Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Cosplay Newbies

Unread 08-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #1
KittyLuck
Kitty~meow?

Materials for cosplay?

What are some good materials to use??? I am a noob at making things but I think I can do it. I just don't know where to start for materials and fabrics. X_X;

Unread 08-03-2009, 10:10 PM   #2
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

What you use is going to completely depend on what you decide to cosplay. If you have at least an idea, then people can help you out a bit better. Because what is good for one costume could be terribly wrong for another.
Unread 08-04-2009, 01:48 AM   #3
AlbinoPlant

It all depends on the character you pick because many costumes have different apparent textures, but if you are interested in making a prop or three to accompany your cosplay, there are a bunch of easy materials that work very well.
Examples: CARDBOARD, craft foam, hot glue, model magic and other clays, paper mache, styrofoam

Upcoming Conventions:
Tekkoshocon, AnimeNEXT, Otakon
Unread 08-04-2009, 10:52 PM   #4
KittyLuck
Kitty~meow?

hmmm I was actually hoping for a basic list of materials and their descriptions...

but if you need a costume :P maybe like Kallen from code geass, she has some weird kinda material for her main outfit. I have been putting some REALLY serious thought into this anime, and research (including other people's research that I have found) :P ehhh for that costume ima just post another topic... I was just hoping for this to be something me and other new comers could come back to to have a general list of possible materials to use.
Unread 08-04-2009, 11:20 PM   #5
Kelley
Devil of Details

If you need descriptions of different materials, try Googling, "types of fabric".

I've found some really great lists that way.
Unread 08-04-2009, 11:58 PM   #6
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

again it all depends on what costume you want. but here's a list of things i think work for various types of costumes.

for kimono/yukata:
cotton. it can be very light so with as many layers as you might need, you won't get too hot, depending on the color. for a darker color such as black or navy, if you're going to layer it, you'll want a lighter weight (aka a thinner cotton). as always, pick a heavier weight if it's going to be a light color such as white so it won't be so see-through. it's a good choice because it comes in various colors and patterns.

military uniforms:
twill. it's a heavy duty fabric. think of how tough denim is. well it's sort of similar but retains a more formal appearance. it also comes in a variety of colors so you can find the perfect shade for any hetalia cosplay, fma uniforms, etc. because of it's thickness, it's not too unrealistic a choice if whatever your costume is were a real uniform.

lolita-type/inspired costumes:
depending on the look, cotton is a good bet. cotton is, in my opinion, best because in a lolita-inspired outfit, it's usually taken the look on a poofy skirt. to achieve this, you'll need to fit a petticoat under it. cotton will not weigh down the petticoat yet still look nice.

female school uniforms/sailor-fuku:
cotton or linen. i use cotton. i know for a fact that cotton pleats very well, which is usually seen in these types of uniforms. i haven't used linen yet but i hear it holds just as well. it's also a nice texture and comes in enough colors to compensate for all the weird uniforms out there. and if you can't find the right color, cotton is easily dye-able because it's a natural fiber.

gakuran or suits:
this is a gakuran. for this i would suggest a suiting material, or if it's a really weird color maybe twill. suiting material is for suits. kinda speaks for itself.

bodysuits/leotards/superhero costumes/plugsuits:
there are a few materials to choose from. cotton lycra (think that stretchy t-shirt material), spandex, stretch vinyl. any sort of stretchy material. cotton lycra is more matte, spandex is more common in pre-made bodysuits (which you'll want to look into if you're a relatively new sewer). cotton lycra i think looks amazing, but i understand why people don't always use it. not to scare anyone away, but it breathes horribly and you will probably sweat a lot in it.

leather substitute/boot covers, orgXIII coats:
vinyl, no doubt about it. it looks like leather, feels like leather, but doesn't cost as much as leather.

tutus/petticoats:
tulle or netting. it's stiff and will hold it's poof very well. i believe organdy is also used but don't quote me on that haha.

here are some fabrics i recommend staying away from.
satin: i mean the cheap-o kind. it'll show all your sewing flaws and is too shiny for any sort of forgiveness. it also even looks cheap.
broadcloth: it's pretty much cotton. but it's TOOOOO thin. like...you can see through it. really.
those are really the two most hated fabrics in cosplay.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
Unread 08-05-2009, 01:10 AM   #7
Neshama

And i would add that shiny fabric is usually tacky. It goes off of the "satin is a bad idea thang" but just in general unless it is necessary for the costume avoid shiny.
Unread 08-05-2009, 01:16 AM   #8
KittyLuck
Kitty~meow?

*HUGS* thats perfect! Just the kinda thing I was looking for! ^.^

aslo I have some fabrics to add.

PVC has a nice sheen to it and can be used in making some accessories like belts and that, but some people prefer to make the whole outfit outta it when it fits... I think its better to use it as an accent for things. I have heard of people using it as a leather replacement though.

Gabardine is like godly... its a form of twill and can be used for making suits or overcoats or trousers. Its ribbed on one side though and personally I found it kinda irritating. Lining it with something else makes it perfect though. =3

Last edited by KittyLuck : 08-05-2009 at 01:22 AM.
Unread 08-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #9
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyLuck View Post
*HUGS* thats perfect! Just the kinda thing I was looking for! ^.^

aslo I have some fabrics to add.

PVC has a nice sheen to it and can be used in making some accessories like belts and that, but some people prefer to make the whole outfit outta it when it fits... I think its better to use it as an accent for things. I have heard of people using it as a leather replacement though.

Gabardine is like godly... its a form of twill and can be used for making suits or overcoats or trousers. Its ribbed on one side though and personally I found it kinda irritating. Lining it with something else makes it perfect though. =3
PVC, while great looking, isn't easy to work with if you are either newb or don't know how to work with anything leathery. I have made a whole outfit from it, it turned out great, but it takes a lot long. I do like your idea to use it for accessories and the like though!

As for gabardine...that is one of my ultimate favorite types to work with. I've worked with various types, and it is a dream. It cuts easily, sews just as easily, and hangs beautifully. I've never had a problem with it being irritating, but that could be because I line pretty much everything I would use a gabardine for.
Unread 08-05-2009, 04:34 PM   #10
KittyLuck
Kitty~meow?

nah... no one else seems to have a problem with it either. =( I dunno I just found it itchy >_<; not really itchy but like ants in your pants itchy. Irritating is what i call it >.< but everyone else I show the fabric to thinks its fine. I will just do what you do and line it with something. Something really soft!

Last edited by KittyLuck : 08-05-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Unread 08-05-2009, 05:32 PM   #11
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyLuck View Post
nah... no one else seems to have a problem with it either. =( I dunno I just found it itchy >_<; not really itchy but like ants in your pants itchy. Irritating is what i call it >.< but everyone else I show the fabric to thinks its fine. I will just do what you do and line it with something. Something really soft!
Regular lining fabric will be just fine to line it with. That or something like a good cotton. It all will depend on the weight you want your costume and how hot or cold it will be when you wear it.
Unread 08-06-2009, 12:17 AM   #12
mini_kitten_o5

Not sure if it will be useful, but be careful when working with anything leather like. If you mess up on the stitching and decide to pull re-do it, your stitching holes will stay there and be medium level visible.

Unread 08-06-2009, 03:14 AM   #13
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

GUYS GUYS GUYS! I just re-read my post since I can't sleep. And I realized that I said cotton lycra isn't breatheable. I can't edit it right now since I'm on my phone but in case I forget, I meant that stretch vinyl looks amazing but isn't breathable.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt