Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-27-2009, 12:34 PM   #16
Lucrezea

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaoikk View Post
I really only know where you can find blouses in Vancouver. The best place I can think of would be the H&M downtown. They don't really have anything loliable beyond accessories right now, but they do sometimes have really cute blouses. Also, stores like Mantique and Sakura may have some cute tops and accessories as well, but they would probably cost a little more. :S

Yeah, other then that, there's online & commissioning stuff...

edit: posted a little too late xP
Try H&M (there's one in Lougheed Mall, too), Urban Behaviour and
Mariposa for loli-able blouses. For cheap, adorable accessories, walk right past Claire's and go to Ardene. Value Village has an insane amount of mary janes at any given time. As far as skirts, dresses and petticoats are concerned... that's where you would have to resort to local seamstresses or online purchasing.

If you're interested in lolita fashion and would like to learn more, there's a lovely lady hosting a lolita fashion show at Anime Evolution this year. There are a good number of local seamstresses participating in the event, so it would be a good opportunity to get to see what you could have commissioned locally.

Last edited by Lucrezea : 02-27-2009 at 12:38 PM.

Unread 02-28-2009, 09:41 PM   #17
Cosmetics
Mini-Lolita

I took some of your guys' advice and took a look at a couple stores. I went to Flavour, Decade, Paradise Boutique, The Patch, and Value Village.
I didn't find anything in the first two; I found a really, really good dress in the third, but it was really expensive (might aswell have bought something more lolita online for that price); The Patch is a HUUUGEE store, and they had tons of loli-able clothes! I got two dresses, one blouse, and about a kajillion skirts for $40!; and I got a very nice bracelet and one pair of black Mary Janes from Value Village.
Unread 03-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #18
Lucrezea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmetics View Post
I took some of your guys' advice and took a look at a couple stores. I went to Flavour, Decade, Paradise Boutique, The Patch, and Value Village.
I didn't find anything in the first two; I found a really, really good dress in the third, but it was really expensive (might aswell have bought something more lolita online for that price); The Patch is a HUUUGEE store, and they had tons of loli-able clothes! I got two dresses, one blouse, and about a kajillion skirts for $40!; and I got a very nice bracelet and one pair of black Mary Janes from Value Village.
Congrats on your finds! The Patch is in Victoria, right? I *love* that store. I've found so many cool things there.
Unread 03-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #19
Cosmetics
Mini-Lolita

Yeah, it's in Victoria. I'm going back there soon.
I also found some really cheap dresses on ebay! There's one I'm bidding on that's about $50 dollars including shipping, and it's very lacey and ribboney. (Link not included, because I don't want to be outbid. )
Unread 03-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #20
Kirotighta
Lolita Apologist

Quote:
Yeah, it's in Victoria. I'm going back there soon.
I also found some really cheap dresses on ebay! There's one I'm bidding on that's about $50 dollars including shipping, and it's very lacey and ribboney. (Link not included, because I don't want to be outbid. )
WAIT! There are some notoriously bad lolita sellers on Ebay! What are you ordering from???
Kirotighta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2009, 11:35 PM   #21
celticfreefall

Very lacey and ribbony does not mean that it's lolita. Actually, that sounds like it's NOT lolita due to that fact. Kirotighta is right. E-bay really doesn't have any reputable sellers for lolita, and that price sounds like you probably are going to get ripped off with a crap quality outfit.
celticfreefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2009, 11:08 AM   #22
Cosmetics
Mini-Lolita

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320345149978
That's the dress. I got outbid, though, so I'm just waiting in case the outbidder cancels or something. P:
It looked quite lolita, and the seller has a 100% reputation.
Unread 03-03-2009, 10:53 PM   #23
NomNomNutella
Herrgottsakramentzefix!

Quote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320345149978
That's the dress. I got outbid, though, so I'm just waiting in case the outbidder cancels or something. P:
It looked quite lolita, and the seller has a 100% reputation.
eeee thats momo's... beware! some people have had good experiences with them but there are also quite a few complaints about them! mostly people are saying that they don't really communicate well, use cheap materials (thin fabric, crappy lace) and take a long time to ship. as well, you might be bidding on a copy of the dress that is pictured. momo's steals pictures from other places and sells products with them. overall they seem pretty sketchy, i mean if they really put out a good product, why use other people's pictures and why did they kill their old account and start a new one?
NomNomNutella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2009, 11:22 PM   #24
celticfreefall

No nonononono.. They have a terrible reputation, and a deserved one. The reason why they have 100% feedback is because they were forced to delete their old e-bay store and start a new one due to their bad reputation even on e-bay (they may have been kicked off over copyright disputes filed by the brands who own the stock photos). It used to be called Momo's Handicrafts Store. Here is an example of their less than stellar work. They use shoddy materials, crap lace, and use stolen stock photographs from real lolita brands to peddle their poorly made replicas. Indeed, they make replicas of replicas, stealing stock photos from Bodyline and F+F. There are some people who have good experiences, but the negative outweigh the good ninety to one.

E-bay is not somewhere you want to shop for lolita, period. If you want to commission a dress and be assured of getting a quality, well fitting product, e-bay is the last place you want to go. That's why we never mentioned it in giving you links or suggestion to places to commission from ^_^;; Also, 100% reputation on an e-bay store when it comes to lolita honestly means nothing. Lots of people buy really shoddy, terribly ugly and not very lolita clothing on e-bay and are perfectly happy with their item. Mainly because they are cosplayers or non-lolita afficionados, and have no idea that they are receiving a sub par quality item.

TL&DR stay away from e-bay, unless you're buying second hand lolita brand, and even then you need to be sure you're not getting scammed and are buying the genuine brand garment.
Unread 03-03-2009, 11:49 PM   #25
TheLadySummoner
LaLiLuLeLo?

Yuck! The lace on the front isn't even gathered! It's just like..folded. I have to say, though, that even the lace on the stock photo looks crappy. :/

Celticfreefall is right. I wouldn't trust ebay for lolita, except for maybe shoes. There are a few sellers that sell Montreal shoes, Ling Lam being one. I know people had had a few problems with her in the past, but I haven't had any problems with her yet. Just make sure you exercise caution on ebay.
~Operetta - Monster High

Planned Costumes:
~Princess Zelda - Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
~Madoka Kaname school uniform - Puella Magi Madoka Magica
TheLadySummoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2009, 01:16 AM   #26
Kirotighta
Lolita Apologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticfreefall View Post
Also, 100% reputation on an e-bay store when it comes to lolita honestly means nothing. Lots of people buy really shoddy, terribly ugly and not very lolita clothing on e-bay and are perfectly happy with their item. Mainly because they are cosplayers or non-lolita afficionados, and have no idea that they are receiving a sub par quality item.
I don't have any proof of this, but I heard that in the past momo's has paid people off to not give them a bad review. But I don't see why they would do that, rather than just get it right in the first place. But that's just hear-say.

But yeah, ebay is dangerous lolita territory.
Kirotighta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2009, 01:29 AM   #27
celticfreefall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirotighta View Post
I don't have any proof of this, but I heard that in the past momo's has paid people off to not give them a bad review. But I don't see why they would do that, rather than just get it right in the first place. But that's just hear-say.

But yeah, ebay is dangerous lolita territory.
I would not be surprised. I know a couple of people who have done charge-backs or filed paypal claims against them for getting a shit item that looked nothing like what was advertised, so, I can see how it would be easy to just "send a little more" for good feedback. More to the fact that up until a very short while ago sellers could leave negative feedback on customers if the buyer left them negative feedback. So, for fear of getting bad feedback, people would leave good feedback even if the item was complete crap, which generally screws over the buyer if they don't like what they purchased. E-bay has since rectified that.
Unread 03-04-2009, 09:37 AM   #28
Lucrezea

I ordered from Momo's... maybe 2 years ago? I got it for a theatrical performance because I needed something OTT to play a doll. I got the OP dress, pannier, socks and arm warmers from them, and it ran me about $120 Canadian. I don't regret the purchase because it was intended for a costume.

Although the dress wasn't terrible, it wasn't great. It was made of thin fabric and wrinkled easily. I can't comment on their lace, because I purposefully chose something without lace. Would I purchase from them for actual lolita? To sum it up simply... hell no.
Unread 03-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #29
solemnraven

wow....that place looks SO BAD.

no wonder, i suspect ANYTHING that comes from china.

>.<
i suggest contracting a seamstress, especially if you have no experience sewing....
solemnraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 02:04 PM   #30
codeblackhayate

I'm hosting a US based Bodyline group order to get the half price shipping deal if you'd like to join. There are some really cheap $11 skirts that could get you started.

http://community.livejournal.com/egl...der/26858.html

I'd be better to get something from Bodyline, Anna House, or ITS than from Momo. If you're on livejournal, egl_group_orders has other group orders as well. Recently there was a Meta one and an Anna House. You also might be able to snag a deal on egl_comm_sales from another lolita.
codeblackhayate is offline   Reply With Quote