Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1369 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #16
Lady_Kana
[insert title here]

Ah! touche
There is an alley though and they sell contact lenses,and I wouldn't buy from them lol >_>

I've bought outside the US though, and the contacts I've received were fine. This all makes sense though, and I'm glad somebody cleared it up for me. When I read the site I was all "Oh no FDA doesn't approve, maybe they're bad places?!"

I probably should have re read it though ^^;
Lady_Kana is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #17
Ion
イオン

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsosilly View Post
I keep hearing about how circle lenses can damage your eyes; I was wondering if you knew this was true? I know that there are some brands that are FDA approved, but even then, can you trst that they wont' damage your eye? D:
Bottom line: Any contact lenses can damage your eyes. The key is to properly handle and care for them so you don't damage your eyes.

Circle lenses are slightly larger than regular contact lenses but smaller than full-eye sclera lenses. A dark limbal ring, the outer ring around the iris, is on the edge thus making your eyes look larger.

Being that circle lenses are larger than normal lenses, they are not designed to be worn for extended periods of time, like more than 5 hours at a go. The most common problems people have with any contact lenses are improper cleaning/storage, improper fit, and not taking out lenses if they irritate the eyes.

Circle lenses are obviously very popular in Asia. All the people who've worn them haven't gone blind or suffered eye damage so not ALL circle lenses are bad. I'd be most concerned about receiving counterfeit lenses made from sub-par, unsafe materials.

However, a visit to the eye doctor can procure the FDA-approved lenses you mentioned and all the information needed proper wear, care, and handling of circle lenses. Good luck!

CURRENT PROJECTS
Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2009, 08:22 PM   #18
stefer23

I'm surprised that Four Eyez lenses isn't listed here.
http://foureyez.com/foureyez_colours.html
stefer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2009, 05:36 PM   #19
aliceinbox
starvin cosplayer T_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Kana View Post
I thought this site would be helpful here,because I almost bought from some of these places. Dangerous Contact Sites

Thedollyeye.com
Fashion-ContactLenses.com
Cheapestcolorcontacts.com
Coloryoureyez.com
Eyechange.com

just a few sites on the list
aww... i just bought from fashion contact >.<

great thread btw very informational
Unread 06-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #20
Leash
FFVII Nerd

I just thought I'd add a bit of helpful info.

Contacts companies(even the large brand ones) can make mistakes and send out defective contacts by accident. When you get your contacts and they start to irritate your eye(s), its important to take them out and have your eyes and the contacts examined by an optometrist ASAP! It can be as serious as possibly losing your vision or your eye.

My father's first experience with contacts unfortunately was with a defective contact when he was at the optometrist. Luckily he was there and was able to get the medical attention quickly.

I've been wearing contacts for 7 years now and I recently experienced a defective contact. It scratched my cornea and I had to wear an eye patch and take eye drops every 2 hours (including night too) for several days straight. I was told that I was lucky that I came when I had because a scratch like that would have become infected very quickly. Which could have resulted in vision loss or possibly my eye. I couldn't wear contacts for several weeks.

I can't stress enough how important it is to be careful with your contacts and take care of them. If you order online, try to give yourself a month of extra time in case something goes wrong and always have them looked over by an optometrist for your safety.

~~~~~~~~Want a Buster Sword? (available at Anime Expo only) ~~~~~~~~

Leash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #21
Geek Fairy

This probably sounds like a REALLY dumb question... but can I wear two right eye contacts? o__o The website I want to buy from has boxes of right eye contacts and boxes of left eye contacts - and I really don't want to buy both if I don't have to. XD

Also, when would be a good time to buy the contacts? I won't be wearing them until July, so should I buy soon or wait?
Geek Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #22
Ion
イオン

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek Fairy View Post
This probably sounds like a REALLY dumb question... but can I wear two right eye contacts? o__o The website I want to buy from has boxes of right eye contacts and boxes of left eye contacts - and I really don't want to buy both if I don't have to. XD

Also, when would be a good time to buy the contacts? I won't be wearing them until July, so should I buy soon or wait?
Presuming that you are speaking about getting plano (non-prescriptive) lenses there is no difference in left or right lenses unless you have a different b.c. or diameter for one eye. If you have the same b.c./diameter and don't need a prescription, getting 2 lenses designated as "right lenses" or "left lenses" won't be a problem.

As to when to buy them, most lenses are packaged to last for about 2 years if unopened. Ask the seller for details. But otherwise, buy any time. I wouldn't wait until the last minute either.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Unread 06-08-2009, 01:55 AM   #23
kkoganei1328
chachamaru!!

As wonderful an intention this thread is for those who want contact lense info, the best advice, will always be from an optometrist, unless ion is a liscensed OD, then i'll shut up, please carry on!
kkoganei1328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 07:01 AM   #24
Spinni

I apoligise in advance on how silly this may sound..

How long can you keep soft contacts for? Considering they have been used before but kept in good condition?

I have contacts I got from a local store which are what a friend called 'soft contacts' and wildly coloured. I've used them a few times before and have kept them in solution filled bottles (Which they came in) unfortunately they only came with basic health and safety and didn't tell me everything I needed to know (Like how to apply them)

(Sorry if this doesn't make sense ^^; )
Unread 06-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #25
han-pan

You need to replace the solution every thirty days. Each pair of contact lenses has an expiration date, usually packaged to last for about two years. If you don't wear them too often and take proper care of them (wash them and replace the solution every thirty days if you don't wear them) then they should last for about two years. Does that help?

@kkoganei1328: A lot of people don't realize that they need to see an optometrist, so this thread exists as a general first reference for people who have never talked to their docs about contacts. This by NO means replaces a conversation with the doctor, but gives the users a launching point for contact use as well as along-the-way tips and pointers for cosplay specific contact users. At least, that's the way I feel about it

Guess what, Japanime costume players....
YOU'RE NOT THE ENTIRETY OF THE COSPLAY WORLD.
Stop being so closeminded. Just because someone cosplays doesn't mean they're an otaku or a weeaboo.

In Progress: Super Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon

Last edited by han-pan : 06-08-2009 at 07:16 PM.
han-pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 09:31 PM   #26
Ion
イオン

@ kkoganei1328: I am not a licensed OD and this is as HanPan said, a first step FAQ for people who are interested in contact lenses but don't know where to start. I mentioned that people need to see an optometrist throughout the FAQ & replies.

I do hope it isn't coming off as a "READ THIS THREAD: ONCE COMPLETED YOU ARE NOW CERTIFIED TO WEAR CONTACT LENSES" kind of deal as that was not my intention at all. 8U

It was an attempt to stem the flow of new threads asking things like, "CAN I DRAW ON MY LENSES AND MAKE SHARINGAN LENSES?!" and the like. Futile though it may be. I just wanted to get all the cards on the table so people new to contact lenses could get a glimpse of what is involved with wearing & caring for them.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Unread 06-09-2009, 02:38 AM   #27
Spinni

Quote:
Originally Posted by han-pan View Post
You need to replace the solution every thirty days. Each pair of contact lenses has an expiration date, usually packaged to last for about two years. If you don't wear them too often and take proper care of them (wash them and replace the solution every thirty days if you don't wear them) then they should last for about two years. Does that help?

That helps alot! Thank you very much!!
Unread 06-09-2009, 02:55 AM   #28
kkoganei1328
chachamaru!!

Sorry if I came out as a bit harsh, but I'm just worried for everyone's eye health. Its a very touchy subject for me because I have family who are blind, even with something as 'trivial' as contact lenses. Steering people in the right direction is very important, the things people ask here are very cringe worthy. So I do appreciate you (Ion) comming out to clear up misunderstandings people have with contact lenses and pushing them to the right direction.

Like ion, I cannot emphasize enough, that any questions anyone has regarding contact lenses and such, should really be directed to your optometrist (OD), this thread should ONLY serve as a reference and by no means used as the medical advice you are looking for. Since we're not OD's make sure you verify with one before you try something.
kkoganei1328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2009, 10:22 AM   #29
han-pan

I think the most common thing that people on cos.com who wear contacts even say about it is that people neeeeeed to see an eye doctor and shouldn't buy from places that don't check prescriptions.

Hm. I thought I'd seen one of these threads before. http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=166105 is another thread on this topic, but I think this one is in the right location. Idk if there's info there that isn't here that you might want to add in. ^^

Guess what, Japanime costume players....
YOU'RE NOT THE ENTIRETY OF THE COSPLAY WORLD.
Stop being so closeminded. Just because someone cosplays doesn't mean they're an otaku or a weeaboo.

In Progress: Super Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon
han-pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #30
aliceinbox
starvin cosplayer T_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinni View Post
I apoligise in advance on how silly this may sound..

How long can you keep soft contacts for? Considering they have been used before but kept in good condition?

I have contacts I got from a local store which are what a friend called 'soft contacts' and wildly coloured. I've used them a few times before and have kept them in solution filled bottles (Which they came in) unfortunately they only came with basic health and safety and didn't tell me everything I needed to know (Like how to apply them)

(Sorry if this doesn't make sense ^^; )
it depends on the lens
soft lenses can be for daily, bi-weekly, monthly or annual use
if you post the brand name of the lens maybe some one with the same lenses can tell you how long it's good for