Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 598 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 07-02-2009, 04:22 PM   #1321
Lady Saya
Smile?

Name of Merchant: Wig Fashion
Website: http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Wig-Fashion__W0QQ_armrsZ1
Item purchased (please include quantity): Short blue wig
Links to picture(s) of your received item: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2114711/, http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2114712/
Timeline (how long your order took to process): About a week. They shipped the following day I paid.
Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments:
Even though it might be a bit lighter than the one pictured on their auction, I'm really happy with the wig. It's really soft and plus they included a free wig cap. Plus, the shipping was really fast for being free. I'm definitely buying from them again. :3
Final Grade: A+

//Planned Cosplays//
::Mari Illustrious Makinami [Evangelion]::
Lady Saya is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-03-2009, 08:51 PM   #1322
lynnafred
The Pioneer of Crumpets

Name of Commissioner: Cosplaycommish/Cosplaymandy
Website: http://s530.photobucket.com/albums/dd347/cosplaymandy/
Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.): Raven from Tales of Vesperia, full costume
Links to picture(s) of your received item: unfortunately, none. =/
Timeline (how long your order took to process): it couldn't have been more than a month between when I started to email her and when I got the costume.
Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments: Mandy's extremely quick with replying to emails and was really, really patient with all my questions and bad reference pictures. Her measurement guide was extremely easy to follow, and she was happy to give me progress reports along the way. I really can't say enough good things about her communication. I didn't really think the price was all that high either - I think I paid something like $130 for the entire thing. The costume is very nice, was made of good fabric, and held up to my wear very well for its first photoshoot. I've since managed to ruin the shirt, but I think it was more me abusing the crap out of it than from anything she had done.
Final Grade: A/A+

Definite Cosplays 2011:
I have no idea what I'm doing anymore... ._.

Feel free to add me on facebook! (Just let me know who you are so I don't o_O)
lynnafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #1323
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated <3
Kanira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 09:17 PM   #1324
nissa

Name of Commissioner: KawaiiWigs

Website/C.com gallery: http://www.kawaiiwigs.net/

Character commissioned and series/video game: Blair from Soul Eater Wig

Links to picture(s): Received no pictures, progress or completed.

Timeline: March-July 09

Pros: Initially super quick response, detailed quote and gives you lots of information on the timeline needed.

Cons: After payment was received, payment dropped away. Thought maybe she was just busy so left it. Once late June arrived and no contact (with the original agreement being that it would be here "by July") sent off an email asking how it was going and received no reply. Have also sent off another email asking for details as to whether or not it would be finished so as I could make other arrangements and still no reply. According to her myspace she's been online and active.

Comments: Not recommended. Will update if circumstances change.

UPDATED: Received one more email similar to "of course you'll have it in time, I'll send progress pictures within the week". Convention came and went, no wig, no progress pictures, and no more emails.

Final Grade: F

Last edited by nissa : 08-11-2009 at 08:53 AM.
nissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 03:13 AM   #1325
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated!
Unread 07-09-2009, 08:19 PM   #1326
MaryRyanBogard
A misfit among misfits

Question: if you bought from someone with an eBay storefront who also takes "special orders", and a recent transaction involved both a "special order" and a premade item they offered, would that considered dealing with a "merchant" or a "commissioner" and should I post separate reviews for each purchase?

The orders were placed on the same day, and the two items will arrive together (combined shipping). Also, it was two different items, not a requested duplicate of a premade item or a premade in lieu of a commission.

Ginny Weasley and the Midnight Magic Party- the closest thing to a website I have right now.
MaryRyanBogard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2009, 08:21 AM   #1327
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Two separate reviews would likely cover all bases Curious situation
Unread 07-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #1328
Krethes
It's hammer time

Name of Merchant: Zhenna0036, A.K.A. Designer Wigs and Color Wigs

Website: http://stores.ebay.com/Designer-Wigs-and-Color-Wigs

Item purchased (please include quantity): One 51" Sky Blue Bangs Cosplay Ex-Long Straight Wigs L3-6

Links to picture(s) of your received item:
(similar to the red one that Yazoo_the_Kazoo bought, only in sky blue; and this is with, oh...seven inches cut off from the bottom by my own doing)
http://sarentegra.deviantart.com/art...ease-124500228
http://sarentegra.deviantart.com/art...-joo-124500349
http://sarentegra.deviantart.com/art...love-124500290
http://i30.tinypic.com/34s2ud5.jpg

Timeline (how long your order took to process):
Around 15 business days (Mon-Fri), which isn't bad at all, really.

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments: I bought this wig for my Youji from Loveless cosplay, and it was the same price as a wig a good eleven inches shorter, so naturally I got the longer one and put the other fibres aside for later. I adore this seller now and as this wig was my first purchase with them, I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the wig fibres and the thickness of the wig, which I had some worries about. It tangled, of course, but then- it's 51" long- what do you expect? A bit of Mane N' Tail and Motions Sheen Spray goes a long way, though. <3 I highly recommend this seller- and best of all, most if not all of their stuff has free shipping!

Final Grade: A+
Unread 07-11-2009, 01:32 AM   #1329
Miyako-chan
is a complete anime geek

Commissioner: Amanda White
Commission: Botan wig from yu yu hakusho

Around March I commissioned a wig for Botan from Yu Yu Hakusho. I paid over $100 dollars to have the wig made. At the time of the commission, the wig maker was fully aware I needed the wig for a con in mid July (Otakon). Everything was going well and I kept in good contact with her all through the process. Then, 3 weeks before the con, she said it was finished and she would be sending me pictures for my final approval before shipping. All great right? Not. I never heard from her after that. I kept sending her numerous e-mails trying to get a status on the wig. Now, here I am, one week before the convention with no wig for my very expensive costume. Yesterday, my mom and I contacted paypal to figure out what we could do. They gave us the wig makers phone number and we called and left a message. No response as of yet and ... surprise surprise, when we tried to call again, her phone was turned off. Now we're on the phone with the bank and visa trying to get our money back. Meanwhile, my costume is ruined. I have exactly one week to find a blue wig that's the right color and try to style it myself. Since it's the weekend though, any website I buy from will most likely not get it to me in time. I'm going to try to go around town to various wig places, but I don't hold out much hope. Wish me luck.

Final Grade: F
Miyako-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2009, 10:16 AM   #1330
ladylada
Stark Raving Sane

I'll probably be doing a bunch of these over the next week or so, as everything comes in.

Name of Merchant: Wigs-Us (user wfp-wigs on ebay)

Item purchased:Silver Men's Wig

Links to picture(s) of your received item: (Will post when I have them)

Timeline (how long your order took to process): 5 days from order to arrival

Experience: I ordered the above wig from them for an Akihiko cosplay on Monday. The next day, I get an e-mail from them stating that the wig is out of stock, but they can offer a color or style replacement at no additional charge. I opted for the style replacement, asking them to please find as similar a style as they could.

While waiting for the wig to arrive, I noticed something strange: despite the fact that the merchant knew they were out of stock of that particular wig, the listing stayed up, with the stock listed as 4. This makes me wonder how many other listings they have like that.

At any rate, the substitution arrived yesterday morning. The wig itself is fairly thick, but the color's off--a dingy grey as opposed to a silver-white. The style is longer than the one pictured, though it should work with a little trimming.

Final Grade: B-. Would be higher, but the listing staying up after they became aware they were out of stock worries me. I probably would not purchase from them again, as I like to know what I'm getting. However, it could just be a fluke. Their prices are decent, shipping is quick, and communication was good.
ladylada is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2009, 10:56 AM   #1331
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Yikes; good luck, Miyako-chan.
And we're updated!
Unread 07-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #1332
Jasette
That was awkward.

Name of Commissioner: Ai_no_kaku

Website/C.com gallery: http://ainokakucommissions.tk/

Character commissioned and series/video game: Johnny K. Gambino's G Bracelets, Buckle and Pin (from Gaia Online)

Links to picture(s): Received no pictures, progress or completed.

Timeline: March 24th-??? (Was supposed to receive items by late June at the very latest, it is now July 11th.)

Pros: Incredibly kind, informative and responsive in the early and even late stages of commissioning.

Cons: Unresponsive as from May 29th to July 28th, and I did not receive commissioned items on time for my convention. (which was a shame because a lot of people were expecting me to have my costume fully completed and pimped out.)

Comments: Ai had some serious health problems during the middle of this time period and as such there was a bit of a delay, which I completely understood. What I don't understand is that on May 29th she claimed to be cured, feeling better and almost done with my items and yet as of July 10th, at least 10 days from my very latest due date, I have not received my items and she has not responded to any of my messages. She logged on to her cosplay.com account about a week ago so she at least has had the ability to use the internet. I would be more understanding if she had just told me about whatever was preventing her from getting me my items. I actually commissioned Ai because the review on this forum praised her so highly and claimed she was a very fast and high quality person to commission.

I will adjust this review as soon as conditions change.

I just got an email from Ai today (the 28th of July):

"Hi,

I am so sorry that your props never arrived! I did mail them out a week before you said you needed them. I've spent the last month in the hospital with Pnuemonia and just got out earlier this week. I actually have a friend who updates and runs my site. I have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to those sort of things. What I can do is make a new set of props and ship them, all at my expense. I'll also throw in a free prop of your choice. I really really apologize! I will go buy the materials tonight.

<3 Ai"

Final Grade: B. I expect to change this grade to an A or A- once my items are finally received. Ai has never been anything but kind and understanding in her emails and as such I trust that she will do her best to get my items to me.

Last edited by Jasette : 07-28-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Jasette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2009, 09:06 PM   #1333
winterwish
Explosive Photographer!

Name of Commissioner: pho3nix

Website/C.com gallery: N/A

Character commissioned and series/video game: Shinpachi/Gintama

Links to picture: http://www.cosplay.com/costume/237142/

Timeline: June 1st - July 1st

Pros: fast response and easy to contact to any requests I had. Sample fitting and re-adjustment of costume (was not expecting this level of service, very much appreciated)

Cons: see below statement

Comments: slight construction error in the sleeves which I didn't mind - but comissioner adjusted costume.

Final Grade: B+

Winter Wish/Cosplay Photography:
http://winterwish.net

Upcoming Cons: Fanime, Anime Expo, Yaoicon
Willing to do shoots around the SF area via PM.

Last edited by winterwish : 07-11-2009 at 10:04 PM.
winterwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 12:51 AM   #1334
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated <3
Unread 07-12-2009, 08:20 PM   #1335
Jasette
That was awkward.

Name of Commissioner: hunny_lee
Website/C.com gallery: http://stores.ebay.com/hunny-lee
Character commissioned and series/video game: Kyoko of Skip Beat -- two patches and white belt with bag
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: http://www.cosplay.com/costume/217661/
Timeline: April 25th - June 1st(ish). She shipped it on May 20th.

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments.

Pros: Hunny lee made this cosplay wearable for me! I had bought the pink jumpsuit off an ebay vintage store, so all I needed were the patches and the belt with the bag. Hunny only charged me $40 shipped for all of that which was really impressive especially considering she's sometimes considered to be one of those "overpriced chinese sellers." She was very communicative and made sure I understood I'd have to sew on the patches myself (they aren't really sewn patches, more like printed clothing decals, but they're still very well made), and paid attention to every detail, including how long the belt would have to be since Kyoko tilts it when worn.

The belt and bag are made out of really wonderful material -- very comfortable and nice to touch. I don't know what they're made out of but I like it. XD A lot. She also made the belt the PERFECT length! and the bag is really cute. I'm excited to wear this cosplay to a convention! I would have worn it at Anime Expo but it's a little hard to get into since it's a jumpsuit and I was really tired from dancing the day I was going to wear it. XD <3

Cons: absolutely none!

Final Grade: A+ I would definitely go to Hunny Lee again!

Last edited by Jasette : 07-12-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Jasette is offline   Reply With Quote