Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 03-25-2009, 01:53 AM   #1
MDA
Destiny Productions

Styling Larxene Wig ~ Tutorial

I know that some people can have a hard time with styling a Larxene wig, so I thought I might help out those of you who want to cosplay her (there are too few in my opinion) and may want help in styling a wig for her. The hair glues I used can be bought at Wal-Mart or Zellers. I paid $5 CDN for the spiking glue, and $7 CDN for the spray.

Of course, I'm going to show how I styled the Larxene wig that I did for a friend of mine.

What I Used:

Blond Jesus wig (try to get a wig without a part instead, that's pulled back)
2 pieces of thin copper wire [yes, I used wire]
Got2b glued spiking glue
Got2b glued Blasting Freeze Spray

To the steps!!

~~If you bought a wig that has a part (like I did), do this so that you can have it pulled back:
First, separate the strands of hair that you are going to use for the antennae (put clips in them to hold them away if necessary) and then take the strands of hair in the middle and smooth them back over the wig, trying to cover the part. Once you've figured out how you want the hair that's going to be pulled back, take a fair amount of the spiking glue, and run it through the middle hair, and only there so that it stays that you only get that. Use a hairdryer set on low to set the glue and train the fiber hair to go a different way.

+++

Those of you who didn't buy a wig with a part, you still need to separate the strands you're going to use for the antennae. Make sure they are equal amounts, and at equal points on the wig! Start with one side first.

Take the desired side you want to start with, the antennae first of course. Now this is where the wire comes in. Spread the hair just behind the first antennae so that the net of the wig is exposed. Loop one end of the wire through a whole and up on beside it (in front or behind it, not beside) and make sure it's a tiny amount you put through. Secure it by twisting the end around the part of it that's going to loop up and over the wig. With the other end, do the same thing. Place to as would be best for you. Adjust the height and curve if necessary. If it seems like it's falling to the side, simply adjust the wire by moving it up on the wig a little bit.

Take the clip out of the antennae (if you've done that) and wrap it tightly around the wire, trying to cover as much as possible. Again, using the spiking glue, use a considerable amount on it, applying liberally along the entire thing. Use the hair dryer again on low. You will have to hold the middle of the antenna with one hand so that it stays. Leave it for a few minutes and spray with the Blasting Freeze Spray.

Now for the side below the antenna that you've just done. Pull it back a little, making sure to keep the net covered as much as possible (don't want that showing through, especially if you have dark hair). Use the spray liberally to hold it in place, using your free hand to smooth it out. Make sure that there's a small piece that comes down so you can do the piece that goes in front of her ear. Cut it and place it to how it should be for YOU.

On the back, use the spray gently, and leave the ends fluffy.

Repeat the process on the opposite side.

+++

I hope this is of any use to anyone that wants to cosplay Larxene~!
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2009, 07:02 AM   #2
Poki_Toshi

Oh this is good! I've been wanting to know how to do this. lol I have a friend who is going to cosplay Larxene.
Upcoming cons: Momocon, Dragoncon, AWA
Poki_Toshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 12:30 AM   #3
MDA
Destiny Productions

Well, I hope this helps! Be careful with the wire though, when I restyled my friend's wig the wire got caught when I went to readjust it.
Unread 03-27-2009, 12:55 AM   #4
Poki_Toshi

I'll keep that in mind. ^__^ thanks again.
Upcoming cons: Momocon, Dragoncon, AWA
Poki_Toshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 08:54 AM   #5
Jamosaurrx
PANIC MODE.

Woo! I'll be getting my Larxene wig soon, so this is really helpful. 8D Thanks.

Cosplays
Complete: Beyond Birthday; Light Yagami; Xion; Rena Ryuguu; Sasori
In progress: Larxene; Shion Sonozaki; Kadaj; Hitachiin Kaoru; Sebastian Michaelis; Russia
Planned: Shihouin Yoruichi
Jamosaurrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2009, 12:58 PM   #6
nikkiolie

Is there any pictures? I would love to see some. For my Larxene costume I used my own hair. I stuck it back with hairspray like hers then I pulled the two antenna pieces out and covered them in hair spray. After that I used a flat iron to shape them with. The beginning I started straight up then moved back over my head to give the curve. I am still working on getting the right shape. The first time I did it they were too wide. http://images.cosplay.com/photos/19/1990121.jpg

I also used Got2b glued
nikkiolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2009, 12:49 AM   #7
Musicalpencil
great now I'M the bad guy

Oh my god I love you.

Murphy's Law of Cosplay:
"If she thinks for half a minute this is gonna be a stroll,
she can kiss my you-know-what 'cos you-know-who is in control!”
Musicalpencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2009, 02:49 AM   #8
MDA
Destiny Productions

There are some pictures on deviantART, at my friend's page. She's Larxene-of-the-Roses She has a picture posted up of how the wig was originally styled, but we haven't gotten any pictures of the wig since it was restyled in January. But there will be some after next weekend (the weekend of the 15th) of the new wig.
Madness of Duke Venomania Kaito Shion (Vocaloid) [70%] | Blake Belladonna (RWBY) [100%] | God Tier Jake English (Homestuck) [100%] | Nightie Grell Sutcliff (Kuroshihtsuji) [100%] | Condesce (Homestuck) [100%]

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
Unread 05-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
Sunarry
~Heartless Need Love Too~

This is awsome!!! I'm so glad someone finally made a tutorial on this :3

Last edited by Sunarry : 05-08-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Sunarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #10
DeathByCosplay
...Better Than Chocolate

Wow, thanks so much for making this! :'D

-Upcoming Cosplays-
Mad Hatter Axel (Wonderland)- 95%
Saix- 35%
Reno- 65%

-Upcoming Cons-
Saboten-Con 09-
Mad Hatter Axel (Friday)
Casual Saix (Saturday)
Pajama Saix? (Sunday?)
DeathByCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2009, 04:03 PM   #11
momo6548
Lolita in Training

Wow this is really helpful! But um...im not using a wig and some of this stuff seems dangerous for real hair. Any advice on how to style real hair into the antennas?

Goron Tunic Link (Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)
SF-A2 Miki (Vocaloid)
Super Sailor Mercury (Sailor Moon)
momo6548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2009, 10:34 PM   #12
MDA
Destiny Productions

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo6548 View Post
Wow this is really helpful! But um...im not using a wig and some of this stuff seems dangerous for real hair. Any advice on how to style real hair into the antennas?
Since you're going to use your real hair, perhaps just twisting your hair like you would around the wire, and using LOTS of hair glue. That's really the only thing I can think of... you might need a friend to help you with it...
Madness of Duke Venomania Kaito Shion (Vocaloid) [70%] | Blake Belladonna (RWBY) [100%] | God Tier Jake English (Homestuck) [100%] | Nightie Grell Sutcliff (Kuroshihtsuji) [100%] | Condesce (Homestuck) [100%]

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
Unread 07-06-2009, 12:26 AM   #13
momo6548
Lolita in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDA View Post
Since you're going to use your real hair, perhaps just twisting your hair like you would around the wire, and using LOTS of hair glue. That's really the only thing I can think of... you might need a friend to help you with it...
Thats a good idea. Just using the wire make my kinda scared, i'd find some way to hurt myself xD but yeah, i'll definatly have someone help me with this. Lots of hair glue and spray and then blow dry, thats what i've heard is a good plan. I just hope i dont, like, destroy my hair :O

SF-A2 Miki (Vocaloid)
Unread 07-06-2009, 01:14 AM   #14
MDA
Destiny Productions

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo6548 View Post
Thats a good idea. Just using the wire make my kinda scared, i'd find some way to hurt myself xD but yeah, i'll definatly have someone help me with this. Lots of hair glue and spray and then blow dry, thats what i've heard is a good plan. I just hope i dont, like, destroy my hair :O
It won't. I've used loads of hair glue on my hair to make it stand up, and all it does is make your hair rock hard. Washes out with one shampoo and your hair is fine.

2014 Cons/Events:

Facebook | deviantART
Unread 07-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #15
momo6548
Lolita in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDA View Post
It won't. I've used loads of hair glue on my hair to make it stand up, and all it does is make your hair rock hard. Washes out with one shampoo and your hair is fine.
Oh, ok then. Where do you get hair glue? At a beauty suppy store? Also, do you have to wash it out and start again if you screw up? (thanks again for making this thread, im just trying to plan everything out.)

SF-A2 Miki (Vocaloid)