Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Costume-Con

Unread 05-07-2009, 06:28 PM   #16
Gravely

so, I had a very quick reaction to all the comments about turning over my hem.
I thought I might be nuts, so I wrote a few folks that have workmanships judged and asked them.
here was the consensus.

The workmanship judge had better be able to know enough to know what the insides look like FROM the OUTSIDE

if the overall sewing seems really well done, wasting times on hems that look FINE from outside is, well, a waste of time. Especially when
a- time is crunched
b- there are so many cool things on the costume, that sometimes at the cc level we assume you can properly hem a skirt.( depending on skill division)

we can tell pretty soon, what the level of the skill of a costumer is when they walk up to us. and I would bet that plenty of hems got looked at because that was the only thing TO look at.

I hope this makes sense.

It's so nice to see that workmanship is so important to so many people now, when it used to be such an afterthought, and not an every convention thing.

and my comments are just for the SF/F. I assume all seams are important in the historical, since you have to reproduce period techniques so often

Gravely
owner of Castle Blood the most interactive, costume friendly haunted house anywhere.
Co-Chair Costume-Con 27 ( 2009) Baltimore,Maryland
Cosplay Guest of Honor, Anime North, Toronto, May 2009,2010
founding president NJ/NY chapter ICG
2004 recipient ICG Lifetime Achievement Award
http://www.facebook.com/gravely.maccabre
Gravely is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-07-2009, 06:33 PM   #17
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

I have to agree with Crazy Flower that CCon isnít for everyone - it's only for those who care about workmanship and improving their costumes. Those people should go whenever they have the opportunity. I hope that everyone from cos.com who went this year will spread the word.

On the lulz-o-meter, it was not the most fun Iíve ever had at a con (that would be PAC) but it definitely out-classed every other con Iíve been to for being organized and informative. The con staff was incredibly friendly and helpful and always easy to find. Everything ran smoothly and on time. I liked the hotel. It was easy to get to and there was a grocery store (and a liquor store P: ) within easy walking distance. I was amused to see that there was also a craft store within walking distance Ė useful for last minute costume emergencies! The hotel had a nice exercise room (Iím at the age where itís use it or lose it). I was also able to get both a microwave and a mini-fridge for our room for a one time fee of $15 each which was a huge time and money saver. There was plenty of room to move around the hallways and rooms where the events were held and I liked the central gathering place in the atrium. I personally thought that the atrium worked well for main events given the number of attendees.

I have only a single very minor criticism regarding the facility. The moveable partition separating the rooms Chesapeake 1 and 2 was not at all sound proof. The sound from the panel next door was distracting, especially when that panel was being run by someone who is *ahem* geared *ahem* towards projecting from a stage.

I loved the scheduling. It was great to be able to eat dinner without missing anything. I also loved that there was nothing scheduled against the masquerades. It was nice to have events where you knew that basically everyone at the con was sharing in the experience.

The main reason that I went to CCon was to learn things. And learn I did. Basically, I went to panels all day. In any given time slot I almost always had to choose between two things that I wanted to see. The panels I attended ranged from very good to OMG amazing. My favorite panels were the EL Wire/LED demo, the fiber-reactive dyeing workshop and the draping demonstration. Dina, who ran the last one, was fabulous. She had run a number of other panels earlier that I didnít go to in favor of other things, sewing being the one aspect of costuming that I feel pretty confident about, but if the draping one had been first I would have gone to all her other ones.

The second reason that I went to CCon was to meet all the cos.com people that Iíve been running into online for the last couple of years. It was great fun to finally meet everyone IRL. Iím not even going to list people because I met so many, I know that Iíll leave someone out! It was wonderful to see you all.

The only minor disappointment for me was that I wished Iíd been able to talk to more non-cosplay.com folks, the historical costumers especially. But then I also wish that Iíd been able to talk even more to the cosplay.com people as well. There just arenít enough hours in the day! I think that next time rather than watching the masquerades, Iíll volunteer to work the green room or clerk for the workmanship judges to maximize my opportunities to talk shop with people.

As for when next time will be, Iím afraid that Milwaukee isnít in the cards. Even if it werenít out of driving range for me, real life is going to be crazy next spring. As of right now though, I have every intention of being at CC29 in New Jersey, though hopefully I will see at least some of you before then at other cons.

Finally, one last thank you to Ricky, Marty, their staff and all the panelists for putting on such a great event! I hope that you felt that all your hard work was worth it. I sure did!
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2009, 11:00 PM   #18
AnimatedPoison

The word for CostumeCon that comes to mind is different. This was my first one, after about ten years of going to anime cons.

I was surprised by how small it was, but size wasn't a bad thing either. It was a lot easier to chat with people, particularly when you kept seeing the same people over and over again! It was really refreshing to be able to ask people about craftsmanship and get good, useful answers to those questions. It was really refreshing to see original costumes, AND more importantly, to be surrounded by people who had an appreciation for that. Anime cons have a tendency to get too bogged down into who makes The Perfect (character name here), and that's silly-- it takes away from the fun in costuming.

I wish I had made it to more of the panels, but what I did attend was very informative, very useful/practical. I liked that the panels were more educational, instead of pow-wows to gush about common interests. I really liked that the programming was more relaxed. I didn't feel rushed to be anywhere, and I wasn't having to constantly decide between what to do (if anything) from an overpacked schedule. That break around dinnertime was excellent. The social was a great way to start the weekend, and the hosting hotel had a great layout for that to be possible. I had the best interactions with people just chatting out there and at the bar. People were very friendly and generally approachable, though there were still some clique-ish things going on. Overall though, it was as simple as going up to someone, saying you liked their costume, and asking about how they made something or what material they used, etc.

I've got to say some of my biggest frustrations with anime cons is coping with the crowd and the negative attention-getting behaviors and the sometimes divisive nature involved in costuming. I didn't have that at Costume Con. There was not a moment where I thought "Why did I come here?" There was not a moment where the behavior of other people infringed on my good time. Nobody tried to make anyone else feel like they weren't good enough. Most importantly, those staffing the convention were very welcoming and friendly, and were very encouraging to those of us who were first-timers. They made the effort to mingle with attendees and talk to them when they had the time-- wearing costumes too, and it's really great to see them having fun with everyone else and showing interest in the people they've brought in to the event.

I would definitely go again if it was local (mostly for financial reasons), so I'll probably head out to Jersey in 2011.
AnimatedPoison is offline   Reply With Quote