Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-04-2009, 12:43 AM   #31
RogueMimzy
back after a hiatus~

Alright, now that I've had a bunch of my original questions answered by this thread, on to specifics!

I have fallen desperately in love with Steampunk... but I want to make sure I'm doing it right. Like others have said, making the clothing accurate to the period itself will make an outfit stand out more. So, I have questions about what might lie beneath the button-up jacket

I hope to use this design for my captain's jacket (brown burnout taffeta, lined in dusky blue something). But seeing as most of the conventions I attend are during the summer, I want to be able to take off the jacket (or at least open it up every so often) and have something nifty underneath. Originally, I had the idea of a waist cincher (that dusky blue material, or black pleather) over a cream/off-white period blouse. Would this work? Would a corset be better? I've seen so very many female Steampunk designs that incorporate leather corsets or waist-cinchers, but I'm not quite sure how they work into the period... *hasn't done enough period clothing research yet* Also, are pants acceptable for Steampunk women? I wanted to include a knee-length skirt with maybe bloomers or straight-leg pants for underneath, but the only thing I know I really want right now is the jacket. I was also considering a fishtail-looking skirt, but I'm not entirely sure that would be appropriate or practical for an airship captain, which is what my character is.

More questions about something different

My friend wants to do a Steampunk doctor or medic. What might you all suggest to put in his doctor's bag? Regular doctor's tools? Anything in particular that might be Steampunk-specific, like a set of screwdrivers for mechanical parts or oil for hinges? Just trying to brainstorm.

Thanks muchly
See you at Miraicon | CPAC | Connecticon | Otakon | NYCC | Derpycon
facebook
RogueMimzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-05-2009, 03:59 AM   #32
Giedrius

hello everypone
on september i gona go to some small cosplay
and was thinking about making steampunk mad hatter from alice in wonderland
and i have a problem
what accessory i shuld use?
i already have made one liitle thingy out of old clock andit will go on my hat http://giedriusonline.deviantart.com...sory-132190762

My DeviantArt galery ~Giedriusonline
Giedrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 04:52 AM   #33
Kelley
Devil of Details

@shinjuchan, Trying my best not to offend anyone, but I think the "corset as outerwear", especially in Steampunk is a really overdone cliché.

I know 100% historical accuracy is not the point of Steampunk - though a corset over a shirt would NEVER be done (in any period I can think of outside modern "costuming" - though I admit I don't know a great deal about traditional Asian costume, speaking of which, a semi-authentic obi-belt might be kind of awesome - and, if you're going Victorian influence - the Victorians did love Japan - and there are examples of Japanese influence in Victorian women's dresses), unless you were a mentally ill prostitute or something (that's not meant as insulting - that's just... pretty much who I can think of that would have done that, maybe a really sloshed housewife, I dunno) - but it's still really over-done.

I urge the thinking of practicality when it comes to designing a costume for a self-created character. What would your character wear ? If a fishtail skirt is not practical for fighting or whatever you do on an airship, don't wear one. If it's a fancy-dress on-world attire, make the whole outfit like that.

Women throughout history have cross-dressed for practical reasons. Sometimes not fully - for instance, wearing a skirt over pants was certainly done.

As for the doctor - I would urge the person to think about their character, and what their character would need or use - not just what's neat-o and gimicky. Look into actual period instruments, go from there - some are certainly weird and cool-looking all on their own.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 08:47 AM   #34
paper cosplay
going 2D in a 3D artform

personally I prefer going more weird west with my steam punk, more cowboy then Victorian.

with the doctors bag. colored glass bottles for medichine. bone saw. ear trumpet for listening to the hart

I did a search for 19th century medical tools this is one of the sites I found
http://collectibles.about.com/od/med...Smedical_3.htm
Unread 08-08-2009, 12:25 AM   #35
lilibat
gamer geek goth girl

I have been doing the Steamgoth thing for quite a while now, so I have a it of experience here.

Start with Victorian or Edwardian clothing and build on that.

Don't be afraid of colour, unless it's flourscent which tends to not work.

Spend lots of time looking at pictures. brassgoggles , steamfashion LJ and good old google should help.

Check out my deviant art link in my sig., I have been making Steampunk objects and accessories for some time now. No, not trying to sell anything I no longer do that as I don't have time.

Lots of women doing the adventurer type thing go with pants. Jodhpurs with tall boots or spats work well. You can go with a blouse and waist cincher or a corset. Both work.

You can get antique and reproduction antique medical devices on ebay, there is a lot of interesting stuff here.

Here are a couple of pictures of me in different steampunkish outfits. 1 - 2 - 3

Last edited by lilibat : 08-08-2009 at 12:37 AM. Reason: blorg
lilibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2009, 09:52 AM   #36
RogueMimzy
back after a hiatus~

Thank you so much everyone ^^ You've given me a lot to think about.
See you at Miraicon | CPAC | Connecticon | Otakon | NYCC | Derpycon
facebook
RogueMimzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #37
Nachoman
Workmanship Nazi

Shinjuchan:
If you go for pants, remember to get a male pattern. Female-patterned slacks didn't get designed till after the Great War (WWI).
Unread 08-17-2009, 01:13 PM   #38
Kelley
Devil of Details

Actually, it depends on the "pants".

There were women's "pants" before WWI, and not just the bulky "bloomers".

See here : http://www.costumes.org/HISTORY/vict...ges/03_043.htm The Equestrienne Trousers (with the demonstrated lady riding side-saddle too, of all things) - which were enough in fashion and accepted enough to make it into a tailoring guide (I have not seen the "bloomers" in any of these).

Also, pre-1900 men's pants were cut noticeably different from post-1900 (well, it was a few years after 1900, but whatever) dress pants. Men's "dress slacks" of today do not have the same shape as they once did.

Victorian (an early Victorian example, but the shape remains throughout) : http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/1...aug1853cw9.jpg
Modern : http://www.boscovs.com/wcsstore/bosc...7404858423.jpg
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2009, 07:53 PM   #39
rawien8706
has mad [photo] skills

This thread has given me good ideas since I'm looking into doing at least a little steampunk cosplaying myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by questionablekri View Post
Also, for steampunk costumes I've found it's better to have an idea of what kind of character you want before you put something together because sometimes things don't work for certain characters and having too much can end up looking miss-mashy. Ex: goggles work more for the mechanics/airship captains/etc because they'd be a necessy and functional piece whereas they'd just look random on a more upperclass/aristocrat character. (unless you were some upperclass airship captain or something.)
Glad you mentioned about characters. Though I know you're probably talking about mechanics and the alike, even knowing an anime/video game character helps too...

I'm thinking steampunk!axel or steampunk!riku from kh2. Comments? Suggestions?

Yes, I am one of those indecisive cosplayers . . . so be fair warned.
CosplayFacebook || DeviantART || YouTube || Etsy || PhotogFacebook

rawien8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 08:39 PM   #40
WilwarinAndamar
Anime NebrasKon staff

I'm fairly new to steampunk and attempting my first original costume at NebrasKon this year. I'm starting small, making a reticule embroidered with cogs on one side and my name in Victorian-style script on the other.

This costume will also be a significant challenge for me; my goal is to create a quality costume without spending any money on it. All materials used will be what I have hoarded over the years as a cosplayer. ^_^

I have a shirt that I'm going to mod using the Threadbanger's tutorial on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbxRdDjp67g). I also have patterns for the skirt and corset and (hopefully) enough fabric for both.

Watch the Awesome Rangers saga!
*AR3 trailer here*
WilwarinAndamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2009, 12:05 AM   #41
ShikaChu

Old post, but threadbanger.com has a whole week dedicated to Steampunk. I love her outfit and I can make it all.

I'm planning on doing steampunk for my friends Sweet 16. It's a masquerade and I wasn't sure what to do as a mask. Not goggles. I'm doing aristocrat. Though I'm not sure what to do with my hair (I was thinking faux-hawk) or if I should do a masque that's period appropriate or if I should make the mask steampunk and not masquerade-esque.
Well. This is awkward.

Last edited by ShikaChu : 09-27-2009 at 12:18 AM.
ShikaChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 09:17 AM   #42
Gaku_X
All around dork-face

[quote=questionablekri;2595374]A good place for ideas for steampunk help/ideas/etc would be this forum: http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php (specifically the tactile and anatomical boards.)
QUOTE]

BG.Go there,read things.Yes.
Even if this is a semi-necro-bump,this is something I feel the need to ramble on about.
Don't think you HAVE TO go for gears all over,goggle wearing sky-pirate/mad scientist/inventor-engineer look.
If you give BG a good prodding,you'll unearth steampulp,absinthepunk,gypsysteam,steamorient,weir dwest-Loads of offshoot styles have sprouted out of the main hub of steampunk.
One can go in many directions from the main ideas,and I suggest developing a persona before putting together outfits.
I just urge anyone wanting to jump into the whole steam realm to really give it a look first,and come up with something all your own.I love seeing people change,and influence the community with new ideas and styles.
Aspiring to the look of others is alright,but as has been said in many topics like this-steampunk is not just gears and goggles.

Silent Hill Hybrid Nurse(For Haunt)
Angelique-Hellraiser(For Haunt)
Kirie Himuro-Fatal Frame
Gaku_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 10:07 AM   #43
Alegrah
VictorianGraveRobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieCL View Post
My advice would be don't get too wrapped up in "Is it Steampunk or not?" Define it too rigidly and you loose your artistic license. Not every idea has to be some adventuring Victorian Brit. There's the "Weird" West (i.e cowboys). There's Chinese/Eastern influences you can bring in. Brown and brass are good colors, but there's other palletes and shades that can be made to work.

Think anchronistic technology - modern concepts with past technology. Functionality, every bit and do-dad should look like it has a reason for being there (whether it actually works doesn't matter).
I totally agree! Also, some things that you can put in, are almost "lolita effects" A costume that I've designed and would be happy to show has the large skirt and a military jacket, but lots of brass buttons and a brass "crinoline". Also, I like keeping a bit of femininity in my costumes. Also, if you're just starting out, I think it's best to take some simple items from second hand stores and alter them, and make on small piece to start out. Or make accessories from scratch.

Alegrah Eredschtadt ~ Original character (steampunk genre) ~ back story to come soon ~ 15% (For Ancient City Con 4)
Alegrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2010, 10:39 PM   #44
blackwindow12

Anyone know any places in/around brisbane where I can find steampunk clothing and/or Gear pieces and things to use EG pressure gauges piping.. ETC
thankyou!!!
I'm kinda grumpy today, dude. I didn't get a lot of sleep last night. I was having those dreams again. Ya know, how it's just me in a castle and I gotta fight, like, a thousand wizards and the only way to beat them is to punch them as hard as I can in their faces. Then, when I'm done, all their little wizard wives came out and wanted me to have sex with them - which is kinda weird.
blackwindow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 10:21 PM   #45
Braithcakes
Doggie Ninja!

defining steampunk= impossible.

and to ask cosplayers to give the do's and don'ts, while there are some really AMAZING answers here, probably isn't the best thing to do.

I'd go to brassgoggles.co.uk and looka round their forum, or maybe ask around the forum, you may see some things that surprise you ^^

anyways, here's my opinions

Do's: Try to make it period accurate if you can.
Don'ts: overdo it on the machinary/goggles/brass part, subtlety is good too.
also don't: find some way to upset the real steampunks at conventions 0_0 they will laser you.
Soul Eater: Blaire(male)- Page 12, Chapter 73.
Male Dagger/Garnet: Final Fantasy-9

2011 Cons:
Megacon '11
Metrocon '11
Braithcakes is offline   Reply With Quote