Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 29 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #46
Garuda_Aiacos
Waitin 4 Behemoth Violate

Ugh! Velvet.......why is it getting harder and harder to find the drapey, not-too-thick-kind in Singapore, let alone Silk Velvet? And when it's there in the correct color, it cost a bomb per metre as only available at Spotlight.

Seriously, I feel soooooo tempted to order the Slate Blue Silk Velvet from eBay as it looked like the same color as the "Screen-Look" of the Requiem Dress Jumper (real life color is another story all together and hard to achieve easily, especially from someone who had seen it in person under White Light). But the cost of shipping is as much as the cost of the fabric itself for me.
Garuda_Aiacos is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2008, 12:48 AM   #47
WilwarinAndamar
Anime NebrasKon staff

Nevermind. When I went back, it was sold out. And it looks unlikely they'll be getting more. It is virtually impossible to find periwinkle blue velvet or penne that's even close.

I might be making her Blood Red Dress afterall. *shrugs*

Watch the Awesome Rangers saga!
*AR3 trailer here*
WilwarinAndamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2008, 01:45 AM   #48
Garuda_Aiacos

You got USD12/yard to spare?

Can get the "correct" color one from eBay if got the money to spare.
Unread 07-21-2008, 08:58 PM   #49
WilwarinAndamar
Anime NebrasKon staff

^^ No, sorry. I dislike eBay, and I'm on a tighter budget since I'm quitting my job and don't know when I'll be getting a new one.

It'll be a while before I start making her dress anyhow, so I might be able to find that fabric again; we'll see...

Watch the Awesome Rangers saga!
*AR3 trailer here*
WilwarinAndamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2009, 03:41 AM   #50
Garuda_Aiacos

Upping this thread

Kinda 2+ more years to get your new LOTR/Middle-Earth Costumes and Armors ready for The Hobbit Movie release.

SAINT SEIYA THE LOST CANVAS Hades Alone
SAINT SEIYA SUPER MUSICAL Athena Saori
SAINT SEIYA OMEGA Orion Eden
SAINT SEIYA THE LOST CANVAS Athena Sasha
Unread 03-11-2009, 03:54 AM   #51
Schuldig_
Optical illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Serifita View Post
Upping this thread

Kinda 2+ more years to get your new LOTR/Middle-Earth Costumes and Armors ready for The Hobbit Movie release.
That should give even someone as slow as me plenty of time to finish (she says now...) I'm vaguely thinking about going as a Mirkwood Elf this time (though I'm a Galadhrim at heart). Perhaps the kingy himself, if I could find something to work from.

"Don't engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man." (Crawford, courtesy of Aoe, in this case)
Schuldig_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2009, 05:16 AM   #52
Arokka
Paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuldig_ View Post
if I could find something to work from.
Stilts to begin with?
Arokka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2009, 05:59 AM   #53
Schuldig_
Optical illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arokka View Post
Stilts to begin with?
You, evil, tall woman, are to behave. Besides, it doesn't say anywhere that Thranduil is tall. So there.

"Don't engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man." (Crawford, courtesy of Aoe, in this case)
Unread 03-14-2009, 03:56 PM   #54
Sephirayne
Ranger from the North

Hmm! I may work on my Legolas coranation outfit for the new movies. I've done both basic Legolas and grey Haldir. I have also made two Arwen's and one Elrond for friends and my brother.

Legolas' coranation outfit is one I've wanted to do for a while but struggled to find the right fabric. I may just block print it.
Sephiroth(Dissidia FF and Classic) - Abel Nightroad(Empire, Early AX white jacket, AX Artbook and Gold Armour with BOOK O' DOOOMM) - Cain Nightroad(Trinity Blood Artbook) - Madam Red and Undertaker(Kuroshitsuji) - Lucius Malfoy (Harry Potter films) - Legolas(Lord of The Rings Films) -

Trinity Blood - when one Nightroad is never enough. Experience it for yourself today!
Sephirayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 03:06 AM   #55
Schuldig_
Optical illusion

That outfit is gorgeous - though, I've always wanted to make one of Elrond's robes, myself. I'm more for imposing than formal. But don't you have a ton of other blondes to work on right now? I thought the last costume list I saw from you was rather... impressive, to say the least.

Unread 05-17-2010, 03:22 PM   #56
Stormraven24
Fear my whimsy!

I knew there was already an LotR thread on here somewhere :3

So, I wanna answer the questions in the first post since I have that kind of time:

1. Do you cosplay as certain characters from the book/the movies, or do you have an OC?
First I had an OC. I might post her backstory and outline on here when/if I feel like it :3 Now I want to cosplay Arwen in her coronation dress. Green normally looks hideous on me, but I think a pale, sea foam green will work. And the fact that I've found awesome tutorials and references on that dress don't hurt either ^_^

2. What got you into the fandom and when did you start cosplaying from it?
I won't lie. The movies. I'm still in love with them despite not having read the books yet (I can only take so much of Tolkien describing the hobbits walking around a tree before I need something else to stay awake), and the costumes were simply stunning. A lot of love went into those films and it's evident from the final products. My OC will be my first cosplay from the series, and Arwen will (hopefully) be my second. One of my dreams is to cosplay the Mouth of Sauron, though -daydreams- Maybe I can paint my horse and get some action shots on horseback -daydreams even harder-

3. The movies - what do you think? Great inspiration or totally off?
I love them. I don't care what anyone says. Even if they're off from the books, it's going to happen. A lot of things need to be cut for pacing, a lot of things are going to change for continuity/budget/script reasons. Hey, at least it's not like Queen of the Damned -shudders-

4. Any particular race (Elf, Hobbit, Man...) you prefer cosplaying? Why?
The Elves. A minor part of me likes them because I was once told I had very Elf-like qualities (stfu, I thought it was a nice compliment ), and the major reason I want to cosplay them is because I aspire to be like them in a way, if that doesn't make me sound completely insane. Think about it: they're beautiful, long-lived, excellent warriors, concerned about the greater good and the world around them, a wonderful sense of community is ingrained in their societies, and they're tall and have kickin' wardrobes XD

Anyway, what I'd really like to be able to do is have a full set of all the female's outfits since there's only three in the whole damn series XD And come up with a set for my OC as well
Stormraven24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 11:12 PM   #57
Berzerker_prime
Harmless Historical Nut

I've wanted to make one of the Fountain Guard costumes for a long time, now. You know, the ones with the feathers sticking out of their helmets on the sides of their heads? That whole thing is pretty as all get-out.

I play a LotR larp-like thingy (it's sorta larp, sorta not) every six months, so I've done a lot of costumes. They've all been geared toward running through the woods, though, so often they're more practical than impressive and usually not based on anything in the movies or other artwork.

The best one I've probably done was my Ring Wraith. It gets trotted out to freak people out every once in a while at need. Second to that was probably my Derufin costume (in-game he was labeled as "citadel guard of Gondor") and it got recycled into a Beregond costume. My Galadriel looked good, but was mainly comprised of existing pieces. Smaug was fun to make, but definitely shows most obviously the function-over-form philosophy I usually have to take.

I want to do more LotR show pieces. But a while ago, I heard this rumor that Weta had problems with people making reproductions and competing with them in competitions, so I've been a little afraid to try it. Has anyone else ever heard this? Am I better off taking a description from the books and making my own design?

Masquerade Director for Geek.Kon.2013

Chairman - Costume Con Madison, 2016
Berzerker_prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 12:09 PM   #58
Stormraven24
Fear my whimsy!

^ That's the first I've heard about it. What exactly is the issue? I understand losing profits off people selling reproductions at much lower costs, but is that what they're worried about? :/

And that's really cool you want to do a guard uniform! Their helmets are one of my top faves (the Second Age Elves being my top fave). And I'm just about in love with their spears

And I just about fangasmed a few minutes ago: I found a couple fabrics in near-perfect shades of green for Arwen's coronation dress! Ordering a few swatches to see how the fabric feels and might drape to be safe -crosses fingers-
Stormraven24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 06:32 PM   #59
Satine

Weta doesn't compete in contests that I know of. In what context was this rumour? If you ever go to a con where there is a Weta stand and you rock up in your kit they'll want to talk- but it'll be good "what did you make this from" talk I know from personal experience and other people I know
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 08:33 PM   #60
Berzerker_prime
Harmless Historical Nut

I can't remember where I heard it. It was a number of years ago, now. Just something about some costumers who had competed in Masquerades with their own reproductions getting cease and desist orders from Weta.

But it sort of sounds like it was just a vicious rumor.

Excellent...

Masquerade Director for Geek.Kon.2013

Chairman - Costume Con Madison, 2016
Berzerker_prime is offline   Reply With Quote