Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 215 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-21-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Contact Lens FAQs

This FAQ is a starting point for those new to contacts or who have questions. See an eye doctor before considering contact lenses - you are solely responsible for your eyes! If you have questions concerning contact lenses, please post them here as you are likely not the only one with that question!
-------------------------
Table of Contents
1.) Finding Lenses/Where to Buy
2.) Getting Started: Advice & Terms to Know
3.) Contact Lenses: You Versus Parents
4.) Contact Lens Urban Myths
5.) Inserting and Removing Your Lenses/ Makeup
6.) Bad Vision, Astigmatism, Crazy Sizes, etc.
7.) Circle Lenses
8.) Lens and Case Care
9.) Wear Time
10.) What Not to Do With Lenses!
11.) Emergency Situations & Issues: Lost lenses etc.
12.) How Lenses Look
13.) Safely Buying Lenses Online
14.) Fun Stuff - Quizzes

::: 1.) Finding Lenses/Where to Buy :::

I’m looking for _______ colored/ designed contacts for [insert character name]! Where can I find them?

Before you go posting a new thread, check out these links:
a.) Shop by character/color
b.) Shop according to starting price range!
c.) Shop specifically for circle lenses
d.) Shop for colored toric lenses

::::::::::::::: 2.) Getting Started: Advice & Terms to Know :::::::::::::::

How are lenses made?
Watch this video!

Do I need to see an eye doctor to get lenses?

Yes, contact lenses are not one size will not fit all. At your appointment you will get a prescription for vision correction if needed, base curve, and diameter. Even if your country doesn't require an eye exam, you still need a proper fitting lens made of a material compatible with your eyes. Lenses that aren't right for you can mean discomfort, inflammation, swelling, abrasion, lack of oxygen to your eyes, or could in rare cases result in permanent tissue damage and blindness.

Your eye doctor will also show you how to insert, remove, and properly clean and store your lenses and may give you some trial lenses too. Also, your eye doctor should be able to obtain any lenses you want. It's easy, safe, and reliable.

Getting fitted for lenses is important! [a news segment]
Contact Lenses: What to Know Before You Buy
[Mayo Health Clinic]
Eye Exams don't have to cost a fortune! [Discounts!]

Fairness to Contact Lens Consumers Act + Overseas Purchasing
Read more here

Can I get lenses without a prescription?
Contact lenses are considered medical devices and require a prescription to purchase them (US). Many foreign countries don't have this law.

My eye doctor asked me to come back after he fitted me with lenses – why?
This visit is to check that you are not experiencing any discomfortdue to the lenses. This visit is generally included in your initial lens fitting fee.

I wear glasses - can't I just use the same prescription?
No. Contact lenses are worn on the eyes versus lenses in your glasses are a set distance in front of them. The prescriptive powers will be completely different. You can wear plano lenses and your prescription glasses over them.

Should I get contact lenses? Consider the following:
What: are you using them for? To add to a cosplay, to get glasses off your face?
When: will you wear them? Just for that one cosplay or can they be used for many costumes or daily wear?
How: much money are you willing to spend? Initial eye exam/fittings cost $50+ and add the price of lenses
When: do you want them? During peak seasons like Halloween, offices and shops experience an influx of appointments and purchases, plan ahead.
Are: you responsible enough to take care of your lenses AND your eyes?

What are some different types of lenses?
Bifocals - provide clear vision at varying distances just like the glasses
Circle Lens – Popular in Asia, lenses that make eyes look bigger.
Cosmetic Colored Lenses - change your eye color (natural colors)
Custom Contact Lenses - could work for you if other options fail
Disposables - enable a healthier wearing experience. Wear them for a day and toss them
Extended Wear - for safe overnight wear or naps
Gas Permeable (GP)/ Hard lenses - long-lasting way to provide crisp vision, may initially be uncomfortable
Monovision - might work for you if bifocal contact lenses don't
Prosthetic lenses - mask eye injury or disfigurements
Sclera Lens – a lens that covers the entire eye
Silicone Hydrogel - transmit more oxygen to your eyes
Spfx/Theatrical - change eye color/look dramatically e.g. crazy lenses
Toric – lenses with weights that correct astigmatism
Enhancers vs. Opaques NEW!

Decoding your prescription - what all the terms mean
OD – Right eye
OS – Left eye
PWR/SPHERICAL – Power for vision correction
BC – Base curve or the actual curve of your eye
DIA – Diameter: Determines where the lens edges rest on your eye
CYLINDRICAL – Toric lenses: will treat the cylindrical aberration
AXIS – Toric lenses: is the orientation of the cylinder of your lens
PLANO – no power (will not correct or change vision)

Why are Base Curve and Diameter Important?
People's eyes are shaped differently! Check this page for diagrams and explanations!

Is there an age limit to contact lenses?
Age is no longer a problem! There are bifocal lenses and lenses that are great for chronic-dry-eye sufferers.

::::::::::::::::::: 3.) Contact Lenses: You Versus Parent :::::::::::::::::::

I want contacts, but my parents disagree – help!

There are major factors behind many parents decisions:
1.) Money – they aren’t cheap especially if you have a high prescription or astigmatism. Young people’s eyes can change a lot. Can you afford to keep updating your prescription frequently if need be?
2.) Responsibility – You have to be meticulous about cleaning your lenses or you will run into trouble. If you feel you are responsible enough to properly handle lenses but your parents are still iffy, suggest a trial period where you can “prove” that you can handle this responsibility.

::::::::::::::::::::::: 4.) Contact Lens Urban Myths :::::::::::::::::::::::

Can a contact slide to the back of your eye?

No. The eye is basically a closed pocket. Should you disturb your lens by rubbing your eye, it may slide under your upper eyelid. Try applying rewetting drops and blink a few times, the lens will usually drop down – or see your eye doc if you still can't locate it for quick & easy removal.

Contact lenses can give me eye/vision problems, right?

No! Lens-related problems can occur but they are generally related to ill-fitting/damaged lenses, wrong material/lens type for your eyes, and improper cleaning/care of lenses.

I heard Circle Lenses are really bad for your eyes and can cause eye/vision problems! Is that true?
Circle lenses are popular and as a result are sometimes counterfeited. Be sure you buy a legit pair of lenses that fit your measurements. Take care of your lenses and you'll be fine.

I heard contact lenses turn to glass and shatter in your eye if they get dry!
No-When your lenses are dry, they will be uncomfortable to wear and may pop out, that's all.

:::::::::::::: 5.) Inserting and Removing Your Lenses/ Makeup ::::::::::::::

Tips

1: Wash hands thoroughly & avoid using soaps with heavy oils, fragrances, and lanolin.
2: Cover your sink drain so you don't lose a lens.
3: Gently shake your lens case to free any lens that may have settled. Do not attempt to pull a lens off the side of the case as it may tear.
4: Handle the same lens first to avoid mixups if your lenses are powered

Last edited by Ion : 04-30-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Part 2

Application: HERE'S A TUTORIAL

There are “plungers” which are designed to touch the surface of the lens and pull it off the eye. Never attempt to use tweezers for insertion or removal of lenses. Those that come with lens cases are for fishing the lens out of a vial/case.

Is there a right side out for contact lenses?
Yes – you will have a very difficult time putting a lens in if it is inverted. Here’s a diagram below:

Cosmetics and Contacts? Which order?
Insert your lenses first, then apply your cosmetics. If you get some makeup in your eye, remove the lens, rinse it in solution thoroughly, rinse your eye as well, and reinsert. To remove your makeup, remove lenses first taking care not to let any makeup touch your eyes or lenses. Then wash your makeup off.

It takes me so long to get my contacts in! Does it get easier?
Yes, practice makes perfect...or better at least. Since this is not an inborn behavior, it will take some work, but after a few months of wear, most people get the hang of it. If you are having difficulties, consult your doctor.

:::::::::::::::: 6.) Bad Vision, Astigmatism, Crazy Sizes, etc. ::::::::::::::::

Astigmatism: Can I just wear regular lenses?

Astigmatism is measured in units called diopters. If your astigmatism is less than 1 diopter, you are considered to have a mild astigmatism. People in this situation are frequently prescribed regular contact lenses without the axis and cylindrical measurements. For anything above mild, toric lenses are generally prescribed.
Mild <1.00 D
Moderate 1.00 to 2.00 D
Severe 2.00 to 3.00 D
Extreme > 3.00 D

I have an astigmatism and need toric lenses. Can I find any colored toric lenses?
E-circlelens is a good place to check for toric circle lenses (albeit if you're astigmatism is very strong, you can't use them). Please note you're custom ordering so it takes about 2 weeks to make the lenses before they ship out.

List of toric lens brands

How can I convert my toric prescription measurements to spherical measurements? I want to buy regular contact lenses without the axis or cylinder.
While this will work, it will likely not give you satisfactory visual clarity if your astigmatism is above -1.

The example prescription was Power -4.00, Cylinder -1.75, Axis 180

To get a spherical power for a lens you would add the spherical component to 1/2 the astigmatic component. In this example 1/2 of -1.75 of course is not a power available so he recommended dropping it to -1.5, which half of that is -0.75. So this person's spherical lens prescription would be -4.75.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1182504AAQsrIz

What brands can I get if my base curve measurement isn't the standard 8.6?
If you're having trouble finding lenses in your exact base curve, consult your eye doctor. Moving .1-.2 in either direction may present you with many more options.

Is it safe to wear my prescription glasses over plano (non-prescription) lenses?
Yes, as long as your lenses are clean and cared for, there should be no problem. It's not as if you're doubling the powers.

GO TO PART 3
CLICK HERE

CURRENT PROJECTS
Lind - Ah My Goddess | Elsa - Frozen (rework costume) | Tiki - Dragon's Crown | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings

Last edited by Ion : 01-18-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Unread 04-21-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
benihime
Kimono Queen

wow this really helps!

i would say add places that are reputable where you could buy contacts? that'll definitely help

WORKING ON
Haruka (idolm@ster 2)

NEXT CONVENTIONS
A-kon in Dallas, TX

WEBSITE
DEVIANTART FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

benihime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 10:43 PM   #4
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Part 3

My prescription is pretty strong > -6.00. What are some brands that carry lenses in a power I can use?
HERE is a list of colored lenses available in a range that will work for high prescriptions.

Other brands that aren't on that list are Acuvue 2 Colors, Illusions Opaque, Trucolor Elite, and Focus Softcolors Monthly. Many circle lenses range from 0.00 to -10.00. However, it will often depend on the seller and whether they have chosen to stock powered lenses.

::::::::::::::::::::::: 7.) Circle Lenses :::::::::::::::::::::::

What are circle lenses?

Circle lenses, originally developed in Asia, are a type of contact lens which often come in a slightly larger diameter with the color and a dark limbal ring (circle) printed nearly to the edge. The larger lenses make eyes appear larger, other lenses simply change eye color. Circle lenses can be worn by Asians and non-Asians.

Go to Part 4

CURRENT PROJECTS
Lind - Ah My Goddess | Elsa - Frozen (rework costume) | Tiki - Dragon's Crown | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings

Last edited by Ion : 01-18-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Unread 04-21-2009, 11:41 PM   #5
benihime
Kimono Queen

i think if we add something like shipping time to certain countries and price ranges, reliability that'll help?

WORKING ON
Haruka (idolm@ster 2)

NEXT CONVENTIONS
A-kon in Dallas, TX

WEBSITE
DEVIANTART FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

benihime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Part 4

Circle lenses can come in plano, prescription, and toric. Standard colors include blue, green, violet, gray, hazel, brown, and black. They are no more likely to cause vision problems than any other contact lens. Be sure that you are buying an approved brand from a reliable source.

Here's a list of KFDA/GMP Approved Lenses

Places to buy circle lenses

::::::::::::::::::::::: 8.) Lens and Case Care :::::::::::::::::::::::

How do I take care of my lens case?

Eye docs say it is ok to rinse your case in very hot water and dry it when not in use.

What lens solution should I get?
Ask your eye doctor which one is best for your lenses. Many solutions are all-purpose and one bottle cleans, disinfects, and stores lenses but this will vary by brand.

Can I switch lens solutions?
It’s advisable to stick with the solution and cleaning system your eye doctor starts you off with. Every solution has a different chemical makeup and some can contain harsh preservatives which could mean bad news for your particular lenses. If you feel the need to switch, contact your eye doctor for advice first.

When not in use, how often should I switch my solution in the lens case?
Weekly is the most common answer - you don't want bacteria to build up on the lenses when they're in storage.

Do I need to buy one of those contact lens cleaning machines?
These are not necessary but they are nice to have. Think of them as small washing machines for your lenses. You can remove your lenses and put them directly into the machine. The machine then cleans and sterilizes your lenses more effectively than by hand. Machine-cleaning also lowers the risk of tearing and damaging lenses. However, you're meticulous, cleaning lenses by hand will be sufficient.

::::::::::::::::::::::: 9.) Wear Time :::::::::::::::::::::::

How long can I wear my lenses each day?

The amount of time you can safely wear your lenses should be marked on the lens packaging/vials. In many cases for cosmetic lenses it's 6-8 hours. The reason is that the print/color on these lenses restricts more oxygen to your eyes than regular contact lenses would.

For scleral lenses, which cover the entire eye, or custom theatrical lenses, daily wear time is usually much less and is usually due to the decreased oxygen flow to your corneas or sometimes lens material.

How long can I keep my lenses and wear them?
Let's say you have lenses that expire 06/2012 and are good for 60 days. What does this mean?

1.) If left unopened, your lenses are good until that expiry date.
2.) Once the vials are opened, you can wear the lenses for 60 consecutive days (if you really love them), or they can be properly cleaned, stored, and worn on 60 separate occasions.

With proper care wearers can often extend the life of their lenses beyond the 60 day mark in the example, but it is advisable to discard the lenses after their absolute expiry date (which in the example was 06/2012).

GO TO PART 5

CLICK HERE

CURRENT PROJECTS

Last edited by Ion : 01-18-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Unread 05-06-2009, 08:47 PM   #7
hunny.bunniee

Very helpful~
Maybe it would be better if you could upload like the price ranges most contacts go for~
I went and clicked all of them but maybe for others?
Or you can list them in order of price?
Haha, thanks a lot for this!
Unread 05-07-2009, 09:07 AM   #8
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Part 5

::::::::::::::::::::::: 10.) What Not to Do With Your Lenses :::::::::::::::::::::::

Can I change the color of my lenses or make my own design?

Do not attempt to color, paint, or dye, or add a design to a lens. Any such chemicals = harsh, non-sterile, and bad news for the lens and your eyes. If you want a truly unique design or the lenses you want already exist, just save up and buy from a manufacturer.

But custom lenses are “painted” so why can’t I do it too?
Manufactured lenses, even hand-painted lenses, have the color or design sandwiched between layers of the material that actually touches your eye. Your eye will not come into contact with the actual design/color.

GO TO PART 6
CLICK HERE

CURRENT PROJECTS

Last edited by Ion : 01-18-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Unread 05-08-2009, 03:01 AM   #9
Lady_Kana
[insert title here]

I thought this site would be helpful here,because I almost bought from some of these places. Non FDA approved sites

Last edited by Lady_Kana : 06-05-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Lady_Kana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 07:44 AM   #10
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Part 6

Is it safe to piggyback/layer plano cosmetic lenses with my prescription lenses?
Answers will vary – ask your eye doctor. There are medical situations where piggyback fit lenses are prescribed to patients (post-cataract surgery, keratonconus etc etc) and it will also depend on your lenses. But before you go doing anything – consult your eye doctor who knows your eyes best.

Can I sleep with my contacts in?
Unless your lenses are specifically designed for that (extended wear), do not sleep with your lenses in! Most lenses do not allow enough oxygen to get to your corneas when the eyelid is shut over it. This in turn can lead to blood vessels growing deeper in your eyes, infections, lid changes, allergies, corneal warping, corneal swelling and possibly even blindness. Take your lenses out, clean them, and rest easy.

Is it ok to share contact lenses?
Very bad idea due to the risk of infection. Everyone’s tears contain an amount of normal bacteria. You know how sharing eye makeup can spread pink eye, your eyes are even more susceptible to infection when putting something IN them.

Can I swim with my lenses in?
Ask your eye doctor about your particular lenses. It's always a good idea if you're actually swimming (going underwater and all) to wear swim goggles as they will protect your eyes from chemicals and bacteria that can be in the water. Some people who wear daily disposables wear their lenses and toss them post-swim too. Just check with your doctor.

Can I reuse my lens solution?

No. Once your cleaning solution has been dispensed, do not reuse it. Likewise don’t let the top of the bottle touch any surface and be sure to recap the bottle after use to prevent contamination.

Can I rinse my lenses in tap water instead of solution?
Tap water can contain microorganisms and chemicals that are bad for your lenses.

GO TO PART 7
CLICK HERE

CURRENT PROJECTS

Last edited by Ion : 01-18-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Unread 05-09-2009, 04:00 AM   #11
Lady_Kana
[insert title here]

Truthfully, I've never bought from these sites ^^;

I know that sites like that are basically similar to buying contacts from The Alley here...which is just what I said, and alley.
Basically think if you're not going to buy contact lenses from a shady, old, dirty looking man in a dark alley, then would you buy from these places.
It's the same thing more or less.

Sorry I can't help any more than this though
Lady_Kana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2009, 09:59 AM   #12
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Part 7

::::::::::::::::::::::: 11.) Emergency Situations & Issues :::::::::::::::::::::::

My contacts are making my eyes dry!

Talk to your eye doctor for a recommendation on rewetting/ eye drops. The chemical makeup of certain drops can damage some types of lenses! It’s important to know what is ok to use so do ask.

I think my lens is still in my eye, but I can't find it. What do I do?
Try applying rewetting drops and blink a few times, the lens will usually drop down to where it should be – or see your eye doc if you still can't locate it for quick & easy removal.

::::::::::::::::::::::: 12.) How Lenses Look :::::::::::::::::::::::

How do I know what the lenses look like on me? My eyes are super dark!

Some places shop’ their photos to make colors look vivid and when you get them they may be completely different. Thanks to fellow coscom folks, there's an awesome thread with real pictures and reviews.
http://cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=125245

Soompi’s official Circle Lens thread has many pics too. Just be careful, a lot of people on that thread spread urban myths e.g. you'll go blind, lenses are glass, etc.
http://www.soompi.com/forums/lofiver...p/t122581.html

::::::::::::::::::::::: 13.) Safely Buying Lenses Online :::::::::::::::::::::::

Where can I buy my lenses?

In most cases you can order contact lenses directly from the doctor you visit and sometimes offices get special pricing which passes the savings to you.

You can also take your prescription and order online. As always with internet shopping, it is buyer beware. Do your research and make sure you’re buying from someone reliable and that the products are safe. You really do get what you pay for. If your budget is tiny – consider saving up for a quality pair of lenses or forgoing them altogether.

Think before you buy:
1.) Do they accept phone orders & is contact information clearly presented on the website?

2.) When will they ship? Some small companies may not stock certain items so they have to order the items then ship them to you. Keep in mind peak Holiday times like Halloween can cause delays.

3.) Do you trust this company with your credit card and mailing address? It doesn’t hurt to see if the Better Business Bureau has any information about the company. http://www.bbb.org/us/Find-Business-Reviews/

4.) What is their return policy? Suppose you bought a year’s supply of lenses but your prescription changes or suppose they sent you the wrong item or you ordered the wrong item: Find out if the company will exchange any unopened items for you.

5.) Is the page secure? Look for the address to begin with begin with "https://" rather than "http://". Also, there should be a padlock icon — locked, not open — in your browser's status bar.

6.) If you're not sure about a site but think you want to buy, just shoot their customer service an email. If they don't reply or do so very slowly, you may wish to take your business elsewhere.

Ok So where can I get really cheap lenses? I am on a budget!
How about FREE TRIAL lenses? Honestly there hasn’t been a time when I didn’t see FREE TRIAL offers kicking around. Simply visit your eye doctor and ask about free trial lenses (available in both clear and cosmetic colored). If you get several trial colors you can decide which you like best and want to invest in later.

For theatrical or wild designed contact lenses, there won't be free trials and expect to pay more because these are specialty items. It’s not unusual to see this type of lens priced per vial for $50+.

Do not compromise your vision and health for a cheap pair of contact lenses. One day of looking cool in a cosplay is not worth having ruined or no vision for the rest of your life.

::::::::::::::::::::::: 14.) FUN STUFF - Quizzes :::::::::::::::::::::::

TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE!

Note: Passing the quiz is not a substitution for visiting the eye doctor.
http://tynereye.com/quiz.htm
Content © M. Tyner, O.D. Birmingham, AL.

CURRENT PROJECTS

Last edited by Ion : 01-18-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Unread 05-09-2009, 10:55 AM   #13
fin fish
charleston dandy

Yeah, I think it might be a good idea to edit the link text and not call them "dangerous." Like you said, the Asian lenses sold there have been approved by their own FDA; since they aren't approved within the US, it would be reasonable to approach with some caution and keep in mind that your purchase isn't exactly legal, but calling lenses from reputable Korean companies dangerous doesn't seem quite fair. And as for the sellers themselves, I've bought from both Color Lens 4 Less and The Dolly Eye, and both the service and lenses were great.

I think a more important thing to note is the possibility of getting counterfeit lenses, since those do have a better chance of being harmful.
Unread 05-09-2009, 11:53 AM   #14
Ion
Lyrical gangster

:: Enhancers vs Opaque Lenses: What you need to know ::

Enhancers are designed to enhance light eyes. They will make blue or green eyes more vibrant or add a tint to give an in-between color like aquamarine. Think of enhancers like water color paints: they provide a wash of color over something already light.
Enhancers will only work on light eyes. They make no visible change on dark eyes so do not bother wasting your money on them if you do have dark eyes.

Opaque
lenses are just that, opaque. The coloration will be opaque so that it can completely cover the natural eye color. Returning to my art supply reference, opaque lenses would be like pure acrylic paints which will completely cover the surface obscuring whatever color was underneath.

One nice thing about circle lenses is that they were designed with the Asian market in mind, meaning the lenses will by very pigmented to show well on very dark eye colors.
Opaque lenses can be worn by people with light and dark eye colors. When considering a particular brand or pair of lenses, the trick is to look at images and reviews posted by people who own the lenses. Often times sellers use photoshop to make the lenses look more vibrant or completely change the color.
Color payoff, or how well a color shows, will depend greatly on how pigmented the lens is. Fun or theatrical lenses are probably the most pigmented/opaque lenses available. Cosmetic lenses can vary as some may try to blend part of the wearer's natural eye color such as the Freshlook Colorblend lenses.

As a rule of thumb remember the following:
1.) Enhancers = for light eyes only!
2.) Opaques = for anyone!
3.) However, do your research:
a.) Some sellers shoop pics - what you see is not always what you get.
b.) Lenses designed for dark eyes, e.g. circle lenses, may not have the same effect on light eyes.
Otherwise, happy shopping!

CURRENT PROJECTS

Last edited by Ion : 01-04-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Unread 05-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #15
ohsosilly

I keep hearing about how circle lenses can damage your eyes; I was wondering if you knew this was true? I know that there are some brands that are FDA approved, but even then, can you trst that they wont' damage your eye? D: