Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Costume-Con

Unread 04-21-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

To masquerade or not to masquerade...

Ok, so I know this is something I need to decide for myself, but I'm deciding to take my indecisiveness to the internets.

I actually just decided that I was going to CC 27 about a week ago (longgg story) so I don't have anything made up specifically for the event. I've been sort of entertaining the idea of entering the historic masquerade with an existing Victorian dress (needs a few repairs/alterations/other tweaks, but this definitely can be done in time). Though, I'm wondering if it would actually be worth it. I don't mean that in the low self esteem "Why bother, I don't stand a chance" sort of way (I've had great experiences in several competitions where I was a long shot and came home empty handed), but I'm wondering if I would have a better experience and learn more from just watching the first time to see what to expect.

Thoughts?
youtube channel! Facebook Page
alpha_helix is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2009, 08:42 PM   #2
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

If you can put together some strong documentation on the authenticity of your dress, undergarments, etc., then you might as well enter it in the masquerade. If you didn't make it to be historically accurate, but it isn't such an obvious departure that it would fit into the "historically inspired" category, then you might want to wear it in the audience instead this time around. If you haven't read the historical masq rules, they're here: http://www.costume-con.com/cc27/historical_masq.htm

Too strict for anything I could pull out of my closet, anyway.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 08:43 PM   #3
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

As someone who has competed a number of times but sat out the first CC masquerade I went to out of intimidation? There's no need to watch to get the hang of it. All I learned by watching was that I was a big dumb chicken and next time (aka this year) I must compete. BUT...if you've never competed before or don't know what you'd do for a presentation, then watching is just as valid. Competition is, in and of itself, a learning experience - you'd probably learn more by participating than watching.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

Kuormori: I think you figured out my situation exactly! It's accurate in terms of cut, tailoring, and foundation garments, and I could probably pull together some documentation, but materials? Not hugely accurate here.

thanks for your help
Unread 04-22-2009, 12:54 AM   #5
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

I feel either is fine.
Koumori has said everything I would have said regarding entering the historical masqeurade.
My personal experience was sitting out from the stage competitions the first year and just doing hall costumes and watching all the competitions. I found it to be quite enjoyable just to watch a few masquerades for a change, and of course all the masquerades at CC are "Wow!"
The next year I enetered the Single Pattern and had a great time.
I think either can be fun. If you have something ready however why not try?
Best of luck to you! See you there.
~Kaijugal

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
RaDragon76
Outlaw Robin

Either one is fine. You don't have to compete if you don't want to.

I competed at the first Costume Con I went to in 2007 and last year as well. The first year I competed in the Historical and the second the Sci-Fi/Fantasy and I count both as a learning experience. This year I was hoping to compete in the Single Pattern and Sci-Fi/Fantasy but sadly I can't afford to go this time around. Next year I'm thinking of trying to compete in both the Historical and the Sci-Fi/Fantasy but it kind of depends on money and time. Khenemetset and I already have an interesting plan for the Historical next year.

Last edited by RaDragon76 : 04-22-2009 at 06:29 PM.
RaDragon76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2009, 11:27 AM   #7
Gravely

I have seen many many cosplay folks come to their first CC and enter stuff that they had made previously, do just fine, so please don't let that sway you.

If you love being on stage, then you should go for it.

no matter what you may win or not, there will be plenty of people who enjoy what you are doing.
I also look at it this way. CC has history behind it. It's nice to be a part of that. Get your picture taken , be in the archives forever, I think that's kinda cool, and something that I don't believe any other con has.
a picture in their files, open to other costumers, of every costume that ever walked across it's stage.

nope not kinda cool. very cool.

Gravely
owner of Castle Blood the most interactive, costume friendly haunted house anywhere.
Co-Chair Costume-Con 27 ( 2009) Baltimore,Maryland
Cosplay Guest of Honor, Anime North, Toronto, May 2009,2010
founding president NJ/NY chapter ICG
2004 recipient ICG Lifetime Achievement Award
http://www.facebook.com/gravely.maccabre
Gravely is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

Ack, now I feel even more undecided. Part of me feels like if I try to scramble to get together documentations and a presentation I'll just stress myself out--not something I need since this is term paper week!

I think coming up with a presentation would stress me out the most because I'm so utterly clueless about what would be typical /expected, and looking on YouTube didn't help much. The best I can think up is choosing some nice music, and parading around the stage to show off my costume.

Blech, putting off decision making for now. Again. >_>
Unread 04-27-2009, 06:20 PM   #9
rednecko

Have you thought about being part of the Green Room (if sapce is available)? The most fun in fandom is working Green Rooms at Conventions. I am kind of sad I can't help out at Balticon's Masquerade green room this year due to throwing a party.
rednecko is offline   Reply With Quote