Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 98 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-26-2008, 12:19 PM   #31
Kirotighta
Lolita Apologist

lol Bunny shaped pockets, now that would be something to see.
Kirotighta is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-26-2008, 08:07 PM   #32
TheLadySummoner
LaLiLuLeLo?

Or heart shaped. I made a skirt with heart shaped pockets. ^_^
~Operetta - Monster High

Planned Costumes:
~Princess Zelda - Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
~Madoka Kaname school uniform - Puella Magi Madoka Magica
TheLadySummoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2008, 06:50 PM   #33
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

just wanna make sure i can use this top that i just got for lolita as well:
http://www.charlotterusse.com/produc...entPage=family

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2008, 07:56 PM   #34
secretmirror180
From Planet Korin

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySiren View Post
just wanna make sure i can use this top that i just got for lolita as well:
http://www.charlotterusse.com/produc...entPage=family
That, actually, is a really great blouse! Good find!

Zelda (30%), Shampoo Neko-hanten(90%), Akihabara maid outfit
Plus a kajillion outfits & wigs for friends & family...-_-

---
One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other. - Jane Austen
secretmirror180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2008, 09:00 PM   #35
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

ooh yay thanks! now off to find and/or make a skirt!

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2008, 09:30 PM   #36
Kirotighta
Lolita Apologist

Speaking of blouses, when I went blouse-hunting I found tons of great blouses at burlington coat factory, but there was a problem. All of the blouses were either too thin, or too small for my bust (I seriously almost popped a button) so I ended up getting this, (I had to lighten it so you can see the ruffles, and you might be able to see the small ribbon bow in front too)
I'm worried that it may not be high up enough, though it doesn't show any cleavage. The blouses were just too small, okay? TT_TT even the large ones, and I couldn't find any extra large of the blouses that were very acceptable as far as design goes.

What do you think? Can I get away with it? If I can't, is there a way I can add a shirt to this or something to make it alright?

I had a question about the possibility of using this as a winter item. Its supposedly called a capelet, though I don't think that's the real name.

Boy do I look tired. I should sleep more often.
Unread 12-01-2008, 12:51 AM   #37
celticfreefall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirotighta View Post
lol Bunny shaped pockets, now that would be something to see.
Angelic Pretty did a bunny pocket series a while ago ^_^

Also, as an example, here is one of my jsk skirts fully pulled up to the sides so that you can get an idea of how full a skirt needs to be in order to accommodate a petticoat:

With no petticoat

To show how full the skirt is

With a petticoat, and I'm wearing a shawl in this pic on top if you're confused

Quote:
I had a question about the possibility of using this as a winter item. Its supposedly called a capelet, though I don't think that's the real name.
The blouse could work, though, I can't really see it well enough to be able to see for sure. And yes, the real name for it is a capelet XD You can even look it up in the dictionary.

Last edited by celticfreefall : 12-01-2008 at 01:12 AM.
celticfreefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2008, 04:42 PM   #38
Kirotighta
Lolita Apologist

Wonderful! I was so afraid that I was only supposed to wear blouses that go all the way up to my neck. That necklace in the picture is very special to me and I wear it almost every moment of my life, even in the shower, and I like to have it showing.

While we're on the subject of things you can wear "rather than," I was wondering - is there anything to wear other than knee-high stockings? I feel like they make my calfs look fat, lol. I've read before that it's okay to wear tights - is this true? and what about very fancy socks that go to about mid-calf? (I have a couple pairs that came from a victorian-themed magazine, it has a knitted ruffle topper on either sock.)

Thanks for showing how much fabric is needed! I sure hope I got enough... about how many feet/yards of fabric would you say that would take?
Unread 12-01-2008, 08:55 PM   #39
Meiki

Quote:
Wonderful! I was so afraid that I was only supposed to wear blouses that go all the way up to my neck. That necklace in the picture is very special to me and I wear it almost every moment of my life, even in the shower, and I like to have it showing.

While we're on the subject of things you can wear "rather than," I was wondering - is there anything to wear other than knee-high stockings? I feel like they make my calfs look fat, lol. I've read before that it's okay to wear tights - is this true? and what about very fancy socks that go to about mid-calf? (I have a couple pairs that came from a victorian-themed magazine, it has a knitted ruffle topper on either sock.)

Thanks for showing how much fabric is needed! I sure hope I got enough... about how many feet/yards of fabric would you say that would take?
Tights are totally fine, they're nice in the winter so your legs don't get as cold! Brands do make shorter socks, like the ones on the girl on the far left in this ad: http://www.avantgauche.co.uk/glb9/22.jpg They're not as common, and I'm not too fond of them personally, but they do exist.
Meiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2008, 09:30 PM   #40
secretmirror180
From Planet Korin

Quote:
I have really huge calves so to balance the look and not wear tights, I wear over the knee socks. They tend to look nicer on more shapely legs anyway. Generally socks don't really go lower than knee socks, but as Meiki said there are ankle socks. However many people really don't like ankles socks, specially for their ties to a certain fetish.

As I have said before (in another of your posts), the amount of fabric you need for a skirt to fit a petticoat is about three times your waist. So let's say your waist is thirty inches, then you need around 2 and a half yards of fabric for the skirt.

Zelda (30%), Shampoo Neko-hanten(90%), Akihabara maid outfit
Plus a kajillion outfits & wigs for friends & family...-_-

---
One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other. - Jane Austen
secretmirror180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2008, 11:52 PM   #41
Kirotighta
Lolita Apologist

I got about 6 feet of fabric for the skirt, do you think that's enough? (I got 15 feet of netting to make myself a fluffy petticoat ^_^)

Hurray for tights! And also hurray for short socks, because I just adore these socks of mine. Here's a picture of when I wear them up, (along with my awesome pink chair)

But they have the tendency to fall down, so I usually end up wearing them like this:

Would that be acceptable... enough?
Unread 12-02-2008, 09:57 AM   #42
TheLadySummoner
LaLiLuLeLo?

6 feet is 2 yards, right? It depends on your waist measurement as to whether that will be enough. My waist is 29 inches, so I usually need 2.5 yards (or 7.25 feet). In order for 6 feet to be enough, you need to have a 24 inch waist.
~Operetta - Monster High

Planned Costumes:
~Princess Zelda - Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
~Madoka Kaname school uniform - Puella Magi Madoka Magica
TheLadySummoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2008, 10:38 AM   #43
Kirotighta
Lolita Apologist

curses. Well, I have an idea! The fabric that I got was folded over - essentially, I have enough to go to my ankles. Now, in a normal situation I would be using that as the backing of the skirt, that is, my skirt will be doubly thick. However, I also have 6 feet of a white fabric, which I could use as lining. All I need to do, is cut the fabric down the center so that rather than having 6 feet, I would have 12 feet, which is, obviously, more than enough.

At this point, however, I doubt that I would have enough time to complete it before the party, seeing as I JUST got into contact with an owner of the same singer model as mine, and she has directed me toward a woman who repairs old machines. So, yay for starting to solve the mystery, but too bad not before the party.
Unread 12-04-2008, 02:04 AM   #44
onewingedjade
Escaping Reality

I probably shouldn't post here anymore: I'm a EGL noob.

2014 Cosplays: Chun Li - SF, Chell - Portal, Felicia - Darkstalkers

Last edited by onewingedjade : 12-05-2008 at 02:37 AM.
onewingedjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2008, 04:10 AM   #45
celticfreefall

That's not lolita, at all, sorry. And no, there isn't any way to alter it to make it suitable. If it isn't suitable to be worn in public due to modesty, it certainly isn't suitable for lolita. Most things that are suitable to be worn in public by most modern standards of modesty aren't suitable for the modesty of lolita. ^_^
celticfreefall is offline   Reply With Quote