout our transaction; even when her camera broke, she was sure to inform me of her progress. SakaraLee was conscious of my deadline and had both the items completed and shipped with a week to spare. SakuraLee is quick working and efficient. Her progress shots always surprised me: the craftsmanship and attention to detail was remarkable for the price I paid and the time it took her to finish the project. This woman has some serious talent! SakuraLee worked with all my suggestions and never complained of being over-worked, over-booked, or stressed-out. Even when I was sick, she showed me nothing but kindness and offered her sincerest well wishes. SakuraLee is a very talented commissioner and an all-around sweetie~I know I will be buying from her again and again!
Grade: A+
i need new dejiko feet... is she still taking commisions?
keitaro849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2008, 01:25 AM   #1132
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

keitaro, I'd recommend PMing the commissioner directly, rather than asking one of her old customers ^^

Updated!
Unread 12-03-2008, 01:28 AM   #1133
keitaro849

yeah you're right just figured i'd ask is all. I might not need the dejiko feet at the moment.
keitaro849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2008, 11:01 PM   #1134
Dark Althena
Warning: Habitual Glomper

Name of Commissioner: Ajie/Cosplay1

Website/C.com gallery: www.cosplay1.com

Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.): Pink from Dragon Pink (costume and accessories only)

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: http://www.cosplay1.com/dtProduct.php?pId=421 (I don't have any of the outfit on me yet but I will soon)

Timeline (how long your order took to process): Approx. 1 1/2 months

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments: Ajie is very sweet and very good with communication. I was very impressed, Ajie fought hard to take my commission and even went a few dollars below my budget for my cosplay to win my commission. In the beginning I was told that the fabric they wanted to use was out of stock so they sent me pictures of fabrics to choose from. I got progress emails with links to the costume's progress so I was pleased with that. The cosplay was made with adjustable parts in case I *ahem* gain a few pounds...I even got an email to approve the bell they wanted to put on the cosplay ^_^! A very good, top-knotch commissioner.

Comments: I was a little irritated when I got the cosplay and found not the bell I approved but a christmas ornament, but that's easily fixed. Construction was very good and even though it's a little big it can be taken in with no troubles.

Final Grade: A- A pleasant, wonderful commissioner I will definitely commission again ^_^
Pink from Dragon Pink
(incredibly witty remark of a humorous nature inserted here for the purpose of
entertainment)

Last edited by Dark Althena : 12-03-2008 at 11:05 PM.
Dark Althena is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2008, 12:58 AM   #1135
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated
Unread 12-04-2008, 09:10 AM   #1136
NekoMimiChan
*Bri*

Name of commissioner: sumirehana013 or purple doll

C-com gallery: http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/m41253/

Character Commissioned: Ryomou from Ikkitousen and Bad Girl from No More Heroes (full costumes)

Links to pictures (I don't have the costumes yet, these are the progress shots from her):
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1778068/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1778067/

timeline: April '08 to ???? still havn't been finished or shipped. They were supposed to be for a convention in JULY, then I asked if I could get them for a con in OCTOBER, still nothing

I placed an add on the marketplace back in April looking for someone to do several costumes for me. she seemed realy nice and her past work looked good. Her prices were reasonable and she USED to get back to me quickly whenever I had questions.

The progress shots she has don't look great, I'm pretty disappointed in the quality of the costumes, and that's just from the pictures. The fabric and cut of the garments doesn't look quite right and Bad Girl's costume is not as accurate as it should be. Pretty disappointed.

But the main reason I'm writing this review is because she has not contacted me in over a month and I keep trying to PM her to let me know what's going on but she's kinda disappeared. I see that she has had recent activity here but still doesn't reply to me. I paid her $220 up front that I don't think I'll ever see again.

She was great in the begining replying to me and working with my specifications, but now...

Final Grade: F (pending futher action on her part)

Future Costumes
Carmilla - Vampire Hunter D
Haydee - Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
Barioth Blademaster - Monster Hunter
Lulu- FFX
Gwendolyn - Odin Sphere

For Prop Commissions visit my store, DistinctiveProps, on etsy.
NekoMimiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 12:53 AM   #1137
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

And we're updated!
Unread 12-05-2008, 08:27 PM   #1138
lunaladyoflight
Glitter Addict

Name of Commissioner: Limebarb
Character commissioned and series: Penelo, FFXII: Revenant Wings
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1821732/ http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1800377/
Reference Image: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v9...ent=Penelo.jpg
Only the pants, shoes, top, and gauntlet are by Limebarb. The wig and accessories are of my own creation.

Timeline: I ordered this in February or March 2008, when I started a weight-loss program because this costume was my gift to myself for my progress. I set my due date as September 10th. I finished paying for it in July 2008, because it was expensive enough for me to get a payment plan. I was originally planning to head into Chicago to get it fitting, but lack of funds/rehearsal schedules would not allow me to leave. So my September date passed... I sent her a new due date and she said it would be finished by that time. That date passed. I didn't receive my costume until the morning of Saturday of Youmacon 2008, which was November 1st 2008. So it took two months past my due date to receive this costume. Due to rehearsal schedules I had canceled my September con, but I was freaking out and worried that it would miss Youmacon, the con I'd set to debut it at nearly TWO MONTHS after my official due date that she said she could make.

Describe your Experience.
Pros:
I ordered the deluxe version and it came out absolutely beautiful. The shoes were adorable. The pants were a great shape and I really appreciate the work that went into this. I really LOVE this costume.

Cons: I ordered the deluxe version and the embroidery I was expecting was not there, as well as the whole thing was too big even though I'd sent her my updated measurements in the beginning of July. My weight and measurements haven't changed since then, I can have my weight-clinic guarantee it. We had to pin the top all funny for it to even fit right instead of baggy. And we had to tape/glue the pants up because they were way too big. The cobblers glue on the shoes was peeling away. Also the flower/ribbon things on the pants were vinyl with ribbon sewn on. I expected at least 3D buttons or something since that's what the picture looks like. Also the details on the pants weren't nearly what a Deluxe version should entail. Also the top had a corseted back, but it was not functional. I would have appreciated that so I could make it smaller, like it should have been. Not only was the top too large, but the front of it was completely wrong. See this reference image, and then compare it to my cosplay photo. Yea... I sent her these images. This was not very deluxe for a deluxe version. It did not even match the references I'd sent her (I've also retained a copy of that email).

Comments: As a commissioner myself I can understand schedules going wonky, but when a customer finishes paying for something 3 months ahead of their due date, I usually get it to them with 2 months to spare. I know she had other things to do, but with all the people working there I don't understand why I had to wait two extra months for it. I also did not understand why my new measurements, which she confirmed that she had received, were not followed. Communication was okay. I expected to have slightly better communication than she did, especially since we're more than acquaintances. I'd expect someone I consider a friend to keep in touch with me a bit more when I'm paying her $500 for something. I did not even see progress pictures, I just received a finished project. Also, I'm in the process of losing more weight since I've decided to pursue film, so I probably won't be able to wear this costume ever again... I would NEVER rush a piece for a friend. I would make even more of an effort to uphold my reputation and I would certainly go the extra-mile.

Final Grade: B- (Beautiful costume but I don't think it was worth the $500 due to wrong sizing when correct measurements were sent and lack of communication, etc.)

Last edited by lunaladyoflight : 12-05-2008 at 11:20 PM.
lunaladyoflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 10:07 PM   #1139
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated!
Unread 12-06-2008, 05:18 PM   #1140
Hee-Hee
+Twinzik+

Name of Commissioner: The Hag/ Lani@The COS Brigade

Website/C.com gallery: http://www.cosplay.com/member/72984

Character commissioned and series/video game: Cybil Bennett shoulder patches from Silent Hill

Links to picture(s): http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...own/badgee.jpg
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1849676/

Timeline: I signed the online contract on the 18th of November, and got the patches in the mail today (December 6th).

Experience: The commissioner was very polite and quick to respond. She was also very thorough and sent several messages making sure she had things like colors and dimensions right. The online contract I was sent covered it all, shipping time estimates, differences in my reference pictures and what she was able to do (it wasn't anything serious, just a slight difference in font) as well as a final check on the colors, text, and shape of the patch. She also let me know when the patches were finished and shipped, and I received them just a few days afterward.

Pros:
The patches are WONDERFUL! They look very official and professional. I could not have expected anything better. The price was very reasonable, too.

Cons: None! I recommend her to everyone who needs embroidery patchwork done!

Final Grade: A+!

Next Con: Anime Matsuri!

Simon Petrikov - Adventure Time
Jack Frost - Rise of the Guardians
Sandman - Rise of the Guardians

Crunchyroll Cosplay Ambassador
Check out Crunchyroll HERE

Last edited by Hee-Hee : 01-24-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Hee-Hee is offline   Reply With Quote