Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 88 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-27-2009, 10:13 AM   #121
november.eyes
Srsly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofalltrades View Post
I do have some questions: why would you need to stiffen your eyebrows with the glue? Can't you just use a washable paint? Would stiff eyebrows be uncomfortable/feel weird?
I am looking to make my eyebrows thicker and bigger to crossplay, would you do anything differently for this?
The glue is needed mostly as a protective covering for your eyebrow hair. As most of us who paint know, acrylic paint is not very fun to get out of hair and clothing. I once accidentally got white acrylic paint in my hair and it wouldn't come out for 2 washes without ripping out hair :\. Not to mention it usually never comes out of clothing. I don't think any of us want to chance walking around with clumps of our eyebrow hair missing XD

Stiff eyebrows feel the same as putting a layer of gel over your eyebrows. It takes a few minutes to get used to, but its not as if you can't move your eyebrows at all.

When you say "thicker and bigger" I am assuming you mean something like Rock Lee's eyebrows from Naruto. In this case, I would try overlapping the glue further onto the skin around your eyebrow. Do 2 (or if needed 3) coats of the glue so you don't notice the hairs of your real eyebrow randomly within the painted one, and then try the paint.
Let me know how it turns out. I'd be happy to help more.

Also, for those who are intested, I'll probably be adding onto this tutorial closer to the summer months as my friend will be dressing as a character with very small eyebrows, so we'll need to cover up half of her eyebrows to look like skin. I hope it will help those who are asking about how the change the shape of your eyebrows a bit.
november.eyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2009, 10:45 AM   #122
Cabbage Oh
lol sup /cgl/

i'm so glad i saw this, i was worried i wouldn't be able to get my eyebrows the right shade of light blue for katsucon. what a good idea lol
Cabbage Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2009, 11:46 AM   #123
Jackofalltrades
Tiny Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by november.eyes View Post
The glue is needed mostly as a protective covering for your eyebrow hair. As most of us who paint know, acrylic paint is not very fun to get out of hair and clothing. I once accidentally got white acrylic paint in my hair and it wouldn't come out for 2 washes without ripping out hair :\. Not to mention it usually never comes out of clothing. I don't think any of us want to chance walking around with clumps of our eyebrow hair missing XD

Stiff eyebrows feel the same as putting a layer of gel over your eyebrows. It takes a few minutes to get used to, but its not as if you can't move your eyebrows at all.

When you say "thicker and bigger" I am assuming you mean something like Rock Lee's eyebrows from Naruto. In this case, I would try overlapping the glue further onto the skin around your eyebrow. Do 2 (or if needed 3) coats of the glue so you don't notice the hairs of your real eyebrow randomly within the painted one, and then try the paint.
Let me know how it turns out. I'd be happy to help more.

Also, for those who are intested, I'll probably be adding onto this tutorial closer to the summer months as my friend will be dressing as a character with very small eyebrows, so we'll need to cover up half of her eyebrows to look like skin. I hope it will help those who are asking about how the change the shape of your eyebrows a bit.
That does help! I can't wait to try it out!
Jackofalltrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2009, 06:36 PM   #124
OnyxMars

OoooOoo! Thanks so much for the guide! Now I can make my Peter Pan cosplay perfect ;P

Lmao, I also remember you guys last Anime North. When I was reading the tutorial and looking at the pictures of your DN Angel costumes, I went like "Hey..... those costumes look alot familiar to the ones I saw at AN 08...." And then I saw your signature and I was right ;D

I remember you guys were just in the same pose for such a long time, as people kept asking to take your picture. You would spread your wings in a sort of battle pose- It was really cool ;P
OnyxMars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2009, 01:57 AM   #125
crystaldragon

*glares at old Sakura pics* Why couldn't have found this BEFORE I cosplayed Sakura?!
lol, I can't wait to try it! (It sounds like it works really well!!)
crystaldragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2009, 12:00 PM   #126
saline89

I never heard of this before! This is cool, lol. I'm definitly going to give it a try.
saline89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2009, 12:33 AM   #127
melovemanga

this is a really good idea ur sure smart lol now i know just hope i dont get paint in my hair that wouldn't be fun
melovemanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2009, 01:02 AM   #128
ShiNo_Usagi
Noms Are Belong To Me!

So, after trying this numerous times and not really being happy with the result I just went ahead and skipped the glue and just used a q-tip and put the paint onto my eyebrows and got a decent result.

Copernicus - 5%
Blood Seras - 90%
Bobby Uniform Seras - 5%
Kalashnikitty - Planned

*~Progress~*

ShiNo_Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2009, 04:16 PM   #129
ExplodingClay
Overdramatic weirdo :D

YES! No more eyebrow bleaching! I did a test and turned one of my eyebrows white.. And colored one of them rainbow (i don't know why XD). It turned out fantastic. This really is a great method.
ExplodingClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2009, 03:01 PM   #130
Xylina_Furiae
iPinch D:<

That looks fantastic. What a wonderfully awesome technique! I'll be using this, thanks.
"You should hate someone because they're an asshole or a pervert or a snob, or they're lazy or arrogant or an idiot or a know-it-all. Those are reasons to dislike somebody. You don't hate a person because someone told you to; you have to despise people on a personal level, not because they're red or because they're blue, but because you know them and you see them every single day, and you can't stand them because they're a complete and total [f]ing douchebag."
-Leonard L. Church, Red Vs Blue
Xylina_Furiae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2009, 07:31 AM   #131
Timmah
Sydney Cosplayer

Yay, now I won't have to take bleach to my eyebrows.

Thanks for sharing, I'll have to try it out, but it seems like a fantastic idea.
Timmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2009, 05:05 PM   #132
hatchii
kind of a big deal.

Omg, this was SO HELPFUL!
Thank you SO MUCH!!
hatchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #133
Hikaruhime
I'm jusaiyan

Just thought I would add in another testimonial by way of photos! ^^ My eyebrows are normally black.

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1906600/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1906711/
Tokyo in Tulsa // Tulsa, OK

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS:
Isis from SMITE
Capitol Citizen from Hunger Games

Mythos Creations Cosplay Group
Hikaruhime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2009, 05:14 PM   #134
Tesh-chan
Finally changed my Avatar

Thanks for starting this thread! I tried it today and it came out pretty well. My only problem was that in some areas the paint looked like it was globbed on. Perhaps it was because of my glue though- I used a glue stick. But when I took photos of myself you can't really see my mistakes. I'll work on perfecting it.

Here's one photo: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1935027

Again, thanks for the technique!

Planned Cosplays:

Ramona Flowers - Scott Pilgrim (graphic novel version)
Tesh-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 08:53 PM   #135
Kiwis
o.O Cute.Punk O.o

Nice tut. But um, I think instead of glue...you should use gel or wax. It's more appropriate XDD;;.
Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote